|“||I'm not a monster, Klaus! I'm not you.||”|
BLOOD IS IN THE AIR - Klaus and Elijah enact a plan to collect the sacred stones that make werewolves not phase on full moons, needed by Genevieve in order to forever change the fates of Hayley and the werewolf community. Realizing that Klaus' plan will lead to the extermination of all French Quarter vampire's, Marcel rallies an army determined to take down the Mikaelsons and regain control of the city. Davina warns Josh to leave town as she is forced to make a fateful decision that will turn the tide of war. Meanwhile, Francesca threatens Camille, who attempts to decipher a code that results in a surprising revelation among the city's factions, and Hayley goes into labor.
- Antagonists: Marcel Gerard, Francesca Correa, and the French Quarter Coven.
- Narrator: Niklaus Mikaelson.
- Title meaning: the arrival of the long awaited battle for control of the French Quarter.
- This is the third episode of The Originals to refer to New Orleans in the title; Girl in New Orleans being the first, Reigning Pain in New Orleans being the second.
- We learn that black kyanite is the stone needed for moonlight rings.
- Klaus offers Esther's grimoire to Genevieve as a reward for creating the rings for him in order to improve upon Elijah's original deal, which was merely a peek at the spells inside the grimoire.
- We learn that Kieran and the O'Connell family were apparently stockpiling an impressive amount of Dark Objects, as well as historical and genealogical documents regarding the supernatural communities of New Orleans in his secret apartment, which is located in Kenner, LA. This location is shown on Hayley's phone as Camille calls Hayley from the apartment after learning the truth about Francesca.
- Genevieve modifies the moonlight ring spell by combining elements from three different spells from Esther's grimoire at Klaus' request, the first of which being the original moonlight spell to keep a werewolf from turning; a second, which included speed, agility and fangs that could be drawn upon at any time, which came from the spell that turned the Originals into vampires; and a third that added their werewolf venom to their bites at all times. She then modifies it further to link the stones to Klaus' blood, so that whenever a werewolf uses the moonlight stones' power during a full moon to control their transformation, it draws from Klaus' own strength, which not only weakens him, but causes him pain and reduces his body's ability to heal.
- Three major characters of this season-- Marcel, Josh, and Diego-- suffer from a werewolf bite, as well as every other vampire who stormed the Mikaelson compound with Marcel, leaving them all on the verge of death. However, Elijah, who was also bitten twice by two Correa/Guerrera werewolves, can't die from werewolf bites, as he is an Original vampire. He was later healed from these bites with Klaus' blood in From a Cradle to a Grave so he wouldn't be further slowed down in the fight by succumbing to the effects of the werewolf venom.
- Marcel and Josh were both bitten by Klaus. Marcel was bitten as punishment for his constant attempts to take down Klaus, while Josh was bitten to punish Davina for providing Marcel with a cloaking spell.
- Elijah and Diego were bitten by the Correa-Guerrera werewolves on Francesca's orders.
- The Correa-Guerrera werewolves also used their newly-obtained moonlight stones in order to bite every other vampire they could get their hands on, including all of the ones who invaded the Mikaelson compound under Marcel's orders, such as Diego.
- Mikael appears to Davina, telling her that he can help heal Josh's werewolf bite and he can help her get Klaus out of New Orleans for good-- but only if she resurrects him.
- Marcel informs Jackson that in 1925, he took out what he assumed to be the entire bloodline of Guerrera werewolves, whom he claimed were a lot tougher than Jackson and Oliver.
- However, it was revealed that one of the Guerrera family's children, Gabriel, was found and adopted into a family with the last name Correa, all of whom kept their werewolf bloodline a secret from the rest of the New Orleans supernatural community.
- It is revealed that Francesca and her brothers are descendants of the Guerrera Family, which means she is a werewolf. Once she gained possession of the newly-created moonlight stones, she and her brothers triggered their werewolf curses by killing their bodyguards. They also revealed that they had waited to trigger their curses until they had the means to control their transformations without being forced to go through the painful experience of turning during every full moon.
- It's revealed that it was Francesca Correa with whom Oliver made the deal to bomb the werewolf encampments in the Bayou in An Unblinking Death. Francesca also confessed that she made a deal with the witches to give them Hayley so they could kill her and sacrifice her child, as she knew that the Crescents would prefer to be led by Hayley, who is werewolf royalty, as opposed by Francesca. To this end, Francesca had her taken out of the equation so she would have no competition for leadership.
- Hayley goes into labor after Genevieve kidnaps her and takes her to St. Anne's Church to give birth.
- Hayley was inadvertently sent into labor after her struggle against Genevieve and the witches' capture caused her to develop a placental abruption, in which the placenta is dislodged from the wall of the uterus during pregnancy. It is a very dangerous condition, and nearly always requires emergency medical attention involving induced labor.
- Elijah and Hayley kiss for the second time. This time, the kiss was initiated by Elijah. The first time they kissed was in A Closer Walk With Thee, which was initiated by Hayley.
- The audience gets their first look at the moonlight rings in action, which give the wolves all of the abilities gained from their wolf form (venomous fangs, strength, agility, speed) without the need to turn on the full moon.
- Mohawk Vampire - werewolf bite, killed by Francesca Correa.
- Sophie Deveraux is mentioned in this episode by Francesca. She was last seen in Crescent City, when she was killed by her own niece, Monique, on the orders of the Ancestors.
- Hayley went into labor in this episode. The fact that she was pregnant with Klaus' child was revealed in The Originals (TVD) and Always and Forever (TO).
- New Orleans, Louisiana
- Kenner, Louisiana
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 1.44 million viewers in the USA, which was 0.33 million less than the previous episode.
- The Battle of New Orleans is a song written by Jimmy Driftwood.
- The Battle of New Orleans was a battle in the War of 1812 (1812-1815) that took place on January 8, 1815. Then-future-President Jackson soundly defeated a British troop reserve and this paved his way to run for political office. He was not elected until the 1830s
- Marcel quotes Sun Tzu by saying that "If you know your enemies and know yourself you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle.It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle."
- Marcel referenced the band Nirvana (1987-1994).
- Klaus: "New Orleans has always been at war."
- Francesca : "Marcel is being especially vindictive."
- Marcel: "Tell us what Klaus is up to."
- Davina: "Klaus isn't the only thing we need to be afraid of."
- Marcel: "If we don't stand against him now, our lives aren't worth a damn anyway!"
- Marcel's Army: "Yeah!"
- Marcel: "No surrender this time."
- Klaus: "So be it. I think I'll start with you."
- Davina: "There's a war coming."
- Marcel: "No surrender this time. You'll have to kill us all."
- Klaus: "I think I'll start with you."
- Marcel: "Come get me."
- Elijah: "Shall we?"
- Klaus: (to Genevieve) "Sweetheart, I'm not the enemy. Nor are the wolves. Your abusive coven expects you to sacrifice yourself for the last of the Harvest girls. Do this one favor for me, and you need never fear anyone ever again."