|“||You, the baby... babies, you are my life. And all I care about is keeping you safe.||”|
Not much is known about the Saltzman Family, but Alaric once said that they originally came from Germany. After that the family emigrated to the U.S. in 1755 and settled in Texas.
- Alaric Saltzman: The patriarch of the family and the girls' father. He's a vampire hunter who is part of the Mystic Falls Gang. He's also an Occult professor, which helps him understand the supernatural species he comes across.
- Isobel Flemming: Alaric's ex-wife who abandoned him to become a vampire. Eventually she was compelled to kill herself.
- Josette Laughlin: The twins' biological mother who was killed while pregnant with them by her twin brother Kai.
- Josie Saltzman: A Siphoner named after her late mother who was saved from death by her mother's former coven by making Caroline her surrogate mother.
- Lizzie Saltzman: A Siphoner named in honor of Caroline's late mother, Liz. Lizzie was also saved from certain death before she was even born.
- Elena Gilbert: Elena is Alaric's stepdaughter through his ex wife Isobel Flemming and part of the Petrova doppelgänger line. She was adopted by Grayson Gilbert, her biological uncle and his wife Miranda, her adoptive mother and aunt by marriage. After the death of Aunt Jenna, he became Elena and Jeremy's legal guardian.
- Jeremy Gilbert: Jeremy is a medium and a supernatural hunter who lived in Mystic Falls with his older adoptive sister and biological cousin Elena. He is the biological son of Grayson and Miranda Gilbert and the biological nephew of Jenna Sommers and John Gilbert. After the death of Aunt Jenna, Alaric became Elena and Jeremy's legal guardian.
Josette Parker †
- Note: Dashed lines denote adoption, cousin, or legal guardian familial status through Alaric and Isobel's marriage.
- Saltzman is an Ashkenazic Jewish occupational name for a "producer" or "seller of salt", from German Salz "salt" + Mann "man". Altered spelling of German Salzmann.