|“||My memory of Lucien goes back to a time when our family was happy. Things were good or as good as they can be for vampires hiding in plain sight. Everyone in Marseilles was held in the thrall of the Count's arrogant son Tristan and his sister the Lady Aurora. In hindsight I could have done more to prevent what was to follow but then even an endless life can not be played in reverse.||”|
FLASHBACKS TO THE FIRST VAMPIRE EVER SIRED — With tension running as high as ever, Klaus and Elijah are forced to come together in order to uncover Lucien's true motives in New Orleans. Camille is caught off guard when she finds herself face to face with Lucien and is surprised when he reveals some unexpected information about his past with Klaus. Elsewhere, a mysterious figure presents an enticing offer to Marcel, while Hayley turns to an unconventional way of coping with her current situation. Finally, an old acquaintance from Elijah's past arrives in New Orleans and delivers some startling news involving the growing threat to the Mikaelson siblings. Vincent also appears.
- This episode marks the first episode absence of Freya, since her present day debut, and since becoming a main character.
- She was mentioned by Jackson when he was going to call her as a babysitter for Hope.
- This episode marks the first episode absence of Davina this season.
- This is the fourth episode to have New Orleans in its name.
- Aya is revealed to have been sired by Elijah Mikaelson.
- Elijah mentions Gia to Klaus. Sometime later Tristan mentions Gia while talking to Elijah.
- Lucien Castle is the first vampire sired by Niklaus Mikaelson.
- He is the first vampire to be ever sired.
- Klaus sees the visions of the Mikaelsons' downfall again this time along with Elijah.
- Vincent was last seen in For the Next Millennium.
- Josh was last seen in City Beneath The Sea.
- Gia was mentioned in this episode. She was last seen in Fire with Fire. Her corpse was last seen in Ashes to Ashes.
- Court (flashback)
- New Orleans, Louisiana
- Buddhist Monastery
- New Orleans
- Buddhist Monastery
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 0.95 million viewers in the USA.
- It was flashback Thursday on the CW tonight, with both TVD and The Originals jumping back to times of old. For 11th century France, we shot at a sprawling Atlanta cemetery. We shot inside a mausoleum, on the, ahem, unoccupied grounds of the cemetery's property, and with a few VFX elements added for authencity, ta-da, Marseilles.
- Everyone loves and hates flashback wigs with equal measure. We do our best. What most people don’t know is that wigs do not like humidity. At all. This summer in Atlanta was horribly hot and rainy. Please address all complaints about flashback wigs to El Nino.
- St. Anne's Fight Gym, formerly St. Anne's Church, was born out of a real-life bond. Writer Declan and actor Daniel Gillies train at the same fight gym in LA. Rumor has it, Declan could kill a man with his left pinky, but thankfully he's a pacifist. When we talked about building a fight gym, Declan insisted that we wouldn't be cool unless it had an MMA ring. Apparently boxing rings are passé. Declan, the most interesting man in the world, more often than not wins the battles of how to be cool.
- This episode also welcomed Tracy Ifeachor as ancient vampire Aya. Tracy originally was hired to appear in the final scene of last season's finale, only we ended up dropping the scene. But we loved her, so we created a new role for her this year. Stay tuned later this season for flashbacks to the Crusades where we'll learn Aya's backstory.
- Some of our Chinese monks extras who were slaughtered by Aurora had to lie around for so long that their faces became stuck to the floorboards when the fake blood congealed.
- It turns out Oliver is a pure natural at ax-throwing, which freaked everyone out. There is something about a quiet, polite and unassuming gentle man, who wields an ax like a Viking Ninja assassin that makes you question his past life. Nobody cut in line in front of him at catering after that. Everyone called him sir.
- Additionally, I was disappointed we only had Japanese katana swords for our Chinese monastery slaughter scene, so I asked Dave, our stunt coordinator, who is the darkest horse in the world, if he had by any chance a Chinese sword on him. As you do. His response, "Sure, I have two Chinese straight swords in my car." Never upset Dave.
- Aya: "Nice to meet you Marcel Gerard."
- Marcel: "I don't have time for this. Get her out of here."
- Aya: "I've been instructed to make you an offer."
- Elijah: "Kindly enlighten me as to what happened here."
- Marcel: "Remember who your friends are. You're gonna need them."
- Vincent: "We know what you are."
- Klaus: "Lucien qualifies as both friend and foe and according to Freya's prophecy--."
- Elijah: "It has to be friend and foe. But let us not forget family, Niklaus."
- Klaus: "Lucien's two out of three. I say we put him down. Just like old times."
- Elijah: "Just like old times? Brother, I wonder who among our family do you suppose has the greatest predilection for betrayal?"
- Klaus: "Brother, please!"
- Elijah: "Now before we murder Lucien, there's certain questions that need to be answered. Chiefly, what is he doing here? And the wolf venom....why would he lie to you, his sire?"
- Hayley: "Pretty sure that Marcel opens this place for vampires."
- Jackson: "Well you said it yourself, you're part vampire. Figured it'd be a good place for you to blow off some steam. You might feel better if you hit something, even if it's me."
- Hayley: "I can't cut loose with you Jack, you'll get hurt. I have an advantage being you know...I'm dead."
- Jackson: "Here. You got muscle and a bad temper but...I'm pretty good with one of these things. Might make us even....at least to get a workout in."
- Hayley: "I get what you're doing Jack. I'm just...I'm really not in the mood for some half-ass sparing match. So....."
- Jackson: "Are you gonna stand there whining all day or are you gonna show me what you got?"
- Freya (to Klaus and Elijah): "It's true. If this prophecy is fulfilled, you will all fall. One by friend, one by foe, and one by family."
- Klaus: "Lucien! Come out. Come out. Wherever you are!"
- Elijah (to Klaus): "I'm afraid that we might have to resort to some deliciously medieval here brother."
- Marcel (to Vampires): "Klaus and Elijah will get it sorted out and we'll be back to business in no time."
- Aya: "Somehow I doubt that. Your current dilemma will get worse before it gets better. I was instructed not to leave without making you an offer. Will you hear my offer or not?"