COLLEGE DAYS — After spending the summer enjoying her passionate relationship with Damon, and making sure that Jeremy is adjusting after his return from the dead, Elena is thrilled to move into the dorm at nearby Whitmore College with her new roommate, Caroline. Still believing that Bonnie has been traveling all summer and will soon join them, Elena and Caroline are surprised when a student named Megan shows up and announces that she will be sharing their dorm room. Katherine makes an unexpected appearance at the Salvatore house and pleads with Damon to help her now that she is human and vulnerable to her enemies. Matt and Rebekah return to Mystic Falls after spending a wild summer in Europe, where they met a mysterious beauty named Nadia. Elena can’t shake the feeling that something is wrong with Stefan, and Silas makes a terrifying appearance at the “End of Summer” party in the town square.
- Antagonists: Silas, Nadia, Enzo (unseen) and Gregor.
- This is the first episode of the first chapter of Season Five, The Doppelgängers Chapter.
- This episode marks the first appearances of Nadia, Gregor, Jesse, Dianne, and Megan.
- Elena and Caroline meet Jesse in this episode.
- Whitmore College is revealed to be a few hours away from Mystic Falls.
- Rebekah and Matt were said to have sent the Mystic Falls Gang postcards from their European trip over the summer.
- Bonnie tells Jeremy that she doesn't want to ruin Elena's happiness (as well as the happiness of the rest of her loved ones) by revealing that she died.
- Whitmore House is seen for the first time in this episode.
- Katherine and Silas meet for the very first time in this episode.
- This episode featured the first same-sex kiss in the entire series when Rebekah and Nadia made out in a hotel bed while Matt watched.
- Silas reveals to Damon that Stefan is "suffering" just as he had for 2,000 years, alerting him to the fact that Stefan hadn't just left town after graduation as everyone had thought.
- Though Damon initially sent Jeremy to take Katherine out of town to keep her away from Silas, the revelation that Silas knew where Stefan was and what happened to him caused Damon to change his mind and instruct Jeremy to bring her back. Katherine, knowing she was being brought to her death, purposely caused Jeremy to wreck the car, injuring them both in the process before she left him for dead.
- Fortunately, Damon arrived just in time to feed Jeremy his blood and save his life.
- Although Silas is an immortal who feeds on human blood to survive, he does not possess the enhanced physical attributes that vampires have, such as super-speed and super-strength. He also does not possess fangs, as evidenced when he used a knife to slice open Liz Forbes' wrist so he could drain some of her blood into a cup for him to drink.
- Possibly as a result of these differences, Silas voiced his dislike of vampires, which he deemed to be nothing more than "disgusting perversions" of him. He then insisted that Liz refer to him as an immortal rather than a vampire, because unlike actual vampires, he is completely invulnerable and cannot be killed by any known conventional means.
- Damon offers Katherine his blood to turn her into a vampire again, but though she is sorely tempted, she declines his offer, explaining that since she is the only known person to have ingested the cure, there is no guarantee that she would actually awaken in transition, and she is too afraid that she could actually die for good.
- Elena and Caroline's new roommate, Megan King, is killed at the party that Elena and Caroline tried to attend. Though they realized upon looking at the state of her body that she had been attacked by a vampire, the head of the Campus Police ruled her death a suicide in an obvious cover-up.
- Upon looking through Megan's phone after her death, Elena finds a photograph of Megan with her adoptive father Grayson, indicating that the two knew each other.
- The End of Summer party in Mystic Falls took place in this episode.
- Silas uses his psychic powers to force everyone at the End of Summer party to stand motionless and silent as he killed Bonnie's father Mayor Hopkins in front of them.
- Though it would not become known until the next episode, Silas also used his immense mind control abilities to compel the entire crowd to contact him in the event that they come across Katherine or her whereabouts.
- This is the first season premiere to feature Rick Worthy as Rudy Hopkins.
- This was also the last episode to feature Rick Worthy.
- Liz was last seen in The Walking Dead.
- Nadia was seen last seen through a flashback in Katerina.
- This is the first season premiere to not feature Tyler, at least physically.
- There is a time jump of three months from the end of Season Four, which occurred in June.
- Bonnie and Jeremy reference Bonnie's death on several occasions while debating telling the others about what happened. Bonnie died from overuse of magic in Graduation.
- This is the first time since Katerina and Klaus that Katherine Pierce is seen as a human. In those episodes, she was seen as a human in flashbacks to 1490 and 1492, just before she turned herself into a vampire.
- This is the first time Katherine has met Silas since she freed him from his tomb on the Island.
- This is also the first time Jeremy meets Silas since he was killed by him on the Island.
- Grayson and Miranda Gilbert were last seen in The Departed and were last mentioned in Graduation.
- Jenna Sommers was last seen in The Departed and was last mentioned in Stand By Me.
- Jeremy claims that he burned the Gilbert House to fake his death in order to get back into school. In reality, it was actually Elena who burned down the house to use as a cover story for Jeremy's death in Stand By Me.
- Whitmore College as a whole was last seen in The Five, though it was last visited in Because the Night when Stefan, Caroline and Klaus broke into Shane's office.
- Elena and Caroline's new roommate Megan King is killed by an unknown vampire in this episode. In Fifty Shades of Grayson, it's revealed that Enzo is the vampire who killed her.
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- McKinley, Virginia
- Prague, The Czech Republic
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 2.59 million viewers in the USA.
- Hashtag during the airing is #TVDCollegeYears
- I Know What You Did Last Summer is the name of a 1997 horror movie starring Jennifer Love Hewitt, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Ryan Phillippe and Freddie Prinze Jr. The screenplay was written by Kevin Williamson. The screenplay was also based on the 1973 novel by the same name by Lois Duncan.
- Supernatural (Season 4, Episode 9) also has a episode title with the same name.
- Stefan: (narrating) "...But our greatest threat is still out there, and he looks... just... like... me."
- Bonnie: (narrating) "If Katherine Pierce ingesting the only cure on this Earth and having to live as a human isn't justice, I don't know what is."
- Jeremy: (to Bonnie) "It's bad enough you're dead-- now you're a control freak?"
- Damon: (to Elena) "You're leaving! You're going to college. You're going to drink cheap beer, and you're going to protest about things you don't care about."
- Elena: (to Caroline) "To us. And college, and being functional vampires."
- Jeremy: (to Bonnie) "I should get going. The freak who faked his own death can't also be late for math."
- Rebekah: (to Matt) "Five-star restaurants in Paris to tapping kegs in a park? Tragic."
- Rebekah: (to Matt) "Tell him we had a threesome! He'll understand."
- Caroline: (to Elena about Megan) "She has an entire drawer dedicated to organic linen."
- (Katherine is drinking Damon's alcohol)
- Katherine: "You're gonna have to cut me off soon. My tolerance is a joke now. It's just so... glorious."
- Damon: (amused) "You're miserable."
- Katherine: "Please. I'm Katherine Pierce. I'm a survivor."
- Damon: You're a liar. Your hair is messed up, your nails are chipped. You're a sad, miserable human being and you want me to turn you. So, here. (Damon bites his wrist and offers it to Katherine) Go ahead. Drink up. I'll kill you, you'll bite the mailman, and you'll be a vampire again. Go ahead. Come on."
- Katherine: (looks tempted, but ultimately resists the blood) "I can't, okay? No one's ever taken the Cure before. If I die, there's a good chance I may never wake up."
- Damon: (rolls his eyes) "And that would be tragic."
- Katherine: "And deep down in that mushy, gushy Elena-loving heart, there's a part of you that doesn't want me to die."
- Damon: "If I have to hear the word "doppelgänger" one more time, I think I'm gonna actually have to learn how to spell it."
- Silas: "You say you don't believe me, and yet you're mind is spinning at the possibility."
- Damon: "A) Get out of my head. B) I think I'd know if my little brother had an evil twin."
- Silas: "Oh, we're not twins. See, when I became truly immortal, nature retaliated by creating a version of me that was killable. It's called a shadow self."
- Damon: "Well, whatever you are, your plan didn't work. The cure's gone. Now what do you want with Katherine?"
- Silas: "I could tell you, but wouldn't be so much more fun if it were a surprise?"
- Damon: "You're not getting her."
- Silas: "Damon, how well do you know your brother? Do you really think he would leave town for three months without so much as a phone call so you could live happily ever after with the love of his life? Or did you just delude yourself into thinking it would be that easy?"
- Damon: "Where's Stefan?"
- Silas: "He's suffering, like I suffered. So, call the hunter, bring me Katherine, and then I will tell you where your little brother is."
- Damon: "One day. One day where you don't screw it up."
- Jeremy: "Leave me alone, Damon."
- Damon: "You're lucky you didn't put one of those idiots in ICU."
- Jeremy: "Says the guy that once killed me."
- Damon: "Yes! In the privacy of your own home, away from prying eyes! Unlike you, who went all hunter in the middle of the hallway. You got expelled, genius."
- Jeremy: "Does that mean I don't have to go back to school?"
- Damon: "I compelled Principal Webber into a very generous three-day suspension. Elena does not need to know about this."