WILLPOWER — After learning that someone from Stefan's past may be Damon and Enzo's next target, Stefan, Bonnie and Caroline head to North Carolina. There, Bonnie takes drastic measures in an attempt to break Enzo free of whatever has a hold over him. At the Armory, Alaric and Georgie stumble upon a mysterious symbol that may be related to the supernatural force controlling Damon and Enzo. Finally, Caroline gets an unexpected surprise from Stefan.
Damon and Enzo locate a guy who claims he's a pacifist, but earns his money from making parts for the guns. They bring him to Sybil and she drowns him in the pool.
Meanwhile, Bonnie thinks that Enzo's on their side and that he keeps leaving trails for her to find him and free him. Sybil notices that he's not fully committed to the work and by using mind control learns about Sarah Nelson. Sybil sends Damon and Enzo to track and kill her.
Caroline moves to Salvatore Boarding House and while she, Stefan and Bonnie are researching the list of recent victims, realize that the victims are all named Sarah Nelson. They race to North Carolina to try and stop Damon and Enzo.
Meanwhile, Damon and Enzo find Sarah. When they try to get her somewhere private, she stabs Damon with a vervain dart. Enzo tells her to run from the country. They go to grab her things from her apartment, but Bonnie and Stefan are already there. Bonnie and Enzo talk and he tells her everything about Sybil. He tells her that he must return soon to Sybil and she knocks him down. She drives him far from North Carolina, but his nose starts bleeding because he's too far from Sybil. Realizing that she can't save him now, she lets him get back to Sybil.
Meanwhile, Stefan reveals Sarah's backstory to her, but Damon arrives and threatens Sarah. Stefan tries to reason with him, and he decides to spare her. She starts to run, but Sybil herself arrives and stabs her. Stefan tries to save her by feeding her his blood, but Sybil uses mind control to stop him. She she also learns about Elena Gilbert and changes Damon's memories of her. Sybil later enters Enzo's mind and finds out about Bonnie.
While reading the old logs, Alaric discovers that The Armory received an artifact from 2200 BC in 1790 from Mystic Falls. There's a symbol in the logs, which Georgie later reveals that she has tattooed on her. She explains that she saw the symbol after her near-death experience in a car crash. Later that day, Georgie finds a fork with the same symbol.
At the boarding house, Stefan proposes to Caroline and she accepts.
- Antagonist: Sybil.
- The episode title could also refer to Sybil altering Damon's memories of him and Elena by replacing Elena with herself.
- Bonnie learns about Sarah in this episode.
- Sybil is revealed to be unable to get inside the minds of Damon and Enzo, however that changes by the end of this episode.
- Damon's way to resist Sybil was to go to his memories of Elena and him. Sybil finds out about Elena because of Stefan. Sybil then replaces Elena in all his memories making him believe that she's the love of his life, not Elena.
- She also finds out about Bonnie by finally getting inside Enzo's mind.
- Sybil kills Sarah, the last living blood relative of Stefan and Damon, leaving them as the only remaining members of the Salvatore family.
- Stefan proposes to Caroline using her full name. It revealed her middle name is Elizabeth, which means that her middle name is named after her mother's first name.
- This is the only episode of The Vampire Diaries in which one of the twins (in this case Lizzie) appears while the other doesn't. Lizzie is only heard on the phone.
- Businessman - Drowned; killed by Sybil
- Sarah Nelson McGowan - Neck wound; killed by Enzo or Damon
- Sarah Jane Nelson - Neck wound; killed by Enzo or Damon
- Sarah Nelson - Stabbed; killed by Sybil
- Girl - Drowned or Drained of Blood; killed by Sybil and Damon Salvatore
- Sarah Nelson was last seen in I Never Could Love Like That.
- Zach Salvatore was mentioned. He was last seen in Black Hole Sun in a flashback.
- Gail was mentioned. She was last seen in Black Hole Sun in a flashback.
- "Harvey" was mentioned. He was last seen as a skeleton in Hello, Brother.
- Liam Davis was indirectly mentioned by Sarah. He was last seen in The Downward Spiral.
- Stefan indirectly mentions Giuseppe, Lily, Zachariah, Tom, his younger half-brother, his unborn child, Silas and Joseph Salvatore.
- Giuseppe was last seen in Mommie Dearest in a flashback.
- Lily was last seen in Hell Is Other People in a hallucination.
- Zachariah was last seen in 1912 in a flashback.
- Tom was last seen in Rescue Me.
- Zachariah's father and Stefan's half-brother was last mentioned in 1912.
- His unborn child was first mentioned in Age of Innocence and seen in Best Served Cold as a dream.
- Silas was last seen in Home.
- Joseph was last seen in The Cell in a flashback.
- Sybil's Lair
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- Grove Hill, Virginia
- Durham, North Carolina
Behind the Scenes
- "Today will be different" is Elena's first line while writing in her diary in Pilot.
- Hashtag during the airing is #TodayWillBeDifferent
- Sybil: "It's time for fun."
- Sybil: "Where does your subconscious go when you try to resist me?"
- Enzo: "And on that day, I was unprepared for your attack, now I am prepared. Anyway I don't know why you're complaining, my freewill is at rock bottom. I do almost everything you say, even when I don't want too."
- Sybil: "It's the almost part of that sentence that vexes me. Come here! Come on, just a peek."
- Enzo: "Go"
- Damon: "So I thinking of a person, reasonably good looking, charming accent, who would be the most amazing wingman if he'd just got rid of his martyr complex."
- Enzo: "That's not how you play twenty questions. Regardless, your answer is either Jesus Christ or me."
- Damon: "Got it on the second try. Why are you resisting instruction?"
- Enzo: "I'm not resisting anything. I'm here, stalking Sarah Nelson, with you, as instructed. What in this tabloid reads me resisting?"
- Damon: "Oh yeah, you here but you're distracted. You're not having any fun, Enzo."
- Enzo: "You're impossibly needy."
- Damon: "No, I'm highly engaged and I want you to be like me. Come on man, we finally got a cushy assignment for once, I mean chasing unsuspecting women that happen to share the same name. Why can't you enjoy the change of pace."
- Enzo: "Because I'm wondering what the boss lady is up too? Why is she suddenly pushing the pause button on her mysterious master plan."
- Damon: "Easy, she has a new priority. Giving you a spanking. You put her in a mood, now she wants you to flip your switch. Why did you have to go an piss her off?"
- Enzo: "How are you so afraid of her without your emotions?"
- Damon: "No so much I'm afraid of her, I'm afraid of that eternal damnation preview she gave me when she got into my head."
- Enzo: "That's mind games, none of it is real."
- Damon: "I disagree with all of your opinions. Ah there she is."