|“||Elijah... I'm calling to say goodbye. Hope and I... we can't be part of your family anymore. All Hope's life, her family has tried to destroy her. That can't be my little girl's story. Family is supposed to love you. Even if she is free of Dahlia's first-born curse, Hope would still be Klaus' daughter. She'd inherit a thousand years of enemies, all his anger and rage... I don't want Hope to be a Mikaelson, all the pain that comes with that name... She doesn't deserve that. Elijah, I... Goodbye.||”|
LOOMING DEADLINES AND ENTICING PROPOSITIONS — When Dahlia devises a clever way to get Klaus' attention, she reveals some startling details about baby Hope and leaves him with an enticing proposition to consider. Elsewhere, while Elijah and Freya find themselves with opposing views on how best to handle Dahlia's looming deadline, Rebekah, Davina, and Cami work together to come up with their own strategy. Meanwhile, following a tense stand-off between Elijah and Jackson in the bayou, Hayley is left to make a difficult decision about her and Hope's future. Finally, Vincent, who is eager to leave his witch past behind him, approaches Davina with an offer that leaves her intrigued. Marcel also appears.
Dahlia brings Klaus into her mind, so he has no choice but to listen to what she has to say and show him. She has a proposition for him. Dahlia shows him what happened when the Vikings attacked. Everyone but Dahlia and Esther survived, and they had made a promise to always be together.
Freya tells Elijah he needs to bring Hayley and Hope back, as there is no chance of defeating Dahlia without Hope. Freya will use the ingredients (soil, ash, and her blood) to create a killing ground where Dahlia will be rendered mortal, but she needs to lure her there first. Essentially, she needs Hope as bait. Elijah won't put his niece in that position, but Freya tells him she'll look for Hayley and Hope herself if Elijah won't do it.
Marcel brings Rebekah to the jazz club, but she wants to be helping Elijah. However, she's still linked to eight teenage witches, so she needs to be kept safe. Marcel brings in Vincent to unlink her, but on the condition that it's for the last time, because he wants nothing more to do with witch business.
Elijah visits Camille. He reveals Klaus is daggered, but Camille tells him Klaus simply took the blame for killing Aiden because he needed the others to fear him. Nevertheless, Elijah says, Klaus needed to be daggered otherwise the people protecting Hope would've revolted. He thinks Camille‘a feelings are clouding her judgment—back in the safe house, he was in her head as much as she was in his. Elijah says Klaus will remain daggered until Hope is safe.
Jackson is burying Aiden in the same place as the traitors, and Hayley is upset with that. She says that if they expect the wolves to put their lives on the line for them, they deserve to know their lives matter. Hayley says they'll take Aiden downriver, give him a true Crescent funeral.
Elijah arrives at the jazz club, and tells Rebekah that Klaus' distrust of Freya wasn't entirely misplaced, as Freya wants to use Hope as bait. With the help of Camille, they have dark objects that should generate enough power to create a decoy. Vincent wants no part of it, but Elijah needs a formidable witch. Camille tells Elijah she'll call Davina, and Elijah releases Vincent.
Dahlia brings Klaus to the place where she was kept in captivity. The Vikings demanded her to perform dark magic, and she did their bidding so that Esther would be free of their abuse. Young Esther comes back from gathering herbs, happily. Young Dahlia assumes correctly that she's been with Mikael. She shows Young Esther potent sage soaked in serpent's blood, which will give them strength and get out of captivity. Esther, however, no longer wants to practice magic, even though it's protected them. She and Mikael plan to marry and have a family. She leaves Young Dahlia alone in grief.
Dahlia tells Klaus her sister abandoned her, just as his siblings have done, and like him, have been painted as the villain. What she's going to show him next is about his daughter, and he has to listen if he has any chance of saving Hope.
She tells Klaus she did not enslave Freya. Instead, she protected her from those who abused their craft and demonized them, and most importantly, shielded her from herself. As the firstborn in their bloodline, like Dahlia herself, Freya had immense and uncontrollable power. But for Hope, it will be worse because Hope has vampire blood and will have the aggressive wolf temperament. Without the proper tutelage only Dahlia can provide, Hope's power will grow unchecked.
Vincent gives Camille the information Rebekah will need to unlink herself; he made it easy so that even a newbie witch can cast the spell. He also tells Camille that no powerful witch is going to be fooled by a doll—they need a heartbeat.
Klaus says he'll find other witches to tutor Hope, but Dahlia reminds him he's lying at home desiccated and asks how long it will be until Rebekah and Elijah release him. She says she doesn't want to commandeer his family, as family only ever brought her pain. She only wants power, she's owed Hope's and without it, she'll slumber again within the year. Freya, she says, only turned on her because Dahlia denied her Esther's love. She wants Klaus to remain Hope's father while she trains Hope. Or, Klaus can stay desiccated while Hope grows up and calls Jackson "daddy."
But, there's a catch: Hope is the only child Hayley will ever have, and she'll fight them. She says Klaus will have to eliminate her, but Klaus knows Hope will only grow up to hate him for denying Hope her mother. Dahlia claims he can tell Hope any story to her that he wishes, but he'll have made the right choice in the end. After that, she releases Klaus, and Klaus pulls out the dagger.
Elijah is met with hostility, and Jackson taunts him that unlike Klaus, he can't kill Jackson because he's Hayley's husband. Even if he kills Jackson to have Hayley, Hayley will never forgive Elijah. Hayley arrives, and Elijah tells her that Rebekah and Davina will replicate Hope's magic and lure Dahlia into a trap. They just need a vial of Hope's blood.
Jackson tells Hayley the pack has lost too much to the Mikaelsons, with Elijah wanting Hayley to go back to them after the terror is over. He can't simultaneously live under Klaus' roof and be the alpha his pack deserves. Hayley has to know who her family is; and if she wants to go back to the Mikaelsons, he can't come with her. At the funeral, Josh comes. Hayley doesn't need time to decide, since Jackson and the pack are her family.
Elijah injects Freya with Hope's blood, using her as the beacon that will draw Dahlia to her.
Vincent meets with Davina, telling her he doesn't want to be the next regent, but that Davina fits right in. And also, that she'll have access to a lot of power, more than she ever had with the three Harvest girls' power; more than enough to bring back Kol.
Hayley leaves a voicemail, saying she doesn't want to go back to them. She doesn't want Hope to be a Mikaelson and inheriting all of Klaus' enemies. She says her goodbyes, all while Klaus has overheard it in the background. He sneaks out, visits Dahlia and stands with her against his siblings and Hayley.
Dahlia creates a terrible thunderstorm to stall the wolves from leaving.
- Antagonists: Vikings (past).
- Cami tells Elijah that Klaus did not, in fact, kill Aiden as he originally claimed when Elijah comes to tell her that Klaus has been daggered. Both Hayley and Marcel are later told the truth by Elijah, who still plans to leave Klaus daggered anyway, not trusting his brother to stick to their plan.
- Elijah tells Camille that he knows about her feelings for Klaus, and informs her that he was in her head as much as she was in his during their time at the safe house.
- Freya tells Elijah about her plan to use Hope as bait to lure Dahlia, but Elijah is not willing to let that happen.
- Dahlia uses her magic to bring Klaus into her mind to show him that they can be allies.
- To do so, Dahlia shows Klaus how the Vikings came to hers and Esther's village in their youth and captured them after killing everyone else. They forced Dahlia to perform dark magic for their purposes in exchange for them sparing Esther from their brutal punishment. When Esther told Dahlia that she no longer wanted to practice magic after meeting Mikael and deciding to marry him, Dahlia felt betrayed, and decided that she would never let herself feel so weak again.
- According to Dahlia, all firstborns from hers and Esther's bloodline "possess devastating amounts of power", which made it difficult for both herself and Freya to learn control. Dahlia also informs Klaus that Hope will have the same problem, only worse, because she also has the aggression that comes from her werewolf heritage and her vampire heritage as well that will amplify its effects; Dahlia insisted that if Hope didn't have the proper instruction and learn to control her magic, it would destroy her and everyone around her as well.
- Knowing that tearing Freya away from her family played a huge role in why Freya was so rebellious during their lives together, Dahlia promised Klaus that she would allow him to remain in Hope's life as her father while Dahlia gave her the training necessary to hone her craft and drew on her power for strength to fulfill the deal made to her by Esther. However, in exchange, Klaus must kill Hayley, as she would only get in the way of their deal and try to interfere.
- Klaus was initially reluctant to take this deal, but when he overheard Rebekah and Elijah listening to a voicemail left by Hayley that stated she was taking Hope away with the werewolves to protect her from Dahlia and the rest of Klaus' enemies - and also hears Rebekah and Elijah saying that it's for the best, assuming that Klaus was still daggered - Klaus decided to take Dahlia's deal and form an alliance with her.
- After Klaus and Dahlia agree to work together, Dahlia performed a spell that allowed Klaus to wake up from his desiccated state and pull out the golden dagger that incapacitated him.
- This episode reveals that there are nine total covens in New Orleans, all of whom practice a variety of different forms of magic.
- Vincent tells Camille that the covens want him to succeed Josephine as Regent, the voice of the consecrated dead.
- Vincent offers to have Davina made the new Regent of the nine New Orleans covens, which would grant her the power to bring Kol back, as she would be able to channel the entire power of the Ancestors of all nine covens and have access to all of the forms of magic that they practice - not just ancestral magic, but also Voodoo, Hoodoo, sacrificial magic, representational magic, and necromancy.
- Hayley leaves a voice message for Elijah telling him she plans to take Hope away from them. This is what causes Klaus' switch to Dahlia's side and leads to the events of Fire with Fire.
- Dahlia does her first and only voice-over for this episode.
- Vincent was last seen in Exquisite Corpse.
- Mikael was mentioned both in flashback and in the present in this episode. He was killed by Klaus in Night Has A Thousand Eyes.
- Kieran was mentioned by Cami. He died in An Unblinking Death.
- Sean was mentioned by Cami. He was seen as a hallucination in An Unblinking Death.
- Josephine was mentioned by Vincent. She was killed by Dahlia in Night Has A Thousand Eyes. She was last seen as a reanimated corpse in When the Levee Breaks.
- Kol was mentioned by Davina and Vincent. He was last seen in I Love You, Goodbye possessing Kaleb Westphall.
- Oliver was mentioned by Hayley. He was killed by the Ancestors in Wheel Inside the Wheel. He was last seen as a corpse in Chasing the Devil's Tail.
- New Orleans, Louisiana
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 1.20 million viewers in the USA.
- Corey Maher, who portrays "Viking Leader" in the episode, also portrays "State Cop" in The Vampire Diaries episode Detoured On Some Random Backwoods Path to Hell.
- "City Beneath the Sea" is a science fiction television film and a proposed series released on January 25, 1971 by Irwin Allen.
- "City Beneath the Sea" usually refers to Atlantis, however in this case it refers to New Orleans since it's below sea level.
- "City Beneath the Sea" is an adventure film. It was released in 1953.
- "City Beneath the Sea" is a song by actor/singer Harry Connick Jr. The song was released in 1996.
- Marcel: (to Elijah and Rebekah): "You thinking about pulling that dagger out? Ask yourself -- What would Klaus do?"
- Freya: (to Elijah) "Dahlia said she would come for Hope tonight."
- Elijah: "For now, they are safe."
- Freya: "Nowhere is safe from Dahlia."
- Elijah: (to Rebekah) "Our sister wants to use Hope to lure Dahlia."
- Rebekah: "Well, she's out of her lunatic mind!"
- Hayley: (to Jackson) "We have to leave now."
- Freya: "What did you do?"
- Rebekah (to Marcel): "I won't stand for this chauvinism!"
- Marcel: "It used to be called chivalry, and back then, you liked it just fine."
- Rebekah: "I'm not sitting out a fight in a musty club."
- Marcel: "This musty club is the only place in the city where magic can't hurt you. And, it has the best bourbon."
- Rebekah: "Elijah needs me."
- Marcel: "Elijah can't worry about keeping you and Hope safe. We discussed it."
- Rebekah: "You'll have to kill me to keep me here."
- Marcel: "Hey, look. Thanks to Eva Sinclair, you are linked to eight teenage witches, remember? If you get hurt, so do they, including Davina. I know you don't want that."
- Rebekah: "I can't live like a porcelain doll, and I have no clue how to undo the damn spell."
- Camille: (to Elijah) "I left you a dozen messages!"
- Elijah: "Family crisis."
- Camille: "Have you spoken to Klaus?"
- Elijah: "Mmm, briefly... before I put him to sleep with a dagger. Words were exchanged."
- Camille: "No... Elijah, Klaus didn't kill Aiden. He just took the blame because of some insane-dictator edict about making people fear him. How long are you going to leave him like that? Five years? Ten? A lifetime?"
- Elijah: "Until Hope is safe. Now, I need your help."
- Freya: (to Elijah) "Hayley is gone. You need to get her and the baby back here immediately."
- Elijah: "When Dahlia has been defeated. For now, they are safe."
- Freya: "Nowhere is safe from Dahlia and we will have no chance in ending her without that baby."
- Elijah: (to Freya) "Are you suggesting that I position my niece as bait?"
- Dahlia: (to Klaus) "And thus, Niklaus, you find yourself here with me."
- Klaus: "Is this your feeble attempt to garner sympathy? To what end? No ancient plight will ever justify your intentions to enslave my daughter."
- Dahlia: "Oh Niklaus, our plights are the same."