|“||You know, I opened this school to protect these kids. To protect my daughters. How am I supposed to protect them from stuff that's not supposed to exist?||”|
THE SEARCH FOR LANDON — Alaric, Hope and Rafael hit the road in search of Landon, who's sudden disappearance has raised some suspicion. Meanwhile, during an annual flag football game against Mystic Falls High, Lizzie and Josie's plan to stay under the radar quickly gets derailed after Penelope gets involved. MG also appears.
- Antagonist: Dragon Girl
- A new creature is introduced. The creature itself was primarily done through CGI. Originally believed to be a rare class of fire-breathing witch, known as a pyromancer, it's later revealed to be a dragon.
- This episode aired on Kaylee Bryant's birthday.
- Hope planned to kill Landon with a death curse, but ends up using it on the dragon instead.
- The Salvatore School's team name is revealed to be the Stallions. The school loses on purpose to Mystic Falls Timberwolves in the annual flag football game to help reinforce the town's view of the students at the school.
- A gargoyle is seen near the school's gate at the end of the episode.
- Klaus is both mentioned and seen in photos. He was last seen in Moonlight on the Bayou on The Vampire Diaries and When The Saints Go Marching In on The Originals.
- Freya, Elijah, Kol and Rebekah were seen in photos.
- Elijah was last seen in The Devil Inside in archive footage on The Vampire Diaries and When The Saints Go Marching In on The Originals.
- Kol was last seen in Resident Evil on The Vampire Diaries and When The Saints Go Marching In on The Originals.
- Rebekah was last seen in 500 Years of Solitude on The Vampire Diaries and When The Saints Go Marching In on The Originals.
- Freya was last seen in When The Saints Go Marching In on The Originals.
Behind the Scenes
- The title is a line from Penelope Park.
- The title refers to a quote by Alfred Pennyworth from "The Dark Knight".
- Alaric: "I have to find Landon Kirby."
- Hope: "The school is at risk of exposure because of me."
- Alaric: "We don't allow black magic!"
- Hope: "Where's the knife?!"
- Hope: "Of my short lived, but horrific romances with liars."
- Emma: "Of your decision to perform black magic on school grounds last night."
- Hope: "Maybe we could table this until I catch the guy I was trying to find by using black magic because the longer that Landon Kirby is out there the greater the chance he tells people about the school and the kind of people we have hidden behind the gates."
- Emma: "You know, there's a beacon that allows me when someone's using you, knew you would cold."
- Hope: "After I found Landon, but we lost the trail and now I'm being interrogated. But go ahead take your time. Nothing at stake here."
- Emma: "Did anyone help you with the spell?"
- Hope: "No. Can I go now?"
- Lizzie: "It's game day."
- Dorian: "Let's have a good, clean, entirely uneventful game."
- Connor: "Like we do every year when we beat your asses down."
- Josie: "I mean, it's a joke anyways, we can't use our powers, so we suck."
- Alaric: "Exactly. Which is a normal school-for-troubled-rich-kids thing to do."
- Lizzie: "Run around, make it look like you know what you're doing, then fail."
- Lizzie: "New plan. Let's burn these bitches to the ground."
- Rafael: "You're going after Landon. I'm going with you."
- Hope: "You should stay out of it. He's a liar and a thief."
- Hope: "I don't know why he's still out here. He has a whole day's lead on us. He could be anywhere."
- Rafael: "Maybe cause he doesn't have a reason to run."
- Hope: "Logic that would be perfectly believable if he hadn't, you know...run."
- Rafael: "Yeah, I've been at the school for two days and I've already heard all about Hope Mikaelson and her sunny disposition."