- 1 Gilbert Residence
- 2 Salvatore Boarding House
- 3 Gilbert Residence
- 4 Forbes Residence
- 5 Gilbert Residence
- 6 Martin Residence
- 7 Isobel's Residence
- 8 Salvatore Boarding House
- 9 Lockwood Mansion
- 10 Woods
- 11 Salvatore Boarding House
- 12 Mystic Falls
- 13 Old Witch House
- 14 Lockwood Mansion
- 15 Old Witch House
- 16 Lockwood Mansion
- 17 Salvatore Boarding House
- 18 Isobel's Car
- 19 Isobel's Residence
- 20 Forbes Residence
- 21 Old Witch House
- 22 Isobel's Residence
- 23 Grove Hill Cemetery
- 24 Forbes Residence
- 25 Salvatore Boarding House
- 26 Gilbert Residence
- 27 Mystic Falls
- 28 Salvatore Boarding House
- 29 Alaric's Residence
- 30 See More
[Isobel is at the door. She's looking at Elena. Jenna is stunned.]
- Isobel: Hello, Elena. It's nice to see you again.
[Jenna looks at Elena.]
- Jenna: Again?
[Elena doesn't know what to say.]
- Isobel: So you're the woman who's dating my husband. I need to speak to Elena. May I come in?
- Elena: N-n-no. Don't...don't invite her in.
- Isobel: I need to talk to you, Elena.
- Elena: No!
[She slams the door in Isobel's face and looks at Jenna, who's crying.]
- Jenna: You knew she was still alive? Ric? John? Did they know?
- Elena: I can explain everything, Jenna.
- Jenna: No.
- Elena: No. Jenna, please.
[Jenna runs upstairs. Elena goes after her.]
- Elena: Jenna, please. Wait. Jenna, please wait.
[Jenna's goes into her bedroom and slams the door. Elena is outside, at the door.]
- Elena: Jenna, you have to talk to me. I...I need to explain what's going on. Jenna, please.
[Jenna is sitting on the floor, crying.]
Salvatore Boarding House
[Stefan and Damon are going down the stairs.]
- Stefan: Isobel just showed up at their front doorstep.
- Damon: What's she doing here?
- Stefan: I don't know. That's what I'm gonna go find out.
[Katherine joins them.]
- Katherine: I don't think that you should tell her that I'm here.
- Stefan: What? Why?
- Katherine: It's better if she and John not know that I stayed in town after I got out of the tomb.
- Damon: You're the one in cahoots with them. You made a deal with John that almost got me killed.
- Katherine: I did what I had to get out of the tomb. Now I'm reconsidering my alliance.
[She turns around but Stefan interrupts her.]
- Stefan: What do you know?
- Katherine: I know that I want Klaus dead, which puts me squarely on team you. Besides, if you two ever need me to swap places with Elena again, the less people know that I'm here, the better. Think about it, Stefan. Come on. Be smart.
- Stefan: Tell you what. Why don't you, uh...Call Alaric and let him know that his wife just showed up on his girlfriend's doorstep.
[He looks at them and leaves. Katherine and Damon look at each other.]
[Elena opens the door to Alaric.]
- Alaric: Hey. Is she up yet?
- Elena: She won't come out of her room.
- Alaric: What'd you tell her?
- Elena: Nothing. She won't talk to me,
- Alaric: We're gonna have to fix this, Elena.
[Jenna comes down the stairs.]
- Elena: Hey.
- Alaric: Jenna.
- Jenna: I don't want you here, Ric. You need to go.
- Alaric: Okay, listen. I can't begin to imagine what you must be feeling right now.
- Jenna: Rage and betrayal would pretty much cover it.
[She puts on her jacket and takes her bag.]
- Elena: Where are you going?
- Jenna: I'm going to stay on campus. I have a thesis to write, and I don't want to be in this house.
- Alaric: Jenna, please just stop. Let us explain to you exactly what is going on.
- Jenna: Elena, I need you to go to the Lockwood's today and accept the Historical Society's check for your mom's foundation.
- Elena: Okay, but, Jenna, please just...
- Jenna: I don't have it in me to hear any more lies from you.
[She leaves and closes the door.]
- Elena: Jenna, just...
[John comes out of the kitchen.]
- John: Let her go. It's better that she's not here, what with everything that's going on but maybe had you been a little more honest with her from the beginning, this...
[Alaric punches him in the face.]
- Alaric: Sorry, Elena.
[He leaves. Elena looks at John with a smile.]
- Elena: You know this is your fault, right?
- John: Right.
[She heads upstairs.]
[Caroline leaves her house and goes to her car. She's on the phone with Stefan talking about Matt.]
- Caroline: I can't find him anywhere. He's not at home. He's not answering his phone.
- Stefan: How could you let him go?
- Caroline: My mom walked in. He took off. I didn't know what to do.
- Stefan: Did your mom hear anything?
- Caroline: No. She just thinks we're fighting but he knows about me, and he's freaking out about Vicki.
- Stefan: All right. Listen. You have to find him. You have to calm him down. Compel him if you have to. Is he still on the vervain?
- Caroline: I slip it into his soda when he's at work, but I didn't get to last night, so it's out of his system. He has a catering shift at the Lockwood's today. I'm gonna try there.
[She hangs up. She presses a button on her steering wheel and talks to the in-car computer.]
- Caroline: Call Matt.
- Computer: Calling Matt...
- Matt (on answering machine): You've reached Matt. Leave a message.
[She doesn't leave a message and instead drives off.]
[Elena and Stefan are in her bedroom.]
- Elena: Ah, this is bad. Between Isobel and Jenna and now Matt, this is disaster bad.
- Stefan: Yeah.
[John walks in.]
- John: Elena, can you come downstairs, please? I need to talk to you.
- Elena: Heh. I have nothing to say to you.
- John: Please. It's important. You, too, Stefan.
[They go downstairs. Isobel comes out of the kitchen.]
- Isobel: I asked John for a do-over.
[Elena looks at John.]
- Elena: You invited her in?
- John: She has information about Klaus. Please, just listen to her, okay?
[Elena looks at Stefan.]
- Stefan: All right. What do you know?
[John, Isobel, Elena and Stefan are in the kitchen.]
- Isobel: Since I was last here, I've been doing everything possible to find Klaus. We knew our best chance was to find him before he could find you.
- Stefan: Best chance at what?
- John: Keeping Elena alive.
- Elena: You don't get to talk, okay, not after everything you've done.
- Stefan: Were you able to find Klaus?
- Isobel: No. Nobody knows where he is but there are these rumors that are flying around. That a doppelgänger exists.
- John: Which means any vampire that wants to get in favor with Klaus will be lining up to capture you.
- Elena: I'm not buying any of this.
[She looks at Isobel.]
- Elena: The last time that you were here, you made it clear that you didn't give a damn about me. Now all of a sudden I'm supposed to believe that you want to help?
- John: Isobel's been helping all along. Klaus has been obsessed with finding Katherine for centuries. All it would take was any one of those 1864 tomb vampires to spread the word around that Katherine was still alive and it would bring him straight here to Mystic Falls, where you were bound to be discovered, so we killed them.
- Elena: And almost killed Stefan and Damon in the process.
[Isobel gets up and moves towards Elena.]
- Isobel: I have a safe house that I can take you to. The deed is in your name. No vampires can get in without your permission, not even me. Let me help you.
- Elena: You wanna help? Then get the hell out of my house.
[Damon opens the door. Bonnie and Jeremy are with him. He checks and finds he can step over the threshold.]
- Damon: Yep. Everybody's dead.
[Damon enters the apartment. Luka's corpse is in the living room.]
- Bonnie: We should pack up the grimoires. They spent years collecting them. I wanna make sure they're safe.
[Damon looks at Luka's corpse.]
- Damon: You know, we could just get another match and cremate him.
- Bonnie: Don't be disrespectful. Not to him.
- Damon: Fine. I'll bury him.
- Jeremy: What exactly are we looking for?
- Bonnie: According to Luka's dad, one of these contains a spell that'll let me harness the energy that's left behind when a witch dies violently.
- Damon: I didn't know you and father witch were so close.
- Bonnie: We weren't but when he gave me my powers back, he gave me a message. If I can find the spot in town, where the old Salem witches were burned, I can harness their energy to use when I need it.
- Damon: Great. We'll have to put that on our list of things to do today. Harness ancient dead-witch power.
- Bonnie: You know where the witches were burned?
- Damon: Did I forget to mention that?
[Jeremy is reading one of the grimoires.]
- Jeremy: Are we gonna have to read through every one of these books till we find the right spell?
- Bonnie: Not exactly.
[She looks at the shelf, closes her eyes and raises her hands. All of the books fall and one of them opens right in front of her. She takes it.]
- Bonnie: It's this one.
- Damon: Great. Grab the rest. Let's go.
[Isobel and her male minion enter the house. She takes a bottle of "wine" from the bag.]
- Isobel: Merci, mon Cherie.
[She senses that someone's there. She rushes over to the person and pushes her against the wall. It's Katherine. Katherine pushes her against a wall by her throat.]
- Katherine: Nice house.
- Isobel: Nicest foreclosure in town.
[Katherine removes her hand and smiles. Isobel laughs.]
- Isobel: Come here.
[They embrace each other.]
- Isobel: It's good to see you, Katherine.
- Katherine: I hear you've been busy.
- Isobel: Yes, I have. I've been busy making a deal with Klaus to save your life.
[Isobel gives the bottle of wine to Katherine and is carrying two big wine glasses.]
- Isobel: Here. A vintner I knew in Avignon.
[Katherine pulls out the cork with her fingers, puts a finger in it and tastes it.]
- Katherine: He's tasty.
[They are in the living room. Katherine pours blood from the bottle into wine glasses.]
- Katherine: So what was with the surprise visit to the Gilbert house?
- Isobel: John told me Rick was dating auntie vanilla. I got jealous.
- Katherine: You have obviously got John wrapped around your finger if he invited you in the house.
- Isobel: He thinks I'm helping him protect Elena, so he's been very useful in keeping me informed on everything that's been going on.
- Katherine: So tell me what you know.
- Isobel: You were right. I couldn't get anywhere near Klaus, but I found my way to someone in his trusted circle. One of his witches.
- Katherine: Klaus and his witches.
[Katherine takes a sip of blood.]
- Isobel: He said that Klaus is willing to grant you your freedom if we deliver the moonstone and the doppelgänger.
- Katherine: I can get the moonstone.
- Isobel: You know Katherine, you'd be betraying your Salvatore boys again.
- Katherine: I was more than willing to play it their way if I had to, but they're floundering. Their witch has lost her powers, and they've used their only weapon to kill Elijah. If I stick with them, I'm dead. You showing up changes everything.
[They raise their glasses and drink.]
Salvatore Boarding House
[Elena, Stefan and Damon are in the library.]
- Elena: Do you really think that Isobel's telling the truth that word's gotten out about the doppelgänger?
- Stefan: Look, I don't trust a word that she says, but I think we'd be stupid to ignore the warning.
- Damon: You know, you should just stay here. It's better for us to keep an eye on you.
- Stefan: What, in the house that any vampire can enter? No. Her house is safer.
- Damon: Well, then we'll stay there.
- Elena: So is that the plan? Neither of you will let me out of your sight again?
- Damon: Let me know when you come up with a better one.
- Elena: Fine. Then one of you 2 bodyguards is gonna have to come with me to the Lockwood luncheon.
- Stefan: That'd be me.
- Damon: Not me. I have witch stuff to attend to with Bonnie.
- Elena: Does that mean that you're taking her to the...
- Damon: Shh.
[Damon puts his finger to his mouth as he says this. Katherine walks in.]
- Katherine: Don't get quiet on my account. If you have a plan to combat the impending vampire doom, please do tell.
[No one answers. Damon looks at Stefan.]
- Katherine: Seriously, what is the plan to get us out of this mess, hmm? I delivered you a moonstone, a werewolf, and the dagger to lure and kill Klaus, and right now all you have is a moonstone. Or so you tell me.
- Damon: No, we have it.
- Katherine: Where is it?
- Damon: It's in a very safe place.
- Katherine: I've been honest with you. Time to return the favor.
- Damon: Let me be honest with you. Don't mistake the fact that we haven't set you on fire in your sleep for trust.
[Elena looks at her and smiles.]
- Katherine: Fine. Be that way.
[Carol is talking with Sheriff Forbes.]
- Sheriff Forbes: The marshal hasn't been able to figure out what caused the fire at the scene, but he did find blood. No body, just blood.
- Carol: You think vampires were involved?
- Sheriff Forbes: I'm starting to assume the answer to that is always a yes.
[Caroline interrupts them.]
- Caroline: Mrs. Lockwood, uh, have you seen Matt? I thought he was working a catering shift at today's luncheon.
- Carol: No, I haven't, honey. Sorry. But if you see him, could you ask if he's heard from Tyler?
- Caroline: Yeah, of course. Um, still no word from him?
- Carol: No. The note he left said he needed time to figure some things out, but I wish I knew where he was.
[Caroline sees Stefan and Elena.]
- Caroline: Um, excuse me.
[She walks over to Stefan and Elena.]
- Stefan: Hey. Any luck finding Matt?
- Caroline: None. What if he tells somebody? What if he tells everybody?
- Stefan: No, we just gotta find him and make sure that doesn't happen.
[He looks at Elena.]
- Stefan: Do you have any idea where he would be?
- Elena: I wish I did, but he wasn't really one to run.
- Caroline: You know, this wasn't how it was supposed to happen. You know, I was supposed to tell him at the right moment in the right way, and he was supposed to be okay with it because he loves me.
- Elena: We'll help you find him. I just have to accept this thing for Jenna.
- Caroline: All right. Well, call me when you're done, and I'll be out looking for him.
- Stefan: Maybe he'll come around. You did.
[Damon, Bonnie and Jeremy are walking through the woods.]
- Jeremy: Is this the spot Emily Bennett was killed, too?
- Damon: Founders thought it was poetic burning her where the other witches burned.
- Bonnie: How do you know where the witches were burned?
- Damon: 'Cause I tried to save her. Emily was just my key to getting Katherine back before I knew what a nasty little bitch Katherine was.
[Jeremy laughs. They stop in front of an abandoned and run-down house where the witches used to live.]
- Jeremy: You sure it's the right place?
[Damon nods. They enter the house and walk around. Suddenly, Damon is unable to move.]
- Damon: Whatever witchy prank you're playing, don't. It's not funny.
- Bonnie: I'm not doing anything.
- Damon: I can't move.
[Suddenly his skin starts burning.]
- Damon: Oh, my ring's not working. Do something.
[She concentrates and closes her eyes. Damon can move again.]
- Bonnie: I don't think the witches like you being here.
- Jeremy: I guess this is the right place.
- Damon: I'm gonna go wait outside.
Salvatore Boarding House
[Katherine is in Damon's room. She's searching for the moonstone. She goes through his closet and drawers. She finds a wad of money and pockets it. She even checks the fireplace but can't find it. She sighs and goes and washes her hands with soap in the bathroom. She starts to leave, but suddenly stops. She digs in the bowl of soap bars that Damon has and finds the moonstone. She takes it out and smiles.]
[Alaric goes to his car. Isobel is there.]
- Isobel: Hi, Ric.
- Alaric: Isobel. What do you want?
- Isobel: Just cleaning up some loose ends.
- Alaric: Yeah, we don't have any loose ends.
- Isobel: You may not. I do. I need to apologize to you.
- Alaric: It's a little late for that.
- Isobel: No, not for what I've done in the past. We're beyond that. Although I am sorry for outing you to your girlfriend. That was petty of me.
- Alaric: Look, whatever jacked-up vampire amends that you're trying to make with me right now, I'm not interested.
- Isobel: Of course not, because I compelled you to let me go. I realize that I don't wanna do what I have to do without you knowing how much I loved you and I did. I loved you so much. He's all yours.
[A man is behind Alaric he puts his hands next to Alaric's head. He falls on the floor, unconscious. Isobel leaves, looking pained.]
Old Witch House
[Damon is waiting outside.]
- Damon: Wanna hurry it up in there?
[The door closes by itself.]
- Damon: Screw you too, Emily. You know, you're all on your own in there.
[He leaves. Bonnie and Jeremy are inside.]
- Bonnie: Can you hand me the grimoire?
- Jeremy: Are you sure about this?
- Bonnie: Are you worried about me?
- Jeremy: Yeah, of course I am.
[She takes the grimoire and kisses him.]
- Bonnie: I'm sure.
[She opens the grimoire and sees a letter. She reads it. Voices are whispering around them.]
- Jeremy: What is that?
- Bonnie: The spirits of the witches who died here. I can feel them.
- Jeremy: All right. What are they saying?
- Bonnie: I can't tell.
[She walks out of the room and down into the basement. Jeremy follows her.]
- Jeremy: Where are you going?
[She stops in the basement.]
- Bonnie: Here. This is it. Help me set the candles.
[The whispers have gotten louder.]
- Jeremy: What the hell are they saying?
[She concentrates and closes her eyes. She reopens them.]
- Jeremy: What is it?
- Bonnie: Nothing.
[All the candles light up at the same time.]
- Bonnie: They're ready.
[Everyone is sitting in one room. Carol is talking to them.]
- Carol: And here to accept the donation to the Miranda Sommers-Gilbert scholarship fund is Elena Gilbert.
[Elena smiles and joins Carol.]
[John is upstairs. Isobel is there.]
- John: What are you doing here?
- Isobel: I'm creating a distraction.
[Her face changes. She rushes over to John and bites him.]
[Elena is accepting the check.]
- Elena: The Historical Society was my mom's baby. She considered all of you family and would be honored and touched by this gift.
[Stefan hears a noise. He looks aside and sees John Gilbert falling down the stairs. He lies unconscious on the floor. Everyone has heard. Stefan goes over to him. Everyone else clears the room and goes over to the staircase. Elena is about to follow them but Katherine intercepts her and puts her hand on Elena's mouth.]
- Katherine: Nice dress. Mind if I borrow it?
[Stefan is looking at John's body and sees the bite mark on his neck. Carol sees him and addresses the assembled crowd.]
- Carol: Please, let the sheriff do her job.
[Sheriff Forbes moves through the crowd and crouches down next to Stefan.]
- Stefan: Uh, he's-he's bleeding. Is he okay?
- Sheriff Forbes: Yeah, I got it. I got it.
[She looks at John and turns to the crowd.]
- Sheriff Forbes: You know what? Let's all back off. He just needs some air. Everything's fine.
[Stefan goes in the other room, looking for Elena. He sees her but it's Katherine posing as Elena.]
- Stefan: You okay?
- Katherine: I'm calling Damon.
- Stefan: Let's get out of here. Come on.
[Isobel is driving away with Elena on the back seat. Outside the Lockwood Mansion, Stefan and Katherine are walking to Elena's car. Katherine is on the phone. She's still posing as Elena.]
- Katherine: It's Isobel, Damon. It's gotta be.
- Stefan: Tell him he needs to get over here and deal with John's body.
- Katherine: You've got some serious explaining to do to the Council about John being not so dead.
[She hangs up. Stefan pushes her against the car.]
- Stefan: Where the hell is she, huh?
[She stabs him with a vervain syringe.]
- Katherine: I'm sorry, Stef, but I can't have you following me.
[She tosses him into the shrubbery and leaves.]
Old Witch House
[Bonnie's eyes are closed. The voices around them keep getting louder. She begins to cry.]
- Jeremy: Bonnie? You're scaring me here.
- Jeremy: Bonnie!
[He tries to get closer to her but he's thrown against the wall by an invisible force. Bonnie's screaming louder. Jeremy can't get up. Suddenly all the voices stop. Jeremy gets up and rushes over to Bonnie. She's crying.]
- Jeremy: You okay?
- Bonnie: I did it.
[She swoons on her feet. Jeremy embraces her.]
- Jeremy: It's okay.
- Carol: I'm sorry for the scare. It was just a bad fall. Paramedics are on their way.
[Everybody's out. Damon enters.]
- Damon: Hey. How is he?
- Sheriff Forbes: He's dead.
[Damon looks at the body, picks up John's arm with the ring, and casually throws it on his body.]
- Damon: He'll be fine in a couple hours.
- Carol: What are you talking about? Damon, he's dead.
- Damon: Well...Here's the thing. John's ring, it's an old Gilbert family heirloom that protects its owner from death by a supernatural entity.
- Carol: But he's not breathing. He has no pulse.
[Damon grabs John under the armpits and starts dragging him away.]
- Damon: He will be. Trust me. We're gonna need a cover story...epileptic fit, alcohol binge, banana peel, whatever works. But right now I just have to get him out of here.
[He leaves with John's body.]
[Sheriff Forbes goes out. She's on the phone with one of her deputies.]
- Sheriff Forbes: Yeah. It's a false alarm at the Lockwood's. Okay. Good. Thanks.
[Matt's waiting for her at her car.]
- Matt: Sheriff Forbes.
- Sheriff Forbes: Matt, what's wrong?
- Matt: I wanna see Vicki's file.
- Sheriff Forbes: What?
- Matt: My sister, I want to see her file. I want to see how you covered up that she was killed by a vampire.
- Sheriff Forbes: Matt, you need to calm down. You're upset. You don't know...
[He grabs her shoulder.]
- Matt: Don't lie to me.
[She grabs him, twists him around and pushes him onto the hood of her car.]
- Sheriff Forbes: Matt, you need to calm down now.
Salvatore Boarding House
[Damon walks in carrying John's body over his shoulder. He dumps him on the floor. He has blood on his hands and on his shirt. He goes in the bathroom and washes his hands. He takes off his shirt. His phone rings. He answers. It's Stefan.]
- Damon: Stefan? How'd I beat you and Elena home? What?
[He rummages through the soap bowl and realizes the moonstone's not there. He throws the bowl on the ground.]
[Isobel's phone rings. It's Katherine. Elena is lying on the back seat, unconscious.]
- Isobel: Are we good to go?
- Katherine: I'm at your house, but we have to hurry. Damon knows your lodging tricks. It will take him all of 20 minutes to find out where you're staying.
- Isobel: We'll be long gone before that.
- Katherine: Good. How far are you?
- Isobel: I'm sorry, Katherine.
[Elena starts waking up.]
- Isobel: I had to do what I was told. He wanted the moonstone and he wanted you.
- Katherine: He? He who?
[She hangs up.]
[Katherine turns around. The warlock is just inside the front door. She rushes over to him but he stops her with his powers. She screams and falls on the ground, unconscious.]
[Caroline is on the porch. She's leaving a voice message for Matt.]
- Caroline: Hey, Matt, if you're listening to this that means you've listened to the last 25 messages I've left you, which all say the same thing, so...call me.
[Caroline looks through the window in the front door and sees Matt inside. She enters the house.]
- Caroline: You're here.
- Matt: Your mom brought me here.
- Caroline: My mom?
- Matt: I accused her of covering up Vicki's death and she threatened to arrest me.
- Caroline: Did you tell her anything else?
- Matt: Nothing about you.
[Caroline breathes a sigh of relief.]
- Matt: I got the feeling she wasn't gonna believe anything I said, so I shut up. Then she brought me here to cool down, and then she got called away.
- Caroline: Matt...
[She gets closer to him but he steps back.]
- Caroline: Why'd you stick around if you're still scared of me?
- Matt: Because I need to know more about Vicki, about you.
- Caroline: I'll tell you anything you wanna know.
Old Witch House
[Bonnie and Jeremy outside walking away from the house.]
- Jeremy: All right, well, there has to be something in the grimoire to help us translate that chant.
- Bonnie: It was just a warning.
- Jeremy: Heh. What kind of warning?
- Bonnie: It's not important.
- Jeremy: Uh, look, it is important to me, okay?
- Bonnie: It's a lot of power to have access to. They're just telling me to be careful with it.
- Jeremy: Well, exactly how much power can you draw from a hundred dead witches?
[She closes her eyes and concentrates. Leaves start flying around them. The sky turns black and there is thunder and lightning.]
- Jeremy: Bonnie.
[Jeremy touches her arm and she opens her eyes. The weather returns to normal.]
- Bonnie: The answer to your question is: a lot.
[Stefan and Damon pull up outside in a car.]
- Stefan: Think this is the house?
- Damon: Better be. It's the nicest foreclosure in town.
- Stefan: Swear to God if she's not here...
- Damon: Don't be such a pessimist.
[They enter the house. The place seems empty of people but there's a piano in an adjoining room.]
- Stefan: I got upstairs.
[He goes upstairs. Damon looks at the rest of the house. Nobody's there. Damon sees Isobel's luggage. Stefan comes back down the stairs.]
- Damon: This is Isobel's stuff. It's definitely the right place.
- Stefan: Where are they?
- Damon: I don't know, Stefan.
Grove Hill Cemetery
[Isobel's car drives inside the cemetery and stops. Isobel's minion gets out of the driver's seat, and opens the side door. Isobel gets out of the car.]
- Isobel: Just because you can't be compelled doesn't mean I can't force you to come with me.
[Elena gets out of the car.]
- Elena: So is that what happened? You were compelled to betray Katherine?
- Isobel: If I was, I couldn't tell you.
- Elena: So you lied. You did find Klaus, didn't you? He knows where I am now. Are you taking me to him?
[Isobel doesn't answer but instead walks to a tombstone and crouches down in front of it.]
- Elena: What is this?
[Isobel clears some leaves from the tombstone. It reads "In loving memory - Isobel Flemming - Jan 18, 1978 - May 4, 2007"]
- Isobel: My parents, your grandparents, they put it here when it became clear that the police weren't gonna find my body. They visit every week, and they bring flowers, even though there's no one buried here. The Isobel they knew is dead. So maybe there's a part of me that's buried here, the-the human part, the part that I abandoned when I-when I choose to become a vampire, the part that used to dream about the day that she'd know her daughter.
- Elena: What?
- Isobel: And instead you got to meet the other part...The part that would betray her own flesh and blood.
[Isobel phone rings. She answers. It's the warlock.]
- Maddox: I have Katherine and the moonstone. Is the doppelgänger safe?
- Isobel: Yes.
- Maddox: Then let her go.
- Isobel: Let her go?
- Maddox: Klaus has everything he needs for now. Your part is finished. You did what he compelled you to do.
- Isobel: I'm done?
- Maddox: You're done.
[She hangs up with a look of relief.]
- Elena: Who was that?
- Isobel: I'm so sorry, Elena. I was such a disappointment to you.
[She pulls off her necklace and starts burning in the sunlight. She screams as she bursts into flames, and falls to the ground in front of her grave. Elena's shocked.]
[Matt and Caroline are in the living room.]
- Caroline: So after I hurt you in the woods, I made you forget and I promised myself I would stay away from you, but I-I couldn't...'Cause I love you. I do. I love you, Matt, so much. God, I'm so sorry about what happened to Vicki. And I really wish you'd say something.
- Matt: I'm all alone.
- Caroline: No, you're not.
- Matt: My mom doesn't care, my sister's dead, and all of my friends are liars, and you're a...
- Caroline: I'm still me. I'm still me. It's just I'm just a little bit...
[She sits down next to him but he immediately gets up.]
- Matt: Don't. No. This is too much. All of this is just too much. I don't want to know this.
- Caroline: Tell me what I can do. Tell me what I can do. I...I want to help you.
- Matt: You can make me forget. You've done it to me before.
- Caroline: I don't-I don't think that that's...
- Matt: Please make me forget, Caroline. I don't wanna look at you and see what I'm seeing right now.
- Caroline: But maybe after...
- Matt: (Shouting.) Just make me forget, Caroline!
- Caroline: Okay. Okay, Matt.
[She gets up and takes his face in her hands.]
Salvatore Boarding House
[Elena has Isobel's necklace in her hands. Stefan walks in.]
- Stefan: Is that Isobel's?
- Elena: I never thought I would feel bad about her being dead, and yet...
- Stefan: She was your mother.
- Elena: Why did they let me go?
- Stefan: Well, anything John told Isobel, we have to assume that Klaus knows, right? So he knows that you're not gonna turn yourself into a vampire. He knows that you have us keeping you safe.
- Elena: He knows I'm not gonna run.
[Damon walks in.]
- Damon: Which is why we need to take some precautions, 'cause we got played, all of us.
[He puts some papers in her lap.]
- Elena: What's this?
- Stefan: It's the deed to our house. It's in Zach's name. As soon as you sign it, it'll be in your name.
- Elena: You're giving me your house?
- Stefan: Isobel had the right idea with the safe house. You'll just stay here till it's all over. That way, you can control who gets invited and who doesn't.
- Damon: Although I'll be super pissed if you lock me out.
[John suddenly gasps for air and sits up. Damon rushes over to him and lifts him up by his collar.]
- John: I swear I had no idea what she was gonna do. I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry.
- Elena: Damon, let him go. He and I need to talk.
[Jeremy is reading the grimoire. Bonnie is in the room with him.]
- Bonnie: I told you to not worry about that.
- Jeremy: A warning. That's all you felt like telling me? This is some kind of warning, Bonnie. It says if you use too much of your powers at once, it'll kill you. How much would it take to kill an Original?
- Bonnie: All of it.
- Jeremy: No. I'm not gonna let you do that.
- Bonnie: Jeremy, do you think I was born with these powers so I could float feathers and blow out candles? There's a reason I was called to do this.
- Jeremy: No one's called to get themselves killed. Plus Elena's not gonna let you die for her.
- Bonnie: That's why you're not gonna tell her.
- Jeremy: Do you even understand what you're saying right now?
- Bonnie: It's not just for Elena, Jeremy. It's for you. It's for everyone. If I am the only one who can put an end to this, then it'll be my decision, no one else's. Mine.
[She leaves. Jeremy slams his notebook on the table.]
[It's nighttime. Matt walks and enters Sheriff Forbes's squad car which is parked on the street. He talks to her.]
- Matt: I did it. I drank that vervain stuff. I went over there, and I got her to tell me everything. Then I asked her to take it away.
- Sheriff Forbes: Thank you, Matt. I know this isn't easy, but...I'm glad you told me what happened last night. I want you to tell me everything she said.
- Matt: I feel like she died.
- Sheriff Forbes: Oh, she did.
Salvatore Boarding House
[John and Elena are talking.]
- John: I always knew that she and Katherine were close, but I never realized that Isobel and her were working against me. Two of the world's most uncaring and selfish vampires, and yet they were genuinely friends.
- Elena: If that's what you thought of her, why did you ever put your trust in her at all?
- John: Because I was there when she gave birth to you, Elena. I saw how heartbroken she was to give you up. And because she was the first girl I ever loved, and when she said she'd help keep you safe...I believed her. At this point, I will do whatever you want me to do. If you feel safer with me not around, then I'll go.
[She doesn't answer so he gets up. He looks sad.]
- Elena: You screw up everything, John. Everything you touch just falls apart. But you're the only parent I have left...so maybe I can learn not to hate you.
- John: Okay.
[Damon and Stefan are in the library.]
- Damon: Hey, Bonnie said the spell worked. She's locked and loaded.
- Stefan: At least something went right today. Katherine has no idea that Bonnie got her powers back.
- Damon: Uh-uh.
- Stefan: And Isobel had no idea what you and Jeremy took Bonnie to do today.
- Damon: Uh-uh.
- Stefan: We're the only ones who know.
- Damon: That literally makes Bonnie our secret weapon.
[Damon and Stefan raise their glasses of scotch and clink them together before drinking.]
[Katherine wakes up and sees the warlock casting a spell on someone sitting in a chair. There are two vases. One is full of blood; the other is empty and knocked over on its side. She starts to get up and sees that Elena's necklace is gone. It's Alaric that is in the chair. He opens his eyes and gets up. The warlock bends down in a bow. Katherine gets up slowly. Alaric turns around and sees her.]
- Maddox: Somno Ritum Per Dax Ritum, Somno Ritum Per Dax Ritum,Somno Ritum Per Dax Ritum
- Katherine: Alaric?
[A smile crosses Alaric's face. She rushes over to the door but an invisible force prevents her from exiting. Alaric slowly walks over to her and speaks in a Slavic accent.]
- Alaric: Zdravei, Katerina.
[He takes her face in his hands.]
- Alaric: I have missed you.
- Katherine: Klaus!
[Klaus smiles widely at her.]