- 1 Gilbert Residence/Salvatore Boarding House
- 2 Mystic Falls High School
- 3 Gilbert Residence
- 4 Mystic Falls High School
- 5 Grayson Gilbert's Office
- 6 Building
- 7 Grayson Gilbert's Office
- 8 Building
- 9 Grayson Gilbert's Office
- 10 Building
- 11 Grayson Gilbert's Office
- 12 Mystic Grill
- 13 Town Square
- 14 Sheriff's Office
- 15 Mystic Falls
- 16 Mystic Grill
- 17 Town Square
- 18 Grayson Gilbert's Office
- 19 Town Square
- 20 Grayson Gilbert's Office
- 21 Town Square
- 22 Grayson Gilbert's Office
- 23 Mystic Grill
- 24 Mystic Falls
- 25 Town Square
- 26 Mystic Grill
- 27 Grayson Gilbert's Office
- 28 Town Square
- 29 Sheriff's Office
- 30 Grayson Gilbert's Office
- 31 Town Square
- 32 Grayson Gilbert's Office
- 33 Town Square
- 34 Grayson Gilbert's Office
- 35 Mystic Grill
- 36 Gilbert Residence
- 37 Mystic Falls Hospital
- 38 Gilbert Residence
- 39 Mystic Grill
- 40 Gilbert Residence
- 41 See More
Gilbert Residence/Salvatore Boarding House
[Elena and Stefan are getting dressed the for Founders' Day Parade. She puts her necklace on as Jenna helps Elena get into her dress.]
- Elena: Ouch, this dress hurts.
- Jenna: Suck it in, baby.
Mystic Falls High School
[Everybody is preparing for Founders' Day. Carol Lockwood is supervising.]
- Mrs Lockwood: No, no, no, no, no! It's all wrong! The marching band should be in front of the Historic Society. Matt, get up on the float. Boys, I asked you to put chairs on the Founders' Float. Ladies! Time to get on the float.
[Stefan is standing alone, waiting. Damon arrives.]
- Damon: Look at you, all retro.
- Stefan: What are you doing here?
- Damon: Why wouldn't I be here? Bonnie deactivated the Gilbert invention, Isobel is gone and it's Founders' Day! I'm here to eat cotton candy and steal your girl.
- Stefan: Don't start with me, Damon.
- Damon: Oh, you started this Stefan with that whole "I'm insecure, leave Elena alone" speech. I'm enjoying that.
- Stefan: As long as you heard it.
- Damon: What? You have no sense of humor, Stefan.
- Stefan: Actually I've no sense of 'Damon humor'.
- Damon: 'Damon humor'...Hey look, I get it, I get it. I'm the better, hotter, superior choice and you're scared, now that Katherine is out of the picture, that I'm gonna turn all my attention to Elena. But don't worry, Elena is not Katherine.
- Stefan: You're right, she's not.
[Damon and Stefan see Elena approaching. In her period dress she looks strikingly like Katherine. She smiles at them and curtsies.]
[Jeremy is in his bedroom, putting his clothes on for Founders' Day. Anna arrives.]
- Jeremy: Anna.
- Anna: Look at you!
- Jeremy: I know, it's stupid, huh? I'm part of the parade; but how are you? I've been so worried and I feel awful.
- Anna: Why? You didn't kill my mother, your uncle did.
- Jeremy: Are you sure it was him?
- Anna: Who else would have done it?
- John: He doesn't understand, Anna, it's who he is. He hates all vampires. He's just doing what he thinks is right.
- Anna: Are you defending him?
- Jeremy: No, no way. It's just...I do understand where he's coming from. He's convinced all the tomb vampires want revenge on this town and he's just...he's trying to protect it.
- Anna: They do want revenge, or at least they did, but that's why we separated from them. My mom wasn't after revenge; she just wanted her life back. I have to get out of this town, Jeremy.
- Jeremy: You're leaving?
- Anna: I've been thinking...you could come with me. I could turn you. I mean...you said you wanted me to. Here.
[She gives him a flask with her blood.]
- Anna: It's my blood. If you die with it in your system, you'll come back.
- Jeremy: Anna...
- Anna: I know you, what it's like for you...being alone, always feeling empty inside, no one to understand. But when you're a vampire, you don't have to feel that way. You can shut it off. I can show you how.
- Jeremy: I wanted to, I did.
[He turns away from Anna. She looks sad.]
- Jeremy: But I don't think I can. Sorry.
[He looks at the flask. When he looks up again, Anna is gone.]
Mystic Falls High School
[Elena and Stefan are talking about John being her father.]
- Elena: John?! Is that even possible?
- Stefan: There is no proof, but he dated Isobel when she was a teenager and he was the one who brought her to your dad's office for the delivery.
- Elena: My whole life I've never liked this man. I...
- Stefan: Sorry, I'm sorry. I just...I wanted to tell you before Damon dropped it on you on some typically inappropriate way.
- Elena: No, I'm happy that you told me, I just...I really hope that it's not true. What I am supposed to do? Do I just...confront him and say "are you my biological father?"
- Stefan: I guess, when you're ready.
- Elena: I'm never gonna be ready. Stefan, I have enough problems with the family that I actually care about. Jeremy hates me, and why wouldn't he? My journal gave him every single reason to.
- Stefan: He's just hurt, he's confused.
- Elena: He's never going to forgive me for Vicki, for taking away his memories, for lying to him.
- Stefan: He's your brother, he'll forgive you. Just give him some time.
[Caroline is taking pictures with Matt before the Founders' Day Parade, in their Civil War costumes.]
- Bonnie: Say cheese!
- Caroline (to Matt): Oh wait! Hide your cast, it's not era-appropriate!
- Matt: Seriously?
- Caroline: Yes!
- Matt: Okay, fine.
[Bonnie takes the picture, Tyler arrives.]
- Caroline: I want one with Bonnie now.
- Tyler: Here, I can take it.
[Matt looks at him.]
- Matt: I'll be on the float.
[Tyler looks at Caroline.]
- Tyler: I said I was sorry!
- Caroline: You made out with his mother and then you beat him to a pulp. You're gonna have to do a little bit better than sorry.
[She looks at him and leaves.]
[Elena is running after Jeremy.]
- Elena: Jeremy! I was wondering where you were. You look great, and you guys did a really great job on the float.
- Jeremy: Go away, Elena.
- Elena: Jeremy, come on! Please! I don't want it to be like this between us.
- Jeremy: Why don't you have Damon erase my memory again? Then I could go back to being your in-the-dark little brother.
- Elena: Jer, please.
- Jeremy: Just don't! You can't fix this that easily; something like this doesn't just get fixed.
[He looks at her and leaves.]
[The floats are parading. Carol Lockwood commentates.]
- Mrs Lockwood: Let's give a big hand to the Mystic Fall's high school Marching Band!
[The marching band and the cheerleaders parade, everyone applauds and scream.]
- Mrs Lockwood: And for a little local history, Mr. Saltzman's students have recreated Virginia's Battle of Willow Creek.
[The float arrives in the street. Jeremy and Tyler are in it, they wave to the crowd and pretend to shoot at each other.]
- Mrs Lockwood: Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome our stunning Miss Mystic Falls Court and their handsome escorts.
[Elena, Stefan, Caroline and Matt, and the rest of the Mystic Falls Court and their escorts are on the float; they laugh and wave to the crowd.]
- Mrs Lockwood: This is Caroline Forbes, Miss Mystic Falls. Aren't they beautiful?
[Bonnie is in the crowd. She smiles and waves at Elena. Elena smiles and waves back to Bonnie. Damon walks in front of Bonnie and stops, smiles and waves to Elena. She rolls her eyes and looks away. She looks at Stefan waves to the rest of the crowd. Damon turns around and sees Bonnie.]
- Bonnie: What do you want?
- Damon: Just watching the parade.
[She begins to leave.]
- Damon: Where are you going?
- Bonnie: Away from you.
- Damon: I wanna say something to you.
- Bonnie: Just leave me alone!
- Damon: Thank you. The device that Emily spelled could have killed me. I don't take what you did lightly so...thank you.
- Bonnie: I did it for Elena.
- Damon: I know that, but I'm still very grateful. And...I owe you.
[They look at each other for a moment.]
- Damon: Enjoy the parade.
- Mrs Lockwood: Let's cheer for the Mystic Fall's high school football team. Alright! Let's show them our support, everybody!
[The float and the cheerleaders arrives.]
Grayson Gilbert's Office
[John is with Mayor Lockwood, he's preparing the device.]
- John: This is the key. Once inserted, the device will be activated. It will work only once, for an estimated time of 5 minutes.
- Mayor Lockwood: Yes, how does it work?
- John: It's a high-pitched frequency that humans can't hear. Any vampires within a five-block radius will be incapacitated, exposing them. At that time, the sheriff's deputies will inject them with vervain and bring them here, when we will finish them off.
- Mayor Lockwood: And you're certain they're attacking tonight?
- John: I have a source. One of the vampires from the tomb confirmed the attack.
[The vampires from the tomb are having a meeting. The leader is speaking and pointing at a map of the Town Square.]
- Vampire leader: Everybody listen up! The plan stays the same. We wait until the firework start; until then, we blend in. Stay a part of the celebration; they'll never see us coming.
Grayson Gilbert's Office
- John: They want revenge for what our ancestors did in 1864. It makes us their target.
[The leader is showing the other vampires a plan of the Mystic Fall's Town Square.]
- Vampire leader: This area here is the stage. This is where the Founding Families are gonna be. Any questions?
Grayson Gilbert's Office
- Mayor Lockwood: We're taking an enormous risk. We're talking about our families, John!
- Vampire leader: Anna? What are you doing here?
Grayson Gilbert's Office
- John: This is the only way to draw them out and kill them...all of them.
[Damon is standing alone. Elena arrives, and he looks at her. Elena has changed back into her modern clothes.]
- Damon: I like you better like this. The period look, it...didn't suit you.
- Elena: Is that an insult?
- Damon: Actually Elena, it is a compliment of the highest order.
- Elena: Look, I know Stefan is worried about our...friendship.
- Damon: Did he mention something to you too?
- Elena: No, did he mention something to you?
- Damon: No, nothing worth repeating.
- Elena: So, I think you should stop with the flirty little comments and that eye-thing that you do.
- Damon (smiling and doing the eye-thing): What eye thing?
- Elena: Don't make me regret being your friend okay?
[He seems hurt. Elena looks at Jeremy who's sitting alone. She goes towards Jeremy. Damon looks at them.]
- Elena: I don't believe that we can't fix this. I lied, I was wrong. But you're my brother, Jer, and I love you, and I have to fix it. So just tell me, what can I do?
- Jeremy: You go to hell, Elena.
[He gets up and leaves. Damon looks at him.]
[Jeremy is walking, and Damon appears walking behind him.]
- Damon (mocking Jeremy): "I have so many emotions, but I don't have any way to express them. Being a teenager is so hard!"
- Jeremy: You're a dick!
- Damon: You do not talk to me like that! I'm not your sister. And for now on, (Damon grabs Jeremy's arm) don't talk to your sister that way either.
- Jeremy: So, you're going to kill me just ‘cause I hurt Elena's feelings?
- Damon: Cut her some slack.
- Jeremy: She erased my memories.
- Damon: No, I did! She was protecting you.
- Jeremy: It wasn't her call to make.
[He tries to leave but Damon grabs his arm and pulls him back roughly.]
- Jeremy: Let go of me before I cause a scene.
- Damon: You'll be unconscious before you even got a word out.
- Stefan: Let him go.
[Damon releases him. Stefan puts himself between them and looks at Jeremy.]
- Stefan: Are you alright?
- Jeremy: Yeah.
- Stefan (looking at Damon): What my brother is trying to say is, don't blame Elena for this. Damon turned Vicki, I killed her. She was a threat to you, and she was a threat to your sister. I'm sorry that it happened, I wish that it hadn't.
[Damon looks at Stefan.]
- Jeremy: You shouldn't have made me forget...
- Damon: Good cop, bad cop. I like it.
- Stefan: What are you doing?
- Damon: He's being a punk.
- Stefan: Elena's relationship with her brother is none of your business. So stay out of it!
- Damon: Oh, there's only one "do-gooder" role available. My bad. I'm sorry.
- Stefan: Get over yourself. We both know you're not doing this for the right reasons.
- Damon: You see, there you go with that little jealousy act again. What are the right reasons, Stefan? Enlighten me, please!
- Stefan: Well, see Damon, it's only real when it comes from your desire to do the right thing for nothing in return, and I know that it is an entirely foreign concept to you. I completely understand that you wouldn't get it.
[He looks at him and leaves.]
[Sheriff Forbes is talking with John and Mayor Lockwood.]
- Sheriff Forbes: You want to use our town as bait? It's too dangerous, it's insane!
[She closes the door.]
- Mayor Lockwood: We've gone over the plans with all your deputies, they're all on board.
- Sheriff Forbes: You've gone behind my back?
- Mayor Lockwood: Yeah, because we knew this is exactly how you'd react.
- Sheriff Forbes: Our children are here.
- John: Liz, we need to do this. We have no choice; this is the reason for the Secret Council. Our founding fathers created the Secret Council for just this purpose!
[Long pause. They look at each other.]
- Sheriff Forbes: I'm the Sheriff, it's my call and I say no.
- John: Richard, let me speak to the Sheriff alone.
[He looks at them and leaves.]
- Sheriff Forbes: John, you're not thinking clearly, I'm not gonna change my mind about this.
[She turns her back and goes toward her desk. John hits her behind the head. She's unconscious. He removes her gun belt and handcuffs her to the radiator. He looks at her and leaves.]
[It's night, Damon is looking and walking around in the town square, when he runs into Anna.]
- Damon: You're still around?
- Anna: There's something you need to know. The vampires from the tomb are planning an attack tonight.
- Damon: How do you know this?
- Anna: I went to them. They think I'm with them but I'm not. They want the Founding Families dead.
- Damon: When is this supposed to happen?
- Anna: When the firework start.
- Damon: John Gilbert wants to use that invention on them.
- Anna: Then we can't be here!
- Damon: It doesn't work, it's been deactivated.
- Anna: Well, then a lot of people are gonna die.
- Damon: Where are they right now?
- Anna: They're already here, Damon.
[The tomb vampires are meeting in front of a building.]
- Vampire leader: Remember, we don't know which of them ingests vervain. It's not about the feed, it's about the kill. You know what to do.
[They walk into the crowd and disperse.]
[Damon is walking toward Alaric.]
- Damon: Ric!
- Alaric: Yeah?
- Damon: You keep those nifty little vampire darts in the car?
- Alaric: Yeah, why do you ask?
- Damon: Because this square is crawling with tomb vampires. I think we might need a stake or two.
- Alaric: Yeah, got it.
[Alaric leaves, Damon sees Stefan and Elena. He goes toward them and takes Elena's hand.]
- Elena: What are you doing?
- Damon: Saving your life. Fifteen words or less...Tomb vamps are here. Founding families are their target. (To Stefan) Get her out of here, now!
[Damon starts to leave.]
- Stefan: Wait, where are you going?
- Damon: That's more than fifteen words, Stefan.
- Elena: Wait, Jeremy is out here somewhere.
- Stefan: Let's go find him, come on!
[Tyler is at the pool table. Matt and Caroline are sitting at a table, they look at him.]
- Caroline: There was this time, freshman year, when Bonnie and I were in a fight and we swore that we would never talk again.
- Matt: Caroline, give it a rest.
[Mayor Lockwood arrives at the Mystic Grill. He goes toward Tyler.]
- Mayor Lockwood: What are you doing here? I told you to go home.
- Tyler: I decided not to.
- Mayor Lockwood: If I tell you to do something, you do it!
[He grabs Tyler's arm and begins to shout.]
- Tyler: Let go of me!
- Caroline: Mayor, is everything okay?
[Matt arrives too; the Mayor looks at them.]
- Mayor Lockwood: Please Tyler; I need you to go home, now. Take your friends with you.
- Matt: Why? What's going on?
- Mayor Lockwood: I can't explain. All of you need to get home, now. Please.
- Tyler: Yeah, okay.
[The Mayor gives him his car's keys.]
- Mayor Lockwood: Here, take my car, it's out back. Caroline, Matt go with him.
[They look at him and leave.]
[Jeremy is in front of the restrooms. Anna goes toward him.]
- Jeremy: Anna what are you doing here? My uncle could see you.
- Anna: I don't care about that. I needed to find you. Come here.
[They go in the restroom.]
[Mayor Lockwood is giving his speech.]
- Mayor Lockwood: For one hundred and fifty years, Mystic Falls has been the kind of town that everybody wants to call home: safe, prosperous, welcoming. And we have the Founders to thank for that. That's why I'd like to dedicate this evening's firework display to their legacy.
[Everyone applause, the tomb vampires on in the crowd, looking at the Mayor. He looks at one of the deputies.]
Grayson Gilbert's Office
[John is waiting for the signal. One of the deputies is with him.]
- John: Get in position.
[The deputy goes out. John goes toward the device and looks at it.]
- Mayor Lockwood: Enjoy the show!
[The firework starts. Mayor Lockwood and his wife start to leave.]
- Mayor Lockwood (to his wife): Stay close.
[Tomb vampires are following them. Bonnie runs into one of them.]
- Vampire leader: Excuse me, I'm sorry.
- Bonnie: I'm sorry.
[He leaves. She looks at him. She gets a vision of what he is and follows him.]
Grayson Gilbert's Office
[John is preparing the device, Damon arrives.]
- Damon: Do you have any idea what you've done?
- John: Yeah, as a matter of fact I do.
[Damon goes toward him, John activates the device. Damon falls, he grabs the sides of his head and screams.]
- Elena: Stefan, what's going on? What's happening?
- Stefan: My head!
- Elena: What?
- Stefan: My head!!
Grayson Gilbert's Office
[Damon is on the floor, holding his head and screaming. John prepares a syringe with vervain.]
[Anna and Jeremy are in the restrooms. Anna grabs her head and begins to scream.]
- Jeremy: Anna what's wrong? Anna!
- Anna: Please, make it stop!
[We see a succession of images: Stefan is holding his head in the Town Square, Damon is holding his head at Grayson Gilbert's office, Anna is in Jeremy's arms screaming in the restroom of the Grill. The tomb vampires' leader falls, and one of the deputies injects him vervain. John injects vervain to Damon.]
[Tyler is driving his father's car when he suddenly hears the device.]
- Tyler: What the hell is that?
- Caroline: What's the matter?
- Tyler: That noise!
- Matt: Wait, what noise?
[Tyler lets go of the wheel, grabs his head and begins to scream.]
- Caroline: Tyler! Tyler!
[He loses control of the car.]
- Matt: Dude, hey! Caroline, the wheel!
[She tries to grab the wheel, Tyler screams. The car crashes into a wall.]
[Stefan is on the floor, holding his head. Elena's with him. A deputy runs toward him but Alaric runs interference and hurriedly talks to him.]
- Alaric: Hey, I got this one. There's one over there. Take this, go! Go! Go!
[The deputy leaves. Alaric goes toward them and helps Stefan to get up. They go toward the stairs.]
- Elena: I don't know what happened, he just dropped.
- Alaric: Yeah, he's not the only one. The cops have gotten everyone who's gone down, injecting them with vervain.
- Elena: What?
[Long pause, they look at Stefan.]
- Elena: They're rounding up the vampires.
[Carol Lockwood is with her husband. He's on the floor.]
- Mrs Lockwood: Please help him, he just went down.
[The deputies inject him with vervain. Mayor Lockwood is unconscious and there is blood leaking out his ears.]
[Anna and Jeremy are still in the restrooms.]
- Anna: Ahhhhhhhh my head!
[She screams. One of the deputy enters.]
- Deputy (into the radio): I got one.
[They inject her with vervain, the other holds Jeremy.]
- Jeremy: Hey, what are you doing? What are you doing? Hey, leave her alone!
[The deputy takes her, the other stays with Jeremy.]
- Jeremy: Leave her alone! Anna!!!
Grayson Gilbert's Office
[The device is stopped. John takes everything back and goes in the basement. Damon is on the floor, unconscious. Deputies are bringing more vampires.]
- John: The device is done; the only thing keeping them down is vervain. We don't have much time, let's finish this.
[Damon begins to wake up; one of the Deputies is pouring gasoline everywhere. John begins to leave but Anna catches his leg. She's on the floor. He looks at her.]
- John: Anna.
[Damon turns his head and looks at them.]
- John (to the Deputy): You can head up; I'll take it from here.
[The Deputy leaves, Anna tries to get up, Damon is still looking at them. John takes a stake from his back.]
- Anna: Please...no!
[He stakes her, Damon looks at him. John pours more gasoline. He goes up the stairs and pours a trail of gasoline up them. He goes out of the basement, lights a match and throws it on the gasoline. A fire starts. Some of the vampires begin to burn. Damon looks at them.]
[Stefan is better, he's talking with Elena.]
- Elena: Are you okay?
- Stefan: It was like needles were piercing my skull and it just stopped.
- Alaric: I saw at least five vampires go down. They're taking them to your family's old building.
- Stefan: It's the Gilbert's device. It has to be.
- Elena: But how did he get it to work? Bonnie unspelled it.
- Alaric: Maybe she didn't.
- Elena: She did, we saw her do it!
- Stefan: No, no, no, he's right. Think about it. We asked Bonnie to deactivate a device that could protect people against vampires.
- Elena: So we could protect you.
- Stefan: And Damon. Vampires. Where is Damon?
- Alaric: I don't know. I haven't seen him since this started.
- Elena: Can you get my brother, take him home?
- Alaric: Of course.
- Elena: Let's go.
[Sheriff Forbes is still handcuffed to the radiator. Carol Lockwood arrives.]
- Mrs Lockwood: Liz, are you okay?
- Sheriff Forbes: There's a key in my belt...
- Mrs Lockwood: What's going on?!
- Sheriff Forbes: There's a key in my belt, I need you to get it.
[She takes the key.]
- Mrs Lockwood: I've been looking everywhere for you, something happened to Richard. They took him.
- Sheriff Forbes: Who took him?
- Mrs Lockwood: Your deputies. I don't understand, he's not a vampire!
[Sheriff Forbes opens her handcuffs and gets up.]
- Sheriff Forbes: Let's go!
Grayson Gilbert's Office
[The basement is on fire. Damon looks around him and sees the mayor.]
- Damon: Mayor. Is that you?
- Mayor Lockwood: What are you doing here?
- Damon: I'm a vampire. What's your excuse? No, really. The vervain didn't affect you, you're not a vampire, what the hell are you?
[The mayor scoots backwards to get away from Damon. He bumps into the tomb vampires' leader, who is waking.]
- Vampire leader: Mayor Lockwood!
[The vampire leader reaches an arm around Mayor Lockwood from behind and grabs his chin, pulls violently and snaps his neck. Damon seeing this slowly smiles.]
[Matt and Caroline are out of the car; an ambulance arrived, Tyler is on the ground, unconscious.]
- Matt: Hey, are you okay?
- Caroline: I'm fine, I'm fine.
- Matt: No, they need to check you out.
- Caroline: No, I'm fine, I'm fine. They're helping Tyler.
[The paramedics are examining Tyler. One of them opens one of Tyler's eyes, it flashes amber-gold before going back to brown.]
- Paramedic: What the hell?!
- Matt: What's wrong?
- Paramedic: His eyes!
[They look at him when suddenly, Tyler wakes up.]
- Tyler: What happened?
- Matt: Dude, don't scare me like that!
[Matt turns his head, Caroline is on the ground, unconscious.]
- Matt: Caroline! Guys, over here! Caroline, wake up!
[Elena and Stefan are walking when suddenly Stefan hears the fire.]
- Stefan: Wait, wait, wait, I can hear them. The building is on fire.
- Elena: What?
- Stefan: The building's on fire!
Grayson Gilbert's Office
[The building is still on fire. Damon tries to gets up, but a beam falls down in front of him.]
[Elena and Stefan go toward John, talking to him.]
- Elena: Where is Damon?
- John: With the rest of them, where he should be. It's over for Damon.
- Elena: You're crazy!
- John: Why? Because I'm doing what should have been done a hundred and forty five years ago? This is the right thing, Elena.
[Stefan is looking at the building. John looks at him.]
- John: Go ahead, you won't make it out. It'll save me the trouble of killing you myself.
[Stefan looks at Elena.]
- Stefan: You know the building well, is there another way in?
- Elena: Utility door, there's one around the side.
[He goes toward the building, Elena follows him but John catches her arm.]
- John: You take one more step and I'll alert those deputies that they missed a vampire.
- Elena: I'm asking you not to.
- John: That doesn't mean anything to me.
- Elena: As my father, it should.
[Long pause, they look at each other.]
- John: You know.
- Elena: I wasn't sure, now I am.
[She looks at him and goes toward the building.]
Grayson Gilbert's Office
[Stefan runs towards the emergency door but Bonnie arrives.]
- Bonnie: Hey, you can't go in there!
[Stefan opens the door.]
- Bonnie: The fire will take you out.
- Stefan: He's my brother, Bonnie!
[He goes into the building, he tries to open the basement's door but the doorknob is too hot. Bonnie is looking at the building when Elena arrives.]
- Elena: Stefan!
- Bonnie: Elena, you can't go in there!
- Elena: Bonnie, what are you doing?
- Bonnie: I'm sorry I lied to you.
[She catches Elena's arm, closes her eyes and begins to recite a spell.]
- Bonnie: Ex spiritum intacullum, in terrum incendium, fes matos salvis adisdum!
- Elena: Bonnie, I've got to get in there!
[Bonnie is still reciting the spell. In the building, Stefan can finally open the door but the fire is too large. Suddenly, the flames diminish, thanks to Bonnie's spell. Stefan goes into the basement and finds Damon.]
- Stefan: Damon! Come on, hurry!
[Stefan picks Damon up and vamp-runs out of the basement. Outside, Bonnie finishes her spell and looks at Elena.]
- Elena: Bonnie...Bonnie, what is it? Are they gonna be okay?
[Stefan and Damon come out of the building, Elena runs toward them.]
- Elena: Oh my god!
[Elena is standing alone, Stefan rejoins her.]
- Elena: The fire is out. The story is the building's old wiring is what caused it.
- Stefan: Did you see where Damon went?
- Elena: No, he just kind of disappeared.
- Stefan: Figures.
[She embraces him.]
- Elena: I'm so glad you're okay.
- Stefan: I try so hard...to hate him. I guess it's just pointless.
- Elena: You care about him, so do I. But I love you Stefan, and I know that you are worried about that.
- Stefan: I just...you know, I know my brother.
- Elena: But I love you, Stefan.
- Stefan: I know the trouble he can cause.
[She takes his face in her hands.]
- Elena: I love you Stefan, you!
[They look at each other and she kisses him.]
- Elena: You have nothing to worry about, okay?
[She kisses him again.]
- Elena: Jenna called, Jeremy's home, I'm just gonna run over to the school to pick up my dress, my clothes and the rest of my stuff and then I'll check on him.
[Jeremy is on his bed; he looks at the flask, gets up and puts it in his drawer. He turns his head: Damon is here.]
- Jeremy: What are you doing here?
- Damon: Anna's dead.
- Jeremy: I figured that once they took her away.
- Damon: I know you cared about her.
- Jeremy: Yeah, I did.
- Damon: I saw her killed. I was watching and all I could think about was...I wanted to help her, but I couldn't.
- Jeremy: Why are you telling me all this?
- Damon: I took away your suffering once before. I can do it again, but it's your choice.
- Jeremy: Look, I know you think you took it away, but it's still there. Even if I can't remember why. I still feel empty, and alone, and making me forget won't fix it. It won't fix what's really wrong.
- Damon: What I did to Vicki was wrong. I'm sorry for my part.
- Jeremy: Anna said that vampires don't have to feel pain; that they could turn it off, if they shut out their humanity.
- Damon: It's very true.
- Jeremy: Is it easier that way?
- Damon: Is what easier?
- Jeremy: Life.
- Damon: Life sucks either way, Jeremy. But, at least if you're a vampire, you don't have to feel bad about it if you don't want to.
- Jeremy: Is that what you did?
- Damon: I did it for a...I did it for a very long time and life was a lot easier.
[He looks at Jeremy and leaves.]
Mystic Falls Hospital
[Matt is sitting alone in the hallway, Tyler joins him.]
- Tyler: Hey man. I'm so sorry. Look, I don't even know what happened.
- Matt: It's okay man. She'll be alright.
[Tyler sits down with him, Sheriff Forbes arrives. Matt gets up.]
- Matt: What's happening? Is she alright?
- Sheriff Forbes: There was some internal bleeding; they're taking her into surgery.
- Matt: What else did they say? Is she gonna be okay?
- Sheriff Forbes: They're gonna do everything they can.
[He looks at her and sits down.]
- Sheriff Forbes: Tyler, have you talked to your mom?
- Tyler: I left her a message telling her I was here.
- Sheriff Forbes: You need to call her.
- Tyler: What is it?
- Sheriff Forbes: ...It's your dad.
[Jeremy is in the bathroom, looking in the mirror. He has the flask of Anna's blood in his hand. He opens it and drinks the blood. He finds Elena's pain pills from her car accident and pours them on the counter. He picks one up, preparing to take it.]
[Stefan goes out, Bonnie arrives.]
- Stefan: Oh, hey.
- Bonnie: Hey.
- Stefan: You...you just missed Elena.
- Bonnie: I was looking for you actually.
- Stefan: Oh.
- Bonnie: Elena is my best friend, and because she loves you, I couldn't let you or Damon die in that fire.
- Stefan: I'm very grateful Bonnie, I hope you know that.
- Bonnie: I do...but I hope you know that things have to change. Damon has to change.
- Stefan: We both want the same thing.
- Bonnie: We both want to protect the people we care about. The difference is, for you, Damon is one of them. You saw what I was able to do tonight. I know who I am now, and if Damon spills so much as one drop of innocent blood, I'll take him down. Even if I have to take you with him.
- Stefan: Let's hope it doesn't come to that.
- Bonnie: Let's hope it doesn't.
[Damon goes out of the house. Elena arrives, she's holding her dress.]
- Elena: What are you doing here?
- Damon: Failed and feeble attempt at doing the right thing.
- Elena: Which was...?
- Damon: It's not important. Let me take this for you.
[He takes the dress and her bag, and sets it down.]
- Elena: Thank you.
- Damon: You know, I came to this town wanting to destroy it. Tonight, I found myself wanting to protect it. How does that happen? I'm not a hero, Elena. I don't do good. It's not in me.
- Elena: Maybe it is.
- Damon: Nah, it's reserved for my brother, and you...and Bonnie...who, even though she has every reason to hate me, still helped Stefan save me.
- Elena: Why do you sound so surprised?
- Damon: Because she did it for you. Which means that somewhere along the way, you decided that I was worth saving. And I wanted to thank you for that.
- Elena: You're welcome.
[He kisses her on the cheek; they look at each other. He hesitates and then he kisses her she pulls away slightly and then Damon grabs "Elena" and they kiss passionately for a few seconds until Jenna opens the door and interrupts them. They stop and Damon tries to hide himself.]
- Elena: Hi...
- Jenna: It's late, you should probably come inside.
[She looks at Damon, grabs her dress and goes into the house. Jenna closes the door.]
- Jenna: What are you doing?
- Elena: I don't want to talk about it.
[Outside, Damon looks at the house, touches his lips and leaves.]
[Jeremy is in the bathroom, he's taken all the pills. He goes into his bedroom, lays on the bed and passes out.]
[John is in the kitchen, he opens the fridge and when he closes it, Elena is there.]
- John: You scared me.
- Elena: Sorry.
- John: You know...I first met Isobel when I was a teenager. I fell in love with her instantly, although I'm pretty sure she never loved me. She was special. A part of why I hate the vampires so much is because of what she became, how it ruined her. And I never would have sent her to Damon had I known she wanted to turn.
[She looks at him while she puts away dishes.]
- John: It's my fault. I'm telling you this because I hoped maybe you'd understand.
- Elena: Thank you.
- John: Can I help?
[She looks at his ring.]
- Elena: Sure.
[She cuts his fingers off of the hand with the Gilbert ring with the knife she was putting away, and pushes him against the sink. John screams in pain.]
- John: Katherine?!
[Her eyes change and become vampiric.]
- Katherine: Hello, John. Goodbye, John.
[She stabs him.]
[Outside, Elena is walking towards the front door. She's on the phone with Stefan.]
- Elena: I looked everywhere. Yeah, someone definitely took my stuff. I'm just gonna check on Jeremy before I go to the hospital. Can you meet me there? Okay. I love you Stefan.
[She enters the house and goes to the bottom of the staircase.]
- Elena: (Shouting up the stairs.) Jeremy?! Are you up?
[She hears a noise coming from the kitchen and starts walking towards it.]