|“||Damon: Where are you?
Stefan: Not where I'm supposed to be, which is with my girlfriend who just gave birth. Instead, I'm running from a hunter who won't stop chasing me until she's put down.
VAMPIRE HUNTER RAYNA CRUZ ARRIVES TO MYSTIC FALLS -- When complications from her supernatural pregnancy leave Caroline's life hanging in the balance, Stefan and Valerie take extreme measures to try and save her and the babies. Meanwhile, after uncovering a dark secret about Damon, Enzo uses the information to force Damon into helping him track down Rayna Cruz, a ruthless vampire hunter who is on the loose. However, when Damon's actions inadvertently put everyone he loves in Rayna's path, he is forced to make things right before it's too late. Bonnie and Alaric also appear.
- Anatagonists: Rayna Cruz (present day) and Julian (flashbacks).
- Rayna's origins are shown in this episode as to why she want all of the Heretics dead. Her father is revealed to be a member of the Brotherhood of the Five, who trained her as a vampire hunter at her insistence. She was compelled by Julian to kill him.
- Rayna in 1842 near Saint Malo, LA asks her father to train her to fight vampires and for 15 years (1857) he does so. Then a horn sounds from town signals vampires and her father goes off to face them leaving Rayna at their camp.
- Julian appeared to know of the Five whereas other vampires didn't except Katherine and The Originals themselves. He also knew of the Hunter's Curse.
- In 1903, it is shown why the Heretics and Julian were to travel in the cargo hold while Lily had a cabin on the ship back to New York so as not to attract Rayna's attention by traveling in such a large group. This is before Rayna shows up and throws the Phoenix Sword into Julian's heart before they rode off, showing how she lost possession of it.
- Beau was heard speaking for the first time just before Rayna stabbed him in the neck, severing his vocal cords and giving Beau his scar.
- The Phoenix Sword according to the lead shaman is linked to her soul as he gives it to her. When he does the stone glows when she first holds the sword in her hand.
- Damon tells Rayna she reminds of him of his girlfriend Elena Gilbert and her three Petrova doppelgängers Amara, Tatia and Katherine Pierce.
- Rayna kills Beau with the Phoenix Sword in front of Nora and Mary Louise who immediately flee. She then destroys Beau's body with fire.
- With Beau's death, Valerie Tulle, Nora Hildegard and Mary Louise are the only remaining members of the Heretics.
- Stefan is shown how he was marked by Rayna, when at Bonnie's pleading to help Damon unaware that Damon believes he killed Elena in Things We Lost in the Fire.
- Damon learns from Enzo that Elena is alive and her coffin is safe in New York under the protection of some new friends.
- Enzo tells Damon that he and Tyler used an empty coffin as a decoy, knowing he was still hallucinating.
- Stefan goes inside Caroline's head to keep her company during the medical procedure.
- Caroline gives birth to Jo and Alaric babies through C-section. In the 3 years flash forward she is seen driving a car with the twins. One of the girls asks where they are going and she answers that they are on their way to New Orleans to see a friend of mommy.
- Alaric was last seen in Things We Lost in the Fire.
- Carol Lockwood was last mentioned in Never Let Me Go by Damon. She was last seen in O Come, All Ye Faithful.
- Elena was last mentioned in Postcards from the Edge by Damon. Sh was last seen as a hallucination in Things We Lost in the Fire.
- Beau was last seen in Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me.
- The Brotherhood of the Five was last seen in Graduation.
- Saint Malo, Louisiana
- Woods (flashback)
- Village (flashback)
- London, England (flashback)
- Grove Hill, Virginia
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- McKinley, Virginia
- Vicente - Stabbed; killed by Rayna Cruz (through compulsion by Julian)
- 8 Shamans - Stabbed; killed by themselves (through ritual)
- Rayna Cruz - Stabbed; killed by Julian (temporary)
- Julian (Flashback) - stabbed with the Phoenix Sword; killed by Rayna
- Beau - Stabbed with the phoenix stone Sword by Rayna Cruz
Behind the Scenes
- Similar to Caspar Zafer (Finn) in The Murder of One and Susan Walters (Carol) in O Come, All Ye Faithful. Jaiden Kaine is billed as Guest Star in the episode his character is killed.
- Hashtag during the airing is #BundlesofFeels
- This Woman's Work is a song by Kate Bush.
- "This Woman's Work" is the sixth episode of the eighth season of the American science fiction Syfy TV series Defiance.
- The song was used at key moments in episodes from TV shows: Ghost Whisperer, Alias, Party of Five, Crossing Jordan, 7th Heaven, Without a Trace, and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
- Woman's work (or women's work) is a term used particularly in the West to indicate work that is believed to be exclusively the domain of women and associates particular tasks with the female gender.
- The Hunger Games is a series of three adventure novels written by the American author Suzanne Collins. The film series consists of four science fiction dystopian adventure films based on the books.
- The L Word follows the lives and loves of a group of lesbian friends living in Los Angeles.
- In 1903 Beau sang "A Bird in a Gilded Cage" which was the title of the season six episode in which he first appeared.
- Nora: "She'll never stop! She'll go after every other vampire in her path!"
- Valerie (To Stefan): "I think the babies want to stay where they can keep feeding off Caroline as a source of magic. I don't think they want to be born."
- Bonnie: "What are you doing here?"
- Enzo: "It's a long story, love. Let's just say for today that I'm your guardian angel."
- Enzo (To Rayna): "I knew if I sent those postcards, one of the Heretics would lead me right to you."
- Nora: "She'll go after any other vampire in her path, and right now this hospital's full of them."