A REASON TO FEEL GUILTY - Stefan has hidden the coffins containing the bodies of Klaus' family and Klaus quickly turns to violence to convince Damon and Elena that no one will be safe until he finds Stefan and gets his family back. Tyler continues to make the most of his new abilities as a hybrid, but he has to face the disturbing consequences of his actions as well. After a terrifying incident, Elena and Alaric grow increasingly concerned about Jeremy's attitude and, ultimately, his safety. Alaric meets the beautiful Dr. Fell, who is intrigued with his amazing ability to heal. While trying to strike a deal with Klaus, Elena delivers news that truly shock him.
- Antagonists: Stefan Salvatore, Niklaus Mikaelson, and Tony.
- Elena finally realizes that she must move on from Stefan. "It means that she's open to looking elsewhere," says Plec.
- When Damon and Elena finally confront Stefan about his recent actions, his response makes Damon think twice about acting on his feelings for Elena.
- Elena allows the romantic tension with Damon play out as they flirt at The Mystic Grill.
- Damon and Elena share a kiss.
- This kiss has been hotly debated as to whether or not it is their official first kiss, as many say that As I Lay Dying marked their first kiss, while others say that it doesn't count because she thought he was dying. Heart of Darkness, which featured Elena and Damon making out at the motel in Denver is also argued to be their first kiss in which they both actively participated.
- In Yellow Ledbetter, Alaric uses compulsion to alter her memory of this kiss at her request, and instead makes her think that she told Damon that it was wrong of him to kiss her.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Meredith Fell.
- It is revealed and confirmed by Tyler that the only way to kill a hybrid is by Heart Extraction or Decapitation.
- Jeremy makes his first kill in the series by incapacitating and decapitating Tony with a meat cleaver.
- Alaric meets Meredith in this episode.
- Matt and Caroline do not appear in this episode.
- It is confirmed that this episode takes place on a Sunday, as said by Jeremy after killing Tony.
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- Tony - Decapitation; killed by Jeremy Gilbert
- Alaric Saltzman - Hit by a car; killed by Tony, resurrected by his Gilbert Ring
- This is the first episode where Meredith Fell appears. She is also the last TV series adaptation of a main character from The Vampire Diaries' original novel series to appear on the show.
- This is the first episode after winter hiatus (two months).
- Caroline, Matt and Katherine do not appear.
- Meredith Fell is played by Paul Wesley's then-wife: Torrey DeVitto. However, the two later divorced in 2013.
- Internet personality Justine Ezarik guest stars as a bartender.
- This is the first episode where Jeremy and Klaus interact, though it was only via a cell phone call.
- Bonnie helps Stefan hide Klaus' coffins, with magical assistance from The Spirits.
- Jeremy was last seen in Ghost World.
- Alaric was last seen in Ordinary People.
- Rebekah was last seen in Homecoming. She was neutralized with a silver dagger by Elena.
- The witch burial ground was last seen in Ghost World.
- The four coffins of Klaus' were last seen in Homecoming.
- Elena mentions Stefan's betrayal during their plan to kill Klaus, which happened in Homecoming.
- Tyler and Elena both mentioned Jeremy and Bonnie's breakup, which happened in Ghost World.
- Tyler also mentioned his breakup with Caroline, which happened in Homecoming.
- Tony was last seen in the previous episode, Homecoming.
- Mindy was last seen in the previous episode, Homecoming.
- The New Deal was a series of economical and political measures taken between 1930 and 1936 by President Franklin Roosevelt, with the intention of ending the Great Depression.
- The bartender is played by Internet personality Justine Ezarik, better known as iJustine. In addition to her lifecast she was the voice of Passion Fruit in the web series The Annoying Orange and its television series, The High Fructose Adventures of Annoying Orange.
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 3.32 million viewers in the USA.
- Tyler: (to Jeremy) "Klaus isn't going to stop until he gets all those coffins back."
- Stefan: (to Elena) "You're not safe."
- Klaus: (to Elena) "You people seem to respond best to violence."
- Jeremy: (to Elena) "None of us are gonna make it out of this town alive."
- Damon: (to Elena) "So, all we have to do is find four coffins and voilà - no one else on your family's Christmas list has to die."
- Damon: "I thought for one second that I wouldn't have to feel guilty any more. [...] For wanting what I want." [He walks away, but then turns back] "If I'm going to feel guilty about something I'm going to feel guilt about this." [He kisses Elena]
- Jeremy: (to Elena) "This is the way things are. It sucks, but I just got to get used to it.
- Damon: (to Stefan) "Really? Last time I checked, you were hiding out in a haunted house."
- Elena: (to Damon) "Vampires, hybrids and originals? No problem. My rebellious brother? I'm worried."
- Klaus: "My sister has gone missing."
- Damon: "Cute? Blonde bombshell? Psycho? Shouldn't be too hard to find."
- Elena: "The Stefan that we know is gone."
- Bonnie: "How is Damon handling that?"
- Elena: "Damon is... Damon."
- Damon: "My brother is sort of running his own show right now."
- Elena: "My brother just chopped off someone's head."
- Elena: "Ric, hey. When did you return to the living?"
- Elena: "Stefan, I need your help. Bonnie said you would be here."
- Stefan: "Well, Bonnie sucks at keeping secrets."
- Meredith: "Mr. Saltzman. What is your secret? Guardian angel or did you sell your soul to the devil?"
- Alaric: [awkwardly] "A little of both."