Salvatore Boarding House
[Damon is tied to a chair. A fireplace stoker is in his chest. His ring is on the floor. Mason is watching him.]
- Damon: Oh, you got to be kidding me.
- Mason: Hurts, doesn't it?
- Damon: Oh, Stefan.
- Damon: Low blow, Stefan. Low blow.
- Stefan: What the hell happened to you?
- Damon: Whatever twisted ripper game this is, leave me out of it.
- Stefan: I didn't do this.
- Damon: Quit screwing around!
- Stefan: I didn't.
[He checks the chains.]
- Stefan: It's pretty messed up though, isn't it?
- Damon: Yep.
[Stefan removes the iron stick. Damon screams. Stefan begins to remove the chains but stops and leaves. Mason is watching them but Damon can't see him.]
- Damon: Yeah, not to worry. I'll just untangle myself.
[Mason opens the curtains so the sunlight can enter the room. Damon's skin burns. He screams.]
[A group of volunteers are preparing the town for the Night of Illuminations. Some are hanging lanterns from the trees. Carol Lockwood is making a speech for the volunteers and the citizens.]
- Carol: As a long-time member of the Historical Society, I am especially proud to be kicking off this day of festivities. Thank you, volunteers. Tonight, we turn off our town's lights and flare up our lanterns in honor of the night of illumination started by our founders 150 years ago. Here's founding family member Tobias Fell with a history lesson.
[Everyone applause. Alaric and Jeremy are listening to the speech.]
- Jeremy: What are we doing here?
- Alaric: Tobias Fell is the head of the history department. I didn't have a choice.
- Jeremy: All right, that explains what you're doing here.
- Alaric: Well, I'm the one who can fail you if you don't help me out.
[Elena rejoins them.]
- Elena: Hey, sorry I'm late. What did I miss?
[Anna is standing behind Jeremy but only Jeremy can see her.]
- Anna: Just a bunch of historical lies.
- Jeremy: You didn't miss anything.
[Tobias Fell is giving his speech.]
- Tobias: The first illumination was held in celebration with the newfound prosperity that Mystic Falls enjoyed after the war.
- Anna: After the founders stole from all the vampires.
[Jeremy laughs. Elena looks at him.]
- Elena: What's so funny?
[Jeremy looks at the stage. Elena turns her head to look too. Anna keeps commenting on the speech.]
- Tobias: The founders, they placed lanterns over the doors to indicate that it was safe for their neighbors to come outside again.
- Anna: Safe from the vampires.
[Jeremy smiles. Anna smiles too, looks at him and takes his hand.]
- Tobias: That night was an opportunity for the community of Mystic Falls to come together, a chance to strengthen ties with neighbors, business owners, and the...
[Caroline is helping Bonnie to hang lanterns from the trees.]
- Caroline: So when you did the spell to send Vicki away, did that get rid of Anna, too?
- Bonnie: I wish. All I did was block the magic that was helping Vicki get a physical foothold here. Jeremy's still got a direct line to the other side, and as long as he wants to see Anna and she wants to see him, she's still here.
- Caroline: Okay, you don't think I can actually resist commenting on that.
- Bonnie: There. You commented.
- Caroline: Bonnie...
- Bonnie: What do you want me to say, Caroline? I went against the balance of nature when I brought Jeremy back to life, and now I'm paying the consequences.
- Caroline: Well, I want you to say you're not okay with it.
- Bonnie: I'm a thousand times not okay with it. I just don't know what to do about it.
[Damon pulls up near them them in his car.]
- Damon: Greetings, blondie. Witchy. I think you got your voodoo wires all crossed when you got rid of Vicki Donovan.
- Bonnie: What do you mean, why?
- Damon: Because I'm pretty sure I just got spit-roasted by Mason Lockwood's ghost.
- Bonnie: What?
- Caroline: And why would you think that?
- Damon: Maybe because he chained me to a chair and shoved a hot poker in my chest. Let's just say I'm having déjà vu.
[Caroline looks at Bonnie.]
- Caroline: I thought you said that ghosts couldn't physically interact with people.
- Bonnie: They can't.
- Damon: Yeah, well, I don't have time for a vengeful Lockwood. When I kill someone, they're supposed to stay dead. Whatever you screwed up, fix it.
[He drives away fast with his tires squealing. Matt is on the other side of the road, looking at them.]
[Jeremy, Elena and Alaric are sitting outside the Mystic Grill. Stefan's journals are on the table.]
- Elena: Hey, Jer, I need you to help me with something.
- Jeremy: What's up?
- Elena: I've been going through Stefan's old journals. Every single time that he's gone off the rails in the past, his best friend Lexi's been the one to bring him back.
- Alaric: So where is she now that we need her?
- Jeremy: She's dead.
[He looks at Elena.]
- Jeremy: And you want me to try to reach her, don't you?
- Elena: I thought if I knew how she did it, maybe I could help him.
- Jeremy: I don't even know if she's on the other side.
- Elena: Is that what it's called?
- Jeremy: That's what Anna calls it. There's not like an official brochure or anything.
- Alaric: So what is it, like some sort of supernatural purgatory?
- Jeremy: Well, Anna said it's like being here with all of us, only we can't see her or hear her. And she can't interact with anyone. She's all alone.
[Anna appears in the empty seat.]
- Alaric: Vicki could interact. She blew up my car.
- Jeremy: Vicki had help from a witch on the other side. Anna...She's doing this all by herself.
- Alaric: I'm just saying, maybe we learned our lesson about summoning dead people.
[Matt is talking with Caroline and Bonnie.]
- Matt: I haven't seen Vicki, I swear. I sent her back like you told me to.
- Bonnie: Are you sure? Because she has just as much reason to haunt Damon as Mason Lockwood does.
- Matt: She's gone, Bonnie. If she was here, I'd know it.
- Caroline: Why do you think it's Vicki and not Mason?
- Bonnie: Because if any ghost other than Vicki Donovan has a physical foothold on our side, then that means Damon's right and something has gone really, really wrong.
- Matt: I've had enough of this ghost stuff to last forever. So you guys can leave me out of this one.
- Caroline: I feel so sad for him. It took a lot for him to send his sister away.
- Bonnie: Yeah.
- Caroline: So much strength as a man.
- Bonnie: I've got a ghost problem to deal with, Caroline. Save the Jeremy lecture for later.
[She grabs her bag on the ground but when she pulls it up the strap comes off and it falls open. Her grimoire slides out of it. When she's about to pick it up it opens by itself.]
- Caroline: Okay, did your grimoire just...
- Bonnie: I think so.
[She takes the grimoire to read the open page.]
- Caroline: Okay, please tell me that's a recipe for witch cookies.
- Bonnie: It's a manifestation spell. It's used to reveal veiled matter.
- Caroline: What's veiled matter?
- Bonnie: Ghosts.
- Elena: Do you think it's even possible to contact Lexi?
- Jeremy: I don't know. I didn't have an emotional connection with her. I never even met her.
- Alaric: Can we just drop it, please?
- Elena: No, I can't drop it, Ric. I don't know what else to do.
- Alaric: Don't you think we have a few too many dead vampires in our past to be sitting here thinking of them watching us?
- Anna: I don't think all supernatural spirits go to the other side. I think some of them find peace.
[Jeremy looks at her but all that Elena and Alaric can see are an empty chair.]
- Elena: Is Anna here right now?
- Anna: Don't tell her I'm here. She won't like it.
- Jeremy: No, no. I'm going to go, uh, check my work schedule.
[He gets up and leaves. Stefan arrives and sits down in Jeremy's seat.]
- Stefan: Hey, guys. Who forgot to invite me to the family summit?
[He sees the journals and takes one and looks through it.]
- Stefan: Hmm? Wow. All these words. I forgot how much I used to care.
- Elena: I didn't.
- Stefan: You know, Elena, it's probably best you not torture yourself with memories from the past. It's best we both just move on and accept things as they are.
- Alaric: You don't have to be here, Stefan.
- Stefan: You know what, Alaric, you're right. I don't. But Elena's here, and I look out for Elena. Besides, there's going to be people everywhere tonight. So there's going to be lots to eat.
[Elena looks at him, shocked but he laughs.]
- Stefan: I'm kidding, I'm kidding. Loosen up.
[He gets up and leaves. Elena looks at Alaric.]
- Elena: I can't drop it, Ric.
Old Witch House
[Bonnie and Caroline are in the abandoned house and enter a room.]
- Caroline: So this is where you brought Jeremy back to life?
- Bonnie: Yeah. Sorry, I know it's creepy, but we needed a private place around here to do the spell.
- Caroline: Hmm. There's no chance it's haunted by the hundred dead witches who were horrifically burned to death in this very spot, is there?
- Bonnie: They're not here anymore. And they made it clear they were never coming back.
- Caroline: Right. You pinkie swear?
[Jeremy enters the restrooms. Anna enters with him.]
- Anna: What's wrong?
- Jeremy: Why did you tell me to lie?
- Anna: Elena is Bonnie's best friend. She won't like what's going on between us.
- Jeremy: What is going on between us? I mean, how are we able to touch? Vicki had to use magic to do that.
- Anna: I don't know. Honestly, I have no idea.
- Jeremy: This witch on the other side that gave Vicki her foothold, is she helping you now?
- Anna: What? No! I'm all alone, Jeremy, I told you that.
- Jeremy: Swear to me.
- Anna: I swear. I'm not any danger to you or anybody, I promise. Hey. I need you to believe me.
[She grabs his hand.]
- Jeremy: I shouldn't even be talking to you. This is not okay.
[He lets go her hands and walks to the mirror.]
- Anna: Then send me away. I'm only here because you want to be with me as much as I want to be with you. Send me away, Jeremy. It's that easy.
- Jeremy: I don't know why this is happening or when it's going to stop. But before it's done...I have to do this.
[He kisses her.]
Old Witch House
[Caroline is lighting candles.]
- Caroline: Ready? Do you need me to do...
[Bonnie is already casting the spell.]
- Caroline: Right. Okay.
[Bonnie is still casting the spell. A breeze blows through the room.]
[Alaric and Elena are inside.]
- Alaric: I'll grab Jeremy.
- Elena: I'll be right back.
[She goes toward the restrooms. Damon walks up alongside Alaric.]
- Alaric: You know, I've had enough vampires today, thanks.
- Damon: Oh, come on. Have a drink with me. We've got trouble.
- Alaric: No, you've got trouble. See, we're not a team. You tried to kill me. All right? We're not friends. I don't like you anymore.
- Damon: Ah! But remember back when you liked me and we conspired to kill Uncle werewolf Mason Lockwood?
- Alaric: Yeah, and?
- Damon: I think he's still a little pissed.
Old Witch House
[Bonnie is still casting the spell. There's wind everywhere in the room. Everything moves.]
- Caroline: Bonnie, I don't like this. Bonnie...
[Suddenly someone grabs Bonnie's hands. It's her grandmother.]
- Caroline: Oh, my God. Is that your...?
- Bonnie: Grams.
[Elena enters the restrooms and sees Jeremy and Anna kissing.]
- Elena: Anna?
[Anna looks surprised.]
[Stefan is walking down a street and sees Lexi's reflection in a car window. He turns around and she's standing before him.]
- Stefan: Lexi!
[Damon and Alaric are at the bar. Mason arrives. They both can see him.]
- Alaric: Mason.
- Mason: God, I miss whiskey.
[He takes a drink from a glass and then smashes it on Damon's forehead. Damon then looks at Alaric.]
- Damon: Told ya.
[Stefan is with Lexi.]
- Lexi: Hi!
- Stefan: You're dead.
- Lexi: Well, technically, so are you.
- Stefan: Then how the hell can I see...
- Lexi: See me? Yeah, I have no idea. And I have no idea how long it's going to last, so let's get right to the point. You're off the rails. Big time.
- Stefan: Look, I don't know how you're here, but you need to leave me alone, okay?
[Stefan starts to move away but Lexi grabs his arm and stops him.]
- Lexi: Now what kind of a friend would I be if I didn't help you out of this mess you're in?
- Stefan: I don't want your help.
- Lexi: You know, you say that every time. "I don't want your help. I don't want to get better. Leave me alone."
- Stefan: Well, maybe you should listen this time.
- Lexi: Or maybe I should do this.
[She slams his head against a car window. Stefan falls on the ground, unconscious.]
Old Witch House
[Bonnie is looking at her grandmother. She's crying.]
- Bonnie: I can't believe you're here!
- Grams: Now stop your crying, we don't have time for tears.
[She looks at Caroline.]
- Grams: Nice to see you again, Caroline.
- Caroline: Hi, Miss Sheila.
[Sheila looks back at Bonnie.]
- Grams: A fine mess you've made, honey. The witches told you there'd be consequences to bringing Jeremy back and you did it anyway.
- Bonnie: I didn't have a choice. I love him and I...I couldn't just let him go.
- Grams: I understand. But you cracked open the door to the other side. There's an old witch over here. She took advantage of it. She took advantage of you, honey. When you did that spell to send Vicki Donovan away, she wedged the door wide open, giving a free pass to anybody with unfinished business.
- Bonnie: How do you know this?
- Grams: Witches talk. Even on the other side. Who do you think makes all the rules?
- Bonnie: What does the witch want?
- Grams: That's Original vampire business, not yours. I don't want you getting in the middle of that. I'm here because you upset the balance of nature. And it's your duty to set it right. You need to close that door.
[Elena is in the restrooms with Jeremy and Anna. She's on the phone with Caroline.]
- Elena: How do we do that?
- Caroline: Apparently the old witch can draw power from this side because of her talisman.
- Elena: Talisman...My necklace?
- Caroline: It's some ju-ju power source. And I know you're not going to like this, but Bonnie needs to destroy it.
- Elena: I just walked in on Jeremy kissing the reason I'm completely okay with that.
- Caroline: What?! Are you kidding?
- Elena: I wish. Look, I don't have the necklace. Damon has it somewhere. Text him. I'll call you right back.
[She hangs up and looks at Anna.]
- Jeremy: Elena...
- Elena: You need to disappear or evaporate or whatever it is that you ghosts do.
- Jeremy: Hey, it's not her fault.
- Elena: You're right, it's yours.
- Elena: How did this happen?
- Jeremy: I don't know. Okay? I don't know. It just...it did. Elena, please. You can't tell Bonnie.
- Elena: Don't worry. I'm going to let you do that. Right after I help her send the ghosts away.
[She leaves. Outside the restrooms she runs into Lexi. Elena is surprised.]
- Lexi: Looks like today was a good day to be thinking about me, Elena.
- Elena: Lexi?
- Lexi: Mm-hmm. Come with me.
- Elena: Where?
- Lexi: Ripper detox 101. Crash course.
[She takes her by the wrist.]
- Elena: I...
- Lexi: I'm sorry, did you not just say how desperate you were for my help in saving Stefan's life?
[Elena turns her head and looks at the restrooms doors and then looks back at Lexi.]
- Elena: Let's go.
[She leaves with Lexi.]
[Damon is sending a text.]
- Damon: I am never going to hear the end of that damn necklace.
[Mason is still there, drinking from a shot glass.]
- Mason: One of you will pay for this, right? Cheers.
[He downs the shot.]
- Damon: Let's get to it. I killed you. You want revenge. Get in line.
- Mason: Actually, I want an apology.
- Alaric: Good luck with that.
- Damon: Don't you have a family to haunt? You know your nephew has turned into a mindless hybrid Minion.
- Mason: That's why I'm here. To help Tyler.
- Damon: Well, sorry to break it to you, buddy, but Tyler can't be helped. At least not while Klaus is alive. Which is, like, always.
- Mason: Not necessarily. Not if you found a weapon that could kill him.
- Damon: There is no weapon that...What do you know?
- Mason: I know you need to apologize.
- Damon: You got to be kidding me.
- Alaric: Are you incapable of remorse? Just apologize!
- Damon: You're right. I didn't have to kill you. I do a lot of things I don't have to do.
- Mason: That's good enough.
[He gets up.]
- Mason: Meet me at the old Lockwood cellar. Bring a shovel. [He looks at Alaric then back to Damon.] Come alone.
- Damon: What, you're going to bury me alive?
- Mason: Don't tempt me.
[He leaves. Damon looks at Alaric.]
[Stefan is tied to a chair in the basement cell sleeping with his head bowed. Elena and Lexi are looking at him.]
- Lexi: Klaus really did a number on him, huh?
- Elena: He compelled him to turn off his humanity.
- Lexi: Well, we're just going to have to convince him to turn it back on. I have to warn you, it's not going to be pretty.
- Elena: I can handle it.
[Lexi kicks Stefan.]
- Lexi: Wake up, sleepyhead.
[Stefan wakes up.]
- Lexi: How you feelin'?
[He looks at the chair and the chains and struggles with the restraints.]
- Stefan: What is this? Let me out of here!
- Lexi: Shh. Inside voices, please. I'm trying to get inside your head.
- Stefan: Elena. Get rid of her, please.
- Elena: No.
- Lexi: First step, drying him out. Starve away the blood lust. Strip away the temptation.
- Stefan: This isn't going to work, Lexi. You can't do this.
- Lexi: You heard the not pretty part?
- Elena: I heard you.
[Lexi leans in front of him and looks Stefan in the eyes.]
- Stefan: What are you doing?
[He suddenly starts growling in pain. His arms and hands start to desiccate.]
- Stefan: What are you doing, Lexi?!
- Lexi: Doing what I do best, sweetness. I'm saving your life.
[From the outside, Stefan's skin looks fine, free of any desiccation.]
Old Lockwood Cellar
[It's nighttime. Mason is lighting a lantern. Damon arrives with a shovel.]
- Mason: I'm surprised you showed.
- Damon: You put a snag in my only other Klaus lead. So I'd say I'm highly motivated.
[Mason rises and hands Damon one of the two lanterns.]
- Mason: Mikael? Yeah. That didn't turn out so great, did it?
- Damon: How do you know so much?
- Mason: There's not much to do on the other side but sit around and watch other people screw things up.
- Damon: What are we looking for?
- Mason: There's an old Lockwood family legend about a weapon that can kill an Original vampire. Like the rest of their secrets, they kept it buried.
[He tries to break a wall with the shovel but it doesn't work.]
- Damon: Oh, come on, give me the thing. Move.
[He takes the shovel and uses his vampire strength to break the wall. Soon he's broken a hole in it and they stick their heads and the lantern through to see what's on the other side.]
- Mason: Go for it.
- Damon: You first.
- Mason: What, you think I'm leading you into a trap?
- Damon: The thought crossed my mind.
[Mason enters first. Damon follows him.]
[Stefan is wild.]
- Stefan: I'm starving! I'm starving! I'm starving! Let me out! Let me out. Please let me out.
- Elena: What's happening?
- Lexi: He's hallucinating. That's three months without any blood.
- Stefan: Let me out!
- Lexi: Now he's at nine months.
[Stefan looks worse and worse.]
- Lexi: Two years...Five.
- Stefan: Did I ever tell you how glad I am that you're dead?
- Lexi: Oh. I missed you, too, friend.
[Elena's phone rings. She goes outside the cell.]
- Elena: Hello?
- Caroline: So the necklace isn't where Damon said it would be and now we can't reach Damon.
- Elena: Listen, I need you to get Bonnie to hold off on sending the ghosts back.
- Caroline: What?! But you said you were in full support of getting rid of them.
- Elena: I was. I am. Look, Lexi's here and she's helping with Stefan.
- Caroline: Okay, let's just find it first and then we'll choose between boyfriend ghost dramas.
Salvatore Boarding House
[Caroline hangs up. Bonnie looks at her.]
- Bonnie: What are you talking about?
- Caroline: Um...Lexi's back, so Elena wants us to hold off on destroying the necklace.
- Bonnie: You said boyfriend dramas. Plural. What is it, Caroline?
- Caroline: Elena caught Jeremy kissing Anna.
- Bonnie: What?
- Caroline: I'm sorry.
- Bonnie: He kissed her?
- Caroline: She's got a foothold now, so she probably thinks that she's here to stay. But you and I, Bonnie, we're going to find that necklace. Okay? Okay.
[It's the Illuminations Night. There's people everywhere. Jeremy is walking through the crowd looking for Anna.]
- Jeremy: Anna! Anna!
[He runs into Frederick, the tomb vampire.]
- Jeremy: Sorry. Hey, man sorry about that.
[He continues searching for Anna.]
- Frederick: No problem, buddy.
[Carol joins Alaric.]
- Carol: Have you seen Tobias Fell? He's supposed to do the lighting ceremony.
- Alaric: No.
[Frederick wanders over to Anna.]
- Frederick: Well, well.
- Anna: Frederick?
- Frederick: If it isn't Pearl's daughter. Little Annabelle.
[Carol begins her speech.]
- Carol: Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Mr. Fell seems to have been detained, so the history department's very own Mr. Saltzman has agreed to fill in.
[Everyone applauds. Alaric goes toward the stage. Jeremy calls Anna. She turns her head.]
- Frederick: Still hanging around the Gilbert kid, huh? I guess you forgot the fact that his family killed you and your mother.
- Jeremy: There you are. Is everything all right?
- Frederick: Ask your ancestors.
- Anna: What are you doing here, Frederick?
[Two men join him.]
- Frederick: Well, it's a Founders' celebration. And we've...
[He looks at the two men.]
- Frederick: We got some unfinished business with the Founding Families.
[Alaric begins his speech.]
- Alaric: On behalf of Mystic Falls High School Historical Society, let's light 'em up!
[The lanterns light up. There's applause. Suddenly there's a scream and Tobias Fell is hanging from a tree, dead. Anna looks at Frederick. He smiles.]
[Stefan is sweaty and panting.]
- Stefan: Elena, Elena. I'm hurting. Please help me.
- Lexi: Don't listen. Shut him out.
- Elena: I am helping you, Stefan.
- Stefan: I'll do anything. I'll change. I promise.
- Lexi: It's a lie. He'll say anything right now.
- Stefan: Elena, I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Just make it stop. Please, just make it stop.
- Lexi: You have to separate yourself from your emotions. Don't let him play on them.
- Stefan: Hey, look at me. Look at me.
[Elena looks at him.]
- Stefan: Elena. I love you, okay? I love you. I love you so much. I love you so much, Elena.
- Elena: I'm sorry, Stefan, I just don't believe you.
[Stefan's mood changes.]
- Stefan: You know what? I don't want your help, anyway. I wish I'd never met you. Every single moment that I've spent with you has been a complete and total waste.
- Lexi: You see that? That's the ripper talking. Once he's weak enough, you have to cause him pain. Make him feel things. Anger, rage, anything. You have to make him see past the blood.
[She drives a stake through his body then pulls it out.]
- Lexi: Think of it as a regimen. Day in and day out. Like running the treadmill. Like making coffee. Until he's ready to be saved.
- Stefan: I will rip you apart, Lexi!
- Lexi: You can't. I'm already dead.
[She drives the stake through his body again.]
- Elena: I can't...
[She leaves the cell. Lexi looks at her.]
[Elena goes out of the jail and sees the police and the paramedics are at the Town Square. The paramedics are moving a wrapped body on a stretcher.]
Salvatore Boarding House
[Caroline and Bonnie are looking for the necklace everywhere. They even check the soap bowl in Damon's bathroom to no avail.]
- Caroline: Ugh! I give up. It's not anywhere in this room.
[Bonnie's phone vibrates. She looks at her phone and sees that it's Jeremy. She gives a knowing look to Caroline, and Caroline walks over and answers for her.]
- Caroline: What do you want, Jeremy?
- Jeremy: Caroline? Did you find that necklace?
- Caroline: Not yet. Wait, what's going on?
- Jeremy: Ghosts of the tomb vampires killed Tobias Fell. You might want to find that necklace before they start going alphabetically through the founding families.
- Caroline: Well, it's not where it's supposed to be. Unless someone took it.
- Jeremy: Who?
- Caroline: Well, who do you think?
[Jeremy turns around and looks at Anna.]
- Anna: I didn't.
- Jeremy: She said she didn't take it.
- Caroline: Oh, and you believe her.
- Anna: I didn't take it, Jeremy.
[Jeremy turns his back on Anna.]
- Jeremy: You know what, yeah, yeah, I do believe her.
- Caroline: You know what, you're an even bigger idiot than I thought. So wake up, Jeremy, before you lose everything.
[She hangs up. Jeremy turns to face Anna, but she's not there.]
[Jeremy looks all around him for Anna. Elena rejoins him.]
- Elena: Jeremy? What happened?
Old Lockwood Cellar
[Damon and Mason are walking through the hidden part of the cellar.]
- Damon: I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop. Your motives are deceptively pure.
- Mason: You talk the talk, but I know you'll do anything for your brother. You won't screw me over as long as we have the same agenda.
- Damon: I'm supposed to believe you're not going to screw me over?
[They stop. There's different directions.]
- Damon: All right. Which way?
- Mason: I don't know. Flip a coin.
- Damon: Aren't you supposed to be all-knowing?
- Mason: I'm a ghost. I'm not God. Go left.
[Damon goes but there's nothing there.]
- Mason: Or not...You have trust issues. Anyone ever tell you that?
[Damon walks a little further and suddenly sharp wooden poles move out from the walls and go through his body. There's vervain on them. Mason leaves.]
- Damon: Yo. Help a brother out? Mason?
[Elena and Jeremy are talking.]
- Elena: Where is Anna now?
- Jeremy: I don't know, okay? I don't even know for sure if she took the necklace.
- Elena: She was the only person who heard us talking about it. Of course she took it. Okay? We have to get it back. We have to destroy it and then close the door.
- Jeremy: I know, but...
- Elena: But what? What, Jer?
- Jeremy: I can touch her, Elena. I can kiss her again. And I know it's wrong, and I know that I shouldn't feel this way, but I do. I love her. I've always loved her.
- Elena: But it's not real. She's dead. Gone. Everything that you're holding on to is in the past, Jer. Are you going to love a ghost for the rest of your life?
[She looks over Jeremy's shoulder. Anna's there.]
- Elena: He's at the beginning of his life, Anna. You're just holding him back. You know that.
[Anna holds up the necklace in her hand. Elena looks at Jeremy.]
- Elena: Call Bonnie. Tell her that you have the necklace. Get her to send the ghosts away.
[She leaves. Jeremy looks at Anna.]
Old Lockwood Cellar
[Damon still has the stakes in his body. Mason comes back with a shovel.]
- Damon: Oh, I'm having a bad day.
- Mason: Sorry. Thought you might need this.
[He breaks the long stakes with the shovel and removes them.]
- Mason: You're welcome.
[He pulls out one of the stakes and Damon groans in pain. He then proceeds to pull out the other stakes.]
- Damon: What's your game, man? I killed you. I jammed my fist into your chest. I ripped your heart out. There's no way this whole buddy-trust act is real.
- Mason: You know what the other side is like? We're all alone. We watch the people we left behind and we regret our decisions. That's it. Look, I can't change what happened to me. But maybe I can change what happens to Tyler. I don't need revenge, Damon. I need redemption.
[Caroline and Bonnie are in her car. Caroline has just hang up her phone.]
- Caroline: Jeremy's got the necklace. He's going to meet us at the witch house.
- Bonnie: Okay. What's going on up there?
[She slows down. Carol Lockwood's car crashed into a tree by the side of the road. She's unconscious in the driver's seat.]
- Caroline: It's Mrs. Lockwood's car.
[Bonnie slams on the brakes when Frederick walks across the road in front of her, heading for the car. Other tomb vampires are also walking toward the car.]
- Caroline: Bonnie? I'm going to get out of the car.
- Bonnie: What?!
- Caroline: And you're going to drive the hell away from here.
- Bonnie: No way! I am not leaving you!
- Caroline: Bonnie, you've got your ghost boyfriend drama. Elena has hers. And right now the mother of mine is about to be ghost bait. So go and send them all back to the other side, okay?
[Caroline gets out of the car. Bonnie leaves. Frederick looks at Caroline and smiles. Caroline vamps out and rushes toward him.]
[Jeremy and Anna are talking.]
- Jeremy: This spell is just going to break your foothold, right? You'll still be here, I'll still be able to see you. This...this doesn't have to be good-bye.
- Anna: No. But it should be. Elena was right. I'm holding you back.
- Jeremy: Anna...
- Anna: I'm sorry I took the necklace.
- Anna: I just thought, with all the tomb vampires out, that maybe...
- Jeremy: You might find your mother.
- Anna: I don't know where she is, Jeremy. I don't know if she's moved on and found peace, or if there's even any peace to be found.
- Jeremy: Hey, there is, Anna. Okay? There has to be. I believe that, okay?
- Anna: I just...I don't want to be alone anymore.
[He embraces her and she cries.]
- Jeremy: Look at me. You're not going to be alone. I'm not going to let you be alone.
[She gives him back the necklace. He looks at her for a while and finally leaves.]
- Lexi: Quit fighting me, Stefan. I know you're in there.
- Stefan: Not anymore, Lexi.
[Elena comes back but stops and watches what's happening.]
- Lexi: You know you say that every time. Until I make you feel again.
[She drives a stake through his stomach.]
- Stefan: You wasted your whole life taking care of me. Now you're dead and you still have nothing better to do.
[Elena walks over.]
- Elena: We're running out of time.
- Lexi: You've got to get me more.
- Elena: I can't.
- Lexi: No! No...not until I break through.
- Elena: I can't, Lexi. They have the necklace. They're going to close the door.
[Lexi looks at Stefan.]
- Lexi: The necklace. Okay. That necklace. At least tell me you remember how you felt about that. You found it during your darkest time. And you said, when you made it through, that that necklace represented hope.
- Stefan: Ironic, then, that it's about to be blown to pieces.
Old Lockwood Cellar
[They're still walking through the caverns. Suddenly Damon hits an invisible barrier while Mason continues walking foward in front of him.]
- Damon: God! This is not happening.
- Mason: What now?
- Damon: I can't get through. It's like I'm not invited in. Wait!
- Mason: I'm not stopping just 'cause you're stuck. I'll let you know what I find.
- Damon: Yeah, but...
- Mason: Looks like you're gonna have to trust me.
Old Witch House
[Bonnie lights the fireplace and the candles with her powers. Jeremy walks down the stairs and over to her. He holds up the necklace.]
- Jeremy: Bonnie!
[She looks at him coldly and takes the necklace from his hand. She takes it and throws it in the fireplace. She begins to cast a spell. Her grandmother appears alongside her, holds her hand and helps her cast the spell. The necklace burns.]
[Carol wakes up and sees Caroline fighting with the tomb vampire ghosts. Frederick clutches her neck but he suddenly disappears. She looks around her.]
Old Lockwood Cellar
[Mason is looking at the wall and seems amazed.]
- Damon: So? What'd you find?
- Mason: It's in...
- Damon: No, no, no, no. No, where'd you go? Mason, Mason!
[Lexi raises her head and then looks at Elena.]
- Lexi: He's still in there, Elena. You just have to break through.
- Elena: It's okay, Lexi, I know what to do now. You can be free.
[She smiles, looks at Stefan and disappears.]
[Anna is walking alone in the streets, sad when she suddenly sees her mom.]
- Anna: Mamma?
[Pearl cries. They rush toward each other. They cry and embrace each other. They disappear together.]
Old Witch House
[The necklace has melted down.]
- Grams: You are stronger than all of this. I'm so proud of you.
[Bonnie sheds a few tears and Sheila disappears.]
Old Lockwood Cellar
[Damon is sitting. Alaric arrives.]
- Damon: You're here. It's about time.
- Alaric: Didn't have anyone else to call?
- Damon: No, actually, I don't. 'Cause I need a non-vampire to get in the cave, and other than Elena, you're pretty much the only one I trust.
- Alaric: Well, you have a crappy way of showing that.
- Damon: Look, if Mason Lockwood can get over the fact that I killed him, can't you cut me a little slack, Ric?
- Alaric: I shouldn't have to get over it. I was your friend, Damon. You shouldn't have done it in the first place.
- Damon: Well! Sometimes...I do things I don't have to do.
- Alaric: You're going to recycle that same crap-ass apology you gave Mason Lockwood?
- Damon: Yeah, well...I didn't mean it with him.
[He smiles. Alaric looks at him and then turns his flashlight on and looks at the hole.]
[Stefan looks up at Elena.]
- Stefan: So what are you going to do, Elena? You just going to stand there? Waiting for me to dry out?
- Elena: No, I'm going to go home, take care of my brother. Be a friend to Bonnie and everything else that I have to do.
[She starts walking to the door.]
- Stefan: That's good for you. You know, I was wondering when you were going to give up. Lexi gave you...enough of a glimpse into your tragic future.
- Elena: I haven't given up, Stefan. I still have hope.
[She walks over to him.]
- Elena: But there's nothing that I can do until you get yours back.
[She touches his face.]
- Elena: Hey. You can break through this. Fight for it. Feel something. Anything, Stefan. Because if you don't, you're going to lose me forever. I won't love a ghost for the rest of my life.
[She locks the door and leaves.]
Old Witch House
[Bonnie is crying, looking at the fireplace.]
- Jeremy: Bonnie...
- Bonnie: Just go away, Jeremy.
- Jeremy: I owe you an explanation.
- Bonnie: Matt let go of his sister before you let go of Anna. His sister, Jeremy. You know what you owe me? The respect of not making me listen to you explain yourself.
- Jeremy: I am sorry, Bonnie.
- Bonnie: You need to go.
- Jeremy: But...
- Bonnie: Just go, Jeremy.
[He leaves. There's a noise in the fireplace. She looks and sparks are shooting out from it. She goes closer and sees that the necklace is still perfectly intact.]
Old Lockwood Cellar
[Alaric goes where Mason was before. Damon still can't get past.]
- Damon: So was Mason screwing with me, or is there something in there?
[Alaric shines his flashlight around the room.]
- Damon: Ric. Ric?
[Alaric looks at the wall and is amazed.]
- Alaric: I found something.
- Damon: What is it?
[There are a lot of hand drawings on the wall.]
- Alaric: I have no idea.