|“||I slept a hundred years, and now, finally, I'm free. Tell our brothers I'll be coming to see them soon, and I expect nothing less than their best behavior.||”|
THE GIRL IN BLACK — After a series of strange encounters, Rebekah becomes intrigued by a mysterious girl who has recently arrived to the insane asylum. At the bayou, Hayley struggles with coming clean to Jackson about the secrets she's keeping and is surprised when he shares his own secret involving Hayley's parents. Meanwhile, after learning the details of a particular marriage ritual that Hayley and Jackson must complete, Klaus heads to the bayou to put an end to it, but not before running into Jackson's grandmother Mary. Elsewhere, Finn remains determined to uncover the secret he knows Klaus is hiding and sets his eyes on Marcel for answers. Lastly, when Davina discovers that Josh and Marcel are in danger, she enlists the help of Kol and Aiden to rescue them.
While Freya stands over Rebekah, Rebekah dreams of Young Freya being taken by Dahlia.
Klaus orders the werewolves in the bayou to tell him where Hayley is, before he grows irritated and does something nasty in front of their children.
Hayley is still struggling with telling Jackson her secrets, and can't even tell him why. It's not safe, but Jackson asks when they have ever been safe. He tells her a secret of his, about her parents.
Rebekah tells Cassie she's found a way to break out of the asylum, channeling the witch in the locked room upstairs, Cassie doesn't agree to it. Rebekah sees a new witch in front of the TV, who is amazed at the moving pictures. For a second, she thinks she recognizes her, but never minds it. She hands the new witch an apple.
At the cemetery, Davina wakes up while Kol is ready to create the dagger. She gets texts saying Marcel and Josh are still missing.
Jackson reveals his grandfather, Richard Xavier Dumas, killed Hayley's parents. He was hellbent on raging a war with the vampires; after finding out Hayley's and Jackson's parents planned to join the packs, to try for peace with Marcel, Richard didn't like it.
He tells Hayley he didn't know about it, until his grandmother Mary told him.
The new witch gets slammed down by the Kindred, and Rebekah punches one of them. As punishment, the new witch loses her necklace and Rebekah gets her hand smashed.
Klaus doesn't want to risk any danger to their daughter, but Hayley trusts Jackson. She trusts that this marriage could change things, and bring Hope home. She says Klaus is just so paranoid, and that perhaps he killed Ansel because he's afraid of letting him in, rather than simply protecting the secret of Hope's existence. Klaus says he trusts Hayley, snaps her neck, and says he just doesn't trust Jackson.
Kol and Davina locate where Finn has kept the vampires, and they go find them, along with Aiden.
Finn tells Marcel he knows Klaus is hiding something. He keeps him roped in vervain, until he reveals the secret.
Klaus fights Jackson, intending on executing him for using Hayley's best intentions for a power grab. Jackson swears he isn't using her, and that he loves her, but Klaus isn't impressed.
Kol tries to distract Finn, but Finn knows that his friends are trying to get the vampires out. Aiden and Davina get Josh out.
Rebekah invites the new witch to come along when she busts out, or wish her luck. She can't find Cassie, and sees the locked room is open. She sees one of the Kindred killed. Cassie comes in with the other Kindred, revealing her betrayal. But the new witch uses her magic to take them out. She kills Cassie, saying the others were just ignorant bullies but Cassie was smart, and still betrayed Rebekah.
Hayley stops Klaus from killing Jackson, and says he is worthy of her trust. Klaus allows her to tell him their secret, but warns Jackson never to betray her or he'll kill Jackson.
The new witch reveals herself as Freya, and that they met in 1914. She expects her brothers to be on their best behavior, for when she finally meets them. They go their separate ways, and Rebekah meets Klaus. Klaus is happy to see Rebekah and that she's okay.
Finn asks Marcel how Hope died, but he's unable to answer because he's been compelled. Finn realizes Hope is still alive.
- Antagonists: Finn, Klaus, Cassie and The Kindred Coven.
- Rebekah escapes from the Fauline Cottage with help from Freya, who reveals herself as a powerful witch capable of easily destroying the spell placed on the cottage and taking out several Kindred members and a Harvest girl with no difficulty when they attacked Rebekah.
- Freya tells Rebekah that they are sisters and that they had met the day Klaus had stabbed Kol in 1914, when she had been his witch date. She had wanted to see who her family was and, while Rebekah impressed her with her courage and care for others, she wasn't as impressed by their brothers.
- Freya then leaves Rebekah, telling her that she would visit their brothers soon.
- Finn figures out that Hope is still alive after Marcel is unable to remember how she died because of Klaus' compulsion. He plans to use him and his vampires to help him find and kill Hope to prevent Dahlia's return.
- Kol is hexed by Finn with a curse that will not only kill him in a matter of days, but that also traps him in his body so he cannot body jump, as Finn knows that death is the thing Kol fears the most.
- Hayley tells Jackson the truth about Hope, after much argument and physical violence on Klaus' part to dissuade her.
- According to Hayley, more than half the werewolves in New Orleans have remained loyal to Finn and the witches.
- Cassie was spying on Rebekah for the Kindred and revealed her treachery the night they were meant to escape. Cassie was killed by Freya for this betrayal, as Freya stated that she loathed traitors.
- As of this episode, Davina is the last remaining Harvest witch.
- The last time we've seen Rebekah and Cassie was in the episode Gonna Set Your Flag On Fire.
- Dahlia and Young Freya were last seen in the Wheel Inside the Wheel flashback, where they were seen as a flash of Esther's memories.
- This episode marks Steven Krueger's 20th appearance as Josh.
- New Orleans, Louisiana
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 1.47 million viewers in the USA.
- Sanctuary is a place where someone or something is given shelter.
- Sanctuary also refers to Dowager Fauline's house, where witches such as Cassie reside.
- Sanctuary is also the title theme song by Darling Violetta to the similar themed early 2000s show Angel.
- Sanctuary. Is a song from the nu metal band Korn. The song was released in 2011 off their The Path of Totality album.
- Rebekah: (to Cassie about Freya) "I went into the room with the locked door. There's something in there. Someone. I'm not sure who she is, or why she's here, and I don't care. The point is, she's strong. I mean, I didn't even know what witch power felt like, and still, I could sense it coming out of that room in waves. You and I can channel her and bust free of this loony-bin."
- Rebekah: "Anything good on?"
- Freya: (watching Tom & Jerry on television) "These paintings can move! They depict a rodent breaking the bones of a rather tenacious feline!"
- Rebekah: "They're just cartoons."
- Finn: (to an unconscious Marcel)"How the mighty have fallen. Simple bit of magic, and the once-mighty vampires lie before me. How does it feel? Hunger so intense, it's like shards of glass creeping through your veins. Of course, they have you to thank. You led them to this. But, perhaps you still may be able to save them. In a thousand years, you are the closest my brother has come to making a friend. And, I wonder... what secrets did he share with you? And what do I need to do to you in order to tear those secrets free?"
- Mary: "What do you want?"
- Klaus: "Well, we could start with some common courtesy. You could invite me in?"
- Mary: "Not likely, vampire."
- Klaus: "I'm a hybrid, dear! Half-wolf. You and I could be distant relatives, for all you know!"
- Freya: "You helped me. Why?"
- Rebekah: "Because I'm a bloody fool. And maybe I just like the idea of us girls sticking together."