GOOD NEWS, BAD NEWS — As Damon’s behavior escalates from destructive to deadly, Stefan begins to regret their last conversation and decides to track Damon down and intervene. For reasons of her own, Katherine volunteers to come along. Dr. Wes enlists the Travelers to set a trap that will once again test Damon’s friendship with Enzo. After a heart-to-heart talk with Nadia, Matt enlists Caroline and Tyler’s help to protect Elena, leading to a violent confrontation. Later, when Stefan tries to comfort a dejected Caroline, their conversation leads to a horrifying realization.
- Antagonists: Nadia, Katherine, Damon and Wes.
- Damon continues to deal with his transformation into an Augustine Vampire after he was injected with Wes Maxfield's "Ripper serum," which conditions a vampire to crave the blood of their own kind and has caused him to have an uncontrollable urge to feed on vampires.
- Katherine (still posing as Elena while a Passenger in her body) is nearly successful in seducing Stefan in their motel room after they kiss, but is interrupted by a call from the mechanic about Stefan's car, which he answered.
- Stefan and Caroline figure out that Katherine has been possessing Elena's body since Katherine's "death" in 500 Years of Solitude.
- They were led to this conclusion after discussing Damon's claim that "Elena" wanted him dead after Katherine tried to use Damon's new status as an Augustine Vampire to manipulate Stefan into killing him to save "Elena." Once they determined that Elena would never want Damon to die, no matter how angry or upset she was with him, Stefan put it together with "Elena's" behavior toward him at the hotel and realized that her uncharacteristic behavior could be explained by Katherine possessing her.
- Wes and the Travelers are shown to still be working together.
- Enzo left with Wes, who offered to free him from the house he was trapped in with Damon (and in doing so, saving Enzo's life from Damon's uncontrollable bloodlust) if he did Wes one last favor.
- In While You Were Sleeping, it was revealed that Enzo allowed Wes to experiment on him one last time in order to create an antidote for the Ripper serum.
- This episode takes places two days after the events of Total Eclipse of the Heart, which is roughly four days after Katherine supposedly "died" and three days after she was given permanent control of Elena's body by the Traveler Mia in in The Devil Inside.
- Nadia's confrontation with Tyler and Caroline after her compulsion of Matt came to light ultimately results in her getting bitten by Tyler, which she reveals to Katherine at the end of the episode.
- This is the second and final episode in which Nina Dobrev portrays only Katherine.
- Jeremy and Bonnie did not appear in this episode.
- Stefan and Caroline finally realize that Katherine has been possessing Elena. Katherine became a Passenger in Elena's body just prior to the death of her own body in 500 Years of Solitude.
- Tyler and Caroline discuss how Caroline slept with Klaus. Caroline and Klaus hooked up in 500 Years of Solitude, and Tyler learned that it happened in The Devil Inside.
- The Mystic Falls Gang learns that Damon has been transformed into an Augustine Vampire. This occurred in The Devil Inside after Wes injected him with the Ripper serum.
- Farmer John's House
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- McKinley, Virginia
- TJ's Garage
- Hotel room
Behind the Scenes
- This episode was dedicated in loving memory of Sarah Jones (1986-2014)
- This episode had about 2.03 million viewers in the USA, which was 0.13 million less than the previous episode.
- Hashtag during the airing is #RipperDamon
- No Exit is a 1944 existentialist French play by Jean-Paul Sartre.
- No Exit is a 2008 movie by Britt Pitre.
- No Exit is a 1972 TV series.
- No Exit is the title of the sixth episode of the second season of the show Supernatural.
- No Exit is the title of the eighteenth episode of the first Season of the show Reign (which, at the time, aired at 9PM on The CW network after TVD).
- Stefan: "Damon's feeding on vampires. I have to find him."
- Katherine: "I can come with you."
- Wes: "Now that you're trapped, how long can you go before you feed on your best friend?"
- Katherine: "I saw an opportunity to be alone with Stefan."
- Damon: "I'm not going to feed on you."
- Katherine: "We'll be there as soon as we can."
- Enzo: "Tick-tock."
- Damon: "They won't come."
- Katherine: "I saw a hotel, do you think we should get a room?"
- Caroline: "Thank you. It's good coffee. Although, I usually take mine with a little more awkward silence."
- Tyler: "Nice try, but you don't take anything with silence."
- Caroline: "So, Matt, he's missing?
- Tyler: "I don't know if he's missing. He just hasn't been home in two days, and he's not answering his phone." (Matt walks in the door)
- Caroline: "Matt!"
- Matt: "Caroline, what are you doing here?"
- Tyler: "Kinda wondering the same thing. Where the hell have you been?" (Nadia walks in after Matt)
- Nadia: "Did I give you my sunglasses? (She notices Caroline and Tyler) Oh... Hello. (She look at Matt with concern) I thought you said they wouldn't be home."
- Stefan: "Roman Empire"
- Katherine: "476 AD, sacked by the Goths."
- Stefan: "Han Dynasty?"
- Katherine: "220 AD."
- Stefan: "Holy Roman Empire?"
- Katherine: "Not really an empire, but 1648.
- Stefan: "There goes your perfect score."
- Katherine: "What? No, that was right!"
- Stefan: "No, no, no. The book says, uh, 1806."
- Katherine: "Okay, well, 1806 may technically be right, but it was the Peace of Westphalia that truly ended the empire, and that was in 1648. Trust me. (Stefan looks at her suspiciously) ...I may have done a paper on the Holy Roman Empire in high school"
- Stefan: "Well, if you want to pass the test, I suggest you write down exactly what's in the textbook."
- (Doorbell rings)
- Stefan: "Oh, Caroline's here. I asked the Sheriff to help me track down Damon."
- Caroline: "All the victims were found inside their homes without their head."
- Stefan: "Damon's feeding on vampires."
- Wes: "How long can you go before you feed on your best friend?"
- Damon: "There's no cure for this, Enzo. Not for this."
- Katherine: "If I can get Damon to attack me, the only way to save me would be for Stefan to kill him."
- Caroline: "Oh my god."