SummaryBORN TO BE WILD — Connor continues his search to uncover the secrets of Mystic Falls and tries to convince Jeremy to work with him. With Meredith’s help, Damon and Klaus question Connor, but the confrontation takes a lethal turn. Trying to keep her new life as normal as possible, Elena is determined to continue her senior year at Mystic Falls High with support from Matt and Caroline. Rebekah’s arrival at school makes it difficult for Elena to control her anger, but she learns that confronting Rebekah can be extremely dangerous. Later, Rebekah realizes how alone she is, and reaches out to April. Stefan takes Elena on a thrilling motorcycle ride in an effort to show her that life can still be fun. Tyler gets a surprise visit from Hayley, a werewolf who helped him through the ordeal of breaking his sire-bond to Klaus. Concerned about Elena, as well as his own emotions, Stefan turns to a sympathetic Caroline for advice.
- Antagonist: Connor Jordan and Rebekah Mikaelson.
- This is the first episode of The Hunter Chapter.
- Rebekah moves out of Klaus´ mansion.
- This is the second episode of the show in which a vampire's daylight ring is taken off them. The first was Damon in Season One, in this episode it is Elena.
- Elena is the fifth main character to be infected with werewolf venom after Damon, Katherine, Stefan and Caroline. While Rebekah is also infected, the venom only weakens her temporarily because she is an Original.
- This episode reveals that Jeremy is a potential member of The Five.
- Damon and Klaus team up, leading to a possible friendship.
- April and Rebekah begin a friendship in this episode.
- This episode had about 2.870 million viewers in the USA.
- This is the first episode where Werewolf Venom is transmitted to Vampires via ingestion, instead of the usual method of infection via a bite.
- It was implied that Rebekah never took a bite from a Werewolf before, as she was unfamiliar to the hallucinogenic effects of Werewolf Venom after drinking the beer that Connor laced with the venom.
- This episode marks the first instance of a non-Werewolf using Werewolf Venom as a weapon.
- This is the first time Hayley is introduced and the first time Klaus meets Hayley.
- Hayley is the first werewolf seen since The Reckoning.
- Elena almost kills Matt while feeding, just as Caroline in Bad Moon Rising, but Damon stops her from killing Matt.
- Damon tells a scared Elena that he'll teach her how to be a proper vampire by teaching her how to properly feed.
- This episode was a perfect example of Unspoken Plan Guarantee , meaning that a plan's likelihood to succeed it inversely proportional to how much the audience know about it. Since we knew nothing of Damon's plan to snare Connor it worked as clockwork.
- Another great example of Torture Always Works - despite the fact that the vampire that was feeding on Matt could have just as well compelled him to forget everything about it, Connor was sure he was going to get a truthful answer when he put his knife on Matt's neck. Lucky for Matt he had an scapegoat vampire waiting in the wings (Rebekah).
- A classic rule of writing is that one should show, not tell how they are feeling. Elena's constantly repeating that she hates Rebekah and has never felt such rage is a sad example of "that makes me do angry ": stating the emotions because she cannot show it thought actions or expressions. Unless it's actually "so this is what anger feels like? " the trope used when a character who is so nice (or without emotions) and has never felt angry before.
- The security guards from Star Trek , the original series, wore Red Shirts. Since many of them were nameless and never survive the away mission, this became the trope namer. Every time that some nameless character is introduced, and we expect them to die soon, they are called "Red Shirts"
- The sequence where Matt appears and tells Rebekah exactly what she needed to hear, but then he was not there, is a great example of it was "all just a Dream "!
- It seems that neither Tyler/Caroline nor Stefan/Elena "can't get no Satisfaction ": their make out sessions have been interrupted by serious "moment killers ".
- Although Damon warns him not to boast, it seems that Jeremy is taking a level in Badass. He left behind the days of geeky pothead and looks able to hold his own on a fight, or at least take part on a evil plan to take out the hunter who wants to kill all his friends.
- The Urban dictionary defines Rager as a student party where lots of alcohol is consumed.
- anger management - a system of techniques to control the triggers and effects of an angered emotional state.
- "bury the hatchet " - American expression meaning "to make peace". Probably an allusion to putting down the Tomahawk to end hostilities between natives and colonists. In times of peace, weapons should be buried (cached).
- Caroline tells Stefan he should write a self help book for Vampires and go on The View : an ABC talk show created by Barbara Walters. The original format has four women discussing everyday subjects and jointly interviewing famous people.
- Something Wicked this Way Comes is a 1963 Ray Bradbury novel about a traveling circus whose sinister owner has a tattoo for each person he has bound in service (similar to Connor's tattoo, that grow with each killing...)
- Elena riding Stefan's bike with arms outstretched reminded us of Rosie and Jack standing on the prow of the Titanic shouting "I am the king of the world!!!"
Behind The Scenes
- Brian Young delivered a draft of 4.03. In José Molina´s words, the episode has “More sex and blood than you can shake a white oak stake at!” 
- According to Julie Plec, Elena’s just a roller coaster of anger, and hostility, and compassion, and sadness. Watching Rebekah push her buttons to the extreme had driven Elena to a pretty dark place.  
- Zach Roerig makes his 50th appearance as Matt Donovan in this episode. The other actors who appear in 50 episodes or more are: Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley, Ian Somerhalder, Candice Accola, Steven R. McQueen and Katerina Graham.
- Klaus, Rebekah and Meredith were last seen in Growing Pains.
- Damon and Meredith read Pastor Young's letter, which is first seen in Memorial.
- In this episode, a main character attempts to kill Rebekah for the second time this season. The first time Damon attacked her with the White Oak Stake in Growing Pains and now Elena.
- Damon, Stefan, Matt, Klaus, Connor and Jeremy all mentioning the events from Memorial.
- Tyler mentions to Klaus about the body-switching incident which happened in The Departed/Growing Pains.
- Alaric was mentioned by Stefan and Rebekah. He was last seen in Memorial as a ghost.
- Elena mentions to Rebekah about Klaus leaving her. In Growing Pains, Klaus snapped Rebekah's neck before leaving town.
- This is the second time that Matt is almost killed by a friend/ex-girlfriend after they've become a vampire. The first time was by Caroline in Bad Moon Rising. The Second time is by Elena in this episode.
- Rebekah mentioning the events from The Departed: killing Alaric, which leads to Matt and Elena run off the road on Wickery Bridge, and almost got killed by Alaric.
- The White Oak Stake was last seen in Growing Pains. This is its second appearance in Season Four.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Hayley (guest starring Phoebe Tonkin).
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- Elena (To Stefan in response to Rebekah walking in) : "Ugh...and just like that, I'm no longer feeling sentimental."
- Rebekah (To Elena) : "You're welcome to join, Elena, if you'd like to bury the hatchet."
- Elena (To Rebekah) : "It's a pretty enormous hatchet."
- Rebekah (To Elena) : "Well, I'm feeling generous of spirit."
- Elena (To Rebekah) : "So you left the only person on earth that actually likes you?"
- Rebekah (To Elena) : "Well, your boyfriend liked me once, actually, a lot more than once."
- Rebekah (To Stefan and Elena) : "Well, history is my favorite class. Actually, where is Mr. Saltzman? Oh, that's right. (Whispers) I killed him."
- Elena (To Stefan about Rebekah) : "I hate her. I didn't think I was capable of hate, but I hate her... and I hate that I hate her!"
- Rebekah (To Elena) : "See you in gym, I think it's dodge ball day."
- Hayley (To Tyler) : "Hey, Lockwolf!"
- Rebekah (To Elena) : "You come into my house, throw around false accusations and then you have the nerve to drink my beer?"
- Stefan (To Elena) : "See, rage is a really powerful feeling...but guilt...take it from me...it'll destroy you."
- Klaus (To Tyler) : "I don't know anything, but I put together a pretty convincing picture. Why don't you tell me where my imagination deviates from reality?
- Klaus (To Tyler) : "You went off to the Appalachians to break my sire bond. There you met a pack of werewolves, begged them for help, among them was a girl, she was gorgeous, with the same animal instincts as you. Emotions ran high, inhibitions ran low, then in a moment of weakness, the thick sexual tension became something much more real... and Caroline has no idea."
- Klaus (To Connor) : "There's more to you than meets the eye, isn't there?"
- Klaus (To Connor) : "Nice try, but I'm faster than your average Vampire."
- Klaus (To Tyler) : "I should've killed you for the little stunt you and your friends pulled. Stopping my heart, leaving me in a coffin to rot."
- Tyler (To Klaus) : "Yeah, well, you used my body as an escape hatch, then kissed my girlfriend, so maybe we're even."
- Klaus (To Tyler) : "Not even close, but you Hybrids are a dying breed. I can't make more of you, and I won't have anyone taking liberties with the ones I have left. Consider them your new bodyguards."
- Damon: "Good day for a mid-life crisis. 164 years? I’d say you’re due."
- Stefan: "Elena’s transition into a vampire has been a little depressing. I want to help her have some fun."
- Damon: "Oh. Those who can’t do, teach."
- Stefan: "Well, I see that we’re still fighting. Got it. Where are you going?"
- Damon: "That hunter jacked Tyler Lockwood of his werewolf venom last night so he’s basically got vampire poison in a bottle. And I’m going to find him. And I’m going to eat him."
- Stefan: "I’ll go with you."
- Damon: "I don’t want your help. I just want to kill this guy and get the hell out of here. Isn't that the deal? Whoever Elena doesn't choose, leaves?"
- Stefan: "That was before she turned."
- Damon: "And I stayed to help. If I take you punching me as the first clue, I’m not wanted here anymore."
- Stefan: "Listen, you blood-shared with my girlfriend and I punched you in the face. You deserved it. Why don’t you stop being dramatic?"
- Damon: "No, brother, dramatic will be leaving before I kill this hunter."
- Connor: "Tell me which of your high school friends is a bloodsucker."
- Matt: "Rebekah. Rebekah Mikaelson."
- Connor: "Thank you. When you wake up, she'll be long gone."
- Rebekah: "Hey Matt." (Matt does not reply.)
- Rebekah: "So I'm having a little party, you should ditch last period and come." (Matt continues to ignore her and swap books out of his locker.)
- Rebekah: "Look, I know you're still angry I ran you off the bridge, but you have to understand. Alaric killed my brother, he was trying to kill me, I had to do something to stop him. I never wanted to hurt you."
- Klaus: "I see my reputation precedes me. Nothing to bad I hope?"
- Hayley: "A little bad. Mostly repulsive."
- Meredith: "Why are you being so cryptic?"
- Damon: "Close the door."
- Meredith: "Tell me that is not a bomb."
- Damon: "Ok, it's a kitten. It's an adorable exploding kitten."
- Meredith: "Why didn't you call your brother?"
- Damon: "Because I'm proud, and stubborn, and... Oh look! You're already here! Come on, you're not going to get hurt. All I need you to do is be doctorly, cut out the arrow. I'd do it myself but if I move... (touches the wires) Puff!"
- Meredith: "Ok." (picks up a hunter's knife and starts to work on the arrow)
- Damon: "So, how well do you know Pastor Young?"
- Meredith: "He was a patient of mine. Always a nice guy."
- Damon: "Nice crazy guy. He wrote a letter about sacrifice and war brewing in Mystic Falls.
- Meredith: "What does it mean, a greater evil is coming? Don't we have great evil already?"
- Damon: "You'd think!"
- Stefan: "You came."
- Klaus: " I did. And for future reference, one voicemail is just as effective as nine."
- Damon(About Klaus): Maybe you can cue me in on this greater evil because I fought this guy and there's nothing more evil than that.
- Klaus(About himself): Yea truth be told I'm as evil as it gets.