|“||I am a vampyr. Creature of the night.||”|
THE SALVATORE SCHOOL VS MYSTIC FALLS HIGH — As the Salvatore School prepares for its annual football game against Mystic Falls High, the latest monster to arrive in Mystic Falls sets its eyes on one of the students. Landon and Josie's relationship is put to the test when a player from the opposing team catches his eye. Elsewhere, Lizzie enlists MG's help learning more about Sebastian, and Alaric goes head to head with Professor Vardemus. Hope and Rafael also appear.
- Antagonist: Malivore (indirectly), Shunka, Rupert Vardemus/Ryan Clarke
- It is revealed that Hope didn't know that Rafael used the crescent moon ring she previously gave him to turn into his wolf form. She eventually finds him and interacts with him for the first time since the events of There's Always a Loophole. She removes the ring and Rafael is returned back to his human-form but continues to adjust.
- Alaric and Vardemus meet for the first time and there is immediate tension between the two; especially in regards to teaching supernatural children. Following the Annual Charity Football Game, Vardemus asks that Alaric not set foot on campus again, claiming it's for the sake of the students under his protection, despite his daughters attendance at the school.
- The Salvatore School competes in the annual football game against Mystic Falls High.
- Sebastian and Lizzie share their first kiss. While they kiss, MG spies on them, though only sees Lizzie. It is unknown why Sebastian cannot be seen by MG.
- Vardemus eats the shunka, suggesting that he is not who he says he is.
- The Shunka Warakin is based on Native American folklore. The Shunka is a predator of werewolves.
- This episode employs the TV Trope dramatic irony. The audience is aware that Sebastian is a vampire but must watch Lizzie and MG investigate what supernatural creature he is.
- Landon and Rafael moved into what was Stefan Salvatore's old room.
- Sheriff Mac was last seen in I'll Never Give Up Hope.
- Connor was mentioned. He was last seen in There's a World Where Your Dreams Came True in a wish reality.
- Matt Donovan was mentioned. He was last seen in Hope is Not the Goal.
- Caroline was mentioned. She was last seen in I Was Feeling Epic on The Vampire Diaries and When The Saints Go Marching In on The Originals.
- The Crescent Wolf Pack was mentioned. They were last seen in We Have Not Long To Love on The Originals.
- Triad Industries was mentioned. They were last seen in There's Always a Loophole.
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
Behind the Scenes
- The title is similar to the seventh season's nineteenth episode of The Vampire Diaries, titled Somebody That I Used to Know.
- This episode's title was a line used by Sebastian.
- When Dennis remarks that vandalizing the Salvatore School was a tradition, Ethan retorts, "So is the Electoral College." The Electoral College is part of the American government that exists as a body of electors established by the U.S. Constitution for the purpose of electing the president and vice-president every four years.
- Landon remarks, "Hell of a throw, Johnny Utah," to Hope after one of the plays in the football game between Mystic Falls High School and the Salvatore School. Johnny Utah is the character played by Keanu Reeves in Kathryn Bigelow's 1991 film Point Break, who was a former quarterback for the Ohio State University Buckeyes who was an FBI agent working undercover to catch a group of bank robbers.
- Landon says "I'm not the droid you are looking for, please move along" with a hand gesture when the Shunka snarls at him. This is a reference to Star Wars, the 1977 space opera epic in which Obi-Wan Kenobi uses a Jedi mind trick to evade the notice of the Stormtroopers.
- MG refers to Ethan as "teenage Tom Brady." Tom Brady is a quarterback for the New England Patriots, an American football team based in Boston, Massachusetts.
- Alaric refers to Professor Vardemus as "Gary Poppins." This is a reference to the 1964 American musical fantasy Mary Poppins, about a magical nanny hired to take care of a dysfunctional family in Victorian England.
- Professor Vardemus: "Let us begin our annual rite of American excess."
- Josie: "The second she snaps the ball, you yell blitz and you bury little miss milkshake."
- Hope: "There is a monster in the woods and it feeds on werewolves."
- MG: "Did you see that block? I totally opened up the lane and sprung that play, in a respectful way."
- Lizzie: "Sorry, too busy figuring out if I am falling in love with a yeti."
- MG: "And?"
- Lizzie Saltzman: "Inconclusive. You are supposed to be helping me."
- MG: "Okay, I will take the next series off and dig in."
- Lizzie: "You are a really great...You are just really great, MG. I do not know what I would do without you."
- MG: "Let's figure out what to do about Sebastian first. Then we can worry about me."