|“||Where does your mind go when you try to resist me?||”|
Through clues left by Enzo, Bonnie deduces the creature is actually a Siren, as it corrupts and enslaves those that cross its path, and feeds off of the darkness in a person's soul as well as devouring their bodies. Sybil states that she is tasked with harvesting evil souls, and has enslaved Damon and Enzo to assist her. She has a connection to a mystical symbol and weapon thought to originate from Hell.
It is yet unknown the early life of Sybil. However, Virginia St. John mentioned that she has been alive for thousands of years and cannot be killed.
Sybil mentioned that she is 'very old', this is backed up by the point that she made that Ancient Rome was 'fun'.
Dalton St. John somehow was able to open the vault and went in along with some of his colleagues. He began to hear whispers calling out his name which drew him further into the cave behind the vault. Then both him and his friends found their lamps flames quickly snuffed out which followed with him being attacked by Sybil. Dalton and his friends were able to escape but Sybil seemed to somehow tear his humanity away turning him into a vicious remorseless killer who brutally killed his friends.
Throughout The Vampire Diaries Series
In Somebody That I Used to Know, Virginia tried to kill Bonnie to prevent her from opening the vault where Sybil was.
In Kill 'Em All, because of Damon's deal with Alex, Bonnie is forced to open the Armory's vault. However, because of her previous conversation with Virginia, she makes a plan to keep her promise to Virginia. After unsealing the door of the vault, Bonnie quickly leaves while Alex and her team go inside only to find Yvette's corpse. Suddenly, many of them are killed by Sybil in the vault. Alex and the few remaining try to flee only to discover that Bonnie trapped them inside the building with a spell, in order to trap the monster she unleashed.
In Requiem for a Dream, Damon and Enzo mentioned that the last member of The Eight Everlastings was inside The Armory that was sealed by Bonnie and that the monster could be a problem. Later, corpses of The Armory members are shown, scattered across the building.
In Gods and Monsters, she uses Elena's voice to lure Damon further into the vault and eventually gets to him. Enzo enters the vault soon after and is confronted by Damon, who asks if it's just him. After a conversation about heroes and their girls, Damon tells him that it doesn't always work out so great and that at first, it hurts, but it then becomes kind of fun, and Enzo is grabbed from behind by the monster.
After three months, Damon and Enzo have been piling up bodies on the West Coast and they are seen in a warehouse, where they are surrounded by multiple hanging bodies with their throats slit as Dalton St. John had done to his fellow The Armory members.
In Hello, Brother, Sybil forces Damon and Enzo to collect more bodies for her to feed off of. Damon mentions that the darker they are the better. After Stefan and Bonnie find her recent mind control victims, Damon is seen responding to something that she says in his mind; that she isn't ready for Stefan yet, and that he needs to leave. Stefan and Bonnie leave, and Sybil is presumably pleased by this. After Damon and Enzo capture a killer and feed it to her in the pool of blood, the blood starts to bubble, the sound of singing can be heard, and Sybil rises from the blood and shows her face for the very first time.
Sybil is a beautiful woman with a slender body, long dark brown hair, and black eyes. She has strong facial features and an olive skin tone. In her creature state, Sybil's skin is dark green and her nails turn to black claws, while her fingers elongate.
Powers and Abilities
Sybil possesses all the standard powers and abilities of a Siren.
Sybil possesses all the standard weaknesses of a Siren.
- Sybil came from a Greek origin and means "prophetess".
- It is possible this species is the oldest creature known in Template:The Vampire Diaries.
- Sybil was magically imprisoned in the Armory twice by a Bennett witch.
- She was first sealed in the Armory's vault by Lucy Bennett in 2013, at Virginia's request.
- She was sealed again within the Armory by Bonnie Bennett in 2017, moments after she had unsealed its vault.
- Sybil has many similarities with Silas: both are immortals (Silas was a truly immortal man, and the Monster was told to be unkillable), both are thousands of years old, both were imprisoned by a Bennett witch in their cave cells, both have an ability to create illusions and control people's minds. Both were rumored to bring about hell on earth and the end of the world. Virginia attacked Bonnie when she learned about the possibility of the vault being opened just like Kol tried to kill Jeremy when he learned about the possibility of Silas being free.
- Sybil's creature form is CGI.
- According to Julie Plec, the monster is thousands upon thousands upon thousands of years old, making it the oldest creature in either show.
- According to the Season Eight teaser, the monster feeds off of all the evil a person commits and corrupts their souls.
- Casting for the character was done under the name Sybil for which Nathalie Kelley got the part. The casting call read, "an immortal who uses her immeasurable power and influence to control other people, manipulating them into twisted games and tests for her own amusement and glorification."
- Sybil's mind control powers seem to have changed since the last season as Virginia states that the monster simply takes away her victims' humanity and empathy, which is showcased when Damon and Enzo were killing people contently at the end of Season Seven. This season, however, Damon states he had flipped his humanity switch, with Enzo holding onto some of his own humanity, as he subtly warned Bonnie and Stefan to leave. And in contrast to their happy emotional states in the last season, neither Damon nor Enzo is happy with having to kill people, with Damon subconsciously using his memory of Elena to keep himself going.
- According to Sybil, she was trapped within the vault for a little over 200 years.
- According to Enzo, Sybil had devoured approximately 87 people before she regained her strength and was full.
- According to herself, she is over 3000 years old.