THE PLAN TO SAVE BONNIE TAKES AN UNEXPECTED TURN IN THIS EPISODE DIRECTED BY PAUL WESLEY — When Damon's risky attempt to save Bonnie takes an unexpected turn, the consequences of his actions forces everyone to band together to help her pull through. Meanwhile, when a new threat leaves Caroline's life in jeopardy, Stefan makes a rash decision that ultimately forces them to face the fallout from their relationship. Elsewhere, Enzo tries to hold it together as he painfully watch Bonnie in the fight of her life, while Matt takes matters into his own hands to save one of his closest friends. Alaric also appears.
- Antagonists: Bonnie Bennett, The Armory's Monster.
- This is the first episode of the entire series to feature Bonnie as an antagonist.
- She is also the latest main character to be an antagonist in the series.
- Other than Josie and Lizzie, this is the first episode not to feature any of the recurring (guest) characters.
- Matt is revealed to be the new Sheriff of Mystic Falls.
- This episode is similar to the Season 6 finale where most of it takes place in Elena's head, except unlike Elena, Bonnie wakes up.
- Bonnie has somehow marked Caroline, Enzo and Damon while they were in her head to be her first targets after she wakes up.
- Damon shows Bonnie Elena and her old house but keeps her from seeing her friend reminding her because of the sleeping spell link to Elena her he can't see Elena. He shows Bonnie where he and Elena first kissed also where he saw her take the Cure and the promise it represented.
- Damon reminds Bonnie of the memorial the gang did for her in Season Five, episode - For Whom the Bell Tolls. He also reminds Bonnie of everything that she has been and how's she has come out the other end stronger for it.
- For the first time this season, a character makes reference to Elena taking the cure, in this case Damon when he's inside Bonnie's head before he makes her wake up by having her kill him.
- Caroline, Enzo and the others try showing her that are good vampires like themselves.
- Stefan mentions to Caroline Season Three's finale - when he respected Elena's choice, and saved Matt instead of her.
- Enzo and Damon realize the only way that they can save themselves and Caroline from Bonnie is to destroy the remaining Everlasting stored somewhere in the Armory.
- Enzo does remind Damon that what ever was in the Vault is now loose inside the sealed Armory but Damon is willing to take the risk for Bonnie's sake.
- Elena was last seen through an hallucination in Things We Lost in the Fire.
- The Gilbert House was last seen in Season Six's I'd Leave My Happy Home For You.
- Josie and Lizzie were last seen in Moonlight on the Bayou.
- Klaus was mentioned by Caroline. He was last seen in TVD in Moonlight on the Bayou and in TO in Where Nothing Stays Buried.
- Liz was mentioned by Damon. She was last seen in a hallucination/flashback in Because.
- Rayna was mentioned. She was last seen in Kill 'Em All.
- Penny was seen in a picture. She was last seen in a flashback in Kill 'Em All.
- Vicki was mentioned by Bonnie. She was last seen as a ghost in Resident Evil.
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- McKinley, Virginia
- Airport motel
- Dallas, Texas
- Members of The Armory.
Behind the Scenes
- Tyler Buckingham (Chad Carpenter) was originally believed to have casted as Beau before Jaiden Kaine was revealed to be Beau's portrayer.
- This is the first episode of the series to have less than 1 million viewers.
- This is the first episode of the series to feature no guest stars.
- This is the fourth episode of the series overall to be directed by Paul Wesley. The first three are Resident Evil, Woke Up With a Monster and Things We Lost in the Fire.
- Hashtag during the airing is #BonniesYellowCrayon
- Requiem for a Dream is a 2000 American psychological drama film directed by Darren Aronofsky. The film is based on the novel of the same name by Hubert Selby, Jr., with whom Aronofsky wrote the screenplay. The film depicts four different forms of drug addiction, which lead to the characters' imprisonment in a world of delusion and reckless desperation that is subsequently overtaken by reality, thus leaving them as hollow shells of their former selves.
- Damon: "When she wakes up, you're relationship is officially on the rocks."
- Enzo: "Waking up...means she'll have to kill us."