|“||He's a demon hunter? Looking for an oni, which is like a demon- ghost-monster kind of a thing. [...] Then the oni's probably wherever Landon is. Uh, he said he followed his sword here, and it glows around Jintsu-riki? Oh, oh, supernaturals. [...] He said that we wouldn't know if the oni was here or not. It possesses people, and it could be anywhere. In anyone.||”|
THE LOST SAMURAI — When a samurai shows up in Mystic Falls looking for a demon that possesses its victims, Josie leads the charge to defend her friends from the demon's wrath. Meanwhile, as Landon and Rafael head to Mystic Falls High in hopes of learning more about the mysterious Hope, MG is conflicted by a secret he's uncovered about Lizzie's new vampire friend Sebastian. Finally, just as Alaric lets his guard down around the town's new sheriff, a confrontation with a demon forces him to reevaluate his priorities.
- The flashback to 1308 Mutsu Province, Japan is the first in the TVD universe not be set in a European country or somewhere in the United States, like Mystic Falls or New Orleans.
- Rafael continues to struggle with his lunar psychosis and the time being stuck in wolf-form and transitioning back into his human form.
- Sebastian is not one of Lizzie's mental delusions. Despite not seeing him before, he appears to MG asking for his help, only for Wade to be unable to see him.
- There are at least two mysterious hooded-figures.
- Josie learned to speak Japanese because Lizzie's old therapist was next to a Japanese language school.
- It was revealed that Alaric was unaware of Josie's relationship with Landon.
- Wade gives MG the video camera from the 1994 prison world, briefly playing a portion of Kai's video message to the Mystic Falls Gang, and tells him to record over what's already on the tape. MG uses the camera to record Lizzie and Sebastian to "prove" that he isn't real as only when he plays the recording back for Lizzie, she is the only person shown.
- A short time later after being "blasted [...] with enough black magic to exorcise an army out of her head," Lizzie remembers Hope.
- There appears to be another continuity error with the timeline and how it aligns with Alaric's age. Sheriff Mac hands him a restraining order with his age stated as 46, however, given his birth is February 4, 1976 — which is also shown later in the episode — his age would be 52.
- This does not account for the further continuity error that Alaric died in The Departed therefore is actually only 50.
- Kurutta - Slit Throat; killed by Oni (possessing Landon)
- Landon Kirby - Stabbed; killed by Lizzie Saltzman, but resurrected
- Lizzie Saltzman mentions Commonwealth Day, which is an event that will occur in That's Nothing I Had to Remember.
- The events Lizzie mentions all occurred during the first three episodes of the first season.
- Kai Parker appears in a video footage from I'm Thinking Of You All The While and he was last seen in It's Been a Hell of a Ride on The Vampire Diaries.
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
Behind the Scenes
- This episode's title was a line used by Dorian.
- The cut on Soji Ari's neck was created using the same mold used for Camille O'Connell's death in The Originals.
- Josie: "You gave me that black magic spell and because of it I broke that kid's arm. And mines not doing too hot either."
- Professor Vardemus: "What did your father have to say about this?"
- Josie: "I haven't had the chance to ask him yet."
- Professor Vardemus: "That's understandable. He was busy starting brawls."
- Josie: "Pretty sure that was your fault too!"
- Professor Vardemus: "I may have something that can help that rash of yours."
- Josie: "I've had enough of your help. I cast that spell and I'm gonna deal with the consequences. But I'm never doing black magic again!"
- Professor Vardemus: "I would urge you not to limit yourself. Black magic has its place in our craft."
- Josie: "My dad always said the exact opposite."
- Professor Vardemus: "Well of course. I cannot think of a single reason he would want to limit your exceptional abilities. If you ever have a need to talk, my door is always open."
- Lizzie: "I spent a lot of time bettering myself over the summer and I need you all to rise to my level. Now."
- MG: "How's it going?"
- Lizzie: "Terrible. I mean, I'm great, but everyone else? Terrible. Except for you, you really tried to help me with Sebastian, thanks!"
- MG: "Yeah, about that actually um, I know you're all-in with this guy but I think it might be best for you to keep your relationship status on the DL for a while."
- Lizzie: "Why would I do that?"
- MG: "It's all so new, I'm worried you might be seeing things through rose-colored glasses..I mean."
- Lizzie: "MG I am in the best emotional shape of my life, I need to carpe the diem, seize the lay, (MG: "oh wow") besides friends should support each other. If I'm happy, you're happy. Don't overthink it."