|“||Because once you can hurt, you can love. Love, Stefan. That's the point.||”|
STEFAN TELLS ELENA ABOUT HIS DARKEST DAYS - Stefan tells Elena about a dark time in his history and the surprising person whose influence changed everything, and how he's a "ripper." After getting the truth out of Luka, Jonas makes his feelings clear to Bonnie and Jeremy. Trying to catch Elijah off-guard, Damon arranges a dinner party for him with Jenna, Alaric, and Andie, but last-minute information throws Damon's plan into chaos.
Still at her family cabin, Elena reads Johnathan Gilbert's old journals about vampires. Stefan explains that when he first became a vampire, he was out of control from guilt and fear, leading him to turn off his emotions and to behave recklessly.
Elena discovers that Stefan almost killed one of her ancestors, Johnathan Gilbert. She also finds out that Stefan killed two of Johnathan's close friends and family while Damon tried to be the voice of reason. After the tomb vampires are captured, Stefan met Lexi, who calls him stupid and explains that he shouldn't live with his emotions shut off. She says that feelings are amplified for vampires, and although guilt is unbearable, being able to feel will also allow him to love intensely. Stefan explains that Lexi is the one who made him humane again; and Lexi also tried to stop Damon from leaving Mystic Falls, with him asking her to help Stefan.
Back in present time, Damon goes to visit Katherine's tomb. Katherine reveals that it is possible to kill an Original, but begs Damon to not kill Elijah until she figures out a way to get out of the tomb. She explains that if Elijah dies, she'll be compelled to stay in the tomb forever. Damon feels no sympathy for Katherine and plans to kill Elijah at a dinner party.
Meanwhile at the lake house, Elena finds out that Johnathan Gilbert had been researching about the Originals. She also finds out that witches formed a dagger which, dipped in the ashes of a white oak tree, can kill an Original Vampire. She tells Stefan that this dagger can only be handled by humans in order to kill an Original; if a vampire attempts to kill an Original with the dagger, it will kill both vampires. Stefan realizes that John Gilbert is trying to get Damon killed.
Stefan goes to warn Alaric. At the party, Alaric stops Damon just in time and surprises everyone by stabbing Elijah. Elijah appears dead, and they put his body in the cellar before Jenna comes back. Unfortunately, Elena discovers that the dagger must stay in the body for the Original to stay dead. When Damon goes back to check on Elijah, he finds that the body is gone.
Elijah flees to the Martin household. Jonas learns that Bonnie knows about Luka's sister. Jonas heads over to the Gilbert's where Bonnie and Jeremy are practicing spells. Jonas threatens them both and strips Bonnie of her powers.
Elijah shows up at the lake house and tells Elena that their deal is off, demanding that Elena comes with him. Elena threatens to turn herself into a vampire, but Elijah calls her bluff. She stabs herself and Elijah realizes that she'll either die or turn into a vampire if Stefan heals her with his blood. Elijah begs her to let him heal her; as Elena moves towards him, she stabs him with the white oak dagger. Elena turns to Damon and Stefan and demand that they tell her everything from now on, and that she's decided to fight, rather than sacrifice herself.
Back at the Salvatore's, Damon sees someone in the shower and assumes it's Andie; however, Katherine steps out from the shower, smugly explaining that when an Original dies, the compulsion wears off. She tells Damon that she wants to help Elena and the brothers.
- Antagonist: Elijah Mikaelson.
- It is the eighth flashback episode of the show, and third in the season.
- It is the first one to feature Lexi.
- Tyler does not appear in this episode, marking the beginning of a four-episode absence for his character, just like that experienced by Bonnie during Season One.
- Jonas takes away Bonnie's powers in this episode.
- This is the first time a witch is shown to take away the powers of another.
- Following Elijah's "death," Katherine finally escapes the tomb after being there for eight episodes and about ten days.
- This indicates when an Original is daggered, any vampire who has been compelled by the Original in question will have their compulsion lifted; in this case, Katherine, who was compelled by Elijah not to leave the tomb, was able to exit of her own free will.
- John's claim about the silver daggers dipped in the ash of the White Oak Tree being able to "kill," or indefinitely incapacitate an Original proved to be correct, but only as long as the dagger stays embedded in the heart of the Original in question.
- This was demonstrated when Elijah was daggered by Alaric and was incapacitated up until several minutes after they had removed the dagger, which revived him.
- Elijah is 'killed' with a silver dagger and white oak ash on-screen for the first time.
- This is the first time Elena daggered an Original.
- This is the first time that Elena has shown that she is willing to seriously harm her body if it means saving herself and/or her loved ones, as demonstrated when she stabs herself in the stomach with one of the daggers to show Elijah she wasn't bluffing. Afterward, she even managed to dagger Elijah in the chaos before she was healed with vampire blood by Stefan.
- Other instances of her using her body in this manner are:
- In Season Four's She's Come Undone, when she purposely set herself on fire with sunlight to prove to Damon and Stefan that torturing her won't force her to flip on her humanity switch.
- In Season Five's True Lies, when she stabbed herself in the leg with a fireplace poker and pinning herself to a chair to prevent herself from killing Damon after being compelled to do so by Silas.
- In Season Five's Home, when she blew herself up in an explosion with Damon to help bring back Stefan and the rest of their friends from the disintegrating Other Side.
- Other instances of her using her body in this manner are:
- Elena is shown to have started reading the journals of her ancestor Johnathan Gilbert, in which she finds an entry that describes a night when Johnathan, Honoria Fell and Thomas Fell are killed by Stefan Salvatore. While Johnathan was resurrected by his Gilbert Ring, Honoria and Thomas were not.
- Elena learns that Johnathan Gilbert researched the Original Family and its history, which includes the white oak ash daggers. These daggers will incapacitate an Original as long as the blade pierces the Originals heart and is not removed from their chest, and vampires who use the daggers on an Original are said to be immediately killed by them, though this has yet to be demonstrated in practice.
- This is first time we see the Gilbert compass since Unpleasantville in the present and Children of the Damned in a flashback.
- After hearing that Jules and Tyler left, Damon says the "werewolf chapter" has ended. This is the name given to the second chapter of this season, which includes episodes 8-14, by the show's writers.
- This is the first episode of the third chapter of Season Two, The Klaus/Curse Chapter.
- Foreshadowing: Katherine tells Damon that "killing an Original is a suicide mission." It turns out it really is—if a vampire daggers an Original, that vampire would die, according to Johnathan Gilbert's journals.
- Foreshadowing: When they find the moonstone on Elijah's body, Damon calls it the "moonstone bar of soap," hinting at its future hiding place in the soap bowl in Damon's bathroom at the boarding house.
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- Outside Mystic Falls
- Honoria Fell - Drained of blood; killed by Stefan (flashback)
- Thomas Fell - Drained of blood; killed by Stefan (flashback)
- Johnathan Gilbert - Drained of blood; killed by Stefan (flashback, resurrected via magical ring)
- Elijah Mikaelson - Stabbed with dagger; killed by Alaric
- Elijah Mikaelson - Stabbed with dagger; killed by Elena
- Damon says he will "dot his t's." The full expression is "Dot my i's and cross my t's" and it means that one should check all the details, no matter how small. Just as he botched the expression, Damon did not check all the details because he did not know that wielding the blade would be fatal for a vampire.
- Guess Who's Coming to Dinner is a 1967 movie about a young woman introducing her family to her highly educated and well-mannered black fiancé. The events of the movie also take place during a dinner party.
- The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a fantasy novel for children by C. S. Lewis.
- The Dinner Party is the name of an installation artwork by feminist artist Judy Chicago depicting place settings for 39 mythical and historical famous women.
- The Dinner Party is also the name of 2007 movie.
- The Dinner Party is also the name of 1994 adult movie.
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 3.07 million viewers in the USA, which was 0.277 million more than the previous episode.
- This is the last episode of the series in which Kat Graham is credited as 'Katerina Graham'.
- Elijah: "I need to find Elena. Now."
- Elena: "I'd like to see you lure Klaus into Mystic Falls after the doppelgänger bleeds to death."
- Elijah: "Stefan won't let you die."
- Elena: "No, he won't. He'll feed me his blood to heal me, then I'll kill myself and become a vampire just like Katherine did. So, unless you want that to happen again, promise me the same as before. Promise me that you won't harm anyone that I love, even if they've harmed you."
- Elijah: "I`m sorry, Elena. I`m going to have to call your bluff."
- (Elena stabs herself with a knife)
- Elijah: "NO!"
- (Elijah vamp-speeds toward the door, but he can't come in because he hasn't been invited)
- Elijah: "Yes, yes you can have your deal. Let me heal you."
- Elena: "Give me your word."
- Elijah: "I give you my word."
- (Elena exits the house and heads to Elijah. He hugs her, but she daggers him.)
- Lexi: "Because once you can hurt, you can love. Love, Stefan. That's the point."
- Elijah: "Alaric Saltzman. So, you're one of those people on Elena's list of loved ones to protect?"
- Alaric: "So is Jenna."
- Elijah: "You don't have to be jealous. I don't really pursue younger women. (Alaric gives him a worried look) It's a joke, Ric, lighten up."
- Alaric: "Right."
- Damon: "There's no such thing as a bad idea. Only poorly executed awesome ones."
- Stefan: "Elena, you've agreed to sacrifice yourself to Klaus. To say that we have a difference of opinion is the understatement of the century."
- Elena: "You would know."
- None have been recognized in this episode