|“||I'm going to remake him. [...] Make him strong, fast, Like my children, Indestructible. For one final time, I'm going to tap into the dark magic I used a thousand years ago. Like my husband Mikael before him, I will make Alaric into a true hunter, the vampire to end all vampires. [...] Now that he's embraced his darkest aspect his hatred for them will become more pure and uncompromising. In death, that hatred will be magnified. [...] Each time he died with that ring, during his brief journey into death, I was there on the Other Side. I spoke to him. I nurtured him, knowing that every death brought him closer to his true self. Vampires took everything from him. Now he's getting his vengeance.||”|
WHAT THE WORLD HAS TO OFFER - Alaric finds an unexpected ally to guide him on his dangerous new path, while Damon and Meredith try to figure out what their next move should be. At the school's 1920s Decade Dance, Bonnie asks Jamie to go with her and at Caroline's suggestion, Elena asks Stefan to be her date. Caroline is pleasantly surprised when Tyler shows up at the dance determined to sweep her off her feet, but Klaus does his best to come between them. The dance takes a deadly turn when Damon and Stefan realize they need the help of Matt, Jeremy and especially Bonnie to undo a spell that could prove devastating for everyone.
The episode begins in the Mikaelson Family Mansion with Klaus painting a canvas. Unaware that Esther has possessed Rebekah, Klaus asks his 'sister' what took so long in claiming the White Oak Stake from Alaric. Esther hands him a decoy stake which Klaus throws into the fire. He tells her to pack because they're leaving town. Esther plays the Caroline card and convinces Klaus to stay until after the 20s Decade Dance.
Alaric lies to Damon on the phone, telling him he's taking a sabbatical for a few days. Esther walks in and explains it's time for her to return to her real body. She hands Alaric a White Oak Ash Dagger which he uses to stab Rebekah's body with. This results in Esther returning to her true body.
Elena and Caroline are busy decorating their school gym for the dance. Both seemed thrilled that Jeremy is adjusting well since returning from Denver. Caroline tells Elena that Damon's had his turn and to invite Stefan to the dance. Elena calls Stefan and asks him to go and Stefan says yes.
Damon arrives at the hospital and tells Meredith that Alaric isn't taking the herbs that Bonnie gave him. Alaric and Esther are in the cemetery. She informs him that this is the location where Klaus killed her and thus is a good spot to channel her powers. She asks for his Gilbert Ring, telling him that binding the ring to his stake will make it indestructible. Alaric gives it to her and she binds the ring and stake together telling him it is now the ultimate weapon.
Stefan arrives at Elena's to take her to the dance. He tells her that their history at dances has been full of danger. She reminds him that getting out of bed is dangerous. At the dance. Caroline tells Matt that she's noticed how close him and Elena have gotten and reminds him that Elena is spoken for by the Salvatore Brothers. They are both surprised to see Tyler arrive at the dance. She tells Tyler that Klaus may notice he's here. Tyler responds that he's not going to sit around while Klaus tries charming her. He whisks her away to dance.
Elena and Stefan arrive. While dancing, they notice that Bonnie is there with Jamie. After commenting on how happy she seems, Elena begins to tells Stefan about what happened in Denver. Stefan interrupts and tells her she can tell him later. Damon arrives and informs them about Alaric. They begin to leave, which Jeremy sees and he begins to follow. He bumps into Bonnie and Jamie and Bonnie is curious why he's still wearing his Gilbert Ring after what it did to Alaric. He tells her when the vampires are gone he'll take it off.
Damon, Stefan and Elena discuss what to do about Alaric. Damon suggests putting him down. Jeremy overhears this and vehemently veto's the idea. He walks out and Elena follows. She tells him they will find another way. Esther appears. Elena is alarmed and tells Jeremy to go get help, which he leaves to do. Esther tells Elena that Alaric needs her assistance and she will give it whether she wants to or not. Elena follows her out. Damon and Stefan hurry outside and see that Esther has cast a spell to contain them at the school. Bonnie and Jamie are in a classroom making out when they're interrupted by Damon who tells them what's happening.
Esther and Elena arrive at the cemetery. Elena wonders what she's done with Alaric. He appears and tells her that he's fine. Esther explains she's going to turn Alaric into an Original Vampire. Elena worries that he'll become a bigger monster than her children but Esther states this will not be the case. Elena says Esther doesn't know Alaric but Esther tells her she'd been guiding him from The Other Side each time he had died.
Klaus walks into the dance floor and immediately notices Caroline and Tyler dancing. Klaus walks up to them asking where Tyler has been. Tyler tells him that he just returned. Klaus asks if he can cut in and dance with Caroline. She protests at this but Tyler states that it is fine. Caroline skeptically takes Klaus' hand and he leads her out to the dance floor. Klaus informs her that he's leaving town and tells her an invitation is open for her to join. When Caroline scoffs at the idea, Klaus tells her Tyler and Mystic Falls will never be enough for her. He walks off as Caroline looks on confused. Klaus tries to leave the school but is stops when he sees the salt line from Esther's spell. Stefan informs him that his mother did it.
In the classroom; Bonnie is trying to undo Esther's spell with Stefan, Damon, Jeremy, Jamie and Klaus surrounding her. Matt walks in explaining all the non-vampires are leaving the school. Jeremy suggests that he and Matt can go stop Esther themselves. Klaus grows impatient and grips Jamie by the throat in an attempt to hurry Bonnie's spell along. Stefan reminds him that Bonnie won't help them if he kills people she cares about so Klaus lets him go.
In the cemetery, Esther is preparing her spell. Elena tells Alaric this isn't who he is. Alaric responds that she only knew the weak parts of him and that Jenna's blood in on his hands. Esther is now ready to begin but Elena refuses to give her blood. Esther telekinetically forces her to do so and puts her blood in a chalice. Alaric drinks the blood and is then stabbed by Esther with the White Oak Stake.
Bonnie tries a locator spell to find Esther but realizes that Esther is blocking her. When she suggests that Esther is channeling a hotspot, Klaus realizes where Esther is. He tells Bonnie to get Jeremy and Matt ready. Caroline and Tyler are in the gym when Stefan tells them that Matt and Jeremy have left. Caroline is mad that Stefan let them leave but he tells her there wasn't another option. Tyler is still steamed about Caroline dancing with Klaus but she reassures him that she loves him and they kiss.
In the cemetery, Elena pulls the stake out of Alaric. Esther tells her that when he revives that he may be his old self so she should say her goodbyes. Elena tells Esther that she's doing is just as evil as what she's trying to stop. Esther tells her that Alaric will never become what her children are and he'll die when the right time comes. She tells Elena she desire a world where people like Jenna don't have to suffer from vampires. Elena is angry she would use Jenna as an excuse but Esther tells her that Jenna has found peace. A noise is heard outside and Esther goes to investigate. It is Jeremy and Matt with their weapons drawn and they want Elena to be let go. Esther is annoyed and turns their weapons onto each other. Alaric appears behind Esther and stabs her with the stake, killing her. Alaric has awoken as his old self and doesn't know what has happened to him.
At the school, Klaus asks Stefan if his thirst for revenge is worth the cost of what happens. Stefan tells him that he's through with revenge and reminds Klaus that Esther's been stopped before and can be again. Klaus says he's reminded of when him and Stefan were friends and brothers but Damon tells Klaus that Stefan already has a brother. Bonnie arrives and tells them that Esther's spell is broken and they can leave. Klaus quickly leaves as Stefan thanks her, but Bonnie states she didn't do it for him.
Inside the cemetery tomb, Jeremy tells them that Klaus took Esther's body. Alaric tells Elena and Jeremy that he's not going to complete his transition into a vampire. Jeremy is upset about this and Alaric tries to soothe him with a hug. After Jeremy walks out, Elena claims that this is all her fault because she guilted him into taking care of her and Jeremy. Alaric reassures her that taking care of them has been the closest he's come to the life he wanted. As they exit the tomb, they notice Stefan, Damon, Caroline, Tyler, Matt, Bonnie, Jeremy and Meredith are all there holding candles as a sort of goodbye. Alaric is genuinely moved by their support and walks into the tomb.
Back at his mansion, Klaus un-daggers Rebekah and walks over to Esther's body. He tells her that she failed and dares her to come back, swearing she'll never destroy him. Bonnie and Jamie arrive at her place. He knows she is upset by what's happened and tells her she did all she could. Bonnie doesn't think she'll be okay by herself, so Jamie stays. At the Mystic Grill, Matt pours shots of liquor for himself and Jeremy in dedication to Alaric. At the school, Elena is in Alaric's classroom clearing out evidence of his hunters gear. Stefan walks in and tells her that her chore isn't necessary to do right now and asks her to come with him. He takes her to the gym and reminds her that's its okay to feel and that it was her who told him that. Stefan tells her she still has him and they hug.
Damon is sitting in the cemetery when Meredith tells him she sedated Alaric so he could die peacefully. Meredith doesn't want Damon to leave Alaric alone. He doesn't want to see Alaric but Meredith convinces him to do so. Damon walks in and Alaric amusingly asks if he's going to give him a dream like he did for Rose. Damon genuinely apologizes for killing Alaric twice and shares his battle of bourbon. Alaric takes the bottle and drinks with a tear rolling from his eyes.
Esther appears to Bonnie in her sleep and tells her Bonnie she needs to finish what she started. Jamie wakes her up but she falls back asleep. In the tomb, Damon sees that Alaric is now unconscious and barely breathing. Damon gives him a sad look before exiting. Outside, he sees Bonnie hazily walking towards him. After asking her if she's sleepwalking, she turns around and uses her powers to force him to the ground. She enters the tomb and stabs her hand with the White Oak Stake. She places her hand in Alaric's mouth. This wakes him up and he then drinks from her neck. Alaric stands up now an Original Vampire and as his alter ego The Darkness.
- Antagonists: Esther and Alaric Saltzman/Darkness.
- All main cast members are present in this episode for the third time this season after The Birthday and Our Town.
- This episode features a 20s Decade Dance. The theme of the dance was influenced by Rebekah, who preferred the 1920s over the previously-chosen 1970s, but she herself could not make it to the dance due to Esther's scheming.
- Jeremy returns to Mystic Falls in this episode. The last time he was in town was in Our Town and the last time he was seen was in Break On Through during a phone conversation with Elena.
- Julie Plec cried during the read-through of this episode over a sad Stefan scene.
- The song written by the winner of the contest was used in this episode.
- This is the episode in which Alaric was turned into an Enhanced Original by Esther. She did this with the intention turning Alaric into a powerful vampire vampire-hunter like Mikael, who would finally be able to kill all of the Originals, and thus, rid the earth of all vampires in existence.
- Alaric is the fifth main character to turn into a vampire, after Vicki, Caroline, Jenna and Tyler (as a hybrid). As of this episode, over half the main cast are vampires, with the exception of Elena, Jeremy, Matt and Bonnie.
- Elena learn from Esther that Jenna found peace.
- Jamie appeared in this episode.
- Esther meets Jeremy and Matt in this episode.
- Jamie meets Jeremy and Klaus in this episode.
- Jeremy and Klaus finally meet in this episode.
- Jamie and Bonnie kiss for the first time.
- Klaus and Caroline danced for the second time this season in this episode.
- The first time was in Dangerous Liaisons.
- Steven R. McQueen makes his 50th appearance as Jeremy Gilbert in this episode.
- The indestructible white oak stake was created by Esther in this episode by coating the last one of the Mystic Falls Gang's white oak stakes with Alaric's melted-down Gilbert ring, infusing it with the protective magic in the ring to ensure the stake would not burn up when used on an Original.
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- Meredith and Jamie were last seen in Break On Through.
- Abby is mentioned by Damon in the episode. She was last seen in Break On Through.
- Elijah was mentioned by Damon. He was last seen in All My Children.
- Bonnie's house was shown for the first time this season. She was last residing in Sheila Bennett's house in Season One.
- Jenna was mentioned twice, once by Alaric and once by Esther. She was last seen in The Sun Also Rises, when she was killed by Klaus.
- Mikael was mentioned in this episode. He was last seen in Homecoming, when he was killed by Klaus.
- "Do not go gentle into that good night" is the refrain and title of a 1951 poem by Dylan Thomas, who wrote it for his dying father. He tries to convince his father to fight against his imminent death.
- "Last Hurrah " is a final appearance or effort, usually at the end of one career. From the 1956 novel The Last Hurrah by Edwin O'Connor, also a movie adaptation with Spencer Tracy.
- The Bachelor is American TV series were an eligible bachelor can choose a mate from a pool of young women. At the beginning of the show he must go on a date with each of the potentials.
- "Bromance" a strong male-bonding, ideally not homosexual, relationship.
- "Dapper " neat and trim in dress and appearance.
- "Mercy Killing " is the practice of killing a person or animal, in a painless way or as painless as possible, as an act of mercy, usually to end suffering.
- "Ring of Salt " it is traditional for witches to make a ring of salt to define a space, to keep evil spirits out of their working circles or to entrap them. On the other hand it could be a reference to the TV series Supernatural, where they frequently use rings of salt as defense, or their viral campaign "A Ring of Salt will protect you ".
- "Seven minutes in heaven" is a teenagers party game where two people are locked inside a locker or bathroom for seven minutes, when they can do whatever they please - usually kissing and making out.
- "Alpha Male" is the dominant male on a group of social animals. In wolves, the Alpha is the strongest animal, and he maintain his dominance by defeating challengers in combat.
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 2.22 million viewers in the USA.
- Caroline: (to Elena about Matt and Jeremy) "Look at them, all bromancey."
- Damon: (to Meredith) "Alaric, you remember him, right? About 6'2", tried to hack you into pieces?"
- Esther: (to Alaric referring to the indestructible white oak stake) "The ultimate weapon, for the ultimate hunter."
- Elena: (to Stefan) "Getting out of bed is dangerous these days, but we have to live our lives."
- Damon: (to Bonnie and Jamie) "Sorry to spoil your seven minutes in heaven."
- Esther: (to Elena) "That's the burden of being the doppelgänger, I'm afraid. Your blood is a potent binding agent for a witch's spell."
- Esther: (to Elena about Alaric) "I'm going to remake him. Make him strong, fast, like my children. Indestructible. For one final time, I'm going to tap into the dark magic I used a thousand years ago. Like my husband, Mikael, before him, I will make Alaric into a true hunter. The vampire to end all vampires."
- Caroline: "I watched The Bachelor, fair is fair. It's Stefan's turn."
- Elena: (to Stefan) "I don't know where we are, what we are, or if we can ever make our way back to each other. But, I'm going to the dance and I'd really like you to go with me."
- Esther: (in Rebekah's body) "I have big plans for tonight."
- Damon: (to Alaric) "I've been calling you all day!"
- Alaric: "Yeah, sorry about that. I just needed to get my head together."
- Damon: "So, I take you and Rebekah got the stake?"
- Alaric: "I don't know. I woke up alone."
- Damon: "What now?"
- Alaric: "I think I need to get out of town. I keep blacking out, which means I am still a threat to everyone."
- Damon: "I don't know if right now is the best time for you to be going on a spirit quest, Ric."
- Alaric: "It's just for a couple of days. I am stocked up on Bonnie's herbs, so I should be fine."
- Damon: "Sorry I killed you... twice."
- Alaric: "So I have to actually die to get a real apology out of you."
- Damon: (hands him a bottle of bourbon) "Drink?"
- Alaric: "Actually I've been thinking about cutting back."
- Caroline: "Have I told you how amazingly awesome you are?"
- Matt: "Yeah, I'm one of the good ones. I know. Why the compliments? What else do you want?"
- Caroline: "I know that you and Elena have been getting closer lately..."
- Matt: "And your point is?"
- Caroline: "One way or the other, she's pretty much spoken for."
- Matt: "Elena's my friend, Caroline. I'm just looking out for her."
- Caroline: "And I'm just looking out for you. Because sometimes the people who love her get caught in the crossfire."
- Caroline: "Why do you always have to prove you're the alpha male?"
- Klaus: "I don't have to prove anything, love-- I am the alpha male."