|“||As much as I've savored the joy of tormenting you through the years, I must confess, you all mean everything to me. Your loyalty and your counsel, and your love, it's probably the only reason I've survived as long as I have. Which is why I know that long after I'm gone you will all come together, time and time again to take care of each other; and that is why I am not afraid for your future.||”|
— Klaus says goodbye to his family.
Special Guest Stars
- Antagonist: The Hollow
- This episode takes place during Mardi Gras.
- Marcel gives tickets to all the vampires, telling them they're giving the city of New Orleans back. It is unknown if he returned their daylight rings prior to this.
- This makes New Orleans a vampire-free zone since its founding. Control has presumably been handed back to the Human faction.
- Freya asks Vincent to be the father to her and Keelin's children, which he later accepts.
- In the final scene of the series to feature Klaus, Elijah, and Rebekah together. Klaus reveals to Rebekah that he asked Caroline to make sure the the Cure (which is, currently, flowing through Damon Salvatore's blood) is available, after a few decades, for her in order to use it and be able to live her life as she's always desired; as a human.
- Hayley makes a cameo appearance as a spirit, watching over Hope as she draws a portrait of her family at Freya's wedding.
- At Klaus' funeral, Elijah says: "We are bound forever by those whom we share blood. And why me not choose our family, that bond is our greatest strength." He has said this before to symbolize the bond between the Mikaelson Family.
- It's part of what Elijah was saying as he was narrating the beginning of the first episode of the series: Always and Forever.
- Rebekah and Marcel are now engaged.
- This time around Rebekah is the one to propose to Marcel, who accepts her proposal, after she said no to his back in Where You Left Your Heart.
- This episode marks the final "Always and Forever" between the Mikaelsons.
- This episode contains a continuity error. A photograph of the Mikaelsons is seen that was destroyed in The Map of Moments.
- This episode contains a deleted scene, which is considered non-canon.
- Although this episode marks Klaus' death and final appearance in The Vampire Diaries Universe, Plec notes that he could return someday; "We’ve been very liberal with the ease in which we bring people back to life. So, if one day Joseph Morgan knocked on my door I could find a way to make it work."
- Niklaus Mikaelson - White Oak Stake; killed by Elijah
- Elijah Mikaelson - White Oak Stake; killed by Klaus
- The Hollow - Klaus' death; killed by Elijah and Klaus (indirectly)
- Rebekah, Kol, Freya, Vincent and Keelin were last seen in Til the Day I Die.
- Camille was last seen through a hallucination in No Quarter.
- Mikael was last seen in a flashback and through a hallucination in I Hear You Knocking.
- Esther was mentioned. She was last seen in archive footage in Behind the Black Horizon.
- Lizzie and Josie were indirectly mentioned by Hope. They were last seen in The Tale of Two Wolves.
- The Hollow was indirectly mentioned and seen as hallucinations of Cami and Mikael. She was last seen in The Tale of Two Wolves in her spirit form.
- Gia was seen in a photo. She was last seen in Ashes to Ashes as a corpse.
- Aiden was seen in a photo. He was last seen in There in the Disappearing Light as a spirit.
- Jackson was seen in a photo. He was last seen in The Tale of Two Wolves as a spirit.
- Josh was seen in a photo. He was last seen in There in the Disappearing Light.
- Davina was mentioned and seen in a photo. She was last seen in Til the Day I Die.
- Finn and Henrik were indirectly mentioned. Finn was last seen in Behind the Black Horizon and Henrik was last seen in Wild at Heart in archive footage.
- Ivy was mentioned and seen in a photo. She was last seen in There in the Disappearing Light.
- New Orleans, Louisiana
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
Behind the Scenes
- This episode marks Marcel and Elijah's 90th appearance in The Originals.
- This episode features more special guest stars (3) than any other episode of the series.
- Joseph Morgan, Daniel Gillies, Claire Holt, Phoebe Tonkin, Charles Michael Davis, Leah Pipes, Nathaniel Buzolic, and Sebastian Roché are the only actors to appear in both the first and last episode of the series.
- Joseph Morgan is the only actor to appear in all 92 episodes of The Originals.
- The title of the episode comes from a religious song used in the Christian faith, which later became an African American spiritual.
- The song has a jazz version, which has become particularly associated with New Orleans. It is still one of the songs used today for what is known as a "jazz funeral" procession. These types of processions are unique to the New Orleans area.
- Kol: "You're lucky I didn't turn you into the world's blondest road kill."
- Rebekah: "And you're lucky I didn't crush your car like a toy you selfish prat. Our brother needs us and you scamper off like a rodent."
- Kol: "Oh, you're one to talk, shouldn't you be planning your next epic jolt of dear Marcel. Happiness is a choice you're incapable of accepting."
- Rebekah: "Go to hell, Kol."
- Kol: "No, dear sister, I'm going home to the woman I love, instead of wallowing in this toxic codependent nightmare we call family. You know that man has daggered us more times then could be counted, so if this is Niklaus' way of finally biting the big one, we should be celebrating."
- Rebekah: "What I'm celebrating is the fact that he has matured, for once in his narcissistic life he's doing something for the rest of us. If we turn our backs on him now, then we are no better then the monster he's been to us."
- Kol: "I never said I was better. You all bought into "always and forever", I didn't."
- Rebekah: "You really don't care?"
- Kol: "I don't."
- Caroline: "Klaus."
- Klaus: "Alaric's right, the ocean wont hold me, but when I've transferred the Hollow's magic out of Hope, I don't intend to drown it."
- Caroline: "What is that?"
- Elijah: "I won't allow this, Niklaus; you know that."
- Klaus: "And you know this is the only option."
- Elijah: "Don't."
- Freya: "There's not enough magic in the world to slow this down."
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.