Previously on The Vampire Diaries
[A shadowy figure, presumably Katherine, is seen walking down the street.]
- YOUNG MAN: Hey! Are you part of my Uber pool? Oh my God, you’re...
[Katherine stabs him and blood is splattered onto a picture of Caroline on the parade float.]
TITLE CARD & CREDITS
[A video of Katherine stabbing the man is playing on Matt’s laptop. A woman is watching it with him.]
- MATT: So the victim was here until you closed? Did he say where he was going? If he was meeting up with anyone?
- TRUDY: No.
[Peter walks into The Grill.]
- MATT: Give me a minute.
[Matt walks over to Peter and hugs him.]
- MATT: Dad, when’d you get back?
- PETER: Just this morning. And look, I would have called ahead but I wanted to tell you in person.
[Peter looks behind him as Kelly walks into The Grill.]
- MATT: Mom?
- KELLY: Hi, Matty.
- PETER: Hey, I, uh, I thought you were gonna give me a minute with him first?
- KELLY: I saw you two talking, I couldn’t wait to see my son.
- MATT: After waiting four years since your last phone message?
- KELLY: As I remember, I asked you to call me back.
- PETER: Okay, look, look, I know it’s sudden, but you gave me a second chance. Didn’t turn out so bad, right?
- MATT: I thought you hated him for leaving us?
- KELLY: That was a lifetime ago. Things have changed since then. I was, I was actually glad to hear from him.
- PETER: I was hoping we could all get dinner tonight.
[Matt gets a text message from Alaric. It says “911”.]
- MATT: I'm not sure I'll be free.