|“||I've been counting eclipses since I was imprisoned on this empty planet, and according to my running tally, I've been here for 6,771 supernaturally repeating days.||”|
There is very little surrounding the history of the creation of the prison worlds. The spell to create them, however, was found by Bonnie in Sheila Bennett's grimoire. Blood from a Bennett witch is also a requirement in the world's creation as well as to activate the ascendent.
The 1903 prison world was originally created to imprison Lillian Salvatore, and the Heretics; Nora Hildegard, Mary Louise, Valerie Tulle, Malcolm, Beau, and Oscar. The Heretics had been cast out of the Gemini Coven and been found and later turned into vampire-hybrids by Lily. After a forty year romp through Europe, they intended to destroy the Gemini, but the coven found them first and exiled them and Lily to the prison world. The 1994 prison world was created to banish Malachai Parker after he murdered his siblings in order to prevent his younger twin siblings to conduct the merge and prevent him from merging with Josette. To save Bonnie and Damon from the destruction of the Other Side, Sheila Bennett sent them to the 1994 prison world that ultimately, but unintentionally, led to Kai's escape. He was briefly contained in the 1903 prison world but similarly to Bonnie's escape from the 1994 prison world, he escaped the 1903 prison world as well as released the Heretics. After Kai escaped Hell, Bonnie, Josie and Lizzie Saltzman created the 2018 prison world to imprison him once and for all. However, over time, Alaric also banished troubled students, Jade, Wendy, Diego, and later Sebastian. To prevent the mora miserium from breaking and all the black magic rebounding back to Josie, the Saltzmans and Salvatore School witches combined their magic and created the 2028 prison world. However, Alyssa Chang linked the 2018 and 2028 ascendants and transported the Saltzmans and the mora miserium to the 2018 prison world. The vacant 2028 prison world would eventually become home to Rafael Waithe who was dying. In order to save his body, Lizzie and Hope banished him to the prison world, as well as his biological parents, Walt and Lucia, so he wouldn’t be alone. After the Necromancer raised Malivore and began raising monsters, Alyssa, Lizzie, and Josie created the 2029 prison world and banished them, as well as Hope and Landon to contain the various supernatural creatures released by Malivore and/or controlled by the Necromancer.
Throughout The Vampire Diaries Series
Before finding peace, Sheila Bennett told Bonnie that she had ensured a way of saving her from the the Other Side's destruction. When it did finally collapse in Home, Bonnie and Damon were engulfed by a bright light before being transported to an alternate dimension.
In It's Been a Hell of a Ride, Lizzie and Josie, instructed by Bonnie, created a new prison world and banished Kai with no eclipse for escaping.
Throughout Legacies Series
In This is Why We Don't Entrust Plans to Muppet Babies, the various covens of the Salvatore School came together during Coven Day to help Lizzie and Josie create a new ascendent and corresponding prison world to transport the mora miserium to. Since the prison world prevents magic from escaping, should the mora miserium break, being in the prison world would prevent the black magic rebounding back to Josie. However, when they transported the mora miserium, Alyssa Chang secretly linked the 2018 and 2028 ascendents and they sent the mora miserium to the 2018 prison world. Alyssa also linked the Saltzmans with a time delay spell to the ascendent, and they too were transported to the 2018 prison world.
In Kai Parker Screwed Us, Josie and Lizzie learn that Alaric banished Jade, Wendy, and Diego a number of years ago given their lack of compassion and forgiveness for attacking and killing Mystic Falls High School students. After being trapped they spend the next ten years hunting and killing each other and Kai. However, they were also working with Kai in his attempt to escape the prison world. Unable to escape the traditional way, he learned of another portal - Malivore. In order to have the power to escape the prison world, Josie broke the mora miserium and was consumed with black magic.
In You Can't Save Them All, Josie found a loophole to the prison world and learned she can create doors by siphoning from the world itself. However, the world became unstable and despite transferring the link to Sebastian the world began to collapse in on itself. Alaric, Josie, Wendy, Jade, and Josie, however were able to escape. With the destruction of the prison world, its corresponding ascendent was also destroyed. Unbeknownst to the Saltzmans, Kai attempted to use Alyssa to cast a spell to sever his connection to the prison world. Since that world was created for me, had she completed the spell, the world and everyone within it would have disappeared.
In Goodbyes Sure Do Suck, Rafael Waithe was dying after the Necromancer severed his ties with his former acolyte. As he began to die, once again, Hope had the idea after their conversation about peace, his best day on repeat, and worked with Lizzie and the other witches to save Rafael. Using the visible supernova, they successfully banished Rafael, as well as his parents, Walt and Lucia at their request, so that he would not be alone. Following their banishment, his friends, pack, and school all said their goodbyes.
In Hold on Tight, Lizzie, Josie, and Alyssa worked together and created a new prison world. Together they banished Hope, Landon, the Necromancer, Malivore and all monsters linked to them to the prison world. With the new prison world, they moved all the spells that Alyssa had linked from their world to the prison world, freeing her and MG from the Necromancer's control.
In This is What It Takes, Malivore roams the prison world free and Mystic Falls is completely trashed. Lizzie assumes that Malivore is trying to find a way out of the prison world or perhaps is lonely and releasing monsters he once consumed.
- The worlds repeat the same day on a temporal loop, though its prisoners are all aware of the fact that the day is repeating itself. Some items, however, arel finite and don't re-appear. For example, the Heretics desiccated because Lily had consumed all the blood within walking distance.
- The worlds have duplicates of all physical matter at the time the spell was performed, this also includes magical objects i.e. the Cure, Silas' Tombstone and Josette's knife, which once contained her magic.
- The worlds can only be accessed by using the Ascendant, combined with the blood of a Bennett witch and the power of a celestial event.
- Prisoners banished to prison worlds are unable to die or age, as they are bound to the world as punishment. However, if they're transported to the prison world, this does not apply and are vulnerable to death.
- Prison worlds are linked to the current leader of the Gemini Coven, such that if anything life-threatening happens to them, the worlds are affected as well (e.g. the merging and/or destruction of the realms). When Kai killed himself to become a vampire, not only did his coven perish with him, so did the 1903 and 1994 prison worlds.
- Hope Mikaelson (briefly)
- Lizzie Saltzman (briefly)
- Milton Greasley (briefly)
- Landon Kirby
- The Necromancer †
- The identity of the Bennett witch that assisted the creation of the 1903 prison world with the Gemini Coven remains unknown. It is assumed that it was either Sheila herself, or her mother, Amelia.
- Since the prison world is bound to the life of the current Gemini Coven leader, it is assumed that the 2018 prison world had been bound to both Lizzie and Josie, and/or possibly Bonnie, as they were the ones to create the new dimension. However, this remains unclear as neither Lizzie or Josie has completed the Merge nor become 'official' leaders of their defunct coven.
- With the creation of the 2028 and 2029 prison world, both Lizzie and Josie, Gemini witches, were needed to complete the spell. It remains unclear if the worlds are bound to them or all of the witches involved in their creation.
- When Sheila transported Bonnie, and unintentionally Damon, to the 1994 prison world, the pair were resurrected in the process. Both Bonnie and Damon were spirits when they were transported to the world but when they were eventually transported back to the mortal plane, they were alive and corporeal.
- In order to travel to the 1994 Prison World to try to bring Bonnie back, Damon obtained the blood of Bonnie's cousin, Lucy Bennett, in order for Liv to cast the spell with the Ascendant. Similarly, Kai used Qetsiyah's blood to escape from the 1903 prison world after Bonnie stranded and left him for dead.