|“||We were innocent once, Elijah. This bloodlust was forced upon us by our parents, turning us from prey to predator. We're the demons lurking in shadow. We are the savage villains in fairy tales taught to children. But, not for my child. Not for Hope. In her stories, we are knights in shining armor. Without you by my side, I don't think I can survive my own love for my daughter. I need you. I need you, brother. The monster in me can only be challenged by the monster in you. Only together can we fight our demons and save our family.||”|
GOING AFTER EVERYTHING ESTHER LOVES — When Klaus discovers that Elijah has been afflicted by Esther's magic he heads to the Bayou in search of an antidote, but quickly realizes he's not alone. Armed with intel gathered by Aiden, Hayley teams up with him, Marcel, Camille and Josh and launches a plan to take down Vincent by exploiting his one weakness. Meanwhile, with Esther determined to carry out her plan, Vincent and Kaleb are forced to reconsider their own strategies. Intrigued by Davina's unwavering attempts to create an unlinking spell, Kol lets her in on some secrets from his past and brings her to a place he frequented in 1914.
The episode begins in a dream. Young Elijah is chasing Young Klaus through the woods. When Young Elijah catches up, Young Klaus is gone. Instead, he meets his older self, whom tells him only the monster will remain.
Klaus tries to enter Elijah's mind, but Esther's spell stops him. Hayley notices a rash, which Klaus realizes is due to the Merlock orchid. Esther would use it on Mikael, to mend his temperamental mind when he'd come back home from battle. Klaus tells Hayley to stay home and not go after Esther. He is going to find the Merlock orchid, to wake up Elijah. But Hayley plans to go after Finn instead.
Jackson puts Oliver's body into a boat and lights it up on fire. At dawn, Hayley arrives. Jackson is upset that the wolves have refused to come, since it is tradition to have a funeral at dawn. Hayley tells him there's a war going on, and the pack needs their alpha.
Hayley and Aiden meet Marcel, and they work together to take down Finn. He says Camille will help too, since Finn likes her and therefore he has a weakness. Camille is with Finn, and she expresses romantic interest in him. Finn asks her on a date.
At a motel, Davina has refused to sleep for days because she's disturbed that Kaleb is possessed by a vampire, or rather, a Mikaelson. She's only staying with him for his knowledge of magic. Esther uses magic to carve a message on his arm, meaning it's time to come home.
Ansel is following Klaus, and reluctantly, Klaus lets him lead the way to the Merlock orchid. He tries to make conversation, but Klaus doesn't.
Kol uses his magic to change the radio channel, and Davina turns it off. Kol asks if she ever has fun with magic, or if it's all angst and child sacrifice for her. Davina asks about Kol; he tapped into magic as a child, but it went away when he turned into a vampire. So, he turned to other pleasures. Over the centuries, he spent a lot of time with witches, learning from them and teaching them. Kol tells Davina that he was sent to follow her, but the flirting was all him. Davina smiles.
Camille comes to Marcel's place to bring dark objects from her uncle's secret room. One of the items are chains, spelled to stop a witch from using magic once it's on them.
Ansel tells Klaus that he's watched him from the Other Side. He says Klaus has never known true peace, except in simple pleasures—painting, tending to horses, quiet days, teaching Marcel about Shakespeare, and feeling Hope kicking around Hayley's womb. Klaus tries to scare him, telling him if he's forgotten about all those villages slaughtered.
Kol comes back, and Esther reveals she knows Mikael has returned. She tells Kol that she wants the dagger, no matter what it takes to get it. Davina meets up with Kol at the cemetery. He needs her blood to get into a tomb. A hundred years earlier, he taught witches to make dark objects that would allow him to use magic without doing it. He has all sorts of objects in the tomb. But he offended the prettiest witch at the time—Mary Alice Claire—and she locked him out of the tomb.
Davina and Kol enter the tomb, and Davina is in awe. Kol says there's a way to change one element to another, and he wants to change a dagger that will work on Klaus to put him to sleep. They perform a spell on a chain, and Kol puts on Davina as a bracelet to replace the one she had.
Camille and Finn are their date, and she steps aside to take a call. Finn is watching, and she disappears. He goes outside, and he sees Camille get bitten by a wolf. There are several wolves, and when he looks back, Camille is gone too.
They're at the church, where they lie in wait.
Ansel tells Klaus that when he was a boy, he'd come to where he was after every full moon. But since he's been in New Orleans, he got further away. He knows Hope is alive. Klaus wants to believe Ansel would defend Hope, but Esther would twist his intentions. Klaus kills Ansel.
At the church, Aiden's cover is blown when Finn figures he's working against him because Aiden's brother was among the recruits. He snaps Aiden's neck. Hayley fights off Finn, but she's unable to defeat him. Jackson comes and shoots arrows at him. Camille puts the chains on him.
Klaus heals Elijah, and he awakes. Jackson tells Hayley that he may not have gotten Andrea Lebonair, the woman he expected, but he got better—Hayley Marshall.
Kol sets Davina onto a bed, and Marcel is watching. Davina later awakens to find the White Oak Stake gone, and she assumes he took it.
Esther finds Ansel dead, and she sobs.
Marcel and Hayley brings Finn and Kol to Klaus.
- Antagonists: Esther, Finn and Kol.
- Klaus tries to break Esther's spell on Elijah by entering his mind but he is thrown out.
- Jackson saves Hayley from being killed by Finn.
- Klaus kills his father, Ansel, because he knew Hope is still alive.
- Kol reveals to Davina that unlike the rest of his siblings, he actually tapped into his witch heritage as a child and practiced witchcraft prior to being turned into a vampire.
- He also said he considered himself a child prodigy, and stated that it was losing his access to magic upon being made an Original Vampire that made him act out for the majority of his life.
- Kol tells Davina that he wants to create a new version of the white oak ash dagger (by turning it from silver to gold) that will work on Klaus, and convinces her to help him by telling her that it will allow her to neutralize Klaus while still protecting her friends in Klaus' sireline.
- Hayley bites Camille to lure Finn into their trap, and then gives her blood to help Camille recover.
- Finn and Kol are captured by Hayley and Marcel.
- Camille is captured by Esther as retaliation for Ansel's death.
- However, it is revealed in The Brothers That Care Forgot that Camille merely subdued with herbs and was only briefly in Esther's captivity while Esther prepared Camille's body as a potential vessel for Rebekah. Once Esther was finished, Camille was returned to her apartment with no memories of the experience.
- Elijah has a brief flash of him and Tatia as he's talking with Klaus.
- Marcel reveals that several of Kieran's dark objects, such as the Cursed Shackles, were created about a hundred years before by a turncoat witches. The shackles were then used by the Human Faction against group of witches called the Voodoo Queens.
- Davina was last seen in Red Door.
- When Kol clutches his arm on the floor of the motel room, Davina touches him on the shoulder then removes her hand as she kneels in front of him. In the next shot (less than half a second later), her hand is once again falling off of Kol's shoulder.
- Tatia was last seen in the Red Door in the flashback to 10th century Mystic Falls. In this episode, she only appeared as a flash of Elijah's memory upon awakening from Esther's spell.
- Davina and Kol have been hiding out from Klaus in a motel since the events of Red Door.
- Kol's Playhouse was first seen in the second part of The Originals: The Awakening.
- Hayley's mother and father are mentioned. They were last mentioned in From a Cradle to a Grave.
- Nick was mentioned. He was last seen in Live and Let Die.
- New Orleans, Louisiana
Behind the Scenes
- This is Tyler Cook's favorite episode in the season.
- Kol says to Esther, "[Davina]'s never gonna trust me if she thinks I'm just a flying monkey to the wicked witch," a reference to the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz. In this reference, Esther plays the role of the wicked witch.
- Kol as Kaleb: "You want to take down Klaus, right? I've wanted one thing for years. To drive a dagger into his heart."
- Esther as Lenore: "I want that stake. I don't care what you have to do to get it."
- Klaus: "Our mother thinks she will win."
- Hayley: "We'll go after everything that she loves."
- Klaus: "Have I made you proud, father?"
- Cami: "He hasn't called. He thinks he's protecting me, but I don't think I want to be protected. Truth be told, I don't think I want to be around him anymore at all."
- Finn as Vincent: "Well, that's a nice piece of progress. What's on your mind?"
- Cami: "I was wondering, I ... I know this is like horribly unprofessional, but I was hoping I could get a new advisor."
- Finn: "You aren't finding our lessons productive?"
- Cami: "No, no, that's not it. They've been great. You're really getting to know me. I just, I want to get to know you too."
- Cami: "Vincent, Finn, whoever he is. I think he likes me."
- Marcel: "I don't know if I'd call that good news."
- Cami: "Don't you get it? I'm his blind spot. If he's distracted, he's vulnerable, which means I can help take him down."
- Finn to Cami: "That's a nice piece of progress."
- Hayley to Marcel: "We're going to take down Finn Mikaelson today and considering how he treated your vampires I assumed you would want in on the bloodbath."
- Klaus to Elijah: "Our mother thinks she will win because she has left you alone. But you are not alone."
- Klaus to Ansel: "Stop following me."
- Klaus to Ansel: "My mother brought you back from the dead. My sense of strategy tells me it wasn't to play a father son game of hide and seek."
- Klaus to Ansel: "Now kindly piss off. I'm in a hurry to help my real family."