|“||You know what? I love friend prom. And it's exactly what prom should be… friends and memories. Yes, it sucks that my boyfriend can't be here, but the three of us are gonna have the night of our lives.||”|
PROM NIGHT IN MYSTIC FALLS — After making a decision that infuriates Klaus, Elijah proposes a life-changing challenge for Rebekah. Caroline finds that her carefully laid plans for the perfect Senior Prom night are disrupted by Elena, so she turns to an amused Klaus for a solution. Determined to get through to Elena, Damon and Stefan both attend the prom, but the evening begins to spiral out of control despite their efforts. When Elena suddenly lashes out in a way no one could have predicted, Matt turns to Rebekah for help. Finally, Bonnie makes a terrifying discovery, and Klaus receives a message that could change everything.
- Antagonists: Elena Gilbert and Silas.
- At least eight or nine days have gone by since the previous episode.
- Rebekah reveals that Elena is currently living with her, but the living arrangement is short lived. Elena was injected with vervain by Stefan and brought back to the Salvatore Boarding House and held in the basement.
- As stated by Caroline, vervain is no longer in the town's water supply.
- This is the first time Rebekah attends a dance, as she had never been able to actually make it to any of the other dances she wanted to go to in the past such as Homecoming Dance and 20s Decade Dance. However, she was at the improvised 80s Decade Dance earlier this season, but it was not an official town event.
- Silas shows Bonnie what he claims to be his real face. It is scarred and deformed, and he tells her it is because Qetsiyah wanted to ensure that no one would ever love him again.
- Elena tries to kill April after she refused to cheat and announce Rebekah as prom queen. However, she was saved at the last moment when Rebekah healed her with her blood after Matt begged her to save her.
- When Elena reveals that she doesn't want Bonnie to permanently lower the veil between the living world and the Other Side, she explains that it's not because she's afraid of the return of her enemies who were killed and trapped there, but because she doesn't want Alaric and Jeremy to come back, as she knows they will try to make her turn on her humanity again.
- Katherine does not physically appear in this episode, although her voice can be heard at the end when she narrates the letter she leaves for Klaus.
- Until this point, Bonnie has ever used her magic against Elena; she uses Expression to cast a Pain Infliction spell on her in self-defense. It's also the first time Bonnie or any witch is seen using magic to heal their own wounds.
- Klaus' threat to make Elijah's life miserable is similar to how Damon had threatened to do the same to Stefan when they first became vampires.
- Elijah gives Klaus the White Oak Stake as a consolation prize to make up for the fact that he planned to give the cure to Rebekah.
- Tyler was last seen in Down the Rabbit Hole. His voice was last heard in Bring It On.
- Jeremy was killed by Silas in Down the Rabbit Hole. His body was last seen in Stand By Me.
- Matt was last seen in Bring It On.
- Bonnie was last seen in Because the Night.
- Shane was mentioned by Bonnie. He was last seen in Stand By Me.
- April was last seen in After School Special. Her voice was heard in Stand By Me. This is April's last appearance in the series.
- Finn and Kol were mentioned. They were killed in The Murder of One and A View to a Kill, respectively.
- Alaric was mentioned by Elena. He was killed in The Departed, and was last seen as a ghost in Memorial.
Behind the Scenes
- This is the least viewed episode of Season Four, with only about 2.14 million viewers in the USA.
- This 85th and the following 86th episode mark the middle of the series, which has a total of 171 episodes.
- Though no one knew this at the time, Silas actually took on his true form at one point in this episode when he impersonated Stefan.
- This episode was Kat Graham's favorite episode to film.
- Hashtag during the airing is #SuitAndDie
- Pictures of You is the fourth and final single from the British rock band The Cure's 1989 album Disintegration.
- Pictures of You is also the title of a song by the band The Last Goodnight, released in 2007. It is still wildly popular today, and receives sporadic play on the pop stations of the radio.
- Pictures of You was the title of an episode of One Tree Hill during its fourth season.
- Pictures of You is a song from Bon Jovi's twelfth album.
- Pictures of You is also name of a novel by Caroline Leavitt.
- The voice of Silas is voice actor Jason Spisak, who voiced Kid Flash in the animated series Young Justice and many other characters in anime and video games.
- Damon: "She doesn't want the cure. She's just gonna start killing people if she knows we're still trying to get it for her."
- Stefan: "So why don't we make her want it?"
- Elena: "I don't need a babysitter."
- Stefan: "Really? Last time I saw you, you snapped a waitress' spine."
- Damon: "Don't eat the prom queen."
- Elena: "I feel nothing for you, Damon."
- Bonnie: (to Damon) "Elena's gone."
- Caroline: "What kind of dreams?"
- Bonnie: "Usually I'm at his grave. All of a sudden, he appears to me."
- Caroline: "Oh, you never got to say goodbye, Bon. You're grieving, that is normal."
- Bonnie: "When I woke up, the couch was on fire."
- Caroline: "Oh..."
- Bonnie: "I don't know if it's because I was emotional in my dream, or if Shane was right. Without his help, I'll lose control of my magic."
- Caroline: "No, it's because you need a night off from mourning. And I'm gonna make sure that you have it."
- Bonnie: "You look super hot, by the way."
- Caroline: "You think?"
- Bonnie: "Oh, yeah!"
- Caroline: "Yeah!"
- Bonnie: "Yeah!"
- Caroline: "Yeah!"
- Bonnie: "Matt and I are gonna have the sexiest date there."
- Caroline: "You know what? I love Friend-Prom. And it's exactly what Prom should be, friends and memories. Yes, it's sucks that my boyfriend can't be here, but the three of us are going have the time of our lives."
- Elena: "Hey Bonnie, heard you got your mind wiped. That sucks. Pretty dress, Caroline."
- Caroline: "I know, you helped me pick it out months ago. When we were friends. Before you tried to kill me."
- Elena: "I thought it looked familiar."
- Caroline: (to store employee) "Can you press this for me? I'll pick it up later. Bonnie?"
- Damon: "How long has it been? Eight, nine days?"
- Stefan: "Yeah, eight or nine days, I don't know, I lost count."
- Damon: "We lost count for the consecutive days in which Elena Gilbert is not killing anyone. I'd say that's progress, brother."
- Stefan: "So, what we are going to do? Just, uh, throw the football around for another hundred and fifty years so Elena gets her humanity back? 'Cause I'm cool with that."
- Damon: "She doesn't want the cure. She's going to start killing people if she knows we still trying to get it for her."
- Stefan: "Alright. We can always make her want it?"
- Damon: "Yeah, how you're gonna make an emotionless vampire want anything?."
- Stefan: "Get her to flip her humanity switch."
- Damon: "So what are you going to do? Pull a Lexi, bombard her with emotions 'til one of those sticks?"
- Stefan: "Yeah, and if that doesn't work, then we got Plan B-- lock her up, keep her isolated until you and I figure out Plan C."
- Damon: "And what happens when she gets slammed with every emotion she's repressed since Jeremy died?"
- Stefan: "Well, then you, my friend, will be right by her side ready to help her through it."
- Damon: "Right, 'cause you don't want to keep reliving history and when this is all over, you are just going to get out of our lives."
- Stefan: "Bingo."
- Damon: "Alright, how you wanna do this?"
- Rebekah: "What am I missing?"
- Elena: "Silas is appearing to Bonnie as my dead brother. Which means he still wants her to do the spell."
- Rebekah: "So? The nice thing about having no feelings is you don't fear your enemies on the Other Side."
- Elena: "I'm not worried about my enemies. It's people like Alaric and Jeremy. The Salvatore brothers are annoying enough as it is. Can you imagine if my brother came back to the living? He'd spend every waking hour trying to get my humanity back."