Previously on The Vampire Diaries
- BONNIE: You just killed your whole family?
- KAI: Who names a kid Malachai? It's like they expected me to be evil. I linked Elena's life to yours, and the rule is, as long as you're alive, Elena will remain asleep.
- BONNIE: You're gonna be human. Enzo!
- SYBIL: Surely you've heard of the legend of Arcadius. You know him by another name-- the devil. Cade. How are you here?
- ARCADIUS : The bell rang 11 times. Enough for me to pay a visit.
- STEFAN: I just came home to change before I go to Bonnie's. Spent the last hour trying to figure out what I was gonna say to her. If I can't figure out a way to forgive myself, I can't expect her to.
- DAMON: Bonnie's a much better person than you or me.
- ETHAN: What is this?
- DAMON: A relic of Cade's creation that is the means to destroy him? Now that has a certain poetry to it. I say we make a plan to kill the devil.
- KAI: Yeah, sorry to interrupt, but what if I told you I had a better idea?
- MATT: Dad, get up! Come on, Dad! Do something, please!
- MATT: Nine. This thing's heating up! Ten. Dad, come on! Eleven.
[There is a sudden flash and Kai appears in Mystic Grill. He looks shocked and confused.]
- KAI: Hey, where am I?
- MYSTIC WAITER: Mystic Falls? The Grill?
- KAI: Is it too late, to order food?
- KAI: beer, burger. Two burgers. No. No. Two beers, three burgers. Are the fries here good? I remember them being a little soggy. Oh, and a hot dog! A hot dog. Is that... is that crazy? Whatever. I'll do it. Dog me. It's my special day, I am here, and here is not hell, and that means that I am alive, so... thank you. [He hands back the menu to the waiter and taps on the table.] Yeah, good.
[Kai looks around then opens up a packet of jelly. He dips his fingers in and eats it.]
- KAI: It doesn't taste like anything. [He gets up and takes another man's burger. Bites into it and then spits it out.] Why... can't I taste anything?
[Angered, he throws the food off the table and yells.]
- KAI: Come on, come on. Come on, come on, Come on. Come on. Come on. Come on. Okay.
[He grabs a knife and stabs it into his hand.]
- KAI: I can't feel anything. I'm not here. I'm not alive.
- MYSTIC WAITER: Okay, here's that beer.
[Kai pulls the knife from his hand and points it towards the waiter. He lifts his other hand up.]
- KAI: Motus
[The waiter slides into the knife, penetrating his neck.]
- KAI: Well... at least I felt that.
The Armory (Caves)
- KAI: is that weird or what? I mean, I can still touch stuff. I'm not a ghost. More like a psychic imprint. Stuck between dimensions thanks to hell's bell. One foot on Earth, the other in Cade's nightmare world of hurt. On the run, off the grid A renegade relying only on his wits. (laughs) A renegade. That's funny. I can still do magic if I siphon myself, but even then, it takes concentration.