|“||The rifts in this city run far deeper than I even imagined, Niklaus. These tribes, these factions-- they're families, families who choose to fight. Mayhem has descended upon our home, and if I'm to choose a side...To our victory, brother.||”|
THE BREAKING POINT — Desperate to help Kieran, Camille insists on an unconventional treatment, but her good intentions lead Kieran to a violent episode. After Klaus and Elijah disagree over the best way to handle the Crescent Wolves, Elijah makes a trip to the Bayou, where he is witness to a horrific explosion that only adds to the hatred and mistrust among the communities. While Jackson and Elijah work to save the wounded, Hayley learns a surprising piece of her family history from Marcel.
The episode begins with Father Kieran at the communion rail saying a prayer as another priest blesses him and prepares to give him communion. The hallucinations start. He's actually in the attic with Cami and Josh. Bastianna in the hallucination tries to get him to drink the wine, but he shoves her away. Outside of the hallucination, he shoved Cami as she tries to give him some water.
Cami and Josh try to talk him down, but he grabs Josh, thinking he's Sean, and tells him there are monsters in the city. Josh says he knows. Cami thinks she might have a way to save Uncle Kieran.
Klaus looks for the grimoire, but Elijah hid it. Klaus tells him he thought he would be happy that he is trying to help the werewolves, since helping them also helps Hayley and the baby, but it doesn't move him to give him the grimoire.
Cami talks to Marcel, who offers his help, but she turns him down. Josh arrives with a doctor, who doesn't look too happy when he sees the condition Father Kieran is in.
Marcel call Klaus and asks him to help Cami. Meanwhile, Josh is compelling the doctor to help Father Kieran and forget all the talk about vampires and witches. Cami tells the doctor she wants to use shock treatment to help reboot her Uncle's brain.
Eve is helping Hayley with her breathing exercises in the bayou house. Hayley is more concerned about becoming a mother rather than the pain of labor. Elijah comes to talk to her and she finds out that Jackson is making a deal with Klaus about the moonlight rings. Oliver tells her and Elijah things are under control. Then they hear a motorcycle coming into the bayou.
The guy wants to talk to the leader. Elijah senses the explosive on the bike and grabs the guy just as it explodes. Everybody is knocked out with severe injuries. A child stands over her father who is writhing in pain. Hayley hands her to Jackson and she kneels down with Elijah to examine the man's wound. The explosives had wolfsbane.
Hayley goes to another downed member and puts a tourniquet on her leg to stop the bleeding until she can heal herself.
Hayley, thinking the attack was from Marcel because of his earlier attack the other night, grabs a stake and goes off to find him.
Back in the church attic, Cami is getting ready to put the electrodes to Father Kieran's temples when Klaus arrives. Cami isn't exactly sure whether to be happy or mad. She tells him she's going to do it whether Klaus thinks she should or not.
Hayley's Mustang hurtles to find Marcel. She calls Elijah and tells him that she's fine and that she will be back. Elijah sees the other bombs around the camp and tells everything to take cover, but the warning is too late and bodies fly everywhere.
In the attic, the shock seems to have helped Father Kieran for a few seconds. Klaus asks to have a word with Cami. In the church, he tells her things aren't going to end well, but she doesn't want to give up on her Uncle. He's all she has.
Back in the bayou, more people have been injured and died. Eve is trapped under a camper and Elijah lifts it so that Oliver can carry her out. She never triggered the werewolf gene, making her unable to heal.
Hayley storms into the bar, brandishing her stake and confronts Diego, demanding to know where Marcel is hiding. Diego gives the address.
In the attic, Father Kieran has an outburst and tries to attack the doctor, but he's shackled to the chair. He gets his left arm free and bites off his thumb.
Hayley phones Klaus to tell him what's been going on. Klaus is upset and tells her she needs to keep out of trouble. She lies and tells him that she's with Elijah.
Jackson, Elijah, and Oliver are with Eve. Elijah wants to give her some of his blood to try and heal her, but Oliver says Eve would rather die than to heal with vampire blood.
Hayley gets to Marcel's, and he denies any involvement in the bombing. He says the guy on the motorcycle had gambling debts at the casino, so the humans may be behind the attack. She asks him if he killed her parents. He offers her money to leave and tells her that her parents died from in-fighting among the wolves. He rescued her as a baby from her crib and took her to Father Kieran. Marcel tells her she can leave New Orleans and start over somewhere else, but she tells him that this is her home. She leaves and doesn't take the money.
Father Kieran lies in bed near death. Klaus plunges his hand into his chest to stimulate his heart, but he tells Cami her Uncle doesn't have long to live. She asks him to turn her Uncle. Reluctantly, Klaus gives him some of his blood. Father Kieran's heart stops and he dies. Now the transition will begin.
In the church, Cami tells Klaus she's worried how Father Kieran will react when he realizes he's a vampire. Klaus tells her he has to leave, but she asks him if he will stay awhile longer and he agrees.
Out in the bayou, Jackson helps the others take care of the wounded. He tells Elijah he just wants to help keep Hayley and her baby safe.
Klaus and Cami watch as Father Kieran wakes up. The hex seems to be gone. Then Klaus tells him what happened. Cami apologizes. She wasn't ready to let him go. He says he would rather die than be a vampire. He asks to speak to Cami in private. Cami thanks Klaus for his kindness as he leaves them alone.
Eve wakes up and Oliver tells her she should complete the curse so she'll heal. Then he confesses to what he did. He was the one responsible for the explosion. She tells him they'll kill him if they find out what he did. Oliver picks up a pillow and smothers Eve. Now nobody will find out.
Father Kieran is giving Cami some of his books and tells her she has to leave. He can't find the key that he kept around his neck, so he tells her she has to find it. They hug and he kisses her, and he says not to look back. Tears stream down her face as she leaves.
Hayley, Jackson, and Elijah are with Eve's dead body as they hear Oliver riling up the werewolves outside, making a play to dethrone Jackson as Alpha so he can take his place and also to get rid of Hayley. Elijah tells her trouble is coming.
Father Kieran, in his priestly robes, prays. Klaus goes to Genevieve and asks if she and the witches were responsible for the attack on the wolves. She asks if he thinks she's really that kind of a monster. Then she realizes that he does. She says it wasn't her, and the hex will return even if Father Kieran finishes his transition into a vampire.
True to her word, the hex returns to Father Kieran's hand as his hallucinations begin again. The witch that hexed him tells him he has to complete the curse. He grabs a knife and puts it to his throat to slit himself, but she tells him he has to complete it by making a sacrifice. He has to kill Cami.
Father Kieran, no longer locked in the attic by a boundary spell, steps over the threshold of the room, a crazy glint in his eyes as he heads for Cami.
Cami lights a candle and cries as Father Kieran comes up behind her to kill her. She jumps off the balcony, as Father Kieran comes after her. He comes down as Cami tries to get away, but he flings her into a pew, then grabs her by the hair and raises the knife. Klaus grabs him and snaps his neck, then cradles him in his arms. "You deserve better than this," he says as he stakes Father Kieran. Now he is finally at peace.
Klaus tells Cami it was never about keeping Father Kieran alive. It was always about giving Cami time to say goodbye.
Klaus calls Marcel and pardons him long enough to come and help bury Father Kieran. He also wants him to come back and comfort Cami, telling him that when she woke up, she called his name.
Marcel comes and embraces Cami as she cries for her now dead Uncle.
In the bayou, Hayley watches Oliver creating a frenzy among the wolves.
In the bar, Marcel asks if Josh was able to get the key from around Father Kieran's neck. Josh hands him the key. He wanted it to help keep Cami safe. She's not ready for what will come next.
Back at the compound, Elijah gives Klaus the grimoire. He tells Klaus mayhem is upon them and if he's going to choose a side, he's going to choose his. They clink glasses and drink to their success.
- Antagonists: Oliver and Kieran.
- Narrator: Elijah Mikaelson.
- The episode's title is a reference to the unforeseen consequences of Kieran's death.
- Father Kieran dies with Klaus' blood in his system and awakens in transition some time later. Though Kieran didn't intend to complete his transition, his hex relapsed shortly before he planned to kill himself, and caused him to feed on Cami's blood and become a true vampire. When he tried to kill Camille, he was eventually staked by Klaus with her blessing.
- There is an explosion in the Bayou that claims the lives of several werewolves. Oliver is revealed to have been behind the bombing, along with an unknown third party, and he kills Eve after revealing this to her to prevent her from exposing him.
- Oliver's quest for power is remnant of the history infighting among the wolves in the Crescent Wolf Clan.
- Klaus criticizes Elijah for hiding Esther's grimoire, the one thing that could help empower the werewolves in the impending war.
- Elijah and Klaus decide to side with the Crescent wolves against Marcel and the vampires, believing it to be what's best for the baby.
- Marcel reveals that he saved Hayley as a baby after her parents were murdered by someone they knew. He also admitted that he kept her from being affected by the curse he had placed on the other members of the Crescent wolves and gave her to Father Kieran so he could find her an adoptive family for her.
- Hayley reveals to Oliver that she has been living on her own since she was thirteen. This gives more details into her history, as she revealed in My Brother's Keeper that her adoptive parents kicked her out following her first werewolf transformation after she accidentally triggered her werewolf curse.
- Eve - suffocated, killed by Oliver.
- Kieran O'Connell - staked, killed by Klaus (considered a mercy-killing after the hex convinced Kieran to complete his transition and kill Cami).
- Kieran O'Connell was last seen in Moon Over Bourbon Street.
- Sean O'Connell was last seen in Sinners and Saints in flashbacks.
- Bastianna Natale was last seen in Après Moi, Le Déluge.
- Eve is killed in this episode by Oliver. This is the first episode to show a werewolf kill another werewolf.
- Klaus mercy-kills Kieran after Kieran attacked Cami, as Kieran would have wanted had he been in his right mind.
- This is the second time that Josh appears in an episode that does not feature Davina.
- New Orleans
- The Other Side
Behind the Scenes
- This episode was filmed during the week of March 18, 2014.
- This episode had about 1.50 million viewers in the USA, which was 0.02 million less than the previous episode.
- Kieran: "This city… It's full of monsters."
- Klaus: "Well, isn't this a gruesome little scene?"
- Camille: "He's dying, Klaus. This might be the only chance he's got."
- Elijah: "You are making a great mistake."
- Marcel: "Witches, humans, vampires, wolves. Something big is brewing."
- Hayley: (to Marcel) "Tell me Marcel, did you kill my parents?"
- Klaus: "I think you need to prepare yourself. This story does not end well."
- Elijah: "Mayhem has descended upon our home."
- Kieran: "This city is full of monsters."
- Cami: "He's dying Klaus. This might be the only chance he's got."
- Klaus: "This story does not have a happy ending."
- Klaus: "Don't make this harder than it needs to be, brother."
- Elijah: "Well admittedly I did have a theory that your sudden interest in mother's grimoire was somehow related to whatever foolishness you've been conducting with the Crescent wolves. Therefore, I took it upon myself to carefully place it where naughty little fingers could not pry."
- Klaus: "And here I thought that you, of all people, would understand that I'm simply trying to help those wolves."