DANGEROUS LIAISONS — When Rebekah turns down Klaus’ plea to stop Kol and to protect Jeremy, Klaus turns to Stefan for help. After an angry confrontation with her father, Mayor Hopkins, over his unconventional approach to ending the violence in Mystic Falls, Bonnie has a frightening run-in with Kol, followed by an unexpected visitor. Klaus complicates the already tense feelings between Stefan and Damon by revealing a bit of Stefan’s personal life, then surprises Damon by asking for personal advice. Elena tells Stefan about her dangerous plan for Jeremy, leaving Stefan in a difficult spot. When the high school’s 1980s Decade Dance is cancelled by Mayor Hopkins, Stefan finds a charming way to make it up to a disappointed Rebekah.
- Antagonists: Kol Mikaelson and Niklaus Mikaelson.
- Kol appears in this episode, making this the second time he has appeared in three straight episodes.
- Kol's vampire visage is seen for the first time when he attacks Bonnie.
- This marks the first time Caroline is absent for two episodes in a row. She was, however, mentioned by Bonnie, Klaus, and Damon in this episode.
- Katherine Pierce was mentioned by Jeremy when he suggests that the Mystic Falls Gang needs to go into hiding like her if they don't succeed in their plan to find the cure.
- Klaus threatened to burn down the Gilbert House; in the previous episode, he suggested Kol would attempt this to get to them.
- Interestingly, Elena would ultimately be the one who truly burned down the house in Stand By Me following Jeremy's death.
- Vervain is put into the town's water supply by Bonnie's father Rudy Hopkins, who is the new mayor. Previously, Caroline's father Bill proposed that the town do the same at a Founder's Council meeting.
- Jeremy's Hunter's Mark is completed after he kills Kol with the white oak stake, which ultimately kills every single vampire in his no-doubt extensive vampire bloodline.
- Damon's compulsion to kill Jeremy ends with Kol's death.
- This episode marks the third death of an Original.
- This is the first episode to feature all three members of the Bennett Family: Rudy, Abby and Bonnie.
- Klaus and Kol are both invited into the Gilbert House for the first time in this episode; in Kol's case, he came back a second time some time after he was first granted entry.
- Rebekah is the only living Original vampire who has not been invited into the house.
- Kol speaks to Bonnie for the first time in this episode, though they met each other in After School Special.
- This episode featured the first decade dance to be cancelled on-screen.
- Caroline and Tyler do not appear in this episode.
- When Kol says he can't kill Jeremy with his own two hands or he'll suffer the hunter's curse, he says "hands" in Nathaniel Buzolic's natural Australian accent, rather than Kol's usual English accent. This variance can be justified as a result of Kol's world travels.
- Kol tells Elena that all of his family lived in New Orleans (except for Finn who was daggered at the time). That was proven to be true in Season One of the Originals - the Mikaelson siblings all lived in New Orleans for over 200 years: 1700s-1919; and eventually had to leave when Mikael chased them away.
- Kol also told Elena that Klaus daggered him at the turn of the 20th century, and when she asked him what he did, he replied asking what made her think he did anything. It was revealed later in Season Two, episode: The Map of Moments, that Kol was daggered for plotting against Klaus with the New Orleans witches and planning to build a dagger that would work even on Klaus.
- Abby was last seen in Season Three's Before Sunset.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Abby Bennett Wilson in the fourth season.
- Katherine was mentioned by Jeremy. She was last seen in We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes during Elena's hallucinations.
- This is the first episode not to feature Atticus Shane since his introduction in The Five.
- This is also the only episode before his death not to feature him.
- Rebekah makes a reference to Klaus about him daggering her, which was seen in The Five.
- Klaus, Stefan, Damon and Rebekah all mention the events from Catch Me If You Can.
- Kol mentions "Denver" and "batting cages," which was a reference to Kol and Jeremy's brief friendship seen in Heart of Darkness when Klaus sent Kol to keep an eye on Jeremy to use as leverage against Elena and Damon.
- Carol Lockwood was mentioned by Damon. She was killed by Klaus in O Come, All Ye Faithful.
- Lexi was mentioned by Stefan. She was last seen in We’ll Always Have Bourbon Street via flashbacks.
- Finn was mentioned by Bonnie. He was killed by Matt in The Murder of One.
- Kol first took possession of the White Oak Stake in After School Special.
- The dagger Rebekah has was the one she was daggered by in The Five, which was last seen when she threatened Kol with in Catch Me If You Can.
- The town's supply of vervain was destroyed in Growing Pains, but their shortage of the herb was replaced by Rudy in this episode when he found another source so he could lace the town's water supply.
- The last decade dance, which was the 1920s dance, was seen in Do Not Go Gentle.
- Although he told Elena that his fling with Rebekah in Dangerous Liaisons had nothing to do with her, Damon admits to Stefan that it was in fact "revenge sex."
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 2.57 million viewers in the USA, which was 0.14 million less than the previous episode.
- Hashtag during the airing is #VampsWannaHaveFun
- A View to a Kill is the fourteenth spy film of the James Bond series and the seventh and last Bond film to star Roger Moore. It's also the title of a stand alone single by Duran Duran which was also in the same movie.
- Bonnie mentions that she only made 89 red balloons which is a reference to Nena's song "99 Luftballons".
- Shoulder pads were considered by many the worst fashion offense of the '80s. Love them or hate them, they practically define much of the '80s pop fashion.
- Xbox - Microsoft's game console.
- Xbox brains - there is a misconception that people who play too many video games have shorter attention spans and can't concentrate on anything for longer than ten minutes. Other people blame it on TV - ten minutes is usually the interval between two sets of commercial breaks.
- Mary Sue - A character who is created to be admired, envied or pitied rather than empathized. It is often a fanfiction author's avatar. The fictional universe bends around Mary Sue - all the other characters are obsessed with her.
- Kol said: "They said if Silas rises, he'll unleash hell on Earth. I happen to like Earth just the way it is." This almost the same thing that Spike tells Buffy when they team up to foil Angelus in the end of Season Two of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Spike: "We like to talk big... vampires do. 'I'm going to destroy the world.' That's just tough-guy talk. Strutting around with your friends over a pint of blood. The truth is, I like this world. You've got... dog racing, Manchester United. And you've got people. Billions of people walking around like Happy Meals with legs."
- The Cure - English band formed in 1976. Considered Pop-Punk reached the apex of success in 1987 with the album Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me.
- Lloyd Dobler - John Cusack's character in the 1989 movie Say Anything....
- Boombox - popular name of a large cassette player with two loudspeakers. They packed loud music into a "portable" (for the time) device. Some were as big as a small suitcase - but they still could be carried around and operated in batteries.
- The Princess Bride - 1987 romantic comedy adventure by Rob Reiner. It's often listed as one of 100 best movies and is considered a Cult Movie.
- Breakfast Club - 1985 coming of age movie directed by John Hughes. Considered one of the best high school movies of all times. This movie featured corridor surfing.
- Corsage - a small bouquet used on a woman's dress or wrist. In the USA it is customary for a man to buy his date a corsage.
- Rebekah's outfit at the dance is somewhat reminiscent of many worn by Cindy Lauper around the time of her 1983 debut album, She's So Unusual. It also resembles those worn by Debbie Gibson and others in the late '80s.
- Escape Artist - one who is trained to escape from restrains and other traps.
- The Hulk - a fictional character by Marvel. He is a gigantic green superstrong mutant. Damon mentions him while in the cell, and later, when Kol's line of vampires die and Jeremy's Hunter's mark completes, he "hulks out" and rips his shirt just like Lou Ferrigno used to do in the TV Series The Incredible Hulk.
- A pot of gold is supposed to be at the end of the rainbow - but not the cure.
- Damon: "If you're gonna be bad, be bad with a purpose."
- Elena (to Bonnie): "I want Jeremy to kill Kol"
- Bonnie (to Elena): "You want him to kill an Original?"
- Klaus (to Stefan): "If you let Kol roam free, we can kiss the map to the cure goodbye."
- Kol (to Bonnie): "No one can get to the cure if you're too dead to find it."
- Kol (outside the Gilbert home to Elena, Jeremy and Matt on the inside): "Open the door and invite me in."
- Jeremy (to Elena): "We need Bonnie's help."
- Elena: "Oh, my God."
- Stefan: "They may be dysfunctional lunatics, but they stick together no matter what."
- Elena: "We need to find the dagger and use it on Rebekah."
- Rebekah: "This is my place, Nik, and I don't appreciate you invading my privacy like some kind of creeping Tom."
- Klaus: "Well, I apologize for breaking up this sordid little tryst, but I do have some urgent business... or have you forgotten our paranoid brother, Kol, is running around with the white oak stake and homicide on the brain?"
- Rebekah: "He tried to kill me last night. I didn't forget."
- Klaus: "Yes, well, unfortunately, he seems to have absconded with my set of daggers."
- Rebekah: "Oh, poor Nik. However will you get your way without your precious daggers? They were so handy when you wanted to end a conversation with one of us!"
- Klaus: "Kol's irrational fear of Silas has pushed him over the edge. We need to put him down before he does anymore damage. Now, I know you have the last dagger, and I know you seem to have some white oak ash, so hand it over."
- Rebekah: "Mm-hmm, and leave myself unprotected? You can file that request under "no chance in hell." Be gone by the time I have showered, lurkers aren't welcome here."
- Klaus: "Hello, mate."
- Damon: "What the hell are you doing here?"
- Klaus: "Babysitting."
- Damon: "Oh!"
- Stefan (about Damon): "Give him a vial of blood every couple of hours so he doesn't desiccate. If he gets too much strength back, or if he just annoys you, bleed him out again."
- Damon (about Stefan to him then to Klaus): "Silent treatment, huh? Is that your best shot? He's still pissed at me for sleeping with Elena."
- Klaus (to Damon about Stefan): "You sure about that? ´Cause I caught him trying to sneak out of Rebekah's bed this morning, which would suggest to me, he's moved on."
- Damon (to both of them): "Well, well. Looks like my brother ripped a page out of my revenge-sex handbook."
- Stefan (to both of them then to Klaus): "Oh, well, why don't you two enjoy your little... uh... villain bonding time. I'll let you know when I get the dagger from Rebekah." (He leaves)
- (Klaus smirks)
- Rebekah: "So is everything about the '80's so... excessive?"
- Stefan: "It had it's charm. Say Anything, Lloyd Dobler standing outside of a bedroom window with a boombox over his head, desperately trying to get back the girl of his dreams. Princess Bride, Wesley slays giant rats for love. Breakfast Club, one detention turns a bunch of outcasts into allies."
- Rebekah: "So it was a decade of sentimental drivel as well?"
- Stefan: "Well, I was gonna say love, friendship, possibility of anything happening. You would've loved it."
- Rebekah: "And why is that?"
- Stefan: "Because as much as we both hate to admit it, we care about those things."
- Rebekah: "What's going on with you? You're... fun tonight."
- Stefan: "I can't listen to this music without thinking of my best friend, Lexi. We spent most of the '80s together. I remember this one time she snuck us backstage and compelled half the band to do tequila shots with us before the show. She was fearless. Kinda like you."
- Rebekah: "So, you slept with her, too?"
- Stefan: "No, it wasn't like that. I was just a better person when I was with her. I didn't think I'd ever feel that way again."
- Rebekah: "Until Elena."
- Stefan: "Until Elena. And now that's over."
- Kol (to Bonnie): "No one can get to the cure if you're too dead to find it."
- Summary -