|“||I can't keep living here if I want to kill my sister.||”|
THE MISS MYSTIC FALLS PAGEANT — Caroline does her best to be there for Stefan and Elena in a tough time. Damon tries to convince Stefan to help him to uncover Professor Shane's motives, but Stefan is intent on carrying out a different plan with Klaus. At the annual Miss Mystic Falls Pageant, Elena and Caroline give April advice on which dress to wear while Tyler and Hayley work together on a secret project and Damon confronts Professor Shane with his suspicions. Alarmed by the vivid nightmares he's having, Jeremy turns to Matt for help, but the situation escalates sooner than anyone expected.
- Antagonists: Atticus Shane and Jeremy Gilbert.
- This is the first and only episode to date to feature Jeremy as an antagonist.
- Elena finally tells Damon how she feels for him and they make love to each other in this episode for the first time.
- This is the first episode shown where Stefan turns a human into a vampire.
- Caroline's date is Klaus because she convinced him to sacrifice one of his hybrids in order to stop Elena's hallucinations by agreeing to go on a date with him. In the end, she seems to enjoy it.
- Tyler's date is Hayley.
- Damon reveals himself as a vampire to Professor Shane, though Damon assumes that Shane already knew.
- Caroline urges Stefan to keep finding the Cure for Elena.
- Jeremy attacks Elena and Stefan.
- This is the only time Jeremy tries to kill his adopted sister/biological cousin Elena.
- Stefan and Caroline make an important discovery (Elena's sire bond to Damon).
- April is chosen to be the new Miss Mystic Falls, inheriting the crown from Caroline, who was the previous year's winner.
- Hayley is revealed to be secretly working with Shane, and that Shane wants all the hybrids free from their sire bonds for what's to come.
- Jeremy makes his second kill as a vampire hunter when he kills the hospital patient/prisoner Stefan turned earlier in the day.
- Matt moves in with Jeremy, Elena moves in with Damon and Stefan moves in with Caroline.
- Klaus revealed the only time he ever wished he were human after becoming an Original vampire.
- This is the first time that Susan Walters is credited as a guest star, instead of a co-star.
- Unidentified hospital patient - killed by Jeremy Gilbert.
- Kimberley complains, "Why do the transformations have to be so painful!"
- Unlike Tyler, who always loses his clothes during transformation, Kimberly got to keep her Magic Pants.
- By wearing the Red Dress, April presents herself like a sexy woman, instead of a child. Her dress follows all the tradition to the T: it's strapless, long, slinky and very flattering. It's supposed to make her three times sexier than any other women around. This may be the reason why Caroline did not want her to wear red, and why Damon recommended it. A more traditional approach would be for her to wear Pink.
- A Blue Dress is supposed to represent femininity, a sign that she is fair and gentle. Blue represents serenity, peace, calmness - but it could also represent loneliness and sadness. That may be the reason April does not want to wear blue.
- Although long dresses are the norm at an event like this, Caroline, Elena and Hayley all wear Form Fitting Clothes.
- The title comes from a Bible Quotation: after Cain kills his brother Abel, God asks Cain where is his brother. He answers: "I know not. Am I my brother's keeper?"
- It is also the title of a 1953 novel written by Marcia Davenport, loosely inspired on the true story of the Collyer brothers. Both were found dead inside their home on 5th Avenue, that was filled with tons of books, furniture, musical instruments that both collected during their lives. According to diaries that were found in the house, both were attracted by the same opera singer, and when she became pregnant, she could not tell who was the father. Bit by bit they withdraw to a life of bitterness and resentment against each other.
- Caroline is Stefan's Sober Sponsor, as if he were on a Twelve-step program like Alcoholics Anonymous.
- Damon invites Stefan to "Brother bond over some Tri Delts"— meaning Sorority Girls.
- Elena calls Shane a Jack of All Trades: someone who has many skills and is able to bring different disciplines together in a practical manner.
- This was the return of the Miss Mystic Falls Pageant, first and last featured in the Season One episode, Miss Mystic Falls.
- This marks fifty-three episodes between the two events, coinciding roughly with one year of time.
- It is mentioned several times that Caroline is the reigning Miss Mystic Falls.
- Two mirror scenes from Season One:
- When Elena is at the top of the stairs and Damon, at the bottom, looks up at her.
- When Jeremy is not there, Matt replaces him, using the same phrase Damon used: "I got this".
- Despite Caroline affirming that "Damon is always wrong", he was right that Elena wore the blue dress last year and lost the contest. He suggests the red dress - and April wins the crown.
- Damon tells Shane he is looking for a hunter for companionship, a drinking buddy. It's a double reference to Alaric "hunter by day, vampire hunter by night'" or later in the series "vampire hunter/drinking buddy."
- Elena tells Stefan her old self died at Wickery Bridge. In Our Town, after Stefan almost turned her into a vampire, Elena came to the conclusion she had to let the "old Elena" go.
- Carol was last seen in The Rager.
- The break-up between Elena and Stefan is mentioned by Stefan (twice).
- Pastor Young was mentioned by Damon (four times) and Jeremy (once). He was last seen in Growing Pains when he and the rest of the Council have died from the explosion (also Damon mentioned it twice and it was once mentioned by Jeremy).
- Connor was mentioned by Matt, Damon Jeremy, Elena and Stefan. He was last seen in We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes as a hallucination.
- Alaric was mentioned by Jeremy. He was last seen in Memorial as a ghost.
- A member of the Brotherhood of the Five carving their symbol into a stake was last seen in The Rager.
- April is seen wearing Jeremy's vervain bracelet in this episode. It was first seen in The Killer when Jeremy gave it to her.
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- McKinley, Virginia
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 2.86 million viewers in the USA, which was 0.02 million more than the previous episode.
- This episode aired after a one week hiatus for Thanksgiving, after We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes.
- Behind-the-scenes and sneak peek footage of Olympian Gabby Douglas's guest spot.
- Gabby Douglas is one of the attendees messing with the floral arrangements.
- This episode's name is the same name of a scene from Freddy vs Jason.
- Hashtag during the airing is #VampiresAndTiaras
- Damon: "Where've you been?
- Stefan: "Oh, you know. Out."
- Damon: "Where you going?"
- Stefan: "Out."
- Damon: "Okay. I see shady Stefan's back. Please don't tell me that you're still working with Klaus?"
- Stefan: "You obviously haven't heard. Elena and I broke up."
- Damon: "Oh. Got it. Well, I'll be quick then. So apparently, if we want to find the cure, we have to find a vampire hunter who can kill enough vampires to reveal the map on the hunters mark. Now unless we want Jeremy to go all Connor 2.0, I suggest we find a different hunter."
- Stefan: "Okay. And...?"
- Damon: "And I was gonna ask Professor Shane, but turns out he is shadier then you are. Matt Donovan connected him and the Pastor through phone records. Apparently, the two were very chatty the day that the Pastor blew up the Council."
- Stefan: "Ah, so you're gonna confront Shane, threaten him, possibly kill him? That sort of thing?"
- Damon: "Yeah, unless he tells me what is he up to. What do you say? Should we tag team this?"
- Stefan: "No, I'd say you're on your own."
- Damon: "Why won't we just blow it off, man? Go get drunk. Brother-bond over some Tri-Delts? If you... you know ...want some quality time?"
- Stefan: "Let's not pretend like this isn't the best day of your life."
- Klaus: "Now, how did I know I would find you at the helm of the ship?"
- Caroline: "Go away, I'm busy."
- Klaus: "I was wondering what time I should pick you up tomorrow."
- Caroline: "How about a quarter to never?"
- Klaus: "I was promised a date in return for one of my hybrids..."
- Caroline: "Yes, a date, like to a movie where we don't have to talk and I can put at least three seats between us."
- Klaus: "Surely the reigning Miss Mystic Falls won't be hosting the party alone, and I assume you are not taking Tyler. Not after his indiscretion with his lady werewolf friend."
- Caroline: "Fine. If you insist on coming, meet me here. 2 pm. Black tie optional. And I already have a dress. So don't even think of getting me so much as a corsage. You understand?"
- Klaus: (smiles and nods) "I'll see you tomorrow, Caroline."
- Elena: (about the breakup) "So he didn't tell you why."
- Damon: "But I'm sure it has to do something with you acting weird. So why don't you tell me?"
- Elena: "...You."
- Caroline: (to Klaus) "You're perfect... which is beyond annoying I can't even look at you."
- Klaus: (reading Caroline's Miss Mystic Falls application) "Obviously we found a shortage of words ending in -spire."
- Elena: (takes the drink Damon offers her) "Thanks"
- Damon: "I was being polite, I thought you hated whiskey."
- Elena: (sips her drink) "My brother wants to kill me."
- Damon: "Welcome to the club."
- Elena: "Jeremy can't live with me. Stefan wants to fix me. And Caroline flat out admitted that she doesn't like me this way. I think it's safe to say that I'm not so great at this whole vampire-thing."
- Damon:: "You want to know what I think? I think I've never seen you more alive."
- Elena: "That dance they did today... It kind of reminded me when..."
- Damon: "When we danced together?"
- Elena: "I wanted to dance with you today."