|“||Parents aren't supposed to outlive their children, Caroline. It's okay. This is life. This is what it means... to be human.||”|
William "Bill" Forbes II was a Mystic Falls resident who returned to point out all the failings of the current Council’s attempts to keep vampires out of town, after discovering that his daughter, Caroline, is one of them.
Bill was a member of the Forbes Family.
Not much was known about Bill, except that he was once married to Liz Forbes and had a child with her. He later left her after announcing that he was gay. He lived with his new partner, Steven, in Georgia until his death after refusing to become the creature he had hated all his life.
Throughout The Vampire Diaries Series
Bill is not seen, but Caroline mentioned that he lived with his boyfriend in You're Undead to Me. Her mother, Elizabeth, told her that if she had guy problems, she should call her dad, because he was "successfully dating one.". In Let The Right One In, Caroline tried to go to her father's boyfriend's daughter's birthday party, but on the way, discovered Vicki Donovan's body when her car got stuck in the mud.
Carol calls him to take care of Caroline who is revealed to be a vampire. After Carol Lockwood discovers that her son, Tyler Lockwood, is a werewolf, she tries to tell Bill to let Caroline go, but he refuses. He has Caroline locked up in a dungeon, and tries to condition Caroline to associate human blood with pain, so he won't have to kill her. However, once night falls, Sheriff Forbes and Tyler show up to free Caroline. He tries to stop Tyler, but Liz fires a warning shot at the wall. They take Caroline, who then cries, saying that her father hates her. Liz imprisons him in the dungeon to make sure he has no vervain in his blood, and calls Damon to erase his memory of Caroline's vampirism and to compel him to leave the town immediately.
However, later that day he arrives to the council meeting and threatens to reveal that Damon is a vampire. He tells Damon that he can't be compelled, and said it's a sort of "human focus he's been honing for decades". Damon attacks Bill, most likely intending to kill him, but Caroline, who still loves her father, shows up and saves him.
As he is about to leave, Caroline tries to assure Bill that she's fine and capable of controlling her urges, but he throws her arguments off.
In The Ties That Bind, Tyler calls Bill to help him fight the sire bond that he has toward Klaus. Bill orders Tyler to change into his werewolf form and threatens to decapitate him if he doesn't change. In transition Tyler can't hold back and attacks Bill, almost killing him. Later, Meredith Fell heals him by injecting him with vampire's blood. When Tyler comes to apologize, Bill tells him that they'll continue the next day. He says that to break the sire bond, he has to turn every day.
In Bringing Out The Dead, Bill was killed by Alaric Saltzman (while Alaric was taken over by "The Darkness"), who stabbed him to death and cut his throat while having vampire blood in his system. He woke up in transition but chose not to feed and turn into a vampire. Caroline was heartbroken by his decision and tried to convince him otherwise, but he remained firm in his beliefs that he would not turn into the creature he hates, though he is proud of the person Caroline is. He eventually died with his daughter and ex at his side.
Bill is very loyal to his daughter and his hometown. However, Bill proves to be cold, cruel and ruthless with the vampires, and the traitors of the town. During his stay in Mystic Falls, he tries to "cure" Caroline from her vampire instincts (self control). His hate towards vampires was so immense to the point that he chose to die rather than continue living as a vampire to be with his family.
He is tall with a medium build, wearing dark-colored clothing most of the time. He has short, brown hair and blue eyes.
- Main article: Caroline and Bill
Damon Salvatore to them. Not much is known on how involved he really is with the council.
The Vampire Diaries
- Where You Left Your Heart (Indirectly Mentioned)
- William is of English origin and means Will + helmet (protection).
- Forbes is a Gaelic name and the meaning in Gaelic is "wealthy or stubborn". The Scottish meaning is "field" or "headstrong".
- David Anders (John Gilbert), Jack Coleman (Bill Forbes), Dawn Olivieri (Andie Star), Madeline Zima (Charlotte), and Rick Worthy (Rudy Hopkins) all appeared in NBC's "Heroes".
- Bill is the only human that has yet to survive a hybrid attack.
- He is the first LGBT character introduced in The Vampire Diaries before Lucas Parker, Mary Louise and Nora and in The Vampire Diaries/The Originals universe before Joshua Rosza and Aiden.
- Along with Atticus Shane, Bill is one of the two humans who can resist a vampire's compulsion.
- Bill is the first character seen to die because of not drinking human blood to complete the transition to vampire. He explained that he believed it was cheating death to become a vampire.
- With confirmation that human souls are found in the dimensions, he either found peace or went to Hell.