|This article is about Always and Forever, an episode of the first season of The Originals. You may be looking for Always and Forever, the vow made by members & relatives of the Mikaelson Family.|
|“||Forgive me, my brother. There is no power in love. Mercy makes you weak. Family makes you weak. If I am going to win this war, I have to do it alone.||”|
KLAUS MIKAELSON, THE ORIGINAL VAMPIRE/WEREWOLF HYBRID, RETURNS TO NEW ORLEANS IN THIS SPIN-OFF OF THE VAMPIRE DIARIES - Klaus Mikaelson, the original vampire-werewolf hybrid, has returned to the supernatural melting pot that is the French Quarter of New Orleans - the city his family helped build 300 years ago. Determined to help his brother, Elijah leaves their sister Rebekah behind and follows Klaus. Elijah learns that the beautiful and rebellious werewolf Hayley - Klaus' one-time flame - has fallen into the hands of a witch named Sophie Deveraux. When Sophie reveals some life-changing news, Elijah realizes that the Original family may have been given a second chance at humanity and redemption. Klaus, however, is more intrigued by his recent unexpected reunion with his former protégé, Marcel, a charismatic but diabolical vampire who now has total control over the supernatural inhabitants of New Orleans. Klaus vows to reclaim what was once his - the power, the city and his family. Cami and Davina also appear.
Key: * Also in archive footage
- Antagonists: Mikael (past) and Marcel (present).
- Narrator: Elijah Mikaelson.
- Title meaning: a reference to the vow Klaus, Elijah and Rebekah swore after their mother's death. It is also a reference to Elijah's point of view in this episode, and to the fact that he has always taken the vow to heart more than the others.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Sabine.
- Sabine knows Elijah without introduction.
- There is foreshadowing that she's really Celeste because she mentions "vengeful spirits" with an ironic roll of her eyes to the tourists whom she is showing around the Quarter. The irony in her voice is due to the fact that she herself is a vengeful spirit possessing the body of the Sabine, the tour guide and a French Quarter Witch.
- This is the first flashback episode of The Originals.
- Rebekah only appears in the flashbacks and during phone conversations with Elijah.
- Elijah is neutralized for the first time in the present on this new series, excluding the amount of times he was daggered on The Vampire Diaries.
- Marcel hints that Davina might be strong enough to take on the Originals in a fight.
- For the first time in this series, the Originals are referred to as the Old Ones by Davina.
- In this episode's flashbacks, Klaus shows his normal "Original vampire face" and normal vampire fangs, rather than his usual Original hybrid features, since the flashbacks take place before he broke the hybrid curse. This is the first time since The Vampire Diaries Season Two episode The Sun Also Rises.
- Sophie reveals that Jane-Anne had cast a linking spell upon her sister and Hayley. This served a similar function to the linking spell that Lucy performed to link Katherine to Elena in the Season Two episode Masquerade, what Esther did to link all of the Original children to each other in Season Three, and what Bonnie did to link herself to Katherine in Season Four.
- Each of these major linking spells were performed with either a different magic or spell. Jane-Anne incorporated the practice of Representational magic with Ancestral magic; Lucy presumably used Traditional or Spirit Magic; Esther used a Ritual incorporating blood of each of the children as well as the Doppelgänger, and Bonnie used Expression.
- This episode demonstrates that Klaus was forced to turn on his first human kill, which doesn't happen to any other hybrid—hybrids can only be made from triggered werewolves, which means they have already made their first human kill. This makes Klaus the only hybrid to ever turn in this way.
- At the end of the episode, Klaus and Elijah have moved into a plantation house just outside of the French Quarter. Elijah reveals this house to be his house, which he purchased to have as a headquarters for his business in the Quarter. This is the first time a home belonging to Elijah has been shown on either of the two series: in The Vampire Diaries, only homes of the Original siblings that were shown were Klaus' and Rebekah's. It was later revealed that the plantation home actually belonged to the Governor back in the 1820s, which is also where Marcel worked as a slave before he was adopted by Klaus.
- The coffin Finn was being stored in is shown, although Finn himself is not seen.
- This is the first episode of the first chapter of Season One, The Return Chapter.
- Elijah and Hayley meet in this episode and they talk about the baby.
- 3 unnamed humans - blood loss, killed by Rebekah.
- 1 unnamed human - blood loss, killed by Niklaus.
- 2 unnamed vampires - heart extraction, killed by Elijah.
- The title of the episode is a reference to a "pact" made by Rebekah, Klaus and Elijah in the episode Ordinary People to stay together, "always and forever."
- This is Mikael's first flashback episode since Ordinary People on The Vampire Diaries.
- This episode retells the pilot episode from Elijah's point of view, as a way to better acclimate new viewers to the family. As such, a significant percentage of the episode consists of archive footage, mainly from episode The Originals as well as: the first flashback in Ordinary People, Klaus breaking the curse in The Sun Also Rises and Klaus killing the hybrids in O Come, All Ye Faithful.
- This is the first episode in the series in which Henrik Mikaelson is mentioned by someone.
- This is the first episode where Sebastian Roché appeared as Mikael on The Originals, the third flashback he appeared in since The End of the Affair and Ordinary People, and the first episode Mikael made an appearance since The Vampire Diaries episode Homecoming (where Mikael was destroyed by Klaus with Mikael's own white oak stake.)
- Kol appears in this episode daggered in a coffin. He last appeared in The Vampire Diaries episode Graduation and this is his first appearance in a flashback.
- This marks the first time the white oak ash dagger has been used on The Originals and the first time in the TVD/TO universe since Klaus daggered Rebekah in Season Four of The Vampire Diaries.
- Chronologically, the flashback marks the moment that Klaus became a hybrid, when he makes his first human kill after being turned into a vampire and triggers his werewolf curse.
- This episode shows for the very first time the Hybrid Curse ritual that Esther had cast upon Klaus to make his werewolf side dormant.
- New Orleans
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 2.21 million viewers in USA.
- A body double portrayed Esther because the actress who portrays her, Alice Evans, was pregnant at that time so they had to replace her.
- Always and Forever is the name of a 1977 song released by Heatwave.
- The arrival of the Mikaelsons in American mirrors the arrival of Dracula to England in Bram Stoker's book.
- Always and Forever is or was a comedy, drama romance TV/Movie that was released in 2009.
- Always and Forever is the name of an album by British group Eternal.
- Always and Forever is a song and CD single by Greek singer Kostas Martakis.
- Always and Forever is a 1991 Swiss drama film directed by Samir.