|This article is about an episode. You may be looking for Founders' Day Celebration, an event seen in the episode.|
|“||Why wouldn't I be here? Bonnie deactivated the Gilbert invention, Isobel is gone and it's Founders' Day! I'm here to eat cotton candy and steal your girl.||”|
— Damon Salvatore to Stefan Salvatore
THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING, WITH AN ENDING THAT WILL LEAVE YOU HANGING — Founder's Day has finally arrived, and everyone is busy with last-minute preparations for floats and fireworks for the 150th Founder's Day Celebration. Stefan is uncomfortable with Damon's new attitude toward Elena, but Elena is more concerned about repairing her relationship with Jeremy. Jeremy is worried about Anna, but not sure he's on board with her latest plan for the future. While Caroline is enjoying her day as Queen of the celebration, she also tries to help Matt and Tyler get their friendship back on track. Finally, although Damon and Alaric did their best to stop him, John Gilbert sets a plan in motion that brings Founder's Day to an end amid chaos, destruction and death.
- Antagonists: John Gilbert, Richard Lockwood and Katherine Pierce.
- This episode marks the first modern day appearance of Katherine, who appears at the end of the episode and finishes Season One by cutting off John's fingers and stabbing him in the stomach.
- Katherine is mistaken for Elena by both Damon and Jenna.
- Mirror Scenes - Near the end of the episode, John closes the fridge and Katherine appears behind it, scaring him. Something like this happens in the later episode, Daddy Issues, when Elena closes the fridge and John appears, scaring her.
- The Gilbert building was burned down in this episode when John Gilbert used it as the present-day version of Fell's Church, with the intention of killing all of the rounded up vampires in the fire.
- This episode takes place in late February.
- The fire trucks of the Mystic Falls Fire Department are painted white instead of red.
- Richard Lockwood is killed in this episode, and this is his last appearance in the series and as Mayor. He has his neck snapped by another vampire named Charlie.
- John also stakes and kills Anna in this episode.
- This is the final episode of the third chapter of Season One, The Lineage Chapter.
- In Season 2, episode - Know Thy Enemy, it's revealed by both John and Isobel, that the reason behind their plan to burn the Tomb vampires is so that Klaus wouldn't know about Elena's existence.
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- Anna - Staked; killed by John Gilbert.
- Richard Lockwood - Broken neck; killed by Charlie.
- Charlie - killed by John Gilbert (indirectly caused by the fire he set)
- Tomb Vampires - killed by John Gilbert (indirectly caused by the fire he set)
- This is the only official season finale that John appears in.
- All main characters appear in this episode.
- This episodes introduces the Season Two main cast which is: Elena Gilbert, Katherine Pierce, Stefan Salvatore, Damon Salvatore, Jeremy Gilbert, Caroline Forbes, Alaric Saltzman, Tyler Lockwood, Bonnie Bennett, Matt Donovan and Jenna Sommers.
- This episode marks the final appearance of a 'living' Anna.
- It marks the last appearance of Robert Pralgo as Richard Lockwood, (except in photographs in later episodes.)
- This episode aired on Candice Accola's 23rd birthday.
- This is first season finale to feature Elena, Stefan, Damon, Jeremy, Caroline, Bonnie, Matt, Tyler, Jenna, Alaric, Katherine, Anna, John, Richard, Carol and Elizabeth.
- This is only season finale to feature Richard Lockwood and John Gilbert.
- First Modern Day Appearance of Katherine Pierce.
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 3.47 million viewers in the USA, which was 0.16 million more than the previous episode.
- Although the whole building was in flames, there was a Big Damn Fire Exit for Stefan to go inside and rescue Damon - thanks to Bonnie!
- Damon: "It's Founder's Day. I'm here to eat cotton candy and steal your girl."
- Tyler: "I said I was sorry."
- Caroline: "You made out with his mother and then you beat him to a pulp. You're gonna have to do a little better than "I'm sorry."
- Elena: "I think you should stop with the flirty little comments and the eye-thing you do."
- Damon: "What eye-thing?"
- Elena: "Don't make me regret being your friend, okay?"
- Elena: "I'm asking you not to."
- John: "That doesn't mean anything to me."
- Elena: "As my father, it should."
- John: You know?
- Mayor Lockwood: "What are you doing here?"
- Damon: "I'm a vampire. What's your excuse? The vervain didn't effect you. You're not a vampire. What the hell are you?"
- Bonnie: "Elena is my best friend, and because she loves you, I couldn't let you or Damon die in that fire."
- Stefan: "I'm very grateful, Bonnie, I hope you know that."
- Bonnie: "I do, but I hope you know that things have to change. Damon has to change."
- Stefan: "We both want the same thing."
- Bonnie: "We both want to protect the people we care about. The difference is for you, Damon is one of them. You saw what I was able to do tonight. I know who I am now. If Damon spills so much as one drop of innocent blood, I'll take him down—- even if I have to take you with him."
- Jeremy: "Even I can't remember why, I still feel empty, alone. Making me forget won't fix it."
- Damon: "Life sucks either way, Jeremy. At least if you're a vampire, you don't have to feel bad about it if you don't want to."
- Damon: "I came to this town wanting to destroy it, and tonight I found myself trying to protect it. How's that happen?"
- Damon: "I'm not a hero, Elena. I don't do good. It's not in me."
- Katherine: "Maybe it is."
- Damon: "Somewhere along the way, you decided I was worth saving. I wanted to thank you for that."
- Katherine: "You're welcome."
- Katherine: "Hello, John. Goodbye, John."
- (She stabs John with a large knife)