Every character on The Vampire Diaries, The Originals and Legacies speaks some form or variant of a language.The predominant language spoken on the original broadcasts of the show is American English, though variants of this language, as well as entirely different languages are used, often with English subtitles.
Most of the characters speak English.
Many characters have distinctive accents when speaking English, showing their countries of origin.
While most of the characters speak English with an American accent, some have distinctive accents, showing their countries of origin.
- Galen Vaughn and Alistair Duquesne are shown to have a Scottish accent.
- Lorenzo and the Mikaelson Family speak with a British accent.
- It is the language used by most witches for various spells and rituals. The language is similar to Latin. Kat Graham calls it "the Plecan". She says that it is actually a mix of Latin and some words that look like real words.
- The French Quarter witches, as well as most of the New Orleans witches, use this language for their spells and rituals.
- Isobel Flemming speaks French. ("Isobel (Episode)").
- Cherie understands French.
- The Travelers use this language for their spells and rituals.
- Main article: Runes
- The Aramaic language was spoken dating back to Biblical times (3rd millennium BC to 1st millennium AD), but due to the complexity of the Aramaic language, there are few people who have the knowledge of the language necessary to translate text or words, depending on the intention.
- Aramaic script was widely adopted for other languages and is ancestral to both the Arabic and modern Hebrew alphabets.
- Qetsiyah was a notable speaker of Aramaic as was shown in her spells, and the connection her name and possible origin. Klaus also spoke the language.
- Hunter's Mark & The Sword of Alexander have Aramaic writings.