|“||No, you can't scare me off.||”|
A GALA SO BLOODY, YOU'LL BE WEARING RED — At the Founder's Day Gala, Elena and Caroline compete for the title of 'Miss Mystic Falls' against some of the other girls from town, including Tina Fell and Amber Bradley. Elena is happy to have Bonnie back in town, but Bonnie still has issues to work through. John Gilbert attempts to intimidate Damon, but his plan doesn't have the desired effect. Damon discovers that Stefan is hiding a dangerous secret that could impact everyone in town.
- Antagonist : Stefan Salvatore.
- This is the only episode in the series in which Mystic Falls appears in the title. It's also the first Miss Mystic Falls Pageant we see in the series; we will not see another Miss Mystic Falls event until Season Four's My Brother's Keeper.
- Bonnie returns in this episode. This is her first appearance since Fool Me Once.
- Anna mentions the first Miss Mystic Falls pageant in 1864. This event is seen in Season Two in the episode, Memory Lane, in which Katherine was in the Miss Mystic Court and was escorted by Stefan.
- In this episode, it's revealed that Stefan is back on human blood. Elena sees for the first time a hint of 'Ripper Stefan.'
- Elena admits that her mother, Miranda Sommers-Gilbert, wanted her to be a part of the Miss Mystic Falls pageant, and reveals that Miranda was also Miss Mystic Falls "back in her day."
- Caroline wins the 2010 Miss Mystic Falls pageant.
- April Young would win the pageant the following year.
- The scene in which Damon waits for Elena at the bottom of the stairs and the scene where he takes over as Elena's dance partner would parallel the Season Four episode My Brother's Keeper.
- Also in My Brother's Keeper, Elena recalls her dance with Damon seen in this episode.
- This scene is really the first time we see a romantic spark between Damon & Elena. Up to this point Elena had been wary around him, but the trust is growing between the pair and as a result, sparks fly on the dance floor.
- In Yellow Ledbetter, Elena reveals to Alaric that this is the moment she first realized how "sexy" Damon was. After Elena asks Alaric to erase her memories of loving Damon to help her move on from his "death," Alaric uses his compulsion to alter the memory of this moment. He then makes her believe that Stefan ditched her, and that she was humiliated in front of everyone.
- During their dance in Do You Remember the First Time?, Damon informs Elena of the truth of the moment, specifically that he jumped in and acted as her escort when it became clear that Stefan had bailed on her. He also added that even though Elena was mostly worried about Stefan, there was a moment when "everything just fell away" while they were dancing, and they had a "moment" together.
- This is first episode in which Bonnie uses her pain infliction witch ability on a vampire; she uses it on Stefan in order to get him to stop feeding on Amber.
- Elena uses one of Alaric's vervain darts to subdue Stefan, and then she and Damon lock him in the cellar to detox him from human blood.
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- Star Wars - the phrase 'There is a disturbance in the Force,' means that something went really, really wrong.
- Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde, a character from the 1886 novella, [The] Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, by Robert Louis Stevenson.
- Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, a 1972 children's book by American writer Judith Viorst.
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 3.33 million viewers in USA, which was 0.18 million more than the previous episode.
- Sheriff Forbes: "There was a disturbance at the hospital blood bank last night. Some of the supply was compromised."
- Damon: "Compromised? You mean stolen?"
- Sheriff Forbes: "We almost missed it. The inventory records were altered, but when the night manager was questioned, he had no recollection of changing it."
- John: "Meaning the vampire who stole the blood used mind control to hide the theft."
- Damon: (annoyed) "I know what she means."
- Damon (referring to the blood Stefan stole): "Well, well... he's a liar and a thief. So, when were you gonna share?"
- Stefan: "Go ahead. Help yourself."
- Damon: "No, no, I'm talking about the fact that you're a closet blood-junkie."
- Stefan: "So, I'm drinking blood again. You're the one that shoved it on me. What's your problem? I have it under control."
- Damon: "Under control? You robbed a hospital!"
- Bonnie: "Listen, Elena-- I can't just pretend like everything is okay. Everything my Grams did was to protect us from those vampires from the tomb. And now they're out, which means she died for nothing."
- Elena: "I'm so sorry, Bonnie. What can I do to make it better?"
- Bonnie: "That's just it. There's nothing you can do. I blame him, Elena-- him and Damon-- and I'm not going to put you in a situation where you have to choose sides."
- Damon: "John Gilbert thinks your mom stole an artifact from Johnathan, Sr. back in 1864."
- Anna: "What are you, his errand boy?"
- Damon: "I don't know what it is, but I don't want him to have it."
- John: "You look miserable."
- Jeremy: "Are there really a whole month of these events that I'm supposed to show up at?"
- John: "You can fight it if you want, but it's part of being a Gilbert."
- Jeremy: "Yeah, you uh... you mentioned you know a lot about the family. Do you know anything about our ancestor, Johnathan Gilbert?"
- John: "Prolific writer, crazy inventor. Why do you ask?"
- Jeremy: "Well, I read his journal."
- John: "Is that right?"
- Jeremy: "Yeah, uh I actually found it in all of Dad's stuff."
- John: "A little surprising, most of them are locked away."
- Jeremy: "There's more of them?"
- John: "Johnathan Gilbert journaled his whole life... right down to the bitter insane drunken end. The guy had a lot of demons."
- Damon: "Stefan's still drinking human blood."
- Elena: (stunned) "What?"
- Damon: "Yeah. A month ago, I would've rejoiced. But, with the Council back on the alert, it is not a good time for Stefan to fly off the handle."
- Elena: "I know he's been a little edgy, but he said that was normal."
- Damon: "He has a fridge full of stolen blood bank contraband in the house."
- Elena: "Oh, my god..."
- Damon: "He has no idea what normal is-- his entire existence isn't normal. Normal to a vampire is drinking human blood. But, he spent all this time fighting it when he should've been learning how to control it. And now, it's controlling him instead."
- Stefan: "I was gonna tell you."
- Elena: "When?"
- Stefan: "I'm fine. I'm fine. The blood, it doesn't change anything."
- Elena: "It's changing you."
- Stefan: "Why? Because I kept it a secret from you? Come on, Elena. Look, given the way that you're reacting right now, can you really blame me for doing that?"
- Elena: "Are you hearing yourself right now? You've been stealing blood and lying. And you say that everything's fine? Everything's not fine, Stefan."
- Anna: "What are you going to do now? Now that you know everything that she's been hiding from you?"
- Jeremy: "I don't know. There's a part of me that's so angry... that she covered up what happened to Vicki and erased my memories, but... there's also this other part of me that's glad. I—I don't want to remember Vicki like that."
- Anna: "As a monster?"
- Jeremy: "No, as someone who wanted to hurt me."
- Anna: "When I met you, you were just a part of my plan to get my mother back. But then, things changed. All the time we spent together... I would never do anything to hurt you. Not now. You know that, right?"
- Jeremy: "Yeah, I know that."
- Stefan: "I don't hurt people. I don't do that. I'm the good brother."
- Amber Bradley: "Do you want to hurt me?"
- Stefan: "I want to kill you. I want to rip into your skin, and I want to feed on your blood.
- (He looks at the carotid artery throbbing in her neck and touches it with his fingertips as though he's mesmerized)
- Stefan: Under your skin... pulsating... flowing... your carotid artery right there. If you puncture this just right, you can control the blood flow. It takes practice, but it doesn't have to make a mess. So, you don't have to waste any."
- Amber Bradley: "What's stopping you?"
- Stefan: "If I do this-- if I give in-- there's no going back."
- Amber Bradley: "Then don't."
- Stefan: "I just want one taste... that's all I need... just one taste."