|“||So this is the latest doppelgänger? The original one was much prettier.||”|
A SENIOR PRANK NIGHT TO DIE FOR — Despite all that has happened, Caroline is determined to see that Elena, Bonnie, Matt and Tyler all enjoy the traditional Senior Prank Night before the school year begins at Mystic Falls High School. However, when uninvited guests show up, it doesn't take long for the evening to take a deadly turn. Damon convinces Jeremy that he can use his new connection to the other side to help find a way to defeat Klaus. Finally, Klaus deepens his hold on Stefan and uses him for an increasingly violent and dangerous purpose.
- Antagonists: Niklaus Mikaelson and Rebekah Mikaelson.
- Although he has been part of the main cast from the very beginning of the show, this is the first episode ever in which Zach Roerig does a Previously On-voiceover.
- It is also the only episode in which he does a Previously on voiceover.
- This is the first time Katherine and Damon kiss in Season Three, and the fourth time in the series to date.
- Tyler becomes a hybrid and the first successfully-transitioned hybrid sired by Klaus.
- Tyler will be the last werewolf seen in the series until The Rager.
- We learn that Klaus needs Elena's doppelgänger blood in order to continue to successfully turn more werewolves into hybrids successfully. Damon scares off Klaus before he can take Elena by threatening him with the fact that he knows about Mikael and where he's been entombed.
- Klaus and Rebekah meet Matt, Tyler, Bonnie and Caroline in this episode.
- Rebekah meets Elena.
- Matt becomes a medium in this episode, just like Jeremy became in As I Lay Dying.
- However, in the next episode, it is suggested that his medium abilities are limited to just Vicki's spirit.
- This is the first episode this season in which Jeremy has the least amount of screen time.
- Although Sebastian Roché was credited at the beginning of the episode, his character (Mikael) only appeared at the end of the episode.
- This episode marks the last of the main characters (Matt) dying and being returned to life shortly afterward.
- This episode was meant to be the last appearance of Rebekah in the series. However, the popularity of her character contributed to her being upgraded as a major recurring character.
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- Charlotte, North Carolina
- Dana - drained of blood, killed by Stefan
- Chad - drained of blood, killed by Stefan.
- Tyler Lockwood - broken neck, killed by Klaus (awakened in transition to be a hybrid).
- Matt returns in this episode. He was last seen in The Hybrid.
- Mystic Falls High School was last seen in Season Two's The Last Dance.
- This is Klaus' first visit to Mystic Falls High School. In The Last Dance, he was in Alaric's body.
- Dana was last seen in Season Two's The Descent and The Last Dance.
- Vicki was last seen in The Hybrid.
- Klaus mentions his unsuccessful sacrifice ritual to Bonnie, which happened in The Sun Also Rises. And in The Hybrid, his plan to make hybrids went horribly wrong.
- When Matt refers to the spirits of the one hundred witches whom Bonnie was channeling, she mentions her part in bringing Jeremy back to life, which happened in As I Lay Dying.
- Pearl was mentioned by Katherine. She was killed by John Gilbert in Season One's Blood Brothers.
- Damon mentions Anna's death (staked by John), which happened in Founder's Day.
- Klaus meets Elena and Bonnie for the third time in this episode. He previously met them in Season Two's The Last Dance (in Alaric's body) and The Sun Also Rises.
- This is the third episode to have Jeremy and Katherine interacting. The previous two episodes were Masquerade and The Sacrifice.
- Mikael was last seen in The End of the Affair.
- Katherine (as Elena) stole Elena's necklace from Bonnie, which happened in Disturbing Behavior.
- Rebekah mentions the Original Petrova to Elena.
- Her name would remain unknown until Bringing Out The Dead, in which it was revealed to be Tatia.
- Senior Prank: The idea is to do something memorable, that future generations of students will talk about.
- When Katherine suggests to Damon that they could stop at a Truck stop for a "bite" it could be a reference to From Dusk till Dawn, a Quentin Tarantino movie from 1996. At a truck stop by the Mexican Border, the employees of the bar are all vampires and drink from the patrons before dawn.
- Wolf Boy is a reference to boys that are raised by wolves, like Mowgli, from Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book.
- Sexual Tension: when two individuals interact, there is sexual desire from one or the two, but sexual act is never consummated.
- Teenybopper: Teenage girls who wear everything that everybody is wearing, listen to the music that everybody is listening, giggle, gossip and are very superficial.
- Petty Little Thing is the name of a song by Fink.
- "Tick Tock Goes the Clock" is the name of an episode of Doctor Who.
- One Pony Town is an expression meaning very small and boring place.
- The Reckoning is also the title of episode 10 of the second season of the TV Series Medium.
- In the bathroom stall next to R.I.P. Vicki Donovan there's a writing that says Ziggy Rules which is a reference to David Bowie's alter ego Ziggy Stardust.
Behind the Scenes
- Bonnie: "Listen to me, I know you wanna help and I know you miss your sister, but what you did was reckless and stupid."
- Matt: "I know, Bonnie. I know. But it worked. It was worth it."
- Bonnie: "You don’t want to be part of all this, Matt. You’re the only one of us who actually gets to live their life like a normal person, no matter how lost you feel. Don’t forget that."
- Elena: "Where were you, Damon?"
- Damon: "I shouldn't have left. I promise you, I will never leave you again."
- Rebekah: (to Stefan) "You took a beating. My brother's been breaking your neck all afternoon. Quite the temper."
- Klaus: "Attention, seniors! You have officially been busted. Prank night is over. Head on home."
- Klaus: "Fascinating, I've never seen this before. The only thing stronger than your craving for blood is your love for this one girl... Why don't you turn it off?"
- Damon: (to Katherine after making out with her) "Thought I’d give it a shot. Truth is, you just don’t do it for me anymore."
- Caroline: "Do you think Matt's gonna be okay?"
- Tyler: "I’m kissing you and you’re wondering about your ex-boyfriend."
- Matt: "Do you realize that just last summer, you and I were lifeguards at the pool?"
- Bonnie: "Hmm."
- Matt: "And the only two problems I had in my life were that Elena was breaking up with me and I sucked at CPR."
- Bonnie: "Everything was so different then."
- Matt: "Yeah, I know. Elena's dating a vampire, you’re a witch, my sister’s a ghost, and I’m just a guy who’s wondering how life got so screwed up."
- Klaus: "I assume you're the reason Elena's still walking around alive."
- Bonnie: "That's right. If you wanna blame someone, blame me."
- Klaus: "Oh, there's no need for blame, love. Just your witchy interference seems to have caused some undesirable side effects. And, since you caused the problem, I'm gonna have you find the fix."
- Klaus: "Every time I attempt to turn a werewolf into a vampire hybrid, they die during the transition. It's quite horrible, actually."
- (Klaus feeds Tyler his blood)
- Klaus: "I need you to find a way to save my hybrids, Bonnie. And for Tyler's sake, you' better hurry."
- (Klaus snaps Tyler's neck)
- Matt: (about Tyler) "He killed him."
- Elena: "He's not dead. Klaus' blood will turn him into a vampire."
- Klaus: "And if Bonnie's successful, he'll live through his transition. (to Bonnie) Go on, then. Go and fetch your grimoires and enchantments and whatnot. I'll hold on to Elena for safekeeping."
- Bonnie: "I can’t contact the dead, but Jeremy can."
- Katherine: "What if I told you there was a way to kill Klaus? And not dagger dead. Dead-dead."
- Damon: "I’d say you were desperate and lying. Or drunk. Or a desperate, lying drunk."
- Klaus: (to Stefan) "Let’s drink on it. Kill them."
- Klaus: (to Stefan) "All I wanted was your allegiance. Now I’ll have to take it."
- Katherine: (to Damon) "My advice: If you want to make an omelet you have to break a few legs."
- Rebekah: "Why is that doppelgänger bitch wearing my necklace?"
- Matt: "You don’t need magic, Bonnie. You just have to be better than I was at CPR."
- Stefan: (to Elena) "The more blood I get, the more I want. And if I get so much as near yours, you are dead."
- Klaus: (to Stefan) "Come on. Your humanity is killing you!"
- Klaus: "You know how much the Original witch hated me. Do you honestly think I would do anything other than the opposite of what she says?"
- Rebekah: "One thousand years in the grave, and she’s still screwing with you."
- Stefan: "I've done everything Klaus has asked me to."
- Rebekah: "No, you just failed to mention that the doppelgänger's still alive."
- Stefan: "Where is Klaus now?"
- Rebekah: "With any luck, ripping that cow's bloody head off."
- (Stefan leaps at Rebekah)
- Stefan: "Where is she!?"
- Rebekah: "You really do love her, don't you?"
- (Rebekah hits Stefan with a crowbar)
- Rebekah: "Consider me jealous."
- (Rebekah stabs him through the chest with the crowbar)
- Stefan: (to Elena) "I owe you everything. Because through all of this, you are the one thing that kept me from giving up, from turning it all off."
- Rebekah: (to Caroline) "Tick-tock goes the gym clock."
- Tyler: "This is going to be an amazing year."
- Klaus: "There's my girl."
- Elena: "Klaus."
- Klaus: "You are supposed to be dead. What are we gonna do about that?"
- Caroline: "Uh, do we know you?"
- Rebekah: "You're Caroline, Elena's friend, which makes you Tyler, the werewolf."
- Caroline: "And who are you?"
- Rebekah: "I'm the new girl."
- Klaus: "I'd like you all to meet my sister, Rebekah. A word of warning, she can be quite mean."
- Rebekah: "Don't be an ass."