|“||Did I forget to mention something earlier when we were talking about my birth mother the one that gave me up. Her name was Isobel. Go ahead, reminisce about how you killed her.||”|
MOTHERS, BACHELORS AND BLOOD — Matt and Caroline are surprised by the sudden reappearance of Matt’s mother Kelly. Stefan and Elena are worried about Damon’s new attitude. Damon is asked by Sheriff Forbes to take part in a fund-raising bachelor auction. Alaric discovers shocking secrets from his own past. With help from Jenna and Stefan, Elena is determined to find out everything she can about her birth mother, but the truth may be more than she can handle.
- Antagonist: Isobel Flemming.
- Isobel's cellphone number is shown: 919-399-2507.
- This episode establishes it's now 2010 in the series timeline.
- Bethanne seems to have the only other daylight ring of the tomb vampires, Pearl and Harper, as she is seen seating on a bench in the sun as Harper walks through downtown Mystic Falls.
- Since Bethanne seems to have a daylight ring, this implies that the other tomb vampires may have had rings too but were caught without them on.
- Alaric learns from Jenna that Elena is his wife Isobel's daughter, which means that Elena is technically his step-daughter.
- Elena learns that Damon killed her birth mother Isobel and turned her into a vampire in 2007.
- Elena hears her birth mother Isobel's voice for the first time over the phone.
- The Gilbert Ring's abilities are first seen in this episode when Alaric was staked in the lung and killed by Damon after he attacked him at the boarding house, and was subsequently resurrected by the ring.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Kelly Donovan.
- This is the first episode of the third chapter of Season One, The Lineage Chapter.
- Elena meets Trudie Peterson in this episode, her mother's best friend from high school.
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- Hiker - Drained of his blood; killed by Harper.
- Trudie Peterson - Thrown downstairs; killed by unknown compelled man.
- Mystery Man - Killed by truck driver after stepping in front of it. (compelled to kill himself by Isobel).
- Alaric Saltzman - Staked; killed by Damon Salvatore, but resurrected by his ring.
- Jeremy does not appear in this episode.
- This is the first episode of the series to not feature Jeremy. It is the only episode of the first season without him. As a result, his character has appeared in the most episodes during a single season at this point, excluding the main three characters (Elena, Damon and Stefan)
- It is also the only episode which Anna appears in but Jeremy does not.
- Tyler and Bonnie do not appear in this episode either.
- This episode features the most mothers of the main characters: Elena, Caroline, Tyler and Matt's moms are all featured.
- This is the first appearance of Alaric Saltzman as a series regular.
- Kayla Ewell makes a cameo in this episode as Vicki. A photo of her, Zach Roerig and Melinda Clarke, which was most likely taken just for this episode, can be seen on the fridge when Matt gets ice for Kelly.
- A Few Good Men, a play by Aaron Sorkin, was first produced on Broadway by David Brown in 1989. Sorkin adapted his work into a screenplay for a 1992 film directed by Rob Reiner, produced by Brown and starring Tom Cruise, Jack Nicholson and Demi Moore.
- Duke University, a Private university located in Durham, North Carolina.
- Fox Mulder, a protagonist from The X-Files (a paranormal TV show that aired from 1993–2002) who believed in extraterrestrial life.
- The Real Housewives of...
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 3.33 million viewers in the USA, which was 0.18 million less than the previous episode.
- Harper: "Do you know what day it is?"
- Hiker: "It's Saturday."
- Harper: "And what year?"
- Hiker: "...It's 2010."
- Jenna: "Listen, there's something else. Mr. Saltzman... Ric? His wife was from around here, and her name was also Isobel."
- Elena: "Wait... "was," as in."
- Jenna: "...She died."
- Damon: "No... Buzzkill Bob. Greetings."
- Stefan: "Can we talk?"
- Damon: "Yeah."
- Stefan: "Without the TriDelts?"
- Elena: "When was the last time you saw her?"
- Trudie Peterson: "About seventeen years ago, when she left to go have you. We kept in touch for a while, but you know people drift apart."
- Matt: "So, where have you been?"
- Kelly Donovan: "Here and there. Never one place too long. You know Pete."
- Matt: "No actually, I don't because, you've never brought him around."
- Stefan: "I asked Damon without saying too much. He doesn't remember."
- Alaric: "Ask him again."
- Stefan: "Damon is not stable right now."
- Alaric: "You know he murdered my wife, or at the very least made a meal out of her. When has he been stable?"
- Sheriff Forbes: "Oh, come on help me out. Carol Lockwood won't let me live it down if I come empty-handed."
- Damon: "You know, a room full of women clamoring to win a date with me? Sounds tasty."
- Elena: "He's fine."
- Stefan: "He's Damon."
- Elena: "Maybe this heartache will be good for him-- it will remind him that he has one, even if it doesn't beat."
- Carol Lockwood: "Do you have any hobbies? Do you like to travel?"
- Damon: "Oh yeah. L.A., New York-- a couple of years ago I was in North Carolina, near the Duke campus actually. I think-- I think Alaric went to school there, didn't you Ric? Yeah, except I know your wife did. I had a drink with her once. She was--she was a great girl. Did I ever tell you that? 'Cause she was delicious. Mmm, mmm, mmm."
- Damon: "This is a shame. We're kindred spirits bitten by the women we love. Unrequited love sucks. Sounds like I got a lung, which means I get to sit here and watch you die."