The Salvatore Boarding House was built in 1914 and is the former home to members of the Salvatore Family and the Gilbert Family before being a school. Damon Salvatore, Stefan Salvatore, Caroline Forbes, and, briefly, Jeremy Gilbert, until he moved into the Lockwood Mansion, were the main residents. The Boarding House is said to be one of the creepiest places in Mystic Falls. In 2019, the house was donated to Caroline Forbes, by Damon Salvatore, in honor and memoriam of Stefan.
Over the years, the house was used as a place where visitors could stay, though this changed when Stefan and Damon returned to Mystic Falls. Elena's Coffin used to be located there.
After Stefan's death to stop Katherine from destroying Mystic Falls, Caroline and Alaric chose to reopen the Boarding House as the "Salvatore Boarding School for the Young & Gifted", a school for untrained witches, werewolves, vampires and any person who had been adversely hit by the supernatural.
Throughout The Vampire Diaries Series
It is implied that Stefan had once lived in the Salvatore Boarding House many years ago before his return to Mystic Falls in Season One, as he leaves almost everything he owns there until his next visit. His brother, Damon Salvatore, may have resided at the Boarding House prior to his appearance in the pilot as he is seen entering the house without an invitation.
Locked cells are shown located in the basement of the house, and were most probably originally built so that vampires could be detained if they were to be caught. Both Damon and Stefan are locked up within the first season.
In Plan B, Mason is tortured and killed inside the Boarding House.
Throughout the season, the Boarding House continued to be one of the prime locations where murder, torture, and characters' returns to Mystic Falls occurred.
In Know Thy Enemy, the Salvatore brothers offer Elena the deed to the house and she accepts. This is done so that Elena has a safe place to live, away from Klaus, and the other Originals. The deed is later broken when Elena dies in the sacrifice ritual in The Sun Also Rises.
In Pictures of You, Elena moves in with Rebekah. In the end, she is vervained by Stefan and Damon and locked in a cell in the basement.
In She's Come Undone, Elena moves back in.
In I Know What You Did Last Summer, it is revealed that Jeremy has moved into the boarding house during the summer.
Katherine Pierce has moved since she was kicked of Elena's dorm room.
In a flashback from 1994 it's revealed that Zach willingly invited Damon in.
In Day One of Twenty-Two Thousand, Give or Take, Stefan negotiated a deal, a truce, with his mother, Lily and the Heretics. They were given time to clear out the town of Mystic Falls and leave, otherwise anyone who trespassed, would be fair game for the impulsive and deadly behavior of the Heretics. With Stefan, and by extension Damon, gone, Lily and her Heretics moved into the boarding house with free reign to do as they pleased.
In Hello, Brother, Caroline has moved in to live with Stefan.
In The Next Time I Hurt Somebody, It Could Be You, Stefan and Caroline host Christmas Eve dinner, inviting Matt and Peter, Alaric and the girls, and Bonnie and Enzo. However, Bonnie and Enzo are running late and Sybil and Damon crash the party, enforcing all present to endure them.
In Nostalgia's a Bitch, Damon, who was forced to have his humanity turned back on, has entered a catatonic-like state. Caroline and Bonnie enter his subconscious and they experience a frabricated world in which Damon was never a vampire and the Salvatore Boarding House is open to accepting new residences where Henry, is attending the place as a desk clerk.
In I Was Feeling Epic, in the epilogue, the house now functions as a boarding school and safe haven for supernatural children and young adults under the care and protection of Alaric Saltzman and Caroline Forbes
The Vampire Diaries
- Damon Salvatore (moved out to the Lockwood Mansion from August 2013 to March 2014; moved out to the Brooklyn Warehouse from March 2014 to March 2017)
- Stefan Salvatore (moved out to the Lockwood Mansion from August 2013 to March 2017)
- Lillian Salvatore (killed by herself)
- Malcolm (killed by Damon)
- Oscar (killed by Valerie)
- Beau (killed by Rayna)
- Nora (killed by herself)
- Mary Louise (killed by herself)
- Valerie (left after outing Julian's actions in 1863)
- Stefan Salvatore (killed by himself)
- Caroline Forbes (moved out when the Salvatore Boarding House became the Salvatore Boarding School)
- Damon Salvatore (moved out when the Salvatore Boarding House became the Salvatore Boarding School)
- Elena Gilbert (moved out when the Salvatore Boarding House became the Salvatore Boarding School)
- Alaric Saltzman
- Lizzie Saltzman
- Josie Saltzman
- Dorian Williams
- According to Damon, there are seven bedrooms in the house. "There are six other bedrooms in this house... go find one." — Damon to Katherine in The House Guest
- Elena and Damon's bedroom.
- It seems that Elena stays in Damon's room.
- Stefan and Caroline's bedroom.
- Jeremy's former bedroom.
- Four others bedrooms.
- The Kitchen is seen for the first time in Yellow Ledbetter.
- Elena and Damon's bedroom.
- In the early episodes, before any scene inside the house, a shot of the outside would be shown. However, it is no longer used.
- Zach Salvatore was the owner of the house, but was killed by Damon in Season One. After Zach's death, all vampires and hybrids were able to enter the house. In Season Two, Stefan and Damon decided to make Elena the new owner to protect her. Elena was killed by Klaus and now any vampire can enter the house even if she is still alive.
- Before the beginning of the series, Jason Harris wanted to stay at the Salvatore Boarding House, but the owner Zach, closed it down and made all the residents leave because he had family coming, i.e. Stefan and Damon.
- The real address is 684 Abernathy Rd NE, Sandy Springs, Georgia, USA. **Glenridge Hall in Sandy Springs was demolished on April 9, 2015. 
- In Season seven, the exterior of house was not seen as stock footage, only the interior was seen.
- The Salvatore Boarding House has been featured in every season of TVD.
- The house was also featured in every season premiere, mid-season finale, and season finale.
- It is also a location to be featured the most with 148 appearances out of 171 episodes.
The Vampire Diaries