- 1 Chicago
- 2 Gilbert Residence
- 3 Chicago
- 4 Gilbert Residence
- 5 Town Square
- 6 City Jail Cellar
- 7 Gloria's Bar
- 8 Gilbert Residence
- 9 Gloria's Bar
- 10 Gilbert Residence
- 11 Gloria's Bar
- 12 Gilbert Residence
- 13 Gloria's Bar
- 14 Lockwood Mansion
- 15 Chicago Warehouse
- 16 Lockwood Mansion
- 17 Gloria's Bar
- 18 Lockwood Mansion
- 19 Gilbert Residence
- 20 Gloria's Bar
- 21 Lockwood Mansion
- 22 Gloria's Bar
- 23 Lockwood Mansion
- 24 Gilbert Residence
- 25 Chicago Warehouse
- 26 Salvatore Boarding House
- 27 Town Square
- 28 Lockwood Mansion
- 29 Mystic Grill
- 30 Salvatore Boarding House
- 31 Truck
- 32 See More
[Klaus and Stefan are in a clothing store, drinking champagne and waiting for Rebekah who is trying on clothes.]
- Rebekah: There has to be more to this dress.
- Klaus: There's not.
[She gets out of the fitting room. She is wearing a short, black dress.]
- Rebekah: So women in the 21st century dress like prostitutes, then. You know, I got dirty looks for wearing trousers.
- Klaus: You wore trousers so women today could wear nothing.
- Rebekah: And what is this music? It sounds like a cable car accident.
- Stefan: It's dance music.
- Rebekah: People dance to this?
- Stefan: Hmm.
- Klaus: Are we done?
- Rebekah: And why are you so grumpy?
- Klaus: I needed one thing from you for my witch to find out why my hybrids are dying, one thing. Your necklace. And you lost it.
- Rebekah: I didn't lose it. It's just been missing for 90 years.
[She looks at Stefan.]
- Rebekah: So what do you think?
- Stefan: I like it.
[She doesn't seem satisfied.]
- Stefan: What? I said I like it.
- Rebekah: I can always tell when you're lying, Stefan.
[She goes back into the fitting room. Klaus looks at Stefan.]
- Klaus: Nice one. Good work.
- Rebekah: I heard that.
- Stefan: All right. I'm going to get some fresh air.
[He gets up. Klaus pours himself some champagne. Stefan is about to go out and sees Katherine across the street. She motions for him to come over, so he follows her.]
[Damon and Elena are cooking.]
- Damon: I just don't know why you want to bring chili to a potluck. Everybody brings chili.
- Damon: Hey, Ric.
- Alaric: What's up?
- Elena: What time do you want to go to the Lockwood party?
- Alaric: Ah. Those founders parties aren't really my thing.
- Damon: Show up, there's going to be nine other people that brought chili.
- Elena: It's an old family recipe, okay?
- Damon: Yeah! I know. I knew your old family. They made sucky chili.
[He looks at her and smiles. She laughs. Alaric look at them.]
- Alaric: Why are you here, exactly?
- Damon: She knows.
- Elena: He thinks I'm going to break. I'm not going to break. I am just going to keep making chili, pretend like I didn't just spend the entire summer looking for someone who didn't want to be found.
- Damon: She's in denial.
[She looks at him and whispers.]
- Elena: I'm not in denial.
- Damon: No?
[He gets closer to her and touches her necklace.]
- Damon: You're still wearing this necklace. Isn't this the reminder of your unbreakable bond with Stefan?
[Alaric watches them.]
[Stefan walks up to Katherine on the sidewalk.]
- Stefan: What the hell are you doing here?
- Katherine: You two look chummy. Klaus your new bestie?
- Stefan: You know, if he finds out you're in Chicago, you're dead.
- Katherine: Happy to know that you still care. So tell me if I'm wrong...Rebekah's necklace that Klaus is looking for...That's the necklace that you gave to Elena.
- Stefan: Goodbye, Katherine.
- Katherine: Hey, hey. Wait. You're up to something, tell me...
- Stefan: They don't know where the necklace is. I just have to keep them from figuring it out. I have it all under control.
- Katherine: Please, tell me you have a better plan than that.
[He doesn't answer.]
- Katherine: You do. Come on, Stefan. You're not the diabolical type. Whatever you're planning, it's not going to work.
- Stefan: Well, if the most diabolical woman I know can't seem to figure it out, then I must be doing something right.
- Katherine: Uh-huh. I forgot. You're bad now. Don't get too cocky. Klaus is smarter than you. He's smarter than everyone. And I've heard about that sister. Be careful. She'll ruin you.
- Stefan: Happy to know you still care.
[He walks away.]
[Jeremy is in his bedroom, asleep.]
- Anna: Jeremy.
[He wakes up. Anna's lying next to him. He's shocked and gets up.]
- Jeremy: Anna!
- Anna: You heard me?
- Jeremy: What are you doing here?
- Anna: Wait, like heard me, heard me, or did it sound more like a...
- Jeremy: Where have you been?
- Anna: I need to know you can hear me.
- Jeremy: You drop in, you tell me not to trust Vicki, and then you disappear?
- Anna: Jeremy! Tell me you can hear me.
- Jeremy: Yeah, yeah, I can hear you, all right? What the hell! What is it?
[She looks happy that he can hear her.]
- Anna: I've been trying to get you to hear me for days. Yelling your name and screaming.
- Jeremy: You have?
- Anna: What changed? I've been trying to get through to you, why now?
- Jeremy: I was dreaming about you, I-
- Anna: You were dreaming about me?
[She sits down on the bed. He sits down next to her.]
- Jeremy: I can't believe this is actually happening. That you're actually here.
- Anna: I'm here.
[Downstairs someone rings the bell. Elena opens the door. It's Caroline. She's holding a bowl of food in her hands.]
- Caroline: I come bearing gifts!
- Elena: Please say that's not chili...
[She steps aside. Bonnie appears and comes in.]
- Elena: Bonnie!
- Bonnie: I'm back!
[They embrace each other.]
- Bonnie: I leave town for the summer and everything goes to hell for the both of you.
[Caroline and Elena look at each other. Jeremy comes down the stairs.]
- Jeremy: Bonnie!
- Bonnie: Jeremy.
[She rushes over to him and they kiss and embrace each other. He looks over Bonnie's shoulder and sees Anna looking at him in the mirror on the wall.]
[Liz and Damon are walking along a street.]
- Damon: So Mayor Lockwood called your gay ex-husband to torture your vampire daughter?
- Sheriff Forbes: Yes. I've been keeping him detained to make sure the vervain's out of his system. So you could, you know...[she points to her eyes, meaning the gift of compulsion.]
- Damon: Can't we just kill him?
- Sheriff Forbes: No, Damon! He's Caroline's father.
- Damon: He sounds like a douche-bag to me.
- Sheriff Forbes: Yeah, well, just 'cause you and I are on OK terms doesn't mean that I'm suddenly a big advocate for your "lifestyle."
- Damon: Is that what you told him when you two got divorced?
City Jail Cellar
[Liz and Damon go down the stairs.]
- Sheriff Forbes: Double check him for vervain before you compel him.
[They enter the cellar where Caroline was detained. Bill is tied to the chair and has duct tape on his mouth. Damon removes it.]
- Bill: You brought another vampire into this?
- Sheriff Forbes: It's the best thing for all of us, Bill.
- Damon: So, Bill, I hear you're into the whole daddy-daughter vampire torture thing.
- Bill: I was trying to help her.
- Damon: Well, if there's anyone who doesn't need help, it's your annoying control freak of a daughter.
[He bites him on the neck and drinks some of his blood.]
- Damon: Yep. He's vervain-free.
- Sheriff Forbes: Just erase his memory, Damon.
- Damon: So, Bill, I have a question. What makes you think that you can change the basic nature of a vampire?
- Bill: The mind's a powerful tool. It can be trained and retrained. You just have to be strong enough.
- Damon: Oh, yeah? I completely agree. I actually happen to love mind control, myself.
[He grabs his face and compels him.]
- Damon: You will leave town immediately. All you remember is you came to bring your daughter back-to-school shopping.
[Stefan enters. Gloria is sitting at a table, her hands floating above a large tome on a table filled with candles. Klaus and Rebekah are at the bar.]
- Rebekah: You left us.
- Stefan: Yeah, sorry. Retail therapy was making my head explode.
- Klaus: Tell me about it.
[Stefan looks at Gloria.]
- Stefan: What's she doing?
- Klaus: She's failing.
- Gloria: It's hard to find something when you don't have anything to go on.
- Rebekah: So use me. I only wore it for a thousand years.
- Gloria: See? Now this one offers a solution.
[Rebekah sits on the table.]
- Gloria: All right, give me your hand, sweetheart.
[Rebekah gives her her hand.]
- Stefan: She's, uh, she's looking for the necklace, huh?
[Elena, Caroline and Bonnie are in the kitchen.]
- Bonnie: The problem with my dad's normal side of the family is normal made for a really boring summer.
- Caroline: After the last few days, I would kill for a normal family.
[She helps Elena decant the Chili in a casserole.]
- Caroline: Since when did you learn how to cook?
- Elena: Damon helped a little.
- Bonnie: Damon's helping you cook now?
- Elena: Both of you stop judging. He's just trying to be a good...ow!
- Caroline: Ahh! Did I splash you?
- Elena: No, no, my necklace.
[She pulls the pendant of the necklace off her skin. Her skin has a burn mark where the pendant touched her skin.]
[She still has Rebakah's hand.]
- Gloria: I can sense something.
[Stefan seems a little bit worried.]
- Elena: It burned me.
[She removes the necklace and holds it by the chain.]
- Caroline: Maybe it's a sign you shouldn't be wearing it.
- Bonnie: Caroline...
- Caroline: What, I'm just saying. If you're going to be "cooking" without Stefan.
- Bonnie: Let me see it.
[Elena holds it out while Bonnie looks at the pendant.]
[Gloria casts a spell.]
- Gloria: Anta Cotis Syrum, Anta Cotis Syrum...
[Bonnie looks at the necklace and touches it but there's a zap and sparks fly out of it. Elena drops it. Bonnie and Elena look at each other. Elena seems shocked.]
[Gloria drops Rebekah's hand and looks at Klaus and Stefan.]
- Gloria: I found it.
- Rebekah: So where is it?
- Gloria: It doesn't work like that, doll. I get images. There's a girl with her friends...
- Rebekah: Yes, a dead girl with dead friends, if I don't get my necklace back.
- Gloria: Well, I'll have to dive back in to get the details.
- Klaus: So dive.
- Gloria: I need more time.
[Klaus walks over and leans on the table Gloria is seated at.]
- Gloria: And space. You're harshing my ju-ju.
- Klaus: We can wait.
- Gloria: I'm sure you can. But that's not what I asked.
- Stefan: Hey. Hey, you know, why don't we just come back later. I'm hungry anyway. I'll let you pick who we eat.
[Stefan starts making for the door and looks back at them. Klaus looks at Rebekah and they leave with Stefan.]
[The lawns of the mansion are filled with people sitting at tables at the party. Elena and Caroline are sitting apart from the party on a bench. Bonnie joins them with her grimoire.]
- Bonnie: I have an identification spell that might be able to tell me what magic affected the necklace.
[Elena gives her her necklace.]
- Bonnie: It's going to take a while, so tell me if anyone's coming, okay?
[Caroline looks at Elena.]
- Caroline: So you're not, like, switching Salvatores, are you?
- Elena: What?
- Bonnie: Caroline...
- Caroline: Stay focused.
[She looks back at Elena.]
- Caroline: As your friend who worries for you daily, what is the deal with you and Damon?
- Elena: There is no deal. He's been just as focused on finding Stefan as I have.
- Caroline: Yeah, but that doesn't make him any less Damon. If my own father, who I love dearly, can't change me. No one's changing Damon. Not even you.
- Elena: Look, why are we even talking about this?
- Bonnie: Hey guys.
[The necklace pendant is levitating and rising slowly in the air.]
- Caroline: What are you doing?
- Bonnie: I'm not doing anything. It has its own magic.
[Caroline and Bonnie look at Elena.]
[Damon is looking at the chili made by the founding families. Alaric joins him and gives him a beer.]
- Damon: I'm going to let you in on a little secret...Founders parties are just an excuse for the council to gather in back rooms and plot against vampires.
- Alaric: Hey, uh, I think you need to take a beat with Elena.
- Damon: Excuse me?
- Alaric: Whatever it is you two have going on, I think it's a bad idea.
- Damon: I don't really think it's your problem, Ric.
- Alaric: It is my problem. I'm supposed to look after her, and this is me doing that.
- Damon: What do you think I'm doing?
- Alaric: What I think is you need to take a beat.
[Liz walks up behind Alaric.]
- Sheriff Forbes: Damon? Sorry. Uh, the mayor just called for the council meeting.
[In a warehouse, Klaus is on a couch drinking from a girl and Stefan is doing likewise seated in a chair. Rebekah looks at them sitting atop a nearby crate.]
- Rebekah: My girl's dead. I'm bored.
[Klaus looks at Stefan.]
- Klaus: You weren't kidding about being hungry.
- Stefan: Yeah. It's been a long day.
- Klaus: Try being related to her.
- Rebekah: You're being mean. And why are you being mean? You used to love me.
- Klaus: It's been ninety years, Rebekah. Give him a minute.
- Rebekah: Why are you taking his side?
- Klaus: Because, my dear sister, I feel pity for any man who doesn't give you what you want.
- Rebekah: Will you stop making me out to be a brat? I am not a brat!
- Klaus: A thousand years of life experience says otherwise.
- Stefan: Well, you're no picnic, either. I mean, I've only spent one summer with you and I feel like I want to blow my head off.
- Rebekah: Fantastic.
[He drops the dead girl he was feeding from on the ground.]
- Stefan: I need to go.
[He gets up and walks away.]
- Rebekah: Where's he going?
- Klaus: To write a name on a wall. It's a long story.
[Jeremy enters the dining room in the mansion and closes the door.]
- Jeremy: Anna? Look, where are you? We don't have much time.
- Anna: We've got all the time in the world.
- Jeremy: I'm sorry about before. I just got, um, distracted.
- Anna: It's fine. I get it. Why haven't you told her?
- Jeremy: Well, she's been gone all summer.
- Anna: Yeah, I know that. Now why haven't you told her, really?
- Jeremy: I don't know. You know, I don't even understand how any of this is possible.
- Anna: Well, it's kind of a push and pull. I'm pushing from the other side trying to contact you, and sometimes, like just now, if you pull...
- Jeremy: The other side? Is that...is that what it's called?
- Anna: That's what I call it. I'm all by myself here. It's like I'm a part of your world, only no one can see me. I'm just...On the other side.
- Jeremy: Wait, well what about Vicki?
- Anna: Whenever you say you see her, I feel something. A darkness. And when I try to tell you not to let her in, something crazy happens. Like, she's trying to push me out.
- Jeremy: Like the windows breaking.
- Anna: Just be careful. Try not to let her in. 'Cause she can't get through if you're not open to it. You don't understand how amazing it is to finally be able to talk to you. I'm all by myself here. I don't have anyone.
[She touches his hand but he doesn't seem to realize until he sees it. She removes her hand.]
- Anna: I'm sorry. I know you can't feel anything.
- Jeremy: Do it again.
[He raises his hand. She touches it and smiles.]
[Stefan enters and sees Gloria.]
- Gloria: There you are.
- Stefan: Thought you were resting.
- Gloria: Well, now we both have a secret.
- Stefan: What did you see?
- Gloria: It's what I heard that's interesting. You know, the girls with the necklace, they were talking about you.
- Stefan: Yet you didn't tell Klaus. Why?
- Gloria: 'Cause I wouldn't help that hybrid half-breed with anything. The necklace is a talisman from the original witch herself. I want it.
- Stefan: Well, I'm sorry. I can't help you.
- Gloria: Don't be difficult. You know, I'd hate to have to tell Klaus what a liar his sidekick is.
[He rushes over at her but she turns her head, looks at him and he suddenly stops and grabs his head in pain.]
- Gloria: Guess I've got to get it out of you the hard way, huh?
[He falls to the floor.]
[Later, Stefan is shirtless and lying on a table. There are lit candles all over the floor. Gloria has a knife.]
- Stefan: What is this? Why can't I move?
- Gloria: Relax. It's just a little paralysis spell. Nothing major.
[She cuts his forearms with the knife. There's a recipient on the floor to collect the blood.]
- Gloria: Just got to get the information out of your pretty little head. You know, witches nowadays, they're into that new age stuff, but...I'm a little more old school voodoo.
[She takes little iron hooks and puts them in the forearms wounds. He screams.]
- Gloria: This will stop that pesky healing.
- Stefan: I won't tell you anything.
- Gloria: You don't have to.
[There are glass receptacles on the floor under his wrists. When the blood falls into them, a cloud of vapor rises out of them.]
- Gloria: You feel that? That's your essence. Your spirit. It lets me make a connection. Herbs help, too. Diviners, sage, witch hazel.
[She takes something.]
- Gloria: But my personal favorite...
[She rubs her hands with it.]
- Gloria: Vervain.
[She places her hands on his chest and his skin starts to burn. He screams.]
[The secret council meeting is underway.]
- Sheriff Forbes: There have no been no incidence of question since spring. It's been quiet.
- Carol: Anyone else have anything to add to the minutes? Damon?
- Damon: Ah, no, I think the sheriff covered it, Mayor Lockwood. Looks like we've made it through the worst.
- Carol: Well, I have nothing new to add, so thank you all for coming.
[Everyone leaves. Carol, Damon and Liz stay. Carol walks over to a table where Damon is fixing himself a drink.]
- Damon: Carol.
- Carol: Damon.
[Bill appears in the doorway.]
- Bill: I have a question. Do you three think that everybody on the council is clueless...or just stupid?
[They look at him, surprised.]
[Bonnie and Jeremy are in his bedroom. There are candles and grimoires on the floor.]
- Bonnie: Okay, tell me if you see anything in these grimoires that involves precious metals or a symbol that resembles a necklace.
- Jeremy: Wait, can't you just ask all the dead witches you were channeling?
- Bonnie: I don't have access to them anymore. They cut me off.
- Jeremy: Since when?
- Bonnie: Since I brought you back to life. I messed with the balance of nature and there were consequences. Hey. I'm sorry. I know I should have told you. I told Elena when it happened. I just didn't want you to feel weird about it, you know?
- Jeremy: Hey, no, no, look, you don't have to apologize for anything. Okay? You didn't do anything wrong.
- Bonnie: Elena said you've been having kind of a hard time since then.
- Jeremy: No, I'm fine. You know, just been, ah, a little out of it lately. So should I concentrate on the older books? Or, uh, I mean, how old is this necklace?
- Bonnie: Old.
[She laughs. He sits down. He opens a grimoire, takes the necklace, holds it up and looks at it. He sees Anna behind Bonnie.]
- Anna: Jeremy. The darkness. It's here.
[Suddenly all the grimoires burst into flames. They're surprised.]
- Bonnie: Jeremy!
[She removes the grimoire on Jeremy's lap with her powers and puts out the fire with a spell.]
- Bonnie: Are you okay?
- Jeremy: What the hell just happened?
- Bonnie: I have no idea.
[Stefan is still on the table. She takes some red powder and rub her hands with it.]
- Gloria: I'm impressed. You've got discipline, Stefan. It's not going to do you much good, but...Just let go, honey.
[He puts her hands on his chest. His skin burns and he screams.]
- Gloria: There you go, there you go.
[She see images of Stefan and Elena together and him giving her the necklace.]
- Gloria: There's the girl with the necklace. You love her. You'd do anything for her. And you have. A lot of darkness, a lot of guilt. All to keep her away from Klaus. Why would he be interested in one girl?
- Stefan: Don't do this. Don't do this.
[She sees the sacrifice and Klaus killing Elena.]
- Gloria: She's the doppelgänger. She's supposed to be dead, and that's why Klaus can't make hybrids, isn't it?
- Katherine: This is creepy.
[Gloria turns around. Katherine's beside her and she puts a stake through her neck. Gloria falls on the floor, dead. Katherine looks at Stefan.]
- Katherine: Maybe you do need my help, after all.
[Elena and Caroline are talking.]
- Caroline: Did Stefan ever tell you where he got the necklace?
- Elena: No. And I never asked. Hopefully Bonnie will be able to figure it out.
[Alaric rejoins them.]
- Alaric: Please tell me it's time to go.
- Elena: Beyond. Where's Damon?
- Caroline: Probably off somewhere doing bad things to good people. Consider me the honesty police.
[Suddenly she looks upset.]
- Elena: What is it?
- Alaric: What the matter?
- Caroline: It's my dad.
[Elena and Alaric turn around and see Bill in the adjoining room.]
- Elena: Why would he even show up here?
- Caroline: I don't know. But I can't...
- Elena: I get it. I'll call you later.
[Caroline leaves and goes upstairs.]
- Alaric: Okay, what was that all about?
- Elena: Speaking of doing bad things to good people...
[They leave. Outside, Damon opens the door behind them and walks down the stairs to them.]
- Damon: Wait, wait, Houston, we have a problem.
- Elena: Where have you been?
- Damon: Managing Bill Forbes. Apparently he's impervious to compulsion.
- Alaric: How?
- Damon: I have no idea. But he threatened to out me. Don't get me started on the irony of that.
- Elena: What did you do to him? How do you know the compulsion doesn't work?
- Damon: That's not the most important piece of information I mentioned, Elena.
- Alaric: What does he want?
- Damon: He wants to control the council. Says it's been compromised.
- Alaric: It has!
- Damon: He wants to put vervain in the town's water supply.
- Elena: Maybe it's not a bad idea. I mean, it'll help you keep yourself in control now that Stefan's not here to...
- Damon: To what? To keep me in check? Make me behave? I should have killed him this morning.
- Elena: He's Caroline's dad, Damon.
- Damon: Yeah, and when I kill him, she'll have one more parent than we do.
- Alaric: Oh, come on, Damon!
- Damon: You're repeatedly killing my buzz today, Ric. Step aside.
- Alaric: Yeah, it's not going to happen.
- Damon: Your temporary funeral.
[He kills Alaric by breaking his neck.]
- Elena: Damon, no! What is wrong with you?!
[He looks at her and leaves.]
[Stefan is wrapping Gloria's body in a sheet.]
- Katherine: I've been thinking about your diabolical plan.
- Stefan: Oh. Do tell.
- Katherine: Well, you must know that Klaus is too paranoid to ever fully trust you. But the sister, she loves you like it was yesterday. She's the easier mark. But you can't just pretend to care, because Klaus will know better, so you do the opposite. You bond with him; make her feel left out. That will only make her want you more.
- Stefan: Oh! So you mean, I'm, uh, I'm taking a page out of the Katherine Pierce playbook.
- Katherine: The only question is why, Stefan? I mean, I get it, you want to keep Klaus away from Mystic Falls, but...What else do you expect to get from it?
- Stefan: You know what's funny? You keep talking to me like I actually trust you enough to tell you anything.
- Katherine: Oh, come on, Stefan, we're beyond that. I saved you from Hilda the high voodoo priestess.
- Stefan: Okay. I knew them, back in the twenties. They were running from someone. Someone who scared them.
- Katherine: A Hunter. I heard stories about him centuries ago.
- Stefan: Don't you want to know why an Original vampire who can't be killed is afraid of a vampire Hunter?
- Katherine: If you're planning on making a move against Klaus...I want in.
- Stefan: That's good. It's good to want things, Katherine.
- Katherine: Stefan...
- Stefan: Katherine. I'm in this alone. If you're looking for a diabolical partner in crime, I suggest you look elsewhere.
[He leaves with Gloria's body on his shoulder.]
[Tyler enters his bedroom. Caroline is sitting on his bed.]
- Caroline: How was football practice?
- Tyler: What are you doing here?
- Caroline: Hiding out from my dad. He's here.
- Tyler: Are you okay? Do you want me to kick his ass?
- Caroline: Yes. No. I bought him the shirt he's wearing, and it's really expensive.
[He touches her shoulders.]
- Caroline: And through everything...He's still my dad. You know?
[He embraces her head by bringing it to his chest and he touches her hair. Caroline sits back up.]
- Caroline: God, you reek!
- Tyler: What?
- Caroline: It's bad.
- Tyler: No, this? This is sexy.
- Caroline: No! It's really bad.
[He takes off his shirt and they start to make out. She's on top of him when her phone rings.]
- Caroline: Oh! Hang on, my phone.
- Tyler: Oh, come on!
- Caroline: I'm only answering in case it's a friend emergency.
- Elena: It's an emergency.
[Elena is still standing on the lawn outside next to Alric's body at her feet.]
[Bill is in the office, pouring himself some scotch. Damon enters.]
- Damon: Whoa, whoa. Is that scotch? I figured you for an abstainer.
- Bill: Everything in moderation. Keeps the mind clear from...influence.
- Damon: Like vampire compulsion.
- Bill: Yeah, I tried to tell you...
- Damon: Yeah, yeah, powerful tool. Got it. I'm impressed. Can't say I've ever seen that before.
- Bill: Well, it takes a certain human focus. It's a skill that I've been honing for decades. Plus, your technique...Is a little lazy.
- Damon: Duly noted. I'm curious. Why not just expose us to the council?
- Bill: I know you think I'm the bad guy here, Damon, but I would never expose my own daughter to those morons.
- Damon: It's a pretty risky move, taking me on, don't you think?
- Bill: I knew what I was risking when I didn't leave town, but I figured...You're not self-destructive enough to kill the sheriff's ex-husband.
- Damon: Makes you the third person to underestimate me today.
[He rushes over to him, bites him and drinks his blood. He stops. Bill is on his knees.]
- Damon: Whoo! You know, with all this behavioral modification going on around here, I almost forgot how good blood tastes when it's...Fresh.
- Bill: What are you going to do? Kill everybody who discovers your secret?
- Damon: No, I'm not going to kill you, Bill. I'm just going to find pleasure in perfect little moments like this.
[He bites him again but Caroline rushes in, throws him against the wall, and then throws him through the window. The she rushes over to Bill.]
- Caroline: Daddy! Are you okay?
- Bill: I'm fine.
[She bites her wrist.]
- Caroline: Here. It'll heal you.
- Bill: I said I'm okay.
- Caroline: Grow up.
[She makes her dad drink her blood.]
- Damon: Let me teach this ass-wheel a life lesson.
- Caroline: Just get out of here.
- Damon: Or what?
[She hits him in the face and in retaliation he throws her on the desk. Then he strangles her.]
- Damon: I'm stronger than you, little girl.
- Caroline: Well, I'm angrier!
[She breaks his arm. Then she takes his head, head-butts it and throws him against the wall. Then she gets up rushes away with Bill. Elena's still there.]
- Damon: Bummer. I love a good girl fight.
[He has blood on his mouth.]
- Elena: You can't do this anymore, Damon. Not in this town. Not around me.
- Damon: Why not? It's nothing I haven't done before. Why is it suddenly so important for everyone to keep me in check?
- Elena: Because I don't want you to be what other people think that you are.
- Damon: What? A monster? Sorry to disappoint you, Elena, but last time I checked, I was still a vampire!
- Elena: I guess I wish that you didn't have to act like one!
- Damon: I am not Stefan. How about you stop trying to turn me into him?
[Jeremy is in the bathroom, washing his hands.]
- Bonnie: Hey, Jeremy. There's ashes everywhere.
- Jeremy: I'll go grab the vacuum.
- Bonnie: No, I got it.
[She leaves. Anna appears.]
- Anna: Are you okay?
[Jeremy closes the bathroom door so they have privacy.]
- Jeremy: Don't.
- Anna: What?
- Jeremy: Bonnie's here, okay? You've got to stop.
- Anna: I was just trying to warn you. I felt something bad. Dangerous.
- Jeremy: You...you just can't pop up every time she and I are together.
- Anna: It's a two-way street, Jeremy. I only pop up when you're thinking about me. That's why you haven't told her. Isn't it? You don't want her to know you still care.
- Jeremy: I can't do this right now. I can't. This is just too much.
- Anna: I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that.
- Jeremy: Good-bye, Anna.
- Anna: Don't! Jeremy, please. Don't shut me out.
[Her voice fades. Jeremy closes his eyes and when he reopens them, Anna's gone. Jeremy goes into his bedroom. Bonnie's there.]
- Bonnie: What's wrong?
- Jeremy: You asked me before if something was wrong and I said no.
- Bonnie: Yeah.
- Jeremy: That was a lie. I was lying to you. When you brought me back to life...
[Anna is in the bathroom, looking at them and crying. Her voice sounds distant.]
- Anna: Say you can hear me, Jeremy. Please!
- Jeremy: Something happened...
- Anna: I am all alone!
[Stefan looks at the coffins and stops in front of one. He touches it but Rebekah's enters so he removes his hand.]
- Rebekah: You're back. Finally. Nik went to check on the witch.
[She looks at the coffin.]
- Rebekah: Dreary, isn't it? The family cargo.
- Stefan: Hmm. Why don't you undagger them?
- Rebekah: Because he would hunt me down and kill me. He's a vindictive little bastard, my brother.
- Stefan: But you still care about him. Why?
- Rebekah: Well, I hated him for a long time. It was exhausting.
[She sits down on the coffin and Stefan sits next to her.]
- Stefan: You know, when I met you two, you were both on the run.
- Rebekah: Also exhausting.
- Stefan: Who were you running from?
- Rebekah: What do you mean?
- Stefan: Last night I saw you, there was a man looking for you. You both seemed afraid. I just...I wouldn't think Klaus would be afraid of anybody.
- Rebekah: No one in this world is truly fearless, Stefan. Not even Niklaus.
- Stefan: Who was that man?
- Rebekah: I can't. Please.
[She gets up.]
- Rebekah: If Nik knew we were talking about this, he would...
- Stefan: No, no, no, I'm sorry.
[He gets up.]
- Stefan: Just forget I asked. Okay?
- Rebekah: He told me about the girl you loved. The one that died. He also told me that you're only with him because he saved your brother.
- Stefan: It's true.
- Rebekah: I think he secretly admires that about you. You'd sacrifice anything for family. Don't tell him I told you that.
- Stefan: Your secret...is safe with me.
[He starts to turn around but she pulls him close and kisses him.]
- Rebekah: Do you think you'll ever love anyone like you loved that girl?
- Stefan: One day, maybe.
- Rebekah: I can always tell when you're lying, Stefan.
- Stefan: What? I'm not...
- Rebekah: Don't bother. Your kiss already gave you away.
[Klaus comes in walking quickly.]
- Klaus: Gloria's gone. She's cleared out. We need to find a new witch immediately.
[He stops and looks at them.]
- Klaus: What's going on?
- Rebekah: Something's wrong. He was asking about Michael. He's not with us, Nik. I can sense it.
- Stefan: She's wrong. Klaus...
[Klaus rushes over to him.]
Salvatore Boarding House
[Damon pours himself a drink and another drink. Then he goes to the couch on which Alaric is still lying dead. Damon waggles his glass next to Alaric's ear.]
- Damon: Wake up!
[Alaric wakes up gasping deeply.]
- Damon: It took a bit longer than usual, huh? Might want to get that ring checked. Hope it's not going bad.
- Alaric: You killed me.
- Damon: You pissed me off.
- Alaric: You killed me!
- Damon: Ric, no hard feelings, all right? I was on a bit of a tear. Everyone was trying to tell me how to behave.
- Alaric: Well, maybe they finally realized you're just a dick.
[He gets up and leaves.]
[Elena and Caroline are walking and speaking.]
- Caroline: I'm not going to say I told you so.
- Elena: Thank you.
- Caroline: But I did tell you....so.
- Elena: Okay, you and Damon were both right. I was trying to change him. But if he wants to be in my life...
- Caroline: Wait. I...It's been a long week, so I'm just going to be blunt. It doesn't matter what he does, Damon's gotten under your skin.
- Elena: That's not true.
- Caroline: God, just admit it, Elena, okay? You are attracted to him! In all of his bad brother glory.
- Elena: No.
- Caroline: Wait, no, you're not attracted to him, or no, you just won't admit it?
- Elena: I can't, Caroline! If I admit it, if I even thought it for just a second...What does that say about me?
- Caroline: It says you're human, Elena.
[She looks past Elena and sees her father walking on the other side of the square.]
- Elena: Do you need me to...
- Caroline: No, I got it.
[Bill unlocks his car. Caroline walks up to him.]
- Caroline: Hey.
- Bill: Hey. Don't worry, I'm going to go back home before somebody kills me.
- Caroline: How's your...
- Bill: Oh, healed.
[He shows her his neck.]
- Bill: Thank you. For coming to my rescue.
- Caroline: You're welcome.
- Bill: Bye, Caroline.
- Caroline: Daddy. I'm going to be okay.
- Bill: You're a vampire, sweetheart. I don't think you'll ever be okay again.
[Alaric is talking with Liz and Carol.]
- Sheriff Forbes: I understand where you're coming from, but...
- Alaric: The Gilbert family is a founding family, and they deserve to have a voice on the council. I'm taking care of them, I should be that voice.
- Carol: That's not the way it works, Mr. Saltzman.
- Alaric: Oh, really? Well, then tell me how it does. The council's job is to protect the people of this town. Now your daughter's a vampire and your son's a werewolf. So who's looking after the actual people? Some of them may be family or friends, but they are still supernatural. They don't follow our rules or our laws, they look after themselves, and that's what we need to do. I'll see you at the next meeting.
[He gets up and leaves.]
[Katherine joins Bonnie at a table outside and pretends to be Elena.]
- Katherine: Hey there.
- Bonnie: Hey.
- Katherine: I just saw Jeremy. He said that you still have my necklace?
- Bonnie: Yeah, I haven't figured out what's going on with it yet.
- Katherine: I know. But I just...I feel weird without it. The whole Stefan of it all.
- Bonnie: Okay.
[She gives her back her necklace.]
- Bonnie: Did Jeremy also tell you that he's been seeing ghosts of his dead girlfriends all summer?
[Katherine is surprised.]
- Katherine: What?
- Bonnie: Vicki and Anna. He's been talking to them.
- Katherine: You're kidding.
- Bonnie: I wish. It's because I brought him back to life. The witches said there would be consequences. Guess they were right.
[She turns her head to look at the waitress.]
- Bonnie: You know, what am I supposed to...
[Katherine has disappeared. Bonnie realizes it wasn't Elena she was talking to.]
Salvatore Boarding House
[Damon opens the front door. Katherine's there, but Damon thinks it's Elena.]
- Damon: I'll accept written apologies only.
- Katherine: Are you two lovebirds fighting already?
- Damon: Katherine. Wonderful. What do you want?
- Katherine: I'm just a girl looking for a partner in crime. Feel like hitting the road? Getting the hell out of dodge?
- Damon: You have impeccable timing. I was told I need to take a beat.
- Katherine: Is that a yes? I'll drive.
- Damon: Why not? Walls are starting to close in on me around here. Where are we going?
- Katherine: Away from here. That's all I'm going to give you for right now. But believe me...it's good.
[She dangles Elena's necklace in front of him.]
[Stefan wakes up with a start inside the back of a truck filled with the coffins. Klaus is looking at him.]
- Stefan: Just give me a chance to explain myself, okay?
- Klaus: No need. I'm not mad, I'm just curious. Rebekah seems to think you're holding onto something. A piece of your old life. The thing is, she's got flawless instincts, borderline supernatural. So I thought I would check it out. See for myself what it is you've been hiding.
[He opens the back of the truck. They're in Mystic Falls.]
- Klaus: Welcome back to Mystic Falls, Stefan.