|“||Mikael: Betrayal is in your nature, boy.
Klaus: No. I wasn't born like this. Her, you fight for, lovely Freya, the daughter you barely know. But there was a time where you knew me as your son! A time before all the disappointments, the revelations of betrayal. There were moments where all you had to do was be my father! And even then, you despised me, didn't you? I want to know why.
Mikael: I don't know. I just... did.
DAHLIA ARRIVES TO NEW ORLEANS — Desperate to find a way to vanquish Dahlia, Klaus soon finds himself face-to-face with another deadly threat – Mikael. Meanwhile, as Hayley and Rebekah work with Freya to track Dahlia's whereabouts, Elijah and Marcel prepare a safe house in Algiers with the help of Josephine. Elsewhere, determined to protect Hayley and baby Hope, Jackson approaches Hayley with a risky idea that leaves her conflicted. Finally, Aiden finds himself torn between his loyalty to Jackson and his secret alliance with Klaus. Davina also appears.
Hayley and Jackson are out walking around the French Quarter, and Hayley gives money to a woman playing the violin. But, the woman starts playing a less happy tune; and a man writes on a chalkboard, "A promise made is a debt to be paid." Another man tries to give them a bouquet of black dahlias, and they try to leave. The man's eyes become white, and Klaus arrives and chokes him. But then Jackson's eyes become white, and he says, "I am here. I am everywhere, and I intend to take what is mine." A second later, Jackson returns to normal, and asks what happened.
Back at the compound, Klaus is upset that Hayley took Hope outside, as the point of a fortress is for protection. But Elijah tells them to calm down, that they need a new strategy. Freya says the spell Dahlia cast is called "kenning," using proxies to watch her enemies from far off. Freya gives them a tonic that will prevent Dahlia to using any of them.
Klaus thinks their vampire minds are too powerful for kenning spells, and that Dahlia is testing them to see how they respond to aggression. Elijah offers that they need to create a new stronghold, a sanctuary from any witchcraft. Freya offers another strategy—using Jackson to trace the source of Dahlia's magic, finding out exactly where she is.
Davina is at Kaleb/Kol's tombstone, and Klaus remarks on how she's made it a morbid habit to spend a lot of time in the cemetery. Klaus wants Davina to find Mikael, and gives her his word to give Davina Kol's ashes to bring him back.
Aiden and Josh are in bed, and Aiden gets a call from "Jackson," when it's really Klaus calling. Josh goes into the bathroom, and Aiden talks to Klaus. He wants Aiden to be his eyes and ears, since Jackson can't be guarding Hope now.
Jackson wants to take Hayley and Hope away from New Orleans. He thinks they'll be safe in the bayou, as he knows the place like the back of his hand. The Mikaelsons' fight with Dahlia isn't hers or Hope's, and it started a thousand years earlier. Hayley seems convinced.
While waiting for Mikael to return, Davina asks Klaus how it feels to be one of them—someone who has something to lose, someone he loves wholeheartedly. Mikael gets out of a car, and he and Klaus exchange words.
Elijah and Marcel want Josephine to turn St. James Infirmary into a sanctuary against magic, and Josephine isn't happy about creating a barrier that would leave witches vulnerable. Instead, she offers to give a traditional blessing to dispel unwanted spirits. A barrier against those who mean to do harm.
They use Jackson to trace Dahlia's signature, but while channeling Rebekah, Rebekah sees Dahlia next to Freya. Dahlia is channeling Freya, that's how she's so strong. They accuse Freya of working for Dahlia, and while Rebekah wants to trust Freya, they tell her to leave.
Klaus and Mikael's rather unpleasant conversation comes to an end when Dahlia uses a woman as an acolyte to break the windows of a restaurant they're in. They leave to put an end to Dahlia.
While walking down the street, Freya sees Dahlia. She taunts Freya about her long-lost family, asking if they welcomed her with open arms or weep tears of joy at her return. After she deals with Freya's siblings, Dahlia says she'll really be the only family she has left.
Elijah comes back, only to find out Freya has left because Hayley and Rebekah thinks she's a risk and they don't even completely trust her. Elijah remarks that they've all done nothing but distrust her and not demonstrated kindness, even though Freya saved Rebekah's life. Elijah wants Hayley to pack her things and wait for Marcel who will escort her to a jazz club in Algiers at 9:00 PM, in which Josephine is fortifying at the moment. He and Rebekah will stay at the compound and wait for Freya to return.
Davina binds soil from Dahlia's homeland, ashes of her Viking oppressors, and Freya's blood to a knife as a weapon against Dahlia. All the sources of her power bound together form a weakness.
Freya warns Elijah and Rebekah that Dahlia will make her move that very night. She will lure Klaus and Mikael to a trap, preferring places of darkness that has been steeped in the blood of innocent lives. Dark power created by a massacre.
Klaus and Mikael enter St. Anne's Church, and meet Dahlia along with all her minions. She has given them only a fraction of her power, and they are indeed very powerful. But the two vampires eventually kill them all, which doesn't faze Dahlia. She continues to taunt them.
Jackson tells Aiden to meet them at the service entrance at 8:45 exactly, so that he can get away with Hayley and Hope. Josh confronts him, and Aiden feels bad about not helping Jackson, ‘cause he looked after Aiden since childhood. Josh assures him it'll be okay.
Elijah, Freya, Klaus, and Mikael have all tried. And just when Klaus goes in with the knife, Dahlia disappears. The knife is gone too. Dahlia reappears behind them, and destroys the knife. She tells them to give her Hope, and disappears again.
Aiden doesn't go through with Jackson's plan, and Marcel finds him and Hayley to escort them to Algiers. They pretend like they've been waiting for Marcel the entire time.
Both Mikael and Freya are upset at what's unfolded. Dahlia wanted them to reveal their sole weapon, and they foolishly did. Freya says they rushed it, and now they've lost the advantage.
Klaus pins Mikael against the wall with the White Oak Stake, telling him he trusts the daughter he barely knows while he has never once treated Klaus nicely even when Mikael knew Klaus as a son before the revelation of Esther's betrayal. Mikael says he doesn't know why he despises Klaus, he simply just did. He begins to apologize to Freya, but Klaus stakes him while Elijah holds her back. Mikael burns, and Freya grieves. But Klaus remarks on the Viking ash they now have.
Dahlia plays the violin and meets Josephine. She cures Josephine's hands and lets her play one last tune. Josephine lets Dahlia send a message to Klaus, allowing Dahlia to kill her. She slits her throat.
- Antagonists: Dahlia and Mikael (Minor)
- Title meaning: a reference to Dahlia's ability to possess thousands of spies by mentally controlling ordinary (and even supernatural) beings.
- This episode marked Dahlia's first modern day appearance.
- Dahlia arrived in New Orleans in this episode.
- Klaus asks for Davina's help to track down Mikael and finds her mourning Kol at Kaleb's grave in Lafayette Cemetery. In exchange for her help, Klaus offers to give her the ashes of Kol's original body, which he has kept since his death in Mystic Falls. This last remnant of Kol's original form could allow Davina to cast a resurrection spell and bring him back.
- Elijah and Marcel ask Josephine LaRue to create a safe house for Hope's protection in St-James's Infirmary, a place where both vampires and witches could come in peace as it was considered neutral ground. The safe house had a disruption spell combined with a blessing by the Garden District Coven that would prevent any witch who intends to do harm from performing magic within its walls.
- Klaus forms an alliance with Mikael to fight against Dahlia for the sake of both of their respective daughters.
- Mikael is killed by Klaus a second time with the indestructible white oak stake.
- Though Klaus was angry at Mikael and sought to get even for the pain Mikael had caused him, his main intention in killing his step-father was so they could obtain more Viking ashes to be used to forge another weapon to use against Dahlia, as she destroyed the original weapon made by Davina that contained the three ingredients which combined made her sole weakness: the ash of her oppressors (the Vikings), sacred soil that binds her to her homeland (Norway) and the blood of the one witch who broke her heart (believed to be Freya).
- This is the first episode of the season not to feature Yusuf Gatewood.
- Mikael was last seen in They All Asked For You.
- This will be the first time that Rebekah is the only spirit present in Eva Sinclair's body, as Eva's spirit was destroyed in the previous episode.
- Dahlia last appeared in flashbacks in Save My Soul. This was her first present day appearance in the series.
- Jackson was last seen in Save My Soul.
- Josh was last seen in I Love You, Goodbye.
- Klaus killed Mikael for the second time with the white oak stake. His first death occurred in Homecoming (Season Three of The Vampire Diaries).
- This is the first episode to show Mikael and Rebekah have a present day on-screen interaction on The Originals. (However, this time, Mikael is in his original body, while Rebekah is possessing Eva Sinclair). The last time they met in the present day occurred in Homecoming (Season Three of The Vampire Diaries).
- New Orleans, Louisiana
- Mikael - Staked; killed by Niklaus Mikaelson
- Josephine LaRue - Slit throat; killed by Dahlia
- Dahlia's Acolytes - Broken neck/loss of blood; killed by Mikael and Niklaus Mikaelson
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 1.01 million viewers in the USA.
- Night Has a Thousand Eyes is a drama/thriller movie. It takes place in New Orleans. It was also released in 1948.
- Davina (to Klaus): "What do you want Klaus?"
- Klaus: "Well, perhaps I'm merely concerned about you. You do seem to spend an inordinate amount of time in graveyards for a teenager. It's a rather morbid habit."
- Davina: "Well, I am touched by your concern. Anything else?"
- Klaus: "Now that you mention it, there is one matter with which I can use your help. Mikael. It appears my sister Freya, has dispatched him to gather some items I require and seeing as how you brought him back from the dead, I'm guessing you have the means to find him."
- Davina: "Sorry. I'd love to help, but I'm busy mourning another dead boyfriend."
- Klaus: "Do you think you're the only one who grieves my brother?"
- Josephine: "Well, this was quite the place back in my day. St. James Infirmary. Vulgar, Filthy, Loud. Some of the best nights of my life. But I assume you didn't go through all this trouble on my account."
- Marcel: "As you know for years, this place served as neutral grounds for both our communities. A place where all were welcome and safe."
- Elijah: "And in keeping with that tradition, we'd like to invite you to cast a spell. One that would prevent the use of any magic within these walls."
- Josephine: "You'd ask me to create a place where my kind would be utterly helpless?"
- Elijah: "My dear Josephine, powerful as you are, surely you've must have sensed this grave new threat?"
- Josephine: "And I am without empathy but I have a responsibility to the witches. This is not our fight."
- Elijah: "Well then. I do hope you understand that anyone willing to stand aside and allow my family to be threatened.... I would be forced to considered an enemy."
- Klaus: "She's preparing for battle. My guess is sooner rather than later."
- Hayley: "Well if she was watching us, she would know that we have our own army."
- Elijah: "She also knows where we are and given the immense nature of her power, we simply have no idea what to expect."
- Hayley: "Awesome."
- Mikael (to Klaus): "Well. Well. Well. Well."
- Davina (to Mikael and Klaus): "So you two are friends now?"
- Klaus: "Absolutely not. We're merely aligned out of necessity for the purpose we both enjoy the most: Glorious murder."
- Dahlia (to Mikael and Klaus): "Let us begin."
- Mikael (to Klaus): "We are well met. So be it. Are you ready?"
- Klaus: "I was born ready."