|“||It was euphoric. The feeling of power was indescribable. But the witch Ayana was right about the consequences. The Spirits turned on us, and Nature fought back. For every strength there would be a weakness. The sun became our enemy -- it kept us indoors for weeks. And though my mother found a solution, there were other problems. Neighbors who had opened their homes to us could now keep us out. The flowers at the base of the white oak burned and prevented compulsion. And the spell decreed that the tree that gave us life could also take it away... So we burned it to the ground.||”|
ORIGINAL PEOPLE ORIGINAL FAMILY — With help from Elena and Bonnie, Alaric tries to decipher the meaning behind his recent discovery. Elena and Rebekah engage in a mean-girl power struggle, until Rebekah finally reveals some of her family's ancient secrets and the violent past she shares with Klaus and Elijah. Damon tries a reckless new approach to make a breakthrough with Stefan, and they're both surprised by an unlikely ally.
- Antagonist: Mikael.
- This is the first episode of the second chapter of season three, The Originals Chapter.
- Jeremy, Caroline, Matt and Tyler don't appear in this episode.
- We learn that Rebekah was the first of the Mikaelson children to drink human blood after turning, thus becoming the first vampire to complete her transition out of all her siblings.
- Elijah returns in this episode. It is the first time since As I Lay Dying that he was seen, although it was in a flashback. And the episode number "8" is the anniversary of Elijah's first appearance on the show which was season two's eighth episode Rose.
- This is the second Flashback episode this season.
- A majority of the main cast do not appear in this episode, due to the focus being on the flashbacks to the 10th century. This is a common occurrence throughout the series.
- Mikael's origins are revealed in this episode, and his relationship with Klaus is also shown.
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- Mason Lockwood and Lexi were both mentioned by Damon. They were last seen in Ghost World.
- Alaric's apartment was last seen in The Hybrid.
- Sheila Bennett was mentioned by Alaric. She was last seen in Ghost World.
- Rebekah confirms that one can be a witch or a vampire, but not both.
- However, in I Never Could Love Like That, it was revealed that there is one loophole to this rule, which are Siphoner witches. They can become vampires who practice magic because they possess no magic of their own, they can only siphon magic from other magical creatures or objects; becoming a vampire allows them to siphon their own vampire magic as a power source.
- Klaus returns in this episode, also in the flashback scenes. He was last seen in The Reckoning.
- In this episode there was flashback from the 10th century.
- Henrik Mikaelson - Werewolf Attack; killed by unnamed werewolf (flashback)
- Niklaus Mikaelson - Stabbed through the heart; killed by Mikael (as a werewolf/flashback)
- Rebekah Mikaelson - Stabbed through the heart; killed by Mikael (as a witch/flashback)
- The title, Ordinary People is a reference to a 1980's movie about a family torn apart when a son dies.
- "Liar, liar pants on fire" is a common playground taunt.
- Damon refers to A Christmas Carol when he mentions Mason Lockwood's ghost. It's a book by Charles Dickens in which a sour and stingy man is visited by ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future.
- "Saint Stefan" is credited with being the Catholic church's first martyr. He was stoned to death by Saul de Tarsus, who after conversion is known as Saint Paul. Damon has always referred to Stefan as a martyr.
- Damon asks Stefan how he got so good at a drinking game. This drinking game is probably "Pennies ", or "Quarters," as it is called in other regions, where players try to flip coins into a whiskey glass. Whether the player takes a drink when they land their coin in the glass or when they miss depends on which variation of the game they are playing.
- The whole episode is a great example of Troubled Backstory Flashback, which shows the Original's Dark and Troubled Past. This puts an end on the Original's Mysterious Past and maybe give them some Freudian Excuse for being as they are.
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 3.51 million viewers in the U.S., making it the most watched episode of Season Three.
- Klaus: (about Mikael) "He will find out. He always does."
- Rebekah: "That is because you always tell him."
- Klaus: "I cannot help it. He frightens me."
- Rebekah: "He frightens us all."
- Rebekah: "I know you think she hated you Niklaus, but she did not. She was just afraid. I'm sorry she turned her back on you. I will never do that."
- Elijah: "Nor will I"
- Rebekah: "We stick together as one, always and forever"
- Damon: "I got this, Elena."
- Damon: "I happen to like the edge, Stefan. Your problem is your inability to resist falling over it."
- Elena: "What is all this?"
- Alaric: "Names. Written in Runic, a Viking script."
- Elena: "These are the names of the Original family?"
- Damon: "Bang. You're dead."
- Elena: "I think that you're going to be the one to save him from himself. It won't be because he loves me. It'll be because he loves you. Can I tell you the rest tomorrow?"
- Damon: "Sure."
- Rebekah: "Why are you doing this to me? I've done nothing to you."
- Elena: "Klaus killed your mother. He has a hold on you, on me, on everyone. He has for 1,000 years. We have to make it stop!"
- Rebekah: "Shut up! Just shut up! Don't talk anymore! Nothing!"
- Elena: "Mikael, as in the vampire hunter who knows how to kill Klaus?"
- Damon: "Yep. And, as I like to call him, Papa Original."
- Rebekah: "You. Goody."
- Elena: "I was hoping we could talk."
- Rebekah: "About what? Stefan? Don't worry. I'm off him until he starts treating me better. In fact, you should probably take a page out of my book, if I'm being honest."
- Elena: "She's going to tell me. She's scared of him, Damon. I saw her face. I just have to engage in a little mean-girl power struggle first."
- Damon: "Make sure she doesn't power-struggle you into a wheelchair."
- Alaric: "Are you okay?"
- Bonnie: "Been better."
- Alaric: "Listen, Jeremy is an idiot, and I know this with certainty, because I was once a Jeremy. Trust me. We learn eventually."
- Rebekah: (to Elena about why her mother didn't become a vampire) "A witch is nature's servant. A vampire is an abomination of nature. You can either be one or the other, never both. My mother did this for us-- she did not turn."
- Damon: (to Elena) "I went behind your back. I freed Stefan. And you know what? It backfired. He's an even bigger dick than ever. It's just, now, he's a dick that's on our side."
- Elena: (to Damon about Rebekah) "She's just a girl. She loves blindly and recklessly, even if it consumes her. And when it's all said and done, there's nothing more important than the bond of family."
- Damon: "You should tell it to my brother."
- Stefan: "It's precision born out of tragic boredom."
- Damon: "All that effort wasted trying to tell you how boring you were, and you finally agree with me?"
- Rebekah: (to Elena) "Make no mistake-- if you come after my brother, I will rip you apart. And I get my temper from my father."