|“||You know, witches nowadays, they're into that new age stuff, but... I'm a little more old school voodoo.||”|
Voodoo is an old magical practice used by a number of witches that relies most heavily on Herbs and poppets, and dolls. Their origins remain unknown but have shown to be used by witches at least 400 years ago, most commonly used by those of the French Quarter Coven. In similar ways to Representational Magic, voodoo uses "sympathetic" magic to harm the witch's target by means of dolls and poppets that are broken or scarred with the intent to pass the same effects to the people they represent.
Throughout The Vampire Diaries Series
In Disturbing Behavior, the soothsayer, Gloria was said to practice "old-school" Voodoo using a concoction of herbs to extract information from Stefan's mind. Her knowledge of voodoo allowed her to decelerate her aging such that she was over 90 years old yet looked like she was in her 40s.
Throughout The Original Series
In Tangled Up In Blue, the witch Katie runs a shop called Jardin Gris voodoo shop, described by the witch and tourists guide Sabine Laurent, as her favorite store where tourists can take a hex or a love potion.
In Après Moi, Le Déluge, Sabine, revealed to be powerful witch Céleste Dubois, uses a Voodoo Doll filled with blood with the intent to alter the outcome of the Harvest, bringing to life three witches of her choice (Papa Tunde, Bastianna and Genevieve) rather than the Harvest Girls Abigail, Cassie, Monique and Davina.
In Fire with Fire, it was revealed that the wolf elder, Mary Dumas was acquainted with a Voodoo Queen when she was younger that taught her to burn Solomon's Seal and Snapdragon to produce magic detecting smoke.
Spells and Rituals
- Main article: Spells and Rituals
- Gloria †
- Katie † (Presumably)
- Céleste Dubois † (possessing Sabine)
- Esther Mikaelson † (possessing Lenore)
- Finn Mikaelson † (possessing Vincent)
- Nandi LaMarche (possibly)
- Voodoo Queens †
- Monique Deveraux †
- Freya Mikaelson
- Vincent Griffith
- The city of New Orleans is the birthplace of Louisiana Voodoo.
- Gloria was from Chicago and is currently the only non-New Orleans witch to use Voodoo. This is also the only instance where Voodoo is used in the Vampire Diaries.
- Voodoo is one of the many branches of witchcraft practiced by the witch covens in New Orleans, as stated by Vincent Griffith in City Beneath The Sea.