The series explored the history of the character Kol Mikaelson and showcases the dynamic between the Mikaelson Family in 1914. Throughout the flashbacks, Kol is on a quest to form an alliance with the witches of the French Quarter to rival his brother, Niklaus Mikaelson. The Awakening answers some burning questions about Kol's past, including how and why he found himself up against his siblings, why he was daggered and his unique back-story with the New Orleans witches.
The first webisode starts with Klaus un-daggering his brother Kol, after an unspecified amount of time Kol meets the witch Mary-Alice Claire who he appears to have a relationship with. As he's urging Mary Alice for the whereabouts of Astrid she tells him that his brothers spread rumors about Kol not to be trusted. He reassures her of his objective: to kill Klaus once and for all. In the second, Mary says that Kol taught her and Astrid Kemiya. They used it to enchant The Devil's Star, bracelet and several other objects. Kol tells them that they need to make as many weapons as possible.
In the third, Kol slaughters half of a St. Anne parish after he becomes aware that a witch has a diamond in her possession that would help make a gold dagger for Klaus.
In the fourth Astrid and Mary Alice are locked in the house with a barrier spell cast by one of Klaus's witch. The house becomes an asylum for crazy witches. Mary Alice notes that karma played to for her because she didn't think clearly about the price she would have to pay.
- Each webisode is 2 minutes long.
- It was revealed that Kol was awakened 80 years after being daggered in Alive and Kicking by Klaus who also revives him 1901.
- Mary-Alice Claire appears to be a witch ancestor to Davina Claire, showing that Kol has helped the Claire Family of Witches over a century.
- Kol told Mary-Alice that he needed two witches to teach them what he needed to teach them, this when he asked where Astrid was.
- The whole webseries is added to The Originals S2 DVD as a special feature.
- The webseries episodes are the only ones without ratings.
- The dark objects we see that are being created came into use during Season 1 of The Originals, namely the Devil's Star, which was used by Marcel to kill Monique Deveraux, the Rosary of Madness used on Father Kieran and his nephew Sean, the bracelet to force obedience such as Davina controlling Mikael, and the magic suppressing chains used on witches like Finn and Kol in Season 2.
- The events that left Kol daggered during the 19 century can be seen in Alive and Kicking.
- The Map of Moments 1914 events tie in simultaneously to Part 4 where Kol's witches are forever trapped in the House.
- Mary Alice was mentioned in the present day by Kol and she made an brief appearance in The Map of Moments.
- Genevieve is mentioned in Part 3 by Mary Alice who tells Kol that she was gossiping about the dowager's diamond.
- Klaus is mentioned in Part 4 by Astrid who sees him grabbing Kol and the diamond.
- In 1914 there was a faction of New Orleans witches that were allied with Klaus. Kol tells Mary-Alice if he doesn't help her faction of witches they'll be wiped out by Klaus and New Orleans will be a vampire city.
Behind the Scenes
- In the behind-the-scenes video, Nathaniel Buzolic, Julie Plec, and others discuss how the web series was based on previous "C" storyline scenes which were cut out of previous flashbacks. As Julie explains, "The little story pieces are actually feeding into the story that's happening in the present day. By the time we get to our mid-season cliff hanger, both stories from the webisodes and the series itself intertwine and we see them all pay off at once".
- Mary-Alice (narrating): "It was a happy time for New Orleans, the skies were clear, liquor flowed, then something changed. After the original vampire Klaus Mikaelson woke his brother from a eighty years slumber, curse after curse befall the city. War threats, the bubonic plague, signs of a war raged between two factions of witches: those who aligned with Klaus, and those of us who placed our bets with someone else."
- Mary-Alice: "Just once, Kol Mikaelson, you might greet me like a gentleman?"
- Kol: "If you are in the market for a gentleman, Mary-Alice Claire, I'm afraid you have the wrong Mikaelson brother. Where is Astrid? I need two witches before the lessons can begin."
- Mary-Alice: "She thinks you can't be trusted. We've all heard the stories of how you use the witches and then discard them."
- Kol: "Lies. Propagated by my wicked family, love. I hold witches in high regard. You know, if Klaus says his way, you'll all be dead. This will be a vampire country, don't you want to keep you all in safe, for all the future generations of Claires to come?"
- Mary-Alice: "Why are you so keen to help us? What do you get out of this?"
- Kol: "As soon as we get rid of Klaus's witches, we are going to get rid of Klaus. Follow me, Mary Alice. We are going to change everything."