|“||And the man that pretended to be a family friend, but actually hated us for an eternity, has turned himself into some creature. Here which, for all we know, could be the bloody beast the prophecy said would end us!||”|
An Upgraded Original Vampire, is a term used to describe the type of Upgraded Original vampire that Lucien Castle and Marcel Gerard became when a reversed engineered Immortality Spell was used to turn them. It was prophesied to be the undoing of the Mikaelson siblings or created from the destruction of the Original Family.
This is a branch of Original species similar to the Enhanced Original vampire, like Alaric Saltzman was formerly, which was designed to be superior to that of the Originals in very specific ways; being capable of fighting, defeating, and killing normal Originals. As an Upgraded version of an Original vampire, it possesses a bite that is capable of killing an Original as it secretes an extremely potent strain of engineered Werewolf Venom with an altered predator face and more fangs. Unlike hybrids, an Upgraded Original is a vampire infused with a werewolf bite, further distinguishing the species.
In Behind the Black Horizon, Lucien is turned into the first of two Upgraded Original vampires by a reverse engineered and modified version of Esther's Original vampire spell. The spell was cast on hallowed ground, where Esther created the first Originals. Combining a piece of the white oak, Freya's blood and an engineered strain of werewolf venom from each of the seven original werewolf bloodlines, the spell created a serum, enough for two doses. Once Lucien consumed the serum, his death triggered the transformation into an Upgraded Original. In Give 'Em Hell Kid, Marcel would also transform into an Upgraded Original. Both instances, they were originally regular vampires before transitioning into Upgraded Original vampires. This makes the transition unusual as regular vampires are turned as humans either through another vampire or into Originals through magic. One notable difference between the Upgraded Originals and other Originals is that the former don't seem to require human blood to complete the transition from one form to another. Furthermore the typical transition period seems to have been bypassed altogether with the user's death being the only step needed to complete the transformation as in both instances, they displayed their new powers and vampire face immediately upon resurrection, something which is not normal for humans in transition.
- "Drink deep but beware
What you broke is past repair
All your oaths you betray, your sacred vows you sever
And now you see that nothing lasts for always and forever
Three yet remain, two already crossed
Yet in one year's time, you'll all be lost
As your family is undone
You will seed the beast that is to come"
- — Alexis announces the prophecy in For the Next Millennium
A prophecy was predicted about the Beast's rising by Alexis, Lucien Castle's prophetic witch, that explains the Beast will either be the product of the Mikaelson Family becoming undone, or be the reason the family falls. However, it could also mean that after everything and everyone regarding the Mikaelson Family has fallen, the Beast will rise from the ashes. The full meaning of the Prophecy is currently unknown.
Powers and Abilities
Upgraded Originals possess roughly the same powers befitting an Original vampire, but with a few modifications due to the nature of the spell that created them as well as the introduction of advanced werewolf venom.
- Super Strength: They are considerably stronger than Original vampires. Lucien was much stronger than Elijah and Finn when they fought. Lucien even proved to be much stronger than Klaus, the Original hybrid, during their confrontations. Similarly, Marcel was also stronger than the Originals and Klaus, fighting them with ease.
- Super Speed: They are also considerably much faster than most supernatural species seen thus far. They are quite possibly the fastest known creatures as Lucien was able to dodge Klaus' attacks effortlessly.
- Super Agility: They possess more superhuman agility, flexibility and dexterity than any other known supernatural species. They can move quickly, jump very high, climb and run incredibly fast without difficulty or exhaustion.
- Super Senses: They have extremely keen senses of hearing, sight and smell that far exceed any other known supernatural species.
- Super Durability: They can take far more trauma than any other supernatural species. No Original vampire has ever been dismembered, decapitated, or had their heart removed, nor has anyone attempted this, implying that their durability may be close to invincibility.
- Immortality: They are immortal just like any Original vampire. Unlike their strength and resilience, Upgraded Originals seem to be no more or less eternal than an Original vampire.
- Healing Factor: They are able to heal much faster than any other known supernatural species.
- Enhanced Emotions: They experience emotions more powerfully than humans. Emotions like love, joy, and happiness are intensified for vampires allowing them to live life more intensely. This ability allows Upgraded Originals to feel emotions at their peak regardless of their age.
- Emotional Control: They have a limited degree of control over their own emotions though it has been stated that this control fades over time.
- Mind Compulsion: They can control and influence the thoughts, emotions, behavior, actions and memories of humans, non-Original vampires, and non-Original werewolf-vampire hybrids.
- Telepathy: They have the ability to enter the minds of others as long as theirs is stronger than them although, as they are more powerful than Original vampires, they have one of the strongest minds in the world. Normally, this ability works in a tactile fashion and the vampire requires physical contact in order for it to work successfully.
- Dream Manipulation: They can control dreams and subconscious. They can produce and modify dreams, bestow nightmares or lucid dreaming. Other effects of this ability is the ability to distort perceptions of reality and being able to trap someone in their dreams.
- Illusions: They have the power to trick the minds of others into seeing or feeling things that aren't actually happening.
- True Face: Their true face is the appearance they are hiding under their normal human face. When their true face is revealed, their irises turn blood-red as dark veins appear under their eyes as blood is pumped forcefully through them; in addition, the red veins under the Upgraded Original's eyes go down further on their face similar to an Augustine Vampire. This is markedly different from the normal Original vampire's and non-Original vampire's true faces in the sense that Original vampires' and non-Original vampires' sclera turn red when the blood forcibly pushes into their eyes while their irises stay the same color. In another notable divergence from other vampire species, Upgraded Original vampires possess six razor sharp fangs; four on the upper jaw and two on the lower jaw.
- Advanced Werewolf Venom: They possess a bite that is deadly enough to even kill an Original vampire and consequently non-Original vampires. As in the case of Joshua Rosza, he was killed only minutes after having the venom introduced into his system; however, this was due to the venom already injected within his heart, whereas when Camille O'Connell was bitten on the wrist by Lucien, she survived longer but still died quicker than a bite typical of a normal werewolf bite. Klaus' blood, though it can alleviate some of the effects of the venom, such as hallucinations, cannot cure it as the venom that was used in the Immortality Spell was a new strain created from all seven werewolf bloodlines and was designed to have no known cure. Even the blood of an Upgraded Original could not cure the venom; this was evident with Camille. It is unknown how it would affect Klaus or any non-Original werewolf-vampire hybrid as Klaus' and Hope's blood had no chance of curing it. Davina, however, attempted to use Marcel's venom by introducing it directly into Klaus' blood in an attempt to sacrifice him; this implies that even though he's a hybrid, Klaus is susceptible to its fatal effects. However, Freya was able to create an anti-venom by using the venom from all seven werewolf packs and Klaus' blood along with a spell.
- Broken Neck: Breaking an Upgraded Originals neck will not kill them, but it will render them unconscious.
- Desiccation: Being completely drained of blood or the heart stopping will cause an Upgraded Original to desiccate like any other vampire, losing most of its strength and any ability to move. The desiccated beast will appear as a corpse and can only start functioning again once they feed on blood. This process can be replicated artificially by a witch casting a desiccation spell.
- Invitation: In order to enter any house owned by humans, they had to be invited by that person. Once invited the vampire cannot be uninvited, only if ownership of the house is changed can they be removed until re-invited. If a vampire lives in a house, other vampires can enter freely and if a vampire is in the house without being invited in it will become disoriented and will begin to suffocate. It was shown that vampires can be pulled out by extreme force making them have to exit, if ownership is changed while inside.
- Magic: Upgraded Originals are susceptible to the powers of witchcraft. A witch with enough magical power at their disposal could harm or even kill them. Magic can also be used to trap an Upgraded Original through the use of boundary spells, and magic can also be used to desiccate them. Thus far, the only way to kill an Upgraded Original in the absence of a White Oak stake is to channel the power of the ancestors who helped make them and reverse the effects of the spell, turning them back into a non-Original vampire. This is inclusive of mystical and dark objects such as Papa Tunde's Blade, the Cursed Stake, and Freya's Dagger. Likewise, it is assumed that the Cure would have similar effects as with non-Original vampires.
- Physical Trauma: Minor physical injuries such as gunshots, stab wounds and broken bones will cause an Upgraded Original pain and may also slow them down. However, this is momentary as they will heal completely within seconds. Lucien showed some resistance to wooden bullets.
- Sunlight: Sunlight will burn an Upgraded Original, but cannot kill them. Lucien possesses a lapis lazuli ring to combat this.
- Wood: A wooden stake through the heart will desiccate an Upgraded Original vampire and they will appear as if they were dead, but will revive within a few hours, just like the Originals.
- White Oak Ash Daggers: Similar to Originals, it is assumed that enchanted silver daggers dipped in the ash of the white oak tree will neutralize an Upgraded Original vampire when stabbed through the heart. This, however, has not been demonstrated.
- White Oak Stake: The only weapon on earth that can permanently kill an Original vampire, it comes from an ancient White Oak Tree that existed during the time of the genesis of the Original vampires and was used as the source of their immortality. Dahlia destroyed the Indestructible White Oak Stake in Ashes to Ashes and revealed that an Original can slowly die by inhaling what is presumably white oak ash or splinters. In Wild at Heart, it was revealed that the Wooden Knight Klaus carved as a child is made of white oak wood and it was fashioned into seven wooden bullets. The last bullet was destroyed in Lucien's spell to become an Upgraded Original vampire. At current time, this wood is extinct.
- Freya's Dagger: A dagger that was made by Freya with the help of Keelin's expertise in medicine and biology. The dagger was made by using Freya's blood, Esther's magic, Marcel's venom, and the ashes of Lucien Castle. It holds the power to specifically kill an Upgraded Original vampire though has yet to be demonstrated.
Known Upgraded Originals Vampires
|Lucien Castle||Niklaus' first sire, he devised an intricate plan to reverse engineer the original vampirism spell to become a being superior to the Mikalesons. He was the first recipient of the spell, having turned at Mystic Falls when Finn, using Matt Donovan's hand to pull the trigger, shot and killed him. He struck a deal with the ancestors to force Vincent Griffith to perform the spell which allowed him to kill Finn with a bite. He was ultimately killed by Niklaus when Freya used the power she stole from the Ancestors to reverse his spell.||Deceased (Reverted)|
|Marcel Gerard||Niklaus' protégé, he consumed the second dose of serum having been extracted from Aurora by Vincent. He was turned in New Orleans when Elijah ripped out his heart during a confrontation about Davina's death. He sought revenge on the Mikaelsons and successfully drove them out of the city.||Alive|
- It can be assumed since it was the same spell used by Esther and Vincent, that the only real advantage of an Upgraded Original over an Original and the Enhanced versions is its venomous bite. It is assumed their physical superiority is the result of their initial vampirism, though this is unconfirmed.
- When asked by a fan on which species is stronger, Michael Narducci replied via twitter that he personally felt they were just as strong as each other but that ultimately an Upgraded Original, with it's venomous bite and nigh invulnerability would beat the Enhanced Original in terms of a fight and superiority.
- Their predatory faces are altered to be opposite of Original vampires and non-Original vampires. An Upgraded Originals iris turns bright red instead of their sclera becoming blood red, they have their blood red veins extend further down their face like Augustine Vampires, and they possess multiple sharp fangs, not just two sharp canine teeth.
- While staking with ordinary wood can neutralize an Original vampire, Marcel was seemingly neutralized with a metal spike by one of the Hollow's acolytes, whether this is a mistake on the writer's part or if any severe trauma to the heart can render a vampire temporarily dead is unknown.