|This page is an official policy on The Vampire Diaries Wiki. It has wide acceptance among editors and is considered a standard that all users should follow. When editing this page, please ensure that your revision reflects consensus. When in doubt, discuss first on the talk page.|
Although we do not have a strict policy on what is to happen in chat/what topics to be discussed, we do ask that users follow the below guidelines. Users who do not behave in chat will be blocked on, but not limited to, any of the grounds below:
- Personal attacks, harassment, sexual harassment, insults, bullying, homophobia or religion predujice.
- Racial bigotry, sexually degrading language, or other hate speech.
- Extreme use of profanity/cursing or directing it towards another user is not permitted.
- Users under the age of 13 are not permitted to enter the chat.
- Trolling or general irritation or disruption of other users. This often includes, but is not limited to; excessive usage of capital letters, punctuation marks, deliberate distortions of the English language (such as "1337" or "Dolan" speak), and excessive usage of languages other than English. Making arrangements to troll or otherwise disrupt another chat room or service is not permitted in our chatroom. This does not prevent you from joining another chatroom, linking another chatroom, or encouraging others to visit if the topic of conversation is likely to be of interest.
- Being a dick. As a guideline, don't go out of your way to irritate others. (And especially do not try to test the admin's and/or chat moderator's patience and/or limits.) Vicious abuse is grounds for sanctions.
- Whining. Users who ask for something from another chat user and are refused it should not stoop to complaining. It is acceptable to be persistent, but in a mature manner.
- Discussion of real world issues and events is generally permitted. However, before raising any of these points or joining a discussion on these you should remember that your fellow chatters may hold strong views in these areas. Where a particular subject appears to be causing distress, offense, or is otherwise disrupting the ability for others to enjoy chat, a moderator at their discretion may direct that a conversation either be closed or moved into private chat. This may be done either by request to a mod, or by the mod's own initiative, when those factors are present. In the event of mods disagreeing to end a discussion, the decision to ends takes precedence unless there are more active mods who disagree with the decision than agree. Moderators should avoid closing discussions outside of a publicly made request when they are involved in the discussion (unless they are the only active mod).
- Spamming. The meaning should be obvious. Don't say the same thing six times because no one is responding to you. Don't keep yammering on about a subject nobody cares about. Meaningless and/or random posts can also be considered spam, alongside disruptive internet memes.
- The usage of capital letters and caps lock is frowned upon. Using capital letters to write a word or a whole entry is typically perceived as obnoxious. Using excessive capital letters once will often result in a courtesy warning by an administrator or chat moderator, and persistent usage of capital letters may lead to a kick or ban, depending on severity.
- Linking to other wikia/outside sources. We permit interwiki links but will not permit users who enter the chat just to link to their wiki/website or ouside source. Linking to the CC wikia is permitted and only the one. We also accept links to outside sources within The Vampire Diaries & The Originals universe. This can range from links to articles about said topics, streams and/or videos. We do not have a policy on linking YouTube video's as long as the topic is sensible and not pornography/unacceptable behavior.
Users entering the chat are expected to have prior knowledge of all rules. We would like to remind users that Moderators are free to deal with any of the above-stated topics at their discretion. Moderators are free to enforce a ban for any amount of time or a kick without needing approval of an administrator.
The chat emoticons can be found here.
“I don't break Marcel's rules.”