|“||Stefan Salvatore in the Crescent City. This ought to be very good, or entertainingly bad.||”|
AN EXCITING CROSSOVER WITH THE ORIGINALS — In order to lure a vengeful vampire hunter named Rayna Cruz away from his friends in Mystic Falls, Stefan heads to New Orleans, where Valerie has learned of a safe house that can protect him. Once there, he comes face to face with Klaus Mikaelson, who soon becomes suspicious of his old friend’s unexpected arrival in his city. Meanwhile, Enzo, who is working on behalf of a mysterious organization called The Armory, approaches Damon and Bonnie with a plan that could protect Stefan from Rayna. Finally, after learning that Alaric has decided to leave for Dallas with the twins immediately, Caroline offers to accompany them on the trip and finds herself contemplating her own future in Mystic Falls. Matt also appears.
Special Guest Stars
- Anatagonists: Rayna Cruz and Enzo
- This is part of a two-hour crossover event with The Originals - A Streetcar Named Desire.
- In the 3 years from now Caroline arrives at the bar and asks for Klaus only to learn from Sylvia that no one has seen Klaus for 3 years. It's not revealed if he is still alive or if he just left New Orleans after the events of The Originals Season 3 long Prophecy/Sire Line War arc which will resolve during the finale in May.
- Enzo learns that his father started The Armory and that's where they are. Also, Alex is a distant relative of his.
- More of Enzo's history prior to him becoming a vampire is revealed including that he was 27 in 1903 when Lily turned him meaning that he was born in 1876 at the least.
- This is the first time Stefan has seen Klaus since he left for New Orleans in Season Four.
- Alex St. John takes Nora and Mary Louise prisoner with the help of two males vampires hunters who shoot them both with vervain darts. She tracked them down by GPS via phone.
- This is the sixth episode this season to feature all the main cast members.
- Klaus finds out about the siphoner twins and the Heretics and also learns that Alaric was resurrected from The Other Side before its collapsion in Home.
- It's revealed that Klaus knows Rayna and had dealt with her years before he left New Orleans in 1919.
- Damon after nearly losing Bonnie realizes he must remove himself from the world before someone dies trying to help him. This is the moment Damon decided to desiccate himself and to be revived only when his girlfriend Elena wakes up after hopefully Bonnie's natural death in 60 years.
- This is the only full moon episode of the season.
- This is the third time New Orleans is seen in TVD both Season 4 episodes. The first being in We'll Always Have Bourbon Street where Stefan and Damon go there to find a way to break Elena's sire bond to Damon. While the second visit that season was in the episode The Originals, which was used as backdoor pilot for the TO series
- It has been four months since the events of Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me, according to Enzo since he was captured by The Armory in that episode.
- Niklaus Mikaelson was last seen in TVD's 100th episode 500 Years of Solitude, which featured a dying Katherine Pierce who would end up possessing her doppelgänger Elena Gilbert. He was also last seen in an archive footage in The Devil Inside.
- Matt Donovan was last seen in Postcards from the Edge.
- Tyler Lockwood was last seen in Things We Lost in the Fire.
- Elena Gilbert was mentioned multiple times. She was last seen as a hallucination of Damon's in Things We Lost in the Fire and was last mentioned in This Woman's Work.
- Josette Laughlin was mentioned by Alaric. She was last seen in I'll Wed You in the Golden Summertime. Her body was last seen possessed by Florence in Best Served Cold and Jo's corpse was last seen after Florence died in the same episode. Jo was also seen in a wedding tape in the same episode.
- Elizabeth Forbes was mentioned. She died from cancer in Stay. She was last seen in Because through flashbacks and hallucinations.
- Hope Mikaelson is mentioned in this episode. Her heartbeat was heard in the backdoor pilot and she was last seen in Wild at Heart and in Dead Angels on TO through archive footage.
- Camille O'Connell, Aurora de Martel and Hayley Marshall-Kenner were indirectly mentioned by Klaus in this episode. They were last seen in Heart Shaped Box on TO.
- Freya Mikaelson is mentioned by Klaus in this episode. She was last seen in Heart Shaped Box on TO. She was first referenced in TVD by Elijah in Klaus and last mentioned in Ordinary People.
- Elijah Mikaelson is mentioned by Stefan and Klaus in this episode. He was last seen in 500 Years of Solitude as a hallucination and in The Devil Inside through archive footage in TVD and in Heart Shaped Box in TO.
- Rebekah Mikaelson, Finn Mikaelson and Kol Mikaelson were indirectly mentioned by Stefan in this episode.
- Lily Salvatore, Beau, Oscar and Malcolm are mentioned by Mary Louise. Lily was last seen in a flashback/hallucination in Hell Is Other People, Beau was last seen in This Woman's Work, Oscar was last seen in I Carry Your Heart With Me and Malcolm was last seen in Day One of Twenty-Two Thousand, Give or Take.
- New Orleans, Louisiana
- Gas Station
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- Grove Hill, Virginia
- McKinley, Virginia
- Gas Station
- Diner outside Mystic Falls
- Dallas, Texas
Behind the Scenes
- This episode crossovers with A Streetcar Named Desire.
- Joseph Morgan and Michael Trevino are billed as "Special Guest Stars."
- Hashtag during the airing is #KlefanReunion
- "Moonlight Dancin' on the Bayou" is a song by American southern rock band Molly Hatchet, released on May 24, 2005, two months after former singer Danny Joe Brown died from complications of pneumonia.
- Damon: "I have a way to take down Rayna."
- Enzo (To Bonnie and Damon): "All we need to do is get Stefan here, Rayna will follow. A rat to the cheese."
- Stefan: "Klaus. As I live and breathe."
- Klaus: "Stefan Salvatore in the Crescent City. This ought to be very good, or entertainingly bad."
- Stefan: "I'm just in town for a little R & R. Hate to disappoint. So... How are Elijah, and, uh, whoever else you've brought back from the dead?
- Klaus: "Oh, you know the Mikaelsons. Never a dull moment."
- Klaus: "So, of all the gin joints, you pick ours... Four walls invulnerable to the magic of those pesky locator spells. Bit of a coincidence, isn't it?"
- Stefan: "Damon's looking for me, and I don't want to be found. I figure you, of all people, can relate to family drama."
- Klaus: "Sylvia, this is an old friend. Please keep his cup brimming."
- Sylvia: "Mmm. Cute old friend. Where have you been hiding him?"
- Klaus: "Quaint little place called Mystic Falls. Home of the mining fires that prompted a town-wide evacuation. It was very noble of you to stand up for the human faction as you did, in such uncharacteristically sweeping, dramatic fashion."
- Stefan: "I did have some help."
- Damon: "Where's Stefan?"
- Valerie: "Safe. Though, I suppose that could mean anywhere outside of your vicinity."
- Damon: "You know he has a girlfriend, right? Blonde, sweet, cute as a button. You're not actually her."
- Valerie: "I'm hanging up now."
- Damon: "You don't want to do that. I have a way to take down Rayna, but it requires him to come to me."
- Valerie: "Well, that might take a while. He's in New Orleans."
- Damon: "Doubtful. We only go to New Orleans for crappy booze and Klaus blood."
- Valerie: "There's a bar there. The St. James Infirmary. It's considered a safe house for supernatural travelers. Oscar came upon it when he was looking for the Phoenix Stone."
- Damon: "Fine. Just tell him to pack it up, huff it back to Virginia to a pile of bricks called The Armory."
- Valerie: "Did you just say "The Armory?"
- Damon: "Yes, I did. As a matter of fact, I've said that word more times today than I have in my entire life."
- Valerie: "Get out of there, Damon. Now."
- Damon: "Why?"
- Valerie: "The Armory is a black hole of lies. They once tricked us into using Beau as bait in exactly the same fashion use Stefan. And they were more than happy to let Rayna bury her sword in his heart as long as they could put her in one of their cages. I promise you, they will do the same to Stefan."
- Damon: 'Well, I don't have another option at the moment, Valerie."
- Valerie: "Yeah? Well, whose fault is that? Look, the best way you can help Stefan is to keep your mouth shut and stop making things worse."
- Stefan: "I wish I could be there. This is the only way I could stop her."
- Caroline: "I just wish it didn't always have to be you."
- Stefan: "I promise I will come back for you."
- Caroline (To Alaric): "I can either sit here, alone, freaking out that my boyfriend is somewhere in this country trying to outrun a huntress that will stop at nothing to kill him, or I can be useful. It's up to you."