|“||Right now, she doesn't remember anything. A part of her is still human, but slowly, the deeper she gets into the transition, the memories will start to come back, and then she'll know she has to make the choice.||”|
THE TRUTH CAN BE VERY, VERY DEADLY — Elena demands that Stefan explain the frightening events that have been happening in Mystic Falls. In a string of flashbacks, Stefan explains how his rivalry with Damon began back in the Civil War when they both met the love of their lives, Katherine, the vampire who sired both of them. In the present, Damon impulsively takes control of Vicki's future, and a confused and terrified Vicki runs away. Also, Sheriff Forbes, Mayor Lockwood and Logan and also the others take drastic steps to protect their town.
- Antagonists: Damon Salvatore (present), Logan Fell (present) and Katherine Pierce (past).
- This is the first flashback episode.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Katherine Pierce, but only through flashbacks to 1864.
- Elena learns the existence of vampires in this episode. She's also scared of Stefan at the beginning of this episode.
- Stefan explains to Elena the reality of vampires and its differences from the myths.
- Stefan and Damon's childhood home is seen for the first time in the 1864 flashback and the ruins of the house are seen in 2009 as this is where Stefan hid Damon's daylight ring. As revealed in A Bird In A Gilded Cage the house was still standing in 1903. In 2013 Lily will have hidden Elena's coffin at the ruins from Damon under a cloaking spell by Beau.
- Damon tells Stefan if he doesn't return his daylight ring, he'll hurt Elena.
- Elena asks Stefan if he ever compelled her. He tells her no and points to the necklace that he gave her in Friday Night Bites, stating that it protects her from compulsion. Stefan tells her he gave it to her both to protect her from other vampires and also so he wouldn't be tempted to compel her himself.
- This is the first episode where someone other than Damon is functioning as an antagonist; in this case, Logan Fell was the antagonist, acting as an extension of the Founder's Council.
- This marks the first corporeal appearance in the series of Katherine in the flashbacks to 1864. She is also revealed to be a vampire in this episode.
- Vicki becomes a vampire in this episode after dying with Damon's blood in her system. She ultimately completes the transition by feeding on Logan Fell after she was unable to resist his blood after he was killed by Damon. It was later revealed that Logan became a vampire himself in this episode after he unknowingly died with Anna's blood in his system, although this was not seen on-screen.
- Vicki is the first vampire to be seen being turned by Damon's blood in the TV series, though chronologically, it was not the first vampire he has been known to have sired; that title goes to Charlotte, who Damon turned in the 1940s when he was living in New Orleans.
- This episode marks the first time it is demonstrated that vampire blood can heal a human's wounds, as all of Vicki's bite marks disappeared after Damon fed her his blood. Though Damon didn't heal Caroline's wounds from his feeding from her ending up with Caroline having to wear scarves to cover up the bite marks.
- This is the first time Nina Dobrev portrays two characters (Elena Gilbert and Katherine Pierce) in the same episode.
- The flashback in this episode shows how Stefan and Katherine first meet.
- Vicki's birthday is revealed to be August 20, 1991.
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- Tony - drained of blood, killed by Damon Salvatore.
- Summer - drained of blood, killed by Damon Salvatore.
- Jared - drained of blood, killed by Damon Salvatore.
- Vicki Donovan - broken neck, killed by Damon Salvatore.
- Logan Fell - drained of blood, killed by Damon Salvatore.
- Kevin Williamson originally didn't want to include flashback episodes. However, Julie Plec brought him around to the idea, mainly because Nina Dobrev really wanted to portray Katherine Pierce.
- Caroline, Bonnie, Tyler and Jenna do not appear in this episode.
- This is the first episode of the series in which Caroline or Bonnie did not appear.
- This episode is Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder's all time favorite The Vampire Diaries episode. 
- First appearance of Katherine Pierce (flashback).
- The game of Rugby was developed in England in the mid 1800s, but officially did not arrive to the USA until 1869 – five years later than Damon supposedly learned it from a fellow soldier (History of Football).
- The Lost Boys is a 1987 comedy/horror film starring Kiefer Sutherland about two young Arizonan brothers who move to California and end up fighting a gang of teenage vampires. The title is a reference to the Lost Boys in J. M. Barrie's stories about Peter Pan and Neverland, where people remained forever young.
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 3.88 million viewers in USA, which was 0.36 million more than the previous episode.