|This article is about an episode. You may be looking for species or the TV series.|
|“||Be smart, Elijah. Klaus is stark raving mad, not to mention completely irredeemable. Leave him to set off on this new adventure and lets you and I go out on ours. I have lost so much of my life to Klaus. So have you. It's our turn. Elijah, please.||”|
The Originals is the twentieth episode of the fourth season of The Vampire Diaries and the eighty-six episode of the series overall. This episode provides as a backdoor pilot for the spin-off, The Originals.
KLAUS RETURNS TO HIS PAST IN NEW ORLEANS - Acting on a mysterious tip that a plot is brewing against him in New Orleans, Klaus makes a trip to the town he and his family helped build. Klaus' questions lead him to a reunion with his former protégé, Marcel, a charismatic vampire who has total control over the human and supernatural inhabitants of New Orleans. Determined to help his brother find redemption, Elijah follows Klaus and soon learns that Hayley has also come to the French Quarter searching for clues to her family history, and has fallen into the hands of a powerful witch named Sophie. Meanwhile, in Mystic Falls, Damon and Stefan continue with their plan for Elena, while Katherine reveals a surprising vulnerability to Rebekah and asks her to deliver a message.
Klaus, at Katherine's suggestion, returns to his former home of New Orleans to find a witch with ties to him. He instead finds a former protégé, named Marcel, who is ruling the city with an iron fist. As Klaus continues his search, he finds that the witches who live there are trying to overthrow Marcel and that they plan to use Hayley, who is, for some odd reason, miraculously carrying a child that is Klaus'. After Elijah arrives to help out and persuades him to stay, Klaus decides to stay in New Orleans and return the city to his command with his brother by his side. Rebekah is offered a spot in Klaus' new domain, but she turns them down. Back in Mystic Falls, Damon and Stefan begin extreme measures to return Elena's humanity by imprisoning her in the basement of the Salvatore house.
- Main article: Pilot (Director's Cut)
- The almost same episode was aired as an episode of the fourth season of The Vampire Diaries working as a backdoor pilot. While some scenes are the same, this episode has both unaired and alternate material working as an episode on its own without being affected by The Vampire Diaries. Due to this being a pilot, no cast member is credited. This episode is also numbered as episode 'zero' due to not being an official part of the first season.
- This is the first episode to feature The Originals title card.
- Elijah reveals the source power for the witches who live in New Orleans (Ancestral Magic).
- Elijah and Hayley have a family moment.
- Antagonist: Marcel Gerard.
- Filming started on March 5, 2013  and ended on March 21, 2013.
- It is revealed that Hayley is pregnant with Klaus' child from their one night stand.
- When Klaus finds out about Hayley, at first he tells Elijah to kill her and the baby. But he changes his mind and begins to warm to the idea of having a child and a family.
- Katherine was last seen in American Gothic. Her voice was last heard in Pictures of You.
- Hayley was last seen in Bring It On.
- Mikael was mentioned by Klaus. He was killed in Homecoming.
- Klaus made a phone call to Caroline. She was last seen in Pictures of You.
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- Jane-Anne Deveraux - Slit throat; killed by Marcel Gerard
- Vampire #1 - Heart extraction; killed by Elijah Mikaelson
- Vampire #2 - Staked; killed by Elijah Mikaelson
Behind the Scenes
- The episode had about 2.24 million viewers in the USA, which was 0.10 million more than the previous episode.
- This 86th and the previous 85th episodes mark the middle of the series, which has a total of 171 episodes.
- 75% of the show was shot in the French Quarter of New Orleans with almost the entire The Vampire Diaries crew on location.
- Three exterior scenes were shot in Conyers, Georgia.
- The tour guide who appears after the title card is the actual tour guide, Jonathan Weiss, who gave Julie Plec and Michael Narducci a tour on their first research trip. He's wearing his own real clothes, hair and makeup in the episode.
- The drummer in the scene where Klaus talks to Cami is Julian Addison. He is a musician that Paul Wesley, Torrey DeVitto and Julie Plec saw play when they were in town for the Super Bowl.
- The painter that is featured has his own gallery on Royal Street in New Orleans.
- The location where Klaus and Elijah have an argument is Pirate's Alley.
- The vampire party was shot at the Hotel Royal on St. Patrick's Day weekend, much to the chagrin of the hotel's partying patrons. Daniel Gillies almost took a punch from an angry hotel guest.
- The brass band in the parade sequence is the famous band Rebirth and their high-steppers, one of New Orleans' oldest musical traditions.
- Joseph Morgan and Charles Michael Davis were former poker-buddies well before Charles was cast as Marcel.
- Hashtag during the airing is #KingKlaus
- This is the first and only episode in TVD universe to credit Charles Michael Davis and Daniella Pineda as "guest stars". They are upgraded to series regulars on The Originals.
- This is the last episode to credit Daniel Gillies as a "guest star". He was upgraded to a series regular on the Originals. Gillies would appear one more time on The Vampire Diaries's 500 Years of Solitude, but be credited as a "special guest star" instead.
- This is the last episode to credit Phoebe Tonkin as a "guest star". She was upgraded to a series regular on The Originals.
- The Ninth Ward is the largest of the seventeen wards of New Orleans, located in the easternmost downriver portion of the city. It suffered catastrophic flooding from Hurricane Katrina in 2005.
- Katherine: "Klaus is gone."
- Stefan: "Wait, what do you mean Klaus is gone?"
- Tour Guide: "Welcome to the dark side of New Orleans, where the living are easily lost and the dead stick around to play."
- Marcel: "Niklaus Mikaelson; my mentor, my savior, my sire."
- Klaus: "Marcel has got everything I ever wanted. Power, loyalty, family. I want what he has. I want it back. I want to be king."
- Klaus: "No. It's impossible. Vampires cannot procreate."
- Sophie: "But werewolves can. Magic made you a vampire, but you were born a werewolf. You're the Original Hybrid, the first of your kind, and this pregnancy is one of nature's loopholes."
- Klaus: (to Hayley) "You've been with someone else, admit it!"
- Hayley: "Hey, I've spent days held captive in a freaking alligator bayou because they think that I'm carrying some magical miracle baby. Don't you think I would've fessed up if it wasn't yours?"
- Sophie: "My sister gave her life to perform the spell she needed to confirm this pregnancy. Because of Jane-Anne's sacrifice, the lives of this girl and her baby are now controlled by us. If you don't help us take down Marcel, so help me, Hayley won't live long enough to see her first maternity dress."
- Klaus: "For a thousand years, I lived in fear. Any time I settled anywhere, our father would hunt me down and... chase me off. He made me feel powerless, and I hated it. This town was my home once, and in my absence, Marcel has gotten everything that I ever wanted. Power, loyalty, family. I made him in my image and he has bettered me. I want what he has. I want to be king."
- Elijah: "And what of Hayley and the baby?"
- Klaus: "Every king needs an heir."