REMEMBRANCE DAY - While Mystic Falls observes its traditional Remembrance Day to honor the dead, Damon and Elena try to help Stefan through a confusing time, a task that ends up taking Elena on an emotional journey of her own. A worried Matt tries to figure out the reason behind his mysterious blackouts, and Caroline makes an effort to get to know Jesse better. Jeremy makes a startling confession that hits Damon hard. Finally Dr. Maxfield puts a plan in motion that will change everything.
- Antagonist: Wes Maxfield.
- Silas, Nadia and Katherine do not appear. This is the first episode in Season Five to not feature them.
- Stefan is drawn to Elena despite having no memories of his life, his friends, or his family.
- Both Elena and Damon try to remind Stefan of who he is in their own ways
- Elena tries to help Stefan regain his memories by re-enacting the first time they met and taking him to Wickery Bridge, which leads to awkwardness when Stefan misreads the signs and mistakenly assumes that Elena has feelings for him.
- Damon tries to help Stefan regain his memories by revisiting their history using Stefan's journals and Damon's own recollections of their lives as brothers, both when they were human and after they were turned into vampires.
- Because Stefan has lost all of his memories regarding his identity and his relationships with others, Stefan has to re-learn how to be a vampire. Despite the fact that he has no recollection of the guilt he carried from his past misdeeds, Stefan still has an insatiable, Ripper-like hunger for human blood that he must re-learn how to control.
- Matt grows increasingly worried about his recent blackouts and enlists Jeremy's help him in getting answers from Bonnie about why he's losing time. As a result, Jeremy is forced to confess to everyone that Bonnie is dead in order to explain why Bonnie cannot help them out of their supernatural problems.
- Once Jeremy has confessed Bonnie's death, first to Damon, and then to the others, a memorial is held for her in the woods, which Jeremy, Damon, Elena, Caroline, Matt and Tyler all attend.
- It is revealed during Damon's informational discussions about the Salvatore history that his and Stefan's mother died of consumption, which was the old-fashioned name for tuberculosis.
- Damon explains the origins of the Remembrance Day event, which began after Mystic Falls survived a cholera outbreak in the 1820s. However, he believes that in the modern day, it's just an excuse to get drunk.
- Elena rings a bell for her family at the cemetery and takes a drink before explaining to the amnesiac Stefan that, in the last three years, she's lost both her adoptive, Grayson and Miranda, and biological, John and Isobel, parents, her legal guardians Jenna and Alaric, and her brother Jeremy. She also tells him that Jeremy was brought back to life by her friend Bonnie.
- In an interesting twist, Alaric would also later be resurrected in Home.
- Tyler made his reappearance after an absence of seven episodes for Bonnie's funeral.
- This is the first episode of the season to feature (physically) all eight main cast members.
- When Elena touches Stefan's face, and he is about to kiss her, she says, "I'm with Damon." The song "Gravity" by Sara Bareilles is played in the background.
- Wes purposely kills Jesse after finding vampire blood in his system with the intention of turning him into a vampire. He was fed the blood by Caroline in order to heal him after an upset Stefan attacked him at the cemetery.
- Additionally, Caroline is the first known main character sired by Damon who has sired another vampire with their blood.
- Jeremy, Caroline, Bonnie and Jesse were last seen in True Lies.
- Tyler was last seen in Pictures of You.
- His voice was last heard in I Know What You Did Last Summer.
- Zach Salvatore was mentioned by Damon.
- Giuseppe Salvatore was mentioned by Damon. He was last seen during flashbacks in Blood Brothers.
- Damon mentioned his and Stefan's mother. She was last mentioned in Season One's, Blood Brothers.
- Jenna Sommers was mentioned by Elena. She was last seen during flashbacks in Season Three's The Departed and was last mentioned in Stand By Me.
- Grayson and Miranda Gilbert were both mentioned by Elena. They were last seen during flashbacks in The Departed.
- Miranda was last seen in We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes.
- John Gilbert and Isobel Flemming were both mentioned by Elena.
- Alaric Saltzman was mentioned by Elena. He was killed by Rebekah (indirectly) in The Departed. He was last seen in Graduation.
- He would later be resurrected in Home.
- Honoria Fell was mentioned by Stefan. She was killed by Stefan in a flashback in The Dinner Party.
- Elena mentioned burning down the Gilbert House with Jeremy's corpse inside, which was first seen in Stand By Me. In Graduation, Bonnie successfully brought Jeremy back to life.
- The Wickery Bridge was last seen in We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes.
- Rudy Hopkins was mentioned by Jeremy. He was killed by Silas in I Know What You Did Last Summer.
- This is the only episode in Season Five where Katherine Pierce doesn't appear until her death in Gone Girl.
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- McKinley, Virginia
- The title may allude to Ernest Hemingway's 1940 novel of the same name and 1943 film adaptation starring Gary Cooper and Ingrid Bergman.
- Hemingway's work itself derived its title from John Donne's Meditation XVII: "...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."
- For Whom the Bell Tolls is also a song by Metallica, from the album Ride the Lightning.
- From Whom The Bell Tolls is also a song by The Bee Gees, Saxon and W.A.S.P.
- For Whom the Bell Tolls is the name of the season 1 finale of Pretty Little Liars.
- For Whom The Bell Tolls is also name of the season 2 episode 50 of The Kids from Room 402.
- For Whom the Bell Tolls is the 7th episode of the second season from the American TV show Married with Children.
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 2.63 million viewers in USA, which was 0.30 million less than the previous episode.
- Hashtag during the airing is #Vampnesia
- Elena: "So, Mr. "So Far, So Good." Mr. "I Can Handle My Brother." Mr. "I Know What I'm Doing..."
- Damon: "Hey. I never said I know what I'm doing."
- Caroline: "Stefan?"
- Stefan: (slurs drunkenly) "Caroline Forbes! My best friend."
- Caroline: "What? You recognize me?"
- Stefan: "Well, I've studied pictures. You're much hotter in person. Sorry. I'm—I'm a little drunk."
- Caroline: "Yeah. Yeah. I can see that."
- Stefan: "I have no memories because my brain was fried. My brother-- who's been my brother for 160-some-odd years-- stole my girlfriend, and my girlfriend let him. So, you tell me-- what's the point of being good?"
- Elena: "I don't have any clothes. I have nothing to wear. I mean, I burned my house down with all of my funeral clothes in it. I'm supposed to be strong, I'm supposed to have learned how to handle this, but... I can't. I can't keep doing this, Damon. Stefan's gone, Bonnie's dead. She gave up her life so that I could have my brother back, and I didn't even know about it."
- Bonnie: (at her funeral) "This is good. This is all I wanted. I'll be okay. We'll all be okay."