|“||They're floating lanterns in the sky, can you believe that? A Japanese lantern is the symbol of letting go of the past. Well, here's a news flash: we're not Japanese! Do you know what they are? Children. Like lighting a candle is going to make everything okay or even saying a prayer or pretending Elena is not going to end up just like the rest of us murderous vampires. Stupid, delusional, exasperating, little children. I know what you're going to say: "It makes them feel better, Damon." So what? For how long? A minute, a day? What differences does it make? Because in the end, when you lose somebody; every candle, every prayer is not going to make up for the fact that the only thing that you have left is a hole in your life where that somebody that you cared about used to be.||”|
A NEW DANGER COMES TO TOWN — Elena tries to cope with the extreme highs and lows that are part of becoming a vampire, and Stefan and Damon almost come to blows while arguing about what is best for her. Damon decides to help Elena in his own way and asks her not to tell Stefan. A stranger, Connor Jordan, arrives in town and begins questioning Sheriff Forbes and Carol Lockwood. Connor’s actions quickly convince Stefan that they are dealing with a dangerous vampire hunter. Jeremy and Matt are shocked to see a girl they used to know, April, has returned to town and is enrolling at Mystic Falls High. At a town gathering, Elena comes close to losing control until Caroline steps in to help her. Finally, Damon confides his feelings to an unexpected friend.
- Antagonist: Connor Jordan.
- This is the final episode of the first chapter of Season Four, The Transition Chapter.
- This is the shortest chapter to date; spanning only two episodes.
- First appearance of April Young and Connor Jordan.
- Bonnie invites Stefan into her home for the first time.
- This is the first time that Mystic Falls Church is shown.
- Elena is kept from killing April Young by Caroline as her bloodlust overcomes her as she approaches April to help her.
- Elena compels a human for the first time as a vampire when she compels April to forget what happened to her at the memorial.
- Thanks to the explosion that killed the newly-reformed Town Council led by Pastor Young, Mayor Lockwood and Sheriff Forbes have resumed power in Mystic Falls. However, the Sheriff thinks there may has been more to the explosion than meets the eye and questions Damon to find out if he had anything to do with the council being blown up.
- Elena willingly exchanges blood with Damon for the first time. In the books, exchanging blood gives vampires sexual pleasure.
- Elena's first time feeding directly from a human in the books, is also Matt, just like how it occurred in this episode.
- All the deaths in the past months prompt the group to take a look back at all of those who have died, leading to a touching impromptu memorial and a nice surprise ending.
- Achilles Heel : a weak spot on an otherwise impenetrable defense. This is usually a deadly weakness that can lead to downfall. It refers to the mythical hero Achilles, who was invulnerable all over, except by his heel, where his mother held him while performing the magic that protected him. He survived many battles but died after being shot with an arrow to the heel.
- Bambi - an animated Disney movie about a baby deer growing up in the woods after the death of his mother. It is often used as synonym of baby deer.
- "Bunny diet " - how Damon refers to Stefan's diet of wild animal blood.
- Bloodlust - the craving for blood typical of vampires, which is especially overwhelming in recently-turned vampires who have yet to learn control.
- "Rip the proverbial band-aid " - a phrase that refers to the fact that if you rip off band-aid quickly, there will be a sharp pain, but it will quickly go away. However, if you try to slowly pull the band-aid off, it will be a less intense pain, but it will last much longer. In the end, most find it's preferable to rip the band-aid off to get it over with quickly.
- After feeding on a deer, Elena interrupts her make-out with Stefan to puke up blood - very similar to the scene between Sookie and Alcide in the episode "Let's Boot and Rally" of True Blood.
- Busybody - a name used to describe somebody who meddles into the affairs of others.
- Sky Lanterns are a Chinese invention. However, in Thailand, releasing a lantern is symbolic of problems and worries floating away. Because they have open flame and paper in their construction, they are a fire hazard and are banned in many countries.
- Pay it forward - the concept of asking the beneficiary of a good deed to repay it to others instead of the original benefactor. Although the concept is/was already in a Greek play published in 317 AD, it was popularized by the 2000 movie starring Haley Joel Osment.
- Pixie Cut - a really short haircut for women. Popularized in the 1950's by Audrey Hepburn in Sabrina .
- Grief Sex - It is said that only four things can counteract grief: sex, substance abuse, travel and hurting other people.
- Germaphobe - Any person who is obsessed with cleanliness and bacteria. Many of these people have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
- Environmental Cleanup - the removal of contaminants from the environment, usually to protect human health.
- A couple of days have passed since the events of Growing Pains. Damon implies this when he tells Stefan that Elena has been adjusting to being a vampire for days now.
- Alaric was last seen in The Departed. This is his second appearance as a ghost. Damon's insistence that the seat next to him is taken is a homage to his drinking buddy.
- Jamie was mentioned by Bonnie. He was last seen in Do Not Go Gentle.
- Zach Salvatore was mentioned by Stefan. He was killed by Damon in Season One's You're Undead to Me.
- Lexi was mentioned by Stefan. She was last seen in Ghost World.
- Vicki was mentioned by Matt and Jeremy. She was last seen in Smells Like Teen Spirit.
- Bill Forbes and Richard Lockwood were both mentioned by Caroline. Bill was last seen in Bringing Out the Dead. Richard was last seen in Founder's Day.
- Jenna was mentioned by Jeremy and Elena. She was last seen in The Departed via flashbacks.
- Anna was mentioned by Jeremy. She was last seen in Ghost World.
- Sheila Bennett was mentioned by Bonnie. She was last seen in Growing Pains.
- It is not certain whether Elena means her birth parents or adoptive parents, though it is possible that she meant both. Grayson and Miranda Gilbert were last seen in The Departed. John Gilbert was last seen in The Sun Also Rises, and Isobel Flemming was last seen in Know Thy Enemy.
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
Behind the Scenes
- This episode marks the first appearances of April Young and Connor Jordan.
- A scene with guns was deleted.
- According to Carina MacKenzie: The Memorial—which is, by the way, one of the 5 best "Vampire Diaries" [sic] episodes ever 
- The song "Firework" by Cameron E. was featured.
- This is the first episode of the series overall to not feature any of the Originals since Ghost World.
- Scenes featuring Rebekah may have been cut from the episode, because Claire Holt is still credited as guest despite the fact that she was not featured in the episode.
- This episode had about 2.91 million viewers in the USA, which was 0.27 million less than the previous episode.
- Hashtag during the airing is #HeightenedEmotions
- Damon: (to Connor) "What brings you to Mystic Falls? Bible salesman?"
- Damon: (to Connor) "We love visitors, and the scenery is to die for. (He gasps in shock) Funeral pun. Too soon. Sorry."
- Elena: (during the Town Council's eulogy) "The worst day of loving someone is the day that you... lose them."
- Damon: (to Stefan about Connor) "I think the risk will be slightly diminished when I, you know, rip his head off."
- Damon: (to Stefan regarding Connor) "You have ten seconds before I go old-fashioned on the new guy."
- Elena: (to Stefan) ' "I didn't lie... I just didn't tell you."
- Elena: (to Stefan) "I feel like I've been crying since the day that my parents died... and my life... is like a never ending funeral."
- Damon: "You're a vampire, Elena. Be a vampire."
- Stefan: "Everything is heightened. Sight, smell, taste, touch."
- Damon: (sing-songs) "Making a big mistake."
- Stefan: "No, I'm not. If I can get Elena used to animal blood right out the gates..."
- Damon: "You're reaching."
- Stefan: "Maybe she would be able to bypass all the things that we went through."
- Damon: "Delusional!"
- Stefan: "Maybe she actually has a shot at this."
- Damon: "Wrong. You're just wrong, Stefan!"
- Stefan: "She won't be able to handle it when she hurts someone, Damon. Her compassion is her Achilles heel, and everything is magnified right now."
- Damon: "You better hope that she's not a fan of Bambi."
- Elena: "Did you set up the explosion that killed the Town Council?"
- Damon: "Am I wearing my, 'I blew up the Council,' T-shirt?"
- Damon: (to Alaric's headstone) "You know what they are? Children. Like lighting a candle's going to make everything okay, or even saying a prayer. Or pretending Elena's not going to end up just like the rest of us murdering vampires. Stupid, delusional, exasperating little children. And I know what you're going to say: 'It makes them feel better, Damon.' So what? For how long? A minute? A day? What difference does it make? Because in the end, when you lose somebody, every candle, every prayer is not going to make up for the fact that the only thing that you have left is a hole in your life where that somebody that you cared about used to be. And a rock with a birthday carved into it... that I'm pretty sure is wrong. So thanks, friend. Thanks for leaving me here to babysit. Because I should be long gone by now. I didn't get the girl, remember? I'm just stuck here fighting my brother and taking care of the kids. You owe me big."
- Alaric: (as a ghost) "I miss you too, buddy."