|“||Stefan Salvatore in the Crescent City. This ought to be very good, or entertainingly bad.||”|
AN EXCITING CROSSOVER WITH THE ORIGINALS — In order to lure a vengeful vampire hunter named Rayna Cruz away from his friends in Mystic Falls, Stefan heads to New Orleans, where Valerie has learned of a safe house that can protect him. Once there, he comes face to face with Klaus Mikaelson, who soon becomes suspicious of his old friend's unexpected arrival in his city. Meanwhile, Enzo, who is working on behalf of a mysterious organization called The Armory, approaches Damon and Bonnie with a plan that could protect Stefan from Rayna. Finally, after learning that Alaric has decided to leave for Dallas with the twins immediately, Caroline offers to accompany them on the trip and finds herself contemplating her own future in Mystic Falls. Matt also appears.
Flash Forward: Caroline walks into a bar in New Orleans, holding the hands of her daughters as she explains to her tiny children, "All right girls, you know what this is? It's a bar." Caroline is greeted with the news that "nobody's seen or heard from that man in three years."
Present Day: Stefan is on his way to New Orleans — Valerie is guiding him to the magical safe house that was established in The Originals' second season to protect everyone from Dahlia. But when Stefan makes a pit stop to get a phone charger, Rayna shows up and chases Stefan off.
Elsewhere, Bonnie is at Damon's side as he tries to find a way to save his brother. It seems Bonnie promised Caroline that she'd make sure Damon didn't make things even worse for his baby bro. Arriving at The Armory, Bonnie and Damon are greeted by Enzo, who explains that The Armory is home to a society of supernatural artifact collectors who've taken great care to keep themselves out of the history books. And because Rayna Cruz is "one of the supernatural wonders of the world," they've recruited Enzo to find her … in exchange for information about his family. The plan is simple: Get Stefan to The Armory, and when Rayna follows, they'll lock her up. Bonnie and Damon are in.
Ric also decides it's time to hit the road. But this time, he's leaving Mystic Falls for good. Seeing his baby girls for the first time made him realize that he's got to get out of town for them. He's moving to Dallas today and Caroline's going with him thanks to her vampire healing powers, she's all good to check out.
In New Orleans, Stefan arrives at the safe house/bar when Klaus slides him a shot, a callback to their time together in Chicago in the 1920's. Klaus then gives us this wonderfully meta line about the crossover: "Stefan Salvatore in the Crescent City. This ought to be good or entertainingly bad."
Catching up with Klaus, Stefan claims he chose a location that's invulnerable to magic because he doesn't want Damon to be able to find him. After all, "I figure you of all people can relate to family drama.
Knowing Stefan and Caroline better than he knows himself, Klaus quickly mentions the "mining fires" that prompted a town wide evacuation in Mystic Falls. Commenting on how noble it was of Stefan to save the humans, Klaus also calls out the fact that Stefan did it "in such uncharacteristically sweeping dramatic fashion." When Stefan mentions that he had help, Klaus quickly says, "How is Caroline?"
Caroline's currently stuck in a "bell jar of baby noises" on the road with Alaric while Matt and Valerie work together to try to track down Stefan. As for Valerie's "siblings," we catch up with Mary Louise and Nora at a gas station just long enough to get some witty banter about death by salt and a brief moment of re-connection before The Armory shows up and captures them both.
Valerie updates Damon and warns him to get away from The Armory. It seems they tried the same plan with Beau years ago, except they were more than willing to let Rayna kill Beau to get what they wanted.
Heading back inside The Armory, where Enzo is telling Bonnie his sob story no family, dead by 27 and whatnot Damon grabs Bonnie. It's time to leave. After all, Enzo has betrayed them before, not to mention that "Stefan's 1863 siphon crush" is telling Damon that The Armory is full of shady folk. Spoiler: She's right. Enzo knocks both Damon and Bonnie out.
By the time Damon wakes up, he's in a cell next to Tyler Lockwood, who survived Damon's attack, but only barely. The poor guy is in a coma, and they're waiting for the full moon in the hopes that his transition will stir him awake. Apparently, Tyler is another consultant for The Armory. In fact, he's the one that called them about Enzo when Enzo was making trouble for Matt. But instead of killing Enzo, The Armory enlisted him. And now Damon's locked in a cell with Lockwood … on a full moon.
Enzo updates Bonnie on the situation, telling her that he's locked up her, "bestie, your sidekick, your humanity project, the man who spins your moral compass in a tizzy." And unless Damon gives up Stefan's location, he's a dead man. As for Bonnie, well, her magic is no good thanks to something Enzo injected her with that puts her on a "magical timeout." As he tells her, "Feel free to dispense with the menacing posture."
Back in the cell, Damon's informing the Tyler that he might get his shot at revenge very soon. Tyler warns Damon that if he turns, Damon's as good as dead, to which Damon says, "You don't think I know that, Copernicus? Once bitten, twice shy." But Damon's not interested in killing Tyler now that he knows Elena's alive. And Tyler, taking a stance, calls him out on the fact that if Elena were dead, would he kill him "because you have no one else to be accountable to?" It seems time has made Tyler both wise and sassy.
Long story short, Damon's attempts to slow Tyler's transition don't work, so Damon quickly calls his brother in an attempt to ensure that Stefan get his hands on some Klaus blood while he's in New Orleans. Because there's a good chance Damon will need it.
Although, not if Bonnie can help it. After Enzo shares with her that he wants someone whose first instinct is to help him no matter what he's done — much like Bonnie's instinct is to help Damon regardless of what he did to Tyler — Bonnie knocks Enzo out and uses his hand to scan herself in to see Damon.
Klaus, who's all caught up on the baby situation when he points out the one thing Stefan and Caroline have both been too scared to admit: There's no way Caroline is going to have two children and then abandon them. Of course, Klaus puts it much more elegantly.
Avoiding the topic, Stefan asks for Klaus' blood when his Rayna scar starts to bleed through his shirt. Recognizing the scar immediately, Klaus is pissed. Apparently, Rayna Cruz was born in New Orleans and terrorized the city for many years, even killing some of Klaus' best men. He claims she'll pursue you until paranoia and despair outweigh the desire to live. And no, he doesn't have a way to help Stefan.
Naturally, Klaus is less than pleased that Stefan drew the huntress to the town where his family resides. If Stefan leaves, Rayna will kill him. And if he stays, Klaus will. In a moment so reminiscent of Klaus screaming "Turn it off" at Stefan in season 3, Klaus yells at him to "Get out." And Stefan does just that, in such a hurry in fact that he leaves behind his phone. And when Caroline calls Klaus takes the opportunity with his "Hello, love.
It takes Caroline a second to register what's happening, but when she does, Klaus gives her a bit of parenting advice before she tells him the babies aren't hers. Yes, he knows. Stefan made that very clear.
Realizing that Caroline is in the middle of a freak out, Klaus decides to be helpful: He promises Stefan will be safe. Because "I will ensure it." Then, in a moment that might kill all the Klaroline shippers, he references her season 5 speech to him — nearly word for word! — about how she's now in college, building a life for herself, planning a future, etc. Caroline admits that children weren't part of her plan, but when she mentions again that they're not her kids, Klaus proves his wisdom. He tells her that his family might challenge the bounds of his sanity, "but as it turns out, my family is what makes me truly happy. It's not a crime to love what you cannot explain," he tells her.
Then, he follows that with a heartfelt, "I was sorry to hear about your mother, Caroline," which only makes me cry harder. But when baby finally falls asleep on Caroline's chest, Klaus knows the conversation has to end. His final words, "Goodbye, Caroline." Caroline, on the other hand, simply hangs up … perhaps left feeling a little speechless at the realization that she doesn't intend to leave those babies behind?
Back in Damon's cell, Tyler breaks free and is sassier than ever. After Damon says he's refusing to give up Stefan's location because his brother has a "bad habit" of taking a bullet for Damon, Tyler claims that him killing Damon might be great for everyone else because "nobody will ever have to take a bullet for you again." Tyler knows that Damon won't kill him because if he did, Elena would dump him. But as Tyler explains, if it's not Tyler, it's going to be somebody else. There no way Damon's lasting 60 years "without royally screwing up." And if Bonnie opens that door, she'll die too. "Your friends, my friends, they'll keep risking their lives trying to save you until they're all dead."
Taking that to heart, Damon tries to stop Bonnie — who just took things to a whole new level and chopped of Enzo's hand to save him — from rescuing him, but she opens the door anyway. And as a result, she ends up with some serious head trauma before Tyler runs off.
we started the season, when Damon was willing to hesitate for three whole seconds before saving Bonnie's life. And now? Hesitation isn't even on the table. The bad news, however, is that whatever Enzo injected her with prevents magic, and the healing power of vampire blood falls into the magical category. So with that, Damon takes Bonnie to the hospital.
Damon's plan is to wait until whatever Enzo gave her is out of her system, and then he will heal her. He then tells her, "You are a terrible friend." After all, if she'd died, Damon would've had to have gone through some serious guilt and self-loathing, "not to mention the resentment I'd feel if I was forced to break in a new drinking buddy."
Making a decision, Damon explains, "You're not supposed to die for me, Bon. Neither is my brother." But because he knows neither of them will stop trying, he has to take himself out of the equation. He tells her it all ends tomorrow. "You never have to worry about me again." In other words, Damon's about to desiccate himself.
Back at The Armory, Enzo wakes up with his hand in tact, but just as he's about to storm out, mysterious Armory woman informs him that his father founded The Armory. Furthermore, she claims that her name is Alexandria St. John that she's his family. Sister? Cousin? We're not sure yet.
In Dallas, Caroline sets Alaric up with a beautiful home, a nanny, and gets him an appointment with an electrician … but she still can't make herself leave. She asks to stay the night, to which he responds that she can stay as long as she wants.
Getting back to New Orleans, Stefan doesn't get far out of town – he literally only makes it to the bayou — before Rayna catches him. Thankfully, Klaus made a promise to Caroline, so he shows up and (temporarily) kills Rayna long enough to get Stefan out of werewolf territory on a full moon.
Driving back home, Klaus asks if Caroline loves Stefan. Stefan wonders if Klaus still has feelings for her, to which he says, "I have far too many complicated women in my life already." But when Klaus suspects Stefan got the scar from protecting Caroline, Stefan admits it was from protecting Damon. "Then let her go, Stefan," Klaus says. "Let her go or spend an eternity sacrificing everything good you have with her for your brother. Believe me, I've spent an eternity watching Elijah do the same for me."
Look at the end of season 2, when Katherine told Elena, "He just sacrificed everything to save his brother, including you." Look at season 3 when Elena told Damon that, "I think that you're gonna be the one to save him from himself. It won't be because he loves me. It will be because he loves you." Or even season 6, when Stefan told Caroline that in the end, he needed Damon more than he needed Elena.
Stefan Salvatore with Klaus is currently headed back to New Orleans to see a witch.
Special Guest Stars
- Anatagonists: Rayna Cruz and Enzo
- This is part of a two-hour crossover event with The Originals - A Streetcar Named Desire.
- In the 3 years from now Caroline arrives at the bar and asks for Klaus only to learn from Sylvia that no one has seen Klaus for 3 years. It's not revealed if he is still alive or if he just left New Orleans after the events of The Originals Season 3 long Prophecy/Sire Line War arc which will resolve during the finale in May.
- Enzo learns that his father started The Armory and that's where they are. Also, Alex is a distant relative of his.
- More of Enzo's history prior to him becoming a vampire is revealed including that he was 27 in 1903 when Lily turned him meaning that he was born in 1876 at the least.
- This is the first time Stefan has seen Klaus since he left for New Orleans in Season Four.
- Alex St. John takes Nora and Mary Louise prisoner with the help of two males vampires hunters who shoot them both with vervain darts. She tracked them down by GPS via phone.
- This is the sixth episode this season to feature all the main cast members.
- Klaus finds out about the siphoner twins and the Heretics and also learns that Alaric was resurrected from The Other Side before its collapsion in Home.
- It's revealed that Klaus knows Rayna and had dealt with her years before he left New Orleans in 1919.
- Damon after nearly losing Bonnie realizes he must remove himself from the world before someone dies trying to help him. This is the moment Damon decided to desiccate himself and to be revived only when his girlfriend Elena wakes up after hopefully Bonnie's natural death in 60 years.
- This is the only full moon episode of the season.
- This is the third time New Orleans is seen in TVD both Season 4 episodes. The first being in We'll Always Have Bourbon Street where Stefan and Damon go there to find a way to break Elena's sire bond to Damon. While the second visit that season was in the episode The Originals, which was used as backdoor pilot for the TO series
- It has been four months since the events of Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me, according to Enzo since he was captured by The Armory in that episode.
- Niklaus Mikaelson was last seen in TVD's 100th episode 500 Years of Solitude, which featured a dying Katherine Pierce who would end up possessing her doppelgänger Elena Gilbert. He was also last seen in an archive footage in The Devil Inside.
- Matt Donovan was last seen in Postcards from the Edge.
- Tyler Lockwood was last seen in Things We Lost in the Fire.
- Elena Gilbert was mentioned multiple times. She was last seen as a hallucination of Damon's in Things We Lost in the Fire and was last mentioned in This Woman's Work.
- Josette Laughlin was mentioned by Alaric. She was last seen in I'll Wed You in the Golden Summertime. Her body was last seen possessed by Florence in Best Served Cold and Jo's corpse was last seen after Florence died in the same episode. Jo was also seen in a wedding tape in the same episode.
- Elizabeth Forbes was mentioned. She died from cancer in Stay. She was last seen in Because through flashbacks and hallucinations.
- Hope Mikaelson is mentioned in this episode. Her heartbeat was heard in the backdoor pilot and she was last seen in Wild at Heart and in Dead Angels on TO through archive footage.
- Camille O'Connell, Aurora de Martel and Hayley Marshall-Kenner were indirectly mentioned by Klaus in this episode. They were last seen in Heart Shaped Box on TO.
- Freya Mikaelson is mentioned by Klaus in this episode. She was last seen in Heart Shaped Box on TO. She was first referenced in TVD by Elijah in Klaus and last mentioned in Ordinary People.
- Elijah Mikaelson is mentioned by Stefan and Klaus in this episode. He was last seen in 500 Years of Solitude as a hallucination and in The Devil Inside through archive footage in TVD and in Heart Shaped Box in TO.
- Rebekah Mikaelson, Finn Mikaelson and Kol Mikaelson were indirectly mentioned by Stefan in this episode.
- Lily Salvatore, Beau, Oscar and Malcolm are mentioned by Mary Louise. Lily was last seen in a flashback/hallucination in Hell Is Other People, Beau was last seen in This Woman's Work, Oscar was last seen in I Carry Your Heart With Me and Malcolm was last seen in Day One of Twenty-Two Thousand, Give or Take.
- New Orleans, Louisiana
- Gas Station
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- Grove Hill, Virginia
- McKinley, Virginia
- Gas Station
- Diner outside Mystic Falls
- Dallas, Texas
Behind the Scenes
- This episode crossovers with A Streetcar Named Desire.
- Joseph Morgan and Michael Trevino are billed as "Special Guest Stars."
- Hashtag during the airing is #KlefanReunion
- "Moonlight Dancin' on the Bayou" is a song by American southern rock band Molly Hatchet, released on May 24, 2005, two months after former singer Danny Joe Brown died from complications of pneumonia.
- Damon: "I have a way to take down Rayna."
- Enzo (To Bonnie and Damon): "All we need to do is get Stefan here, Rayna will follow. A rat to the cheese."
- Stefan: "Klaus. As I live and breathe."
- Klaus: "Stefan Salvatore in the Crescent City. This ought to be very good, or entertainingly bad."
- Stefan: "I'm just in town for a little R & R. Hate to disappoint. So... How are Elijah, and, uh, whoever else you've brought back from the dead?
- Klaus: "Oh, you know the Mikaelsons. Never a dull moment."
- Klaus: "So, of all the gin joints, you pick ours... Four walls invulnerable to the magic of those pesky locator spells. Bit of a coincidence, isn't it?"
- Stefan: "Damon's looking for me, and I don't want to be found. I figure you, of all people, can relate to family drama."
- Klaus: "Sylvia, this is an old friend. Please keep his cup brimming."
- Sylvia: "Mmm. Cute old friend. Where have you been hiding him?"
- Klaus: "Quaint little place called Mystic Falls. Home of the mining fires that prompted a town-wide evacuation. It was very noble of you to stand up for the human faction as you did, in such uncharacteristically sweeping, dramatic fashion."
- Stefan: "I did have some help."
- Damon: "Where's Stefan?"
- Valerie: "Safe. Though, I suppose that could mean anywhere outside of your vicinity."
- Damon: "You know he has a girlfriend, right? Blonde, sweet, cute as a button. You're not actually her."
- Valerie: "I'm hanging up now."
- Damon: "You don't want to do that. I have a way to take down Rayna, but it requires him to come to me."
- Valerie: "Well, that might take a while. He's in New Orleans."
- Damon: "Doubtful. We only go to New Orleans for crappy booze and Klaus blood."
- Valerie: "There's a bar there. The St. James Infirmary. It's considered a safe house for supernatural travelers. Oscar came upon it when he was looking for the Phoenix Stone."
- Damon: "Fine. Just tell him to pack it up, huff it back to Virginia to a pile of bricks called The Armory."
- Valerie: "Did you just say "The Armory?"
- Damon: "Yes, I did. As a matter of fact, I've said that word more times today than I have in my entire life."
- Valerie: "Get out of there, Damon. Now."
- Damon: "Why?"
- Valerie: "The Armory is a black hole of lies. They once tricked us into using Beau as bait in exactly the same fashion use Stefan. And they were more than happy to let Rayna bury her sword in his heart as long as they could put her in one of their cages. I promise you, they will do the same to Stefan."
- Damon: 'Well, I don't have another option at the moment, Valerie."
- Valerie: "Yeah? Well, whose fault is that? Look, the best way you can help Stefan is to keep your mouth shut and stop making things worse."
- Stefan: "I wish I could be there. This is the only way I could stop her."
- Caroline: "I just wish it didn't always have to be you."
- Stefan: "I promise I will come back for you."
- Caroline (To Alaric): "I can either sit here, alone, freaking out that my boyfriend is somewhere in this country trying to outrun a huntress that will stop at nothing to kill him, or I can be useful. It's up to you."